Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, we know what albums you like

Default Well, we know what albums you like

What're your top ten songs of the year up to this point? This'll be the the place for lists, and when the year is done, we'll revisit and see.

1.Deerhunter-Nothing Ever Happened (It starts out like a really good Deerhunter song. About 2 minutes in, they switch to that mid section that lifts it into my favorite instrumental section from an album in ages. It's krauty, it's psychedelic, but it also becomes something more. They make a sound that is just Deerhunter, and they also make the best song of the year.)

2.Grizzly Bear-While You Wait for the Others (This isn't even officially out, but I haven't been able to stop listening since March when they played it on KCRW and then at the Disney Concert Hall. It's, quite simply, the best song Grizzly Bear's yet written. Dan's vocals are gorgeous, they've got those harmonies that they always bust out, but the melody line and song structure are more assertive than before. It's a beast, and this'll be the album of next year.)

3.High Places-From Stardust to Sentience (The first time I heard this was at a show in Chicago. The whole crowd was completely quiet and exploded in applause at the end. High Places are usually fun. Here, they're transcendent. It's a vaguely sad, old sounding track, perfect for late nights and quiet times.)

4.The Mae Shi-Party Politics (I've had more fun with this album than anything else on the list, and this song always gets me the most pumped. It's got that 90s punk song feel, so I get the nostalgia, and it always gets the crowd moving like crazy.)

5.Dodos-Jodi (After seeing them open for Akron/Family, I had to find out what the one song that sounded like a mix between Led Zeppelin 3 and an upbeat Elliott Smith. This was it. Everything on the album is great, but this one stands out the most for me.)

6.No Age-Ripped Knees (They jack the riff from Where Were You by the Mekons for the opening, and then they blow the door off. I think this is the most energetic song off Nouns, and it fits so well.)

7.Vivian Girls-Tell the World (I keep thinking of this as the Velvet Underground song on this album. They don't hide the fact that they love old rock music, and this sounds like a great mix between MBV fuzz, girl group harmonies and early VU darkness.)

8.Department of Eagles-Nobody Does it Like You (Dan Rossen can do no wrong. This could be a Grizzly Bear song, but it's more personal, less lush, and just as good.)

9.TV on the Radio-Dancing Choose (The start of the song is good. Really good, in fact. I like the fast vocals into the chorus that's catchy. What seals it for me is the end. The vocals cut out and the horns kick up, and I'm in love.)

10.Marnie Stern-The Crippled Jazzer (Lightning Bolt has a song called Riffwraith; I think Marnie might be one. This song rocks, and that's why I like it. Simple.)

And that's in order. I'll maybe go thru and say why in a little bit.
    Last edited by bmack86; 10-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: Well, we know what albums you like

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    4.The Mae Shi-Party Politics
    Of All the songs off of HLLLYH, this is an interesting choice

care to elaborate???

i'm about to leave, but i'll definately get a list up and running soon.

I love the old school punk sound after all the electropoppunk madness. It works perfectly. The other contender would be Hlllyh for that ending section.

bmack, will you please teach a free university class on music .. i would be the first to sign up ...x***
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I'd like to. It'd be a blast.

1. Jamie Lidell - Another Day (This song is possibly the most fun, happy and danceable song of the year. I love it a rediculous amount)

2. Portishead - The Rip (I still cannot get over how beautiful this song was live at Coachella. Also, hearing Radiohead cover it was simply amazing)

3. Sigur Ros - Festival (This is my favorite song from their new album, and it was favorite song of the night when I saw them the other night. This song is phenomenal in every aspect possible. Fuck it. No words can describe it properly. Go listen to it right now if you havent already goddammit!!!)

4. Monotonix - Body Language (This song rocks hard. Not only that, but it is brilliantly crafted. I love how raw rock n roll the verse is, and how staggerinly different the chorus. I can't explain what it sounds like, but its awesome)

5. Man Man - The Ballad of Butterbeans (One of the standout tracks of Rabbit Habits. The ferocity it is played with live is also quite wonderful. Also, my girlfriend and I have an inside joke about this song, and it always makes me laugh)

6. Portishead - Magic Doors (My favorite song off of Third when I first listened to it. The song is so odd, yet beautiful. Possibly my favorite vocal performance of Beths. It doesnt really have a psychadelic sound, but it has a psychadelic feel. I quite enjoy it)

7. The Raconteurs - Carolina Drama (Perfect story telling in the form of a song. I can imagine it unfolding as I am listening to it. Also, it blew my mind live.)

8. Weezer - Pork and Beans (Next to "Another Day" this is definately the most fun song of the year. A return to form for Weezer. When I heard this song, I had faith Weezer was going return to thier Blue Album/Pinkerton glory days. Well, their new album didn't suck as bad as their last two, but it was a far cry from their original work. This song is still great though)

9. dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Not Kill (Seriously. This song is great. As Scroobius Pip [now] says "Thou shalt not read Pitchfork." These guys were awesome at Coachella. Much better than I expected. Also, I love the line "Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Dekker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret in vein")

10. Yeasayer - Amblin' Amps (This song hasn't actually been released on an album yet, but I really couldn't care less. I watched Yeasayer on the Lolla broadcast, and this was the song they opened with. I have been a fan ever since. The bass line for this song is great, and the entire song is incredibly catchy and infectous.)

Honourable Mention: MGMT - Kids
    Last edited by rage patton; 10-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Whatever that current Santogold single is ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Well I had a long list prepared and lost it, so here's the short-form:

1. Shake A Fist - Hot Chip
    2. Time To Pretend - MGMT
    3. Silence - Portishead
    4. Brown Bike - Nortec Collective
    5. He Doesn't Know Why - Fleet Foxes
    6. By Torpedo or Crohns - Why?
    7. Vampires - Thievery Corporation
    8. Yes - Coldplay
    9. Who's Gonna Save My Soul? - Gnarls Barkley
    10. Bixby Canyon Bridge - Death Cab for Cutie

Honorable mentions:
    - Nothing Ever Happened - Deerhunter
    - Letter From God to Man - dan le sac VS Scroobius Pip
    - Gypsy March - Grand Ole Party
    - Louis Riel - Grand Archives
    - Can't Say No - The Helio Sequence
    - Soul On Fire - Spiritualized
    - Out of Reaches - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
    - Walcott - Vampire Weekend
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Whatever that current Santogold single is ???
    a Santogold song will def. be in my top 10. can't wait for tomorrow's show.

awww you're seeing santogold tomorrow? color me jealous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

yup i'm going with my brothers, and my best friends.

I really like her album
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Judging from these lists, I could totally hang out with rage and PT. If I feel like it later, I'll edit and add my top 10.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

I'm still trying to catch up on '08 music, so for the most part I'm not familiar with a lot of the albums on a song by song basis. I hope I'll have less trouble coming up with ten at the end of the year.

Portishead - We Carry On
    The best song Silver Apples never wrote.

Excepter - Kill People
    This song is completely irredeemable. The most anti-social song I can think of since Six Finger Satellite's "Do The Suicide."

Gnarls Barkley - Going On
    I loved it 30 seconds into the first time I heard it. I think I understand why people go to church.

Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor
    I get this stuck in my about 20 times a day.

The Raveonettes - Dead Sound
    Somewhere between Suicide and Jesus & Mary Chain, which is a very good place to be.

Fuck Buttons - Sweet Love For The Planet Earth
    Really beautiful, especially for what is essentially a noise track.

Air France - Collapsing At Your Doorstep
    This song is just ridiculous with all the different kinds of cheese it throws together, but it all works really well together and ends up being really affecting.

Lindstrom - Where You Go I Go Too
    It's practically the whole album, but I love excessively long tracks, especially when they're as hypnotic as this.

Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
    So far, the best song on Microcastle. Still, Deerhunter already recorded the best song they'll ever write last year.

El Guincho - Prez Lagarto
    This song is a serious fucking party. Awesome percussion.

Portishead - The Rip
    Third stands so much higher in my mind than any other release of 08...I could list almost any track from Third but The Rip will have to hold it down at number 1.

The Verve - Love is Noise
    I've been in love with this song since I first heard it at Coachella. Enough said.

Beck - Volcano
    My favorite song on Modern Guilt and one of Beck's best ever, imo.

Ladytron - Versus
    An acoustic guitar!!? Yes..and it ends Velocifero perfectly. I could have easily picked Black Cat, Ghosts, or Burning Up....a GREAT album from Ladytron.

Fuck Buttons - Sweet Love for Planet Earth
    I just love the way this track starts the album and slowly takes the listener from light into the darkness that follows.

Jazz Liberatorz - Ease My Mind (featuring Tre and Fatlip from Pharcyde)
    This is the best jazzy hip-hop album I've heard in a very long time. If you enjoy Digable Planets or some of the jazzier A Tribe Called Quest, you'll love this release...I can't stop listening to it.

Goldfrapp - Little Bird
    I much prefer Seventh Tree to their last two and really, I think it's Goldfrapp's best album. Little Bird is my favorite track.

The Presets - This Boy's In Love
    The Presets obviously translate much better live than on album but this track from Apocalypso, along with The Girl and the Sea from Beams, indicate to me that The Presets have a truly great album in them.

Clinic - Free Not Free
    Clinic's Do It!. Mellow, psychedelic and weird..love this track..Clinic is badass.

Lykke Li - Breaking It Up
    Probably the best new voice I've heard this year; itís hard to believe that Youth Novels is her first album.

06/30 Jack White - L'Olympia
    07/01 Slow Magic - Le Batofar
    07/29 Boris - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/03 Shonen Knife - Red 7
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/12 The Horrors - The Parish
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

NIN - Lights in the Sky
    Black Keys - Ocean & Streams
    Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save Your Soul
    M.I.A. - XR2
    Erykah Badu - Me
    Atmosphere - In Her Music Box
    Grand Ole Party - Gypsy March
    The Roots - 75 Bars
    Raconteurs - Top Yourself
    Ratatat - Gettysburg
    Beck - Volcano
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

I've opened a page of my notebook to start listing all the single tracks I love that have come out this year - 10 is hard. I might have to work out 10 by genre and then try to somehow deal them together. Projects rule!
    You were right. I was wrong.

thestripe

I love the old school punk sound after all the electropoppunk madness. It works perfectly. The other contender would be Hlllyh for that ending section.
    I think Kingdom Come works perfectly into the album. Just when you start to think that 30+ mins of screaming hypopoppunk madness might get annoying Kingdom Come drops and turns the album into a different beast. But the song probably doesn't stand up as a single so it won't make my list.

I've been wanting to say that for a while. I'll post my list in a bit.

thestripe have you listened to Jay Reatard?

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    I think Kingdom Come works perfectly into the album. Just when you start to think that 30+ mins of screaming hypopoppunk madness might get annoying Kingdom Come drops and turns the album into a different beast. But the song probably doesn't stand up as a single so it won't make my list.

I've been wanting to say that for a while. I'll post my list in a bit.
    People seem to either love or hate Kingdom Come. I think it's perfect in the sequencing of the album. Especially the way it starts with pieces of tracks we've already heard, heads into snips of tracks from the rest of the album, and then explodes into a fullblown electro house blast.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by real talk View Post
    thestripe have you listened to Jay Reatard?
    No. Recommended, real?

cool thread, when i have time i'll give this some thought.

thestripe

I've opened a page of my notebook to start listing all the single tracks I love that have come out this year - 10 is hard. I might have to work out 10 by genre and then try to somehow deal them together. Projects rule!
    I was going to go at this all willy-nilly like, but have decided to put a little more effort into it. I will have the list sometime soon. I have some re-listening to do.

I can't rate them I love all of them equally I suppose

TV on the Radio – DLZ
    Wolf Parade – Kissing the Beehive
    Portishead – Machine Gun
    The Hold Steady – One for the Cutters
    Subtle – Unlikely Rock Shock
    Why? – These Few Presidents
    Santogold – Shove It
    Mountain Goats – Lovecraft in Brooklyn
    Raconteurs- Five on the Five
    Local H – The One With “Kid”

Beck-Volcano
    Nothing really more to say about this song. Beck is hurting. He doesnt know which way he's going. He's tired of people, he's tired of evil. I'll go to that Volcano with him.

The Raconteurs-These Stones Will Shout
    Amzing album, but this one *really* stands out for me. The fact that I never saw it live really hurts.

My Morning Jacket-Highly Suspicious
    Maybe not the best song on "Evil Urges" but dammit, this is the one that made my eyes pop out, my ears open up and my pants a little tighter. If it wasnt for this song, I possible may have continued my life without MMJ in it.

The Black Keys-I Got Mine
    Such a hard choice. It was either this or "Oceans & Streams" and since that song is getting some love, I chose this. Classic Black Keys up until Danger Mouse shoots his load all over it with psychadelic "oohs" and "ahhs".

Does It Offend you, Yeah?-Let's Make Out!
    Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out! Let's Make Out!

Hot Chip-Shake a Fist
    Same problem souldischarge has with "ready for the floor". this song will never leave my head.

Madonna-Give It 2 Me
    I dare you to listen to this song and not want to dance. What, you chicken? Do it. Go ahead, I'm waiting. I have all day.

Gnarls Barkely-Whatever
    Jesus Christ this is Danger Mouse's year. "The Odd Couple" is just so fucking good. I just chose my original favorite song off that album (it changes from week to week)

R.E.M.-Man-Sized Wreath
    wow!

The Roots-75 Bars (Black reconstruction)<==fuck yeah ally!!
    gangster shit right here.

Flight of the Conchords-Boom
    Fast-Forward Selector!

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    No. Recommended, real?
    I think you will like him.

This couldn't be called "top 10 songs of the 2008?"
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Nope.

I think you will like him.
    I think you will too. Given what I know of your taste...

I haven't been able to stop listening to the singles collection the last couple weeks...