Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 4 shows you've attended EVER and WHY

Default Top 4 shows you've attended EVER and WHY

So what were the top 4 shows you've went to. And why! (yes, 4. Not 5 or 2 or 10, four!)
    Insomniacs want deets to read at these late hours.

Even if it was a festival gig, discuss....(maybe it wasn't even the show, but the crowd...or just the visuals that amazed you..whatever)

I'll post mine later, as my attention span is limited at this late drunken hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Default Re: Top 4 shows you've attended EVER and WHY

1. Beastie Boys - Hiro Ballroom, NYC, Oct 4th, 2006, 400 people, benefit show...met all the guys after, twas fuckin unreal...setlist was great too...

2. Daft Punk headlining Lollapalooza 2007.... the set creamed the LA set I saw 2 weeks before this, the audience were fully into it, i was nice and close, it was a feel good vibe, and they dropped some new mixes and tweaks...

3. Ed Banger party with Justice, Sebastian, DJ Mehdi, Busy P and So Me, March 2007 - twas my 1st ever electronic DJ set concert ever...my 1st taste of that music, and had an insane night, hearing great music till 5am... got Ed Banger stickers from Busy P aswell.

4. Gogol Bordello - The Metro Lollapalooza after show 08... Just fuckin insane. Longest set ive ever seen by them, 1h53min, great setlist, insane energy from the band and crowd...

of course, #4 is up for debate with some great shows like U2, Bad Religion in Anaheim, Massive Attack at the Roseland Ballroom, Tool...
    Last edited by paulb; 10-08-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

don't care what anyone says, roger waters #1, portishead #2, iron maiden/dio/motorhead #3, and the smashing pumpkins secret gig in santa cruz (3 hours of nonstop pumpkins)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

#4 - Arcade Fire - Lollapalooza '05

I was on the front rail, my first time seeing arcade fire, and this was reasonably early in my concert career, I had never seen anything like this energy. Win jumped out into the crowd right next to me. Plus, the set was the perfect length, they played everything on Funeral and No Cars Go. Perfect pacing.

#3 Sigur Ros - Theater at Madison Square Garden

Sigur Ros had been a favorite of mine ever since I bought Agaetis Byrjun on import in 2001. My girlfriend at the time secretly bought me tickets to the show for my birthday and we took the train down 5 hours together to see this. The set was Takk heavy, which was good for me, and I had been keeping up on setlists throughout the tour so I knew what to expect. Billy Joel was playing in the arena upstairs at the time, and during Heysatan, there was a clicking noise coming from the ceiling that threw he band off. They finished the song fine, and then huddled in the back for a minute, then Jonsi got out a lyric sheet and sidled up to the mic and in that tiny accent said "Vee are sarry fur da cleeking noise, vee will play thees for you instead." They started, and for the only time on the entire tour they played Staraflur (the song that got me into them, and one of, if not my single, favorite song of theirs.) Then, of course, Popplagio was the biggest shit my pants moment of my concert career.

#2 - Pixies - Lollapalooza '05

Pixies reunion set, first headlining set at the first destination festival I ever attended. I was on the front rail, and most of the little kids were over waiting for weezer at a different stage. They played everything I wanted to hear, and I was RIGHT in front of Kim Deal. Pretty fucking magical.

#1 Radiohead - Bonnaroo '06

Favorite band, (very arguably) the best set they've played for a first timer. 28 song set, and yes, people say they did 25 on a lot of this recent tour, but what people don't realize is that is 28 songs with 5 IR tracks, not 10/11, meaning we got 23 RH catalog songs. Plus, the band was having a great, loose time, I was on the center railing halfway to the soundboard, ie PERFECT, and there was a glow stick shower in the crowd that crept all the way from back to front of 70,000 people during house of cards, prompting thom to just stare out at the crowd.

Honorable mentions:
    MMJ for 4 hours at bonnaroo 08, Beck and the Flaming Lips playing together as one band at an old 2,000 movie palace from the 20's and I had front row seats.

Hippie

I was also there for your #4, 2, and 1. If I were to list mine, 3 of the 4 would be MMJ shows, and that's kind of lame to have one band be 75% of the list so I'll have to think about this for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    4. Gogol Bordello - The Metro Lollapalooza after show 08... Just fuckin insane. Longest set ive ever seen by them, 1h53min, great setlist, insane energy from the band and crowd...
    GODFUCKINGDAMMIT!!! I had tickets to that show but somewhere between Gogol Bordello, Bloc Party and Radiohead I got really sick. I was fucking miserable. I figured there was no way in hell I'd make it to that show and already saw them once today so I'll live. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

I'll have to put some thought into this one, but off the top of my head:

1. Gogol Bordello at the Fonda

2. Beck/The Decemberists at the Universal Ampitheatre

3. Flaming Lips/Gnarls Barkley/Cat Power at the Galen Center

4. Radiohead at the Bowl Night 2

I'll give my reasons later.

I don't need no stinkin' reasons:

1. Prince (at Coachella)
    2. Daft Punk (at Vegoose)
    3. Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)
    4. Ramones (when they were all still alive)
    Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 10-08-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Top 5, not 4.... I refuse to participate

1.Boredoms at the Henry Fonda-eYe sprained his ankle at this show because he was performing with such intensity. Three songs in just under two hours, just drums, programming and the Sepeta. Throughout the show, everyone was going batshit, but afterwards, people walked out in silence. It was religious.

2.Joanna Newsom at the Walt Disney Concert Hall-She played all of Ys with the LA philharmonic (including a fair number of people who actually worked on the album) as well as her band, and it sounded perfect. Then a second set with just her and the band, followed by a few solo songs. It was a great, great performance.

3.Sigur Ros at the Hollywood Bowl-It's legendary already, and with good reason. There was so much power, and I don't think the Bowl's ever been louder. They connected in such a big way.

4 (Tie).Man Man at the Roxy-Man Man always have energy, but this show was to the next level. The whole crowd was one giant dancing mass, and they thrived off that. I didn't even like Man Man before this; they are now amongst my favorite acts, because of this show.

4 (Tie).The Mae Shi at the Echo Curio-They hadn't played LA in months, which is insane for them, and they came back with all guns blazing. A fantastic show packed with tons of old material they hadn't played in about a year, and almost the whole Hlllyh album. I wound up playing guitar noise at the end of the show, as Jeff slung his axe over my shoulders and went into the mosh pit. The best Mae Shi show I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.
    Last edited by bmack86; 10-15-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

1. Coachella 2008-Sets from Prince, Portishead, Roger Waters, My Morning Jacket, Rilo Kiley, Dan Deacon and on and on on. We saw legends.

2. Peal Jam -Soldier Field Chicago 1995 I don't know what took me so long to get into this band but they sold me that night. Impressive fucking show. I had nose bleed seats but insane energy and they played until the lights came on. This would be the vitalogy tour.

3. Wilco w/ Calexico - The Marquee Theater, Tempe, AZ 2004. This was the last time Wilco has been in the valley, this show came less than a month after I flew to Chicago to see them and was underwhelmed in their hometown. Amazing show. Awesome sound. Calexico were on fire that night as well as they teared up Feast of Wire tracks and later Calexico's horn section joined Wilco on stage for encores. Best set list I ever saw from Wilco, Tweedy was in a great mood and the show killed.

#4 Beck- Aragon Ballroom Chicago Midnight Vultures Tour-This was probably the 5th or 6th time seeing him at this point. He was on fire this night. This is probably the first tour he had any sort of stage production as well and trust me it was minimal. I think the disco ball and lights were all it was comprised of. He ripped through a killer 90 minute set that was action packed and he was acting crazy all night long. The highlite being the full disco version of Debra. Flat out awesome!

Shonen Knife --> The Breeders --> Nirvana
    12/05/93 - Dallas Fair Park Coliseum
    Best show of my life (age 15). The GA floor was the most intense pit I've ever encountered..Cobain stopped the show during Drain You to settle the crowd down a bit. The unplugged encore included Man Who Sold the World, Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam, Where Did You Sleep Last Night....AMAZING

Jim Rose Circus --> Marilyn Manson --> Nine Inch Nails
    10/29/94 - Dallas - Fair Park Coliseum
    Insane show from beginning to end. Jim Rose Circus was disturbing, Manson circa 94 was even more fucked up and NIN touring for The Downward Spiral was unforgettable.

TOOL
    11/7/96 - Dallas - Bronco Bowl
    Maynard painted blue from head to toe - very intense - by far the best of the 12 Tool shows I've attended.

best setlist ever:
    Third Eye
    Stinkfist
    46 & 2
    Prison Sex
    Eulogy
    Jimmy
    Cold & Ugly
    Pushit
    H
    Sober
    Opiate
    Aenima

Coachella 08 - Roger Waters
    Coachella ambiance, DSOTM, fireworks, flying pig, prism rainbow laser, insane violin solo, fireballs, the sound, airplanes...The sheer spectacle alone gets it a spot on my list.

Edit: Since we're apparently including entire festivals, I claim all of Coachella 08 as number four.
    Last edited by TonyWonder; 10-08-2008 at 11:33 AM.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

1. Bjork at Coachella '07 (kinda tied with Bjork in Vegas '07)
    2. Radiohead @ Chula Vista '08
    3. Sigur Ros @ Paramount theater Oakland '06
    4. Gogol -> Tegan and Sara -> Cake @ Vegas '06
    5. Daft Punk @ Coachella '06
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

#1 - Coachella '04 because it was my first Coach experience, it was such a beautiful weekend, one i have repeated every year since and will be introducing my children to someday.

#2 - my first concert ever(on my own, not counting one or two with the parents when i was a kid), the epitaph summer nationals at the palladium back in '94. bad religion, nofx, rkl, gas huffer, and a few others. just an amazing night of punk. i still have the concert tee hanging in my closet.

#3 - metallica in '94 at glen helen pavillion in san bernardino. i got up at 6am to wait in line at the wherehouse on 17th street in costa mesa. i was first in line and when tix went on sale i got 12th row! ah, the days before the internet, when fans could actually get great seats. kirk hammett was my guitar hero in those days and i was close enough that he made eye contact with me several times. i even caught one of his picks at the end of the show. pure bliss.

#4 - kinda a tie between seeing brian wilson with my mom at disney hall and a random guttermouth show back in the mid 90's. brian wilson because my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after. knowing we had that great night together and not knowing if she would make it made me appreciate our time together that much more. guttermouth because my dad drove me 1 1/2 hours from our home in newport to san bernardino just so i could see the show. he went and saw a movie while waiting for the show to end. this was right after my lung disease began taking its toll on me. we had just moved and i was pretty much a loner at school because i was never there to make friends due to being home sick for months on end. there were many other shows my dad drove me to so i could feel at least a little "normal" once in awhile, but this one stands out.

there are many others out of the 400+ i have attended over the last 14 years or so. and while the above may not have been the best performances, they hold the fondest memories overall.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 10-08-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post
    Coachella 08 - Roger Waters
    Coachella ambiance, DSOTM, fireworks, flying pig, prism rainbow laser, insane violin solo, fireballs, the sound, airplanes...The sheer spectacle alone gets it a spot on my list.

#4 - Sigur Ros at Red Rocks

This is my favorite venue and you'll definitely notice that as the list goes on. They are one of the tightest bands I've ever heard and the crowd was really good. That's about the most silent crowd I've ever been in that wasn't in a theater. At a certain point, I forgot I was at a concert. The music just grabbed me that much. They closed, as always, with "Untitled 8". That was maybe the best song I've ever seen live. Just such a magical night and I am now an official Sigur Ros junkie.

#3 - Muse at Red Rocks

I've seen them 4 other times, but this was the best of the bunch. I was basically mind-fucked by their energy and lights. Definitely one of the loudest bands I've ever heard. Opening with "Knights of Cydonia" set table perfectly. This is really one of the best live bands out there and I would support them playing Coachella next year.

#1a. - My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks

Yup, another Red Rocks show. I was sitting in the 5th row and my skull was crushed for 3 hours. It doesn't matter how you feel about them on record, this band is a must-see in a live setting. Every last one of their songs sounds way more full in concert. Even "Highly Suspicious" sounded ok. If I had to pick a highlight, it would probably be "Run Thru". That was the second to last song. "Dondante" was another personal favorite. Methinks they're the best live American band out there right now. For my personal taste anyway.

#1b. - Radiohead in Chula Vista

They are my favorite band and that was the first time I had seen them. I went in expecting a great show, but it honestly exceeded my expectations. I had chills at every point during their set. Some of my favorite songs were "Street Spirit" "How To Disappear Completely" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place." The only other band that I've seen that comes close to how crisp Radiohead sounded was Tool. The lights were excellent, but it was more about seeing my favorite band for the first time and just how incredible they sounded.

Honorable Mentions: Tool (Albuquerque), Nine Inch Nails (Albuquerque), Daft Punk (Vegoose), Pearl Jam (Bonnaroo)

#1 - INXS. Point Theater, Dublin, Dec17, 1990. My first real show and I was literally blown away on so many levels. I have rarely seen a band so on fire and a crowd so into it. Astonishing.

#2 - The Frames, The Paradise, Boston, ~2003. They were touring For The Birds and their set had, for me, the perfect mix of then current material and older stuff. Intense, intense, intense.

#3 - The Stunning, Garter Lane Theater, Waterford, Ireland, ~1993. Unknown in the US, these guys were a big deal back then in Ireland. They played a small (iirc ~250 cap) show to support Amnesty International. It was the kind of show where you come home and start looking the classifieds for guitars.

#4 - Kraftwerk - Coachella '08. I went to Coachella specifically to see these guys and I was not disappointed. So much control of their music. Wonderful, wonderful music.

Honorable mentions to Portishead @ Primavera '08, Daft Punk @ Vegoose, MMJ in Portland 1/07, The Prodigy in Waterford, '94 or '95.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

#1 - Radiohead at Bayside night 1, 6/26/06. My favorite band at my favorite venue, perfect weather & beautiful sunset.

#2 - Massive Attack at Open Air Theater 9/20/06. Small venue, great show, played all of my favorite songs.

#3 - Pixies at Street Scene 7/30/05. They seemed to be having tons of fun, I was blown away, crowd was totally digging it, good times.

#4 - tie between NIN in 06, my 1st Coachella, Thievery Corporation at a way over-capacity 4th & B, and a ton of others.

most of these shows are in the recent past ....i have a lot of current but i am thinking most of mine are years ago... i will have to think about it too ... x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

1. DAFT PUNK 2006@COACHELLA...Do I even need to explain?
    2. DAFT PUNK 2007@L.A...That whole building had to look like it was moving to the beat from the outside cuz I don't think a single person at that sold out show was sitting or standing still!
    3. ROGER WATERS@COACHELLA2008...Once you've shared a trip to The Dark Side of the Moon with that many people, your life feels complete.
    4. AEROSMITH/VAN HALEN... No specific dates, but @ 5x each? Good Memories!
    Damn! Once I got started on this list I realized Top4 wasn't enough!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    most of these shows are in the recent past ....i have a lot of current but i am thinking most of mine are years ago... i will have to think about it too ... x****
    Ha,ha,ha! Ron, "recent past?" That is like the 70's to the present, right? (I like the way you think!)
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

not in any specific order:
    -coachella 2007
    -coachella 2008
    -queens of the stone age @ the kool haus, september 200(2? 3?)
    <2000 people, and the distillers opening, working the packed room into an absolute mob scene. this was the prime era for QOTSA. three full-blown frontmen in nick oliveri, josh homme, and mark laenegan. during the first 1 1/2 of the almost 2 1/2 hours that they blew apart the venue, the band and the crowd in the kool haus (one of five rooms at the guvernment complex) managed to consume every last drop of alcohol in the ENTIRE BUILDING, at which point members of security apparently made a run to the marriott hotel two blocks away to find the band more tequila. running through the entire history of their brand of music, from "covered in punks' blood" to a fifteen minute balls-out jam of "the song for the dead". this is the show that inspired me to start drumming.
    -daft punk- alive 2007 @ arrow hall

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    #1 - INXS. Point Theater, Dublin, Dec17, 1990. My first real show and I was literally blown away on so many levels. I have rarely seen a band so on fire and a crowd so into it. Astonishing.

#2 - The Frames, The Paradise, Boston, ~2003. They were touring For The Birds and their set had, for me, the perfect mix of then current material and older stuff. Intense, intense, intense.

#3 - The Stunning, Garter Lane Theater, Waterford, Ireland, ~1993. Unknown in the US, these guys were a big deal back then in Ireland. They played a small (iirc ~250 cap) show to support Amnesty International. It was the kind of show where you come home and start looking the classifieds for guitars.

#4 - Kraftwerk - Coachella '08. I went to Coachella specifically to see these guys and I was not disappointed. So much control of their music. Wonderful, wonderful music.

Honorable mentions to Portishead @ Primavera '08, Daft Punk @ Vegoose, MMJ in Portland 1/07, The Prodigy in Waterford, '94 or '95.
    Kraftwerk? How are they in control of their music besides pressing the button on the laptop? I liked it, but I didn't get any feel that they were 'performing' anything...Just my opinion...and i'll say again...i enjoyed the show very much.
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

I'll limit myself to only one Radiohead show...

1. Radiohead - Hollywood Bowl night 2, 2008
    Third row between Thom and Jonny, Talk Show Host, True Love Waits, Tell Me Why, Go Slowly, Cymbal Rush, plus a great selection of classics like Karma Police and Fake Plastic Trees, and No Surprises.

2. Sigur Ros - Avalon 2005
    RAIL! SETLIST! Met someone I'm still friends with over 3 years later. First time seeing them and what a way to cap off what started off as the absolute worst day ever. Performance was the definition of epic, killer setlist, great intimate venue.

3. Arcade Fire - Troubadour night 2, 2005
    It was unbelievable seeing such an epic band in such a tiny venue. Said venue could not contain that energy. I said they would be a perfect festival band, which is what they became. Sadly, now that they are so big, they play large amphitheaters, and that intimacy is forever lost. But not the epicness.

4. Portishead - Coachella 2008
    Holy shit, I actually got to see Portishead. Set was too short, though.

Honorable mention:
    Jarvis Cocker @ Coachella, Daft Punk @ Coachella, Prince @ Coachella, Roger Waters @ Coachella, Morrissey @ The Norva, Muse @ Wiltern, Pixies @ Coachella, Massive Attack @ Coachella, R.E.M. @ Hollywood Bowl
    Last edited by Boourns; 10-08-2008 at 09:20 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Jimmy
    Jealous never got this one
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie

1) Prodigy at Club Nation in 2006 - my first concert ever with my favorite group of all time.

2) Radiohead at Nissan Pavilion 2008 - first Radiohead gig with a near perfect setlist

3) Kraftwerk at Coachella 2008

4) Aphex Twin at Coachella 2008

honorable mentions go to: Portishead, Gogol Bordello, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Booka Shade, Nine Inch Nails, and Roger Waters.

Ozzfest 07, ozzy, free show, never wear a hooters shirt to concert you attend with your father!

Coachella 07-snuck in that year, caught Bjork, AMazing! why, shes crazy.

coachella 08-
    Roger waters-i had no idea how epic that was going to be! holly fuckin god is all i gotta say.

Prince- ok so the gospel thing hes got goin on is kinda gay n i kinda felt like i was in church but he put on a great show n that woman who came out n sang with him got me crying my eyes out it was beautiful.

portishead-the girl can sing and put on a greaaat show, i woke up on E n to the sound of the drums n her voice that day<3

coachealla 06- yyys, KAREN O<3
    Last edited by brenda; 10-08-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    WHERES LILY ALLEN?

best setlist ever:
    Third Eye
    Stinkfist
    46 & 2
    Prison Sex
    Eulogy
    Jimmy
    Cold & Ugly
    Pushit
    H
    Sober
    Opiate
    Aenima
    Ooo, I'm jealous of H. and Third Eye and Opiate. Which version of Pushit did you get?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Anyone who was there this past year and doesn't say Portishead must be deaf cause I've seen Radiohead and all these others listed and you all are just fooled by lights.

this statement does not include Ron obviously
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Radiohead's lights aren't elaborate enough to be completely fooled by them. They sounded THAT good to me in concert. Muse......maybe. But I like Muse's music so the combo was just insane.