Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: House of Blues Sunset Strip to Close?

Default Re: House of Blues Sunset Strip to Close?

FUCK HOB SUNSET!!
    Upcoming Shows: Updated

Over the years of HOB Sunset, I've seen a few different Wu Tang related shows, Pharcyde, Cypress Hill a few times, the Roots...and while not having specific statistics, the incidence of violence at shows I've seen there has been rather high

...and the parking sucks
    '99-'11...

Hippie

I love how you have a 12 year old daughter and you still find a way to make it out to all of these hip hop shows. You are the man. Me and Sushov were looking for your Rockies shirt at Detour but couldn't find you. Maybe next time.

oh yeah and by the way my car got towed there at Lupe Fiasco i parked down the street and didn't see the permit parking only sign...damn

Eh, I never really liked the venue.

It can close only after KILLING JOKE this thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    oh yeah and by the way my car got towed there at Lupe Fiasco i parked down the street and didn't see the permit parking only sign...damn
    nice thing about having a handicaped placard, those signs don't mean shit...

back in '97 or so i had an industry card for that place, talk about a score! could get into pretty much any show +1 for free, plus access to the foundation room. the restaurant up there had some amazing views of the city. came in handy on first dates - wine 'em, dine 'em, 69 'em...
    Last edited by JustSteve; 10-06-2008 at 08:47 PM.

I hate this fucking venue anyways... Good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I love how you have a 12 year old daughter and you still find a way to make it out to all of these hip hop shows. You are the man. Me and Sushov were looking for your Rockies shirt at Detour but couldn't find you. Maybe next time.
    I'm only 31, so I'm still in my concert going prime, I just keep my parenting priorities straight, and go to as many shows as I can. I can't go to everything obviously, daughter comes first, but I would be insane without going to shows!

I got to Detour really late, right before Gogol Bordello..so it was almost dark when I got there..my daughter ended up getting really sick and not feeling like going with me, so I ended up scrambling last minute to get a friend to go... we'll have to meet up next time!!
    '99-'11...

ive only seen a few punk shows at that hob, and there was never any violence. thats too bad if they close it. i wish it showed which artists were playing during those incidents in the article. that huge brawl that closed down the strip sounds pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    As long as GWAR gets to play.

And, to be clear, I'm not kidding about this. I'm probably going to go, just to be amazed as they play.
    man, i didnt know gwar is touring, ill have to go if they play my hood. the only time i saw them, their blood squirting system was broken, and they would just have their roadies throw buckets of blood into the crowd every now and then. i need a real gwar experience.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

I can look up all these incidents. Ill crossmatch with old HOB emails with show schedules. ( i know nerdy, but yeah)

August 5th - Dillinger Escape Plan = chair throw (i was there)

Sept 4th - Shinedown

July 15th - Rusted Root

July 7th - David Banner

June 30th - Punta Cartel with David Rolas, Crooked Stylo, Samy Cultura, Libaya Baba, J Smooth, Garif, La Demencia, Funkdamental Sound System, DJ Larios, DJ Joe Matrix, DJ Berto Staylee (MC), DJ J Dug (MC)

June 26th - O.A.R.

April 26th - The Dan Band

March 28th - Too Short

Feb 27th - Every Time I Die, From First To Last, The Bled, August Burns Red and Human Abstract
    Last edited by suprefan; 10-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.

So, that looks like a really random selection of genres.

Hippie

Well the two "in and out of consciousness at location. Fire rescue unit required" were at two shitty jam band shows that obviousy had people with shitty drugs there, no surprise. One heavy metal mosh pit mishap, happens all the time, and all of the rest are hip hop related, makes sense. Oh and everyone at the Shinedown show was just really fucking pissed that they actual paid money to see such a craptastic band.

Dillinger isnt heavy metal. They just own your face when you see them play.

Hippie

I was talking about Feb 27th, but nvm that's not metal either, it's a bunch of ATDI wannabe fucks.

Yeah HOB Sunset is a lame venue.

wow i must be the only one that like sunset ,then again i've only been there once to see sts9.I almost killed myself being pissed drunk and almost falling headfirst on a curve outside in the smoking area .Got my wristband tooken away but got another one somehow and kept on drinking ended up with a $80 tab for the SHITLOAD of guniness i drank.Plus i drank a flask of whiskey before the show.

But anyways i really like how blue it got inside because of the ceiling.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Dillinger isnt heavy metal. They just own your face when you see them play.
    This. I was also at this show. They kill it every fucking time. The fragmented pieces of my ear drums are still recovering.

Sunset Strip's House of Blues reportedly slated for demolition
    By August Brown contact the reporter

This article is related to: Los Angeles Hotels, Live Nation

August 5, 2014, 2:24 PM

The Sunset Strip could be losing another music venue..

According to a Bloomberg report, the West Hollywood outpost of the national House of Blues music venue chain will be demolished to make way for a new hotel complex. Construction is scheduled to take place sometime toward the end of 2015.

The venue, which opened in 1994 and is operated by Live Nation, became known for hosting hip-hop and R&B shows alongside a mixed slate of rock and gospel acts.

The House of Blues site is one of many older Sunset Strip properties slated for redevelopment in favor of luxury hotel complexes. Bloomberg reports that developer Combined Properties is planning a mixed-use complex with 40 condos, 149 hotel rooms and an on-site entertainment facility.

The move is the latest shift in the Strip's music scene, which has changed dramatically over the last few years. Promoter Goldenvoice recently took over the longtime Strip staple the Roxy and brought a busier slate of buzzed-about acts. The Sunset Strip Music Festival has grown into a thriving local event and the neighborhood's flagship annual concert.

However, longtime venue Key Club shuttered last year, replaced by an outpost of the nightclub chain 1OAK, and other venues like the Whisky a Go Go and Viper Room have struggled to find a place in the contemporary L.A. music scene.

Ashton Spatz, a representative for Live Nation, told The Times in a statement that Live Nation is looking for a new venue for House of Blues.

"Regarding the story, our legendary House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard – the flagship for 20 years of our popular venues around the country – will operate business as usual while we look for a new home," the statement said. "We have a terrific relationship with our landlord who has other plans to develop the property and we’re working together on a very smooth transition. We have two-plus years to find that perfect spot for a new Los Angeles House of Blues home with no interruption for music fans. Stay tuned. The best is yet to come!"
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Yeah, and of course 6 years to the day of the aug 5th incident.