Page 1 of 40 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The WWE Thread

Hippie

Default The WWE Thread

Does anyone on this board watch wrestling? If so this will be the place to discuss. There's a good match on right now. It's Jericho vs. HHH vs. Matt Hardy.

Default Re: The WWE Thread

back in the mid to late 90's my friends and i would all get together on monday nights, back in the glory days of austin, the rock, etc. lots of weed and lots of drinking usually led to baking sheets being brought out. nothing like sitting enjoying the show and getting smacked in the head from behind you...one time a large cooler was used, there was a lot of blood, haha! haven't watched it at all since the new millenium began.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    back in the glory days of austin, the rock, etc.
    There's not really anyone after the etc. but those two were enough to make wrestling awesome. Like you said, the glory days. Now we have John Cena and Batista?!?! Those are supposed to be the top guys and they're just not doing it for anyone at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    There's not really anyone after the etc. but those two were enough to make wrestling awesome. Like you said, the glory days. Now we have John Cena and Batista?!?! Those are supposed to be the top guys and they're just not doing it for anyone at all.
    oh come on, what about mankind, he had some of the most amazing matches.

Hippie

Foley is God, what can I say? He was older though, past his prime in the late 90's glory days. Check out his older matches as Cactus Jack in ECW. Fucking insane!

I've watched WWE (WWF) since I was like 4 years old...so I've seen it all, and I have to say the "attitude era" with Stone Cold and Rock at the top was pretty lame in my opinion....thats when it just seemed to take a turn into a soap opera with matches becoming secondary, and I hate that. I like to watch a good solid match with a nice back story.....but the way the WWE operates now with PPV's every month, it just doesn't seem any good fueds get built anymore and pretty much everyone has wrestled everyone, so there's nothing really big or special to look forward to. I'll still watch Jericho, and Michaels, and Undertaker....those guys are legends.

But the "golden era" (87-92) and "new generation" (93-97) are my favorites. I still consider Bret Hart the best of them all.

Heck, I still got all my old Hasbro action figures stuffed away in my closet from when i was a little kid.

Hippie

I agree with most of what you say here. I also consider Bret Hart the best of them all. I see what you're saying about the attitude era taking a turn into soap opera territory, which is worse than pure matches. I think the reason I liked it so much was because all of my friends, who never gave a shit about wresting, were also into it at that time so I could discuss it with pretty much every single one of my friends so it just seemed really exciting. Not to mention the charisma of the Rock. It's funny because he thought he was too big for wresting so he went into the film industry to try to become the next Arnold/Stallone but he ending up becoming the next Norris/Segal. He was a bigger celeb in wrestling.

I also agree with those three you listed as the legends still performing today. I guess you're pretty excited about Sunday's match; Jericho vs. Michaels Ladder Match? It should easily be a classic, enough though Michaels isn't nearly as athletic as he used to be. I used to watch them at the bar but now I just stream them live online (illegally) and drink for much cheaper at home.
    Last edited by Backwater; 10-03-2008 at 09:42 PM.

I don't like the attitude era for one of the reasons you just listed....it brought in non-wrestling fans to watch it. I mean I can see why people would think that is cool, but for me, it's like all of a sudden there were a bunch of guys watching this who really didn't care for the matches or wrestling, and instead they were just rooting on the cursing, flipping the birds, beer drinking, rock making jokes kinda thing.....I don't know, it just turned me off. I've always been about the matches first and everything else second. It's just funny that now that Stone Cold and Rock are gone and DX is done, all these new fans are suddenly gone again....which I think just shows they really never cared for the wrestling or matches at all.

And yeah Jericho and Michaels will be a good match...but again, it's just a problem the WWE has these days...they've wrestled like 3-4 times already this year...so why do it again??? Back in the day, it was a giant feud with ONE big match to settle it all, then they would let that rivalary die off for a year or so.....I mean how many times within a couple months do you need to see Michaels face Jericho, or Taker face Edge??? Like I said, I just think with so many of the same matches and bouts taking place, some of the magic and anticipation is just taken away, at least for me.

And I don't order PPV's, I'll just get the results online and youtube sometime down the line....the only PPV I ever ordered was Survivor Series 92 (where Mr. Perfect returned to team with Macho Man to take on Ric Flair and Razor Ramon, Undertaker vs. Kamala in first ever coffin match, and Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels). That Hart vs Michaels match is still one of my favs of all time (though the ending was a little weird, they had Santa Claus come out at the end haha).

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post

And yeah Jericho and Michaels will be a good match...but again, it's just a problem the WWE has these days...they've wrestled like 3-4 times already this year...so why do it again??? Back in the day, it was a giant feud with ONE big match to settle it all, then they would let that rivalary die off for a year or so.....I mean how many times within a couple months do you need to see Michaels face Jericho, or Taker face Edge??? Like I said, I just think with so many of the same matches and bouts taking place, some of the magic and anticipation is just taken away, at least for me.

the only PPV I ever ordered was Survivor Series 92
    That Hart vs Michaels match is still one of my favs of all time (though the ending was a little weird, they had Santa Claus come out at the end haha).
    I completely agree with that whole paragraph about them wrestling each other too many times, and too many ppvs so that takes away a whole lot of the excitement. Vince is old and probably getting a little crazy so when he officially passes the torch to Shane, hopefully he'll realize this and have fewer ppv and big pay off matches.

At first I thought you were talking about the screw job, but that was 97.

What do you think of TNA? I think they have some amazing athlectic talent that even pushes new boundaries, but possibly the worst writing and booking of any pro wrestling organization ever.

I completely agree with that whole paragraph about them wrestling each other too many times, and too many ppvs so that takes away a whole lot of the excitement. Vince is old and probably getting a little crazy so when he officially passes the torch to Shane, hopefully he'll realize this and have fewer ppv and big pay off matches.

At first I thought you were talking about the screw job, but that was 97.

What do you think of TNA? I think they have some amazing athlectic talent that even pushes new boundaries, but possibly the worst writing and booking of any pro wrestling organization ever.
    Right, screw job was in 1997 at Survivor Series. Prior to that, Hart had wrestled Michaels before at Survivor Series 92 for the championship (this was just when both of their single careers were really taking off).

And as far as TNA goes....it's seriously one of the biggest piles of shit I've ever seen. The production value is so fucking cheesy it's not even funny. They don't know how to use the talent they got, they're living off wrestlers who have left the WWE, and the original characters they do have are just fuckin pathetic, it's embarrassing...Shark Boy?????? WTF is that???? I can't actually believe watch TNA. That production value is just god awful....even way worse than what WCW's was...which was pretty bad too IMO.

Hippie

Do you know about rvdtito4life on youtube? Hahaha! Those guys are fucking hilarious! If you don't know, they're hardcore TNA fans aka the biggest douches in the world. They're not as bad anymore, but look up their older vids if you want to laugh your ass off.

my friend has the funniest tape. there was a match that was televised from his hometown of san diego years ago. ric flair was sitting in a throne overseeing a match and you see my friend walk right behind him and he pumps his fist and yelled out "woooooooooo" loud enough to be heard on the broadcast. it was classic.

Hippie

You can see me in the crowd at Bad Blood 05 with the HHH vs. Shawn Michaels Hell in the Cell. I wish I was in Pittsburg for the Foley vs. Undertaker one.

wow rvdtito4life has gotten my vote for biggest fucking douchebag(s) on the entire internet.

Hippie

Yeah, hahaha, they really make me laugh.

Heck, I still got all my old Hasbro action figures stuffed away in my closet from when i was a little kid.
    I had those too. Some of them are worth some scratch, fyi...

Hippie

Only If you haven't opened them ... otherwise they're worth next to nothing, and what kind of kid refuses to play with their toys, in the sake of future value increase? None (who are normal). I have lots of old valuable wrestling figures and I don't care if they would be worth much more if they were unopened. If I never opened them, I would be a very strange kid. You should have fun when you're a young'un, for real.
    Last edited by Backwater; 10-04-2008 at 02:29 AM.

mine were open and I still sold some of them for hundreds...haha. I still have the real valuables too.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    mine were open and I still sold some of them for hundreds...haha.
    Really? I have Hawk and Animal, Hogan, Sting and Savage. Are you saying those would be worth a few hundred? Damn. I really hope my parents didn't throw them away. I'm going to ask them to look around in the old closet next time I speak to them in a couple days. Nice to know. Thanks apostle2

You guys are making me feel old.

Gimme Ricky Steamboat, Macho Man, Lenny Poffo, Legion of Doom, Four Horsemen, Sting back when he wasn't fat...that was good shit. WWF and NWA.

you gotta be fucking kidding me.

grow up and watch some fucking MMA.

or better yet, watch all of brock lesnars fights over and over, and get this awesome image of him in your head. then watch him get slaughter next month by Couture.

I think I got on PPV at Taboo Tuesday a couple years ago when it was in San Diego, otherwise I don't have any funny wrestling stories.

I did see Bash at the Beach...98, I think. Which ever one had Rodman and Malone wrestle. Stupid fucking shit.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    You guys are making me feel old.

Gimme Ricky Steamboat, Macho Man, Lenny Poffo, Legion of Doom, Four Horsemen, Sting back when he wasn't fat...that was good shit. WWF and NWA.
    Exactly, way back in the day Macho Man and Ricky Steamboat had some great matches. I always liked The Legion of Doom too, along with the Hart Foundation and Demolition.

Really? I have Hawk and Animal, Hogan, Sting and Savage. Are you saying those would be worth a few hundred? Damn. I really hope my parents didn't throw them away. I'm going to ask them to look around in the old closet next time I speak to them in a couple days. Nice to know. Thanks apostle2
    Uh just check Ebay for any of them and see what the average price is. I would think the most expensive opened ones would be Dusty Rhodes, Ludvig Borga, 123 Kids, and maybe Kamala, I'm not sure.

I don't have any of the rare ones...and all of my were opened too, because like you said, I had no knowledge that 20 years later, they would actually be worth something...I opened them all, played with them and had my own PPVs. If I would of known about how much these figures would of been collectibles, I would of just bought more when I was a kid...they use to have a bunch at my Kay-B-Toys, Longs Drugs, and Toys R Us and stuff.

A WWE thread?? hmm. I used to watch it all the time too. Back when Shawn Michaels had that awesome Ladder match with Razor at Wrestlemania X.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    you gotta be fucking kidding me.

grow up and watch some fucking MMA.

or better yet, watch all of brock lesnars fights over and over, and get this awesome image of him in your head. then watch him get slaughter next month by Couture.
    I was waiting for you to chime in with that Marooko. Sorry to say, but this whole MMA craze is a joke. It's not even fun to watch, and just having to hear Joe Reagen scream over the matches makes it just that much worse. I mean really, I just can't find the entertainment value of two guys crawling on the floor mat for 5 minutes each round. Plus that whole business has just turned to advertising now.....the guys and the mats are just littered with logos, and all the websites that say they carry the fights and results are just littered with trojans and fees for people to sign up.

I was waiting for you to chime in with that Marooko. Sorry to say, but this whole MMA craze is a joke. It's not even fun to watch, and just having to hear Joe Reagen scream over the matches makes it just that much worse. I mean really, I just can't find the entertainment value of two guys crawling on the floor mat for 5 minutes each round. Plus that whole business has just turned to advertising now.....the guys and the mats are just littered with logos, and all the websites that say they carry the fights and results are just littered with trojans and fees for people to sign up.
    LOL

I like MMA but this is true. Rogan annoys the shit out of me sometimes. Couture VS lesnar should be fun to watch.

what's this shit on cbs now? kimbo slice vs. ken shamrock tonight. elitexc?

I really hope Kimbo gets his ass kicked, just so all this fuckin hype around him will die.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

WWF and NWA 80's was great, WCW mid 90's awesome with the NWO gimmick. The Stone Cold and Rock era was probably the best ever. So much comedy week after week. It was awesome. The last 8 years have been garbage. Every now and again I watch with the kid but I try to get him into the old stuff like Brett Hart but the Rock/stone cold Mcmahon Helmsley era stuff was bar none the best wrestling/acting ever.