Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing in the unemployment line

Default Re: Standing in the unemployment line

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i've worked for a for-profit university for 6 years and i attend one of their subsidiaries. my dad worked for arizona state part-time as a janitor for 10 years and recently retired. he only took the job for tuition, and now that he's "vested", he gets life-long tuition benefits. not too shabby. not to mention it would open the door to other extra-curricular or research opportunities. and help with the whole networking thing.

the tuition benefit thing is great if you take advantage, though you have to realize your pay might be less than it would in other companies. also, since universities offer free tuition, you're generally competing against people with multiple degrees for jobs, so be sure to showcase what you can bring to the table besides a degree.

it's the way to go though if you really want to go to school, IMO. unless you get a bunch of grants or scholarships, who really wants to pay back a bunch of loans for school? especially if you're going into an arts related field.
    Ooh vested. Now that sounds like a good deal. I guess I could apply for community college teaching gigs because I have a graduate degree, but I'm not a fan of the teaching, so maybe I'll look into university art gallery type positions instead. That could be good.

Have you taken classes while working full-time, Ivy? That seems like it would be a pretty big time commitment and potentially super stressful. Although probably worth it if it was free.

thestripe

Where is Yuba City? Just curious-never heard of it...

I got authentic mexican food from the Yuba City mall.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

it is stressful and it takes me forever. i go to a school where i only take 1 class a week every 9 weeks. it should take like 8 years, but i've been going probably 5 and only about halfway through. it's difficult, but i'm personally not in a rush. i also take breaks when i know i'm going to be really busy. project management really doesn't require a degree, so i'm good there.

it is difficult, but universities generally encourage you to go to school and sometimes managers are accomodating. all of mein have been. if you get the right job like my dad, you can just do your homework at work! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    It's not immoral at all. If I understand unemployment correctly the company you used to work for contributes a certain amount of money to an unemployment insurance plan they have and then when someone needs to collect they draw from that insurance plan (i.e. make a claim). I don't think tax dollars pay much, if any, into most unemployment packages.
    Heyyy now that's the sort of rationalization I was looking for! Thank you kreutz.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Ooh vested. Now that sounds like a good deal. I guess I could apply for community college teaching gigs because I have a graduate degree, but I'm not a fan of the teaching, so maybe I'll look into university art gallery type positions instead. That could be good.

Have you taken classes while working full-time, Ivy? That seems like it would be a pretty big time commitment and potentially super stressful. Although probably worth it if it was free.
    So wait a minute--you went to grad school for art history and you don't like teaching? What the fuck did you ever think you were going to do with this degree?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    You mean it's HARD to find gainful employment as an expert in French lithographs?

What is the world coming to...
    It's easier than German lithographs?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    I got authentic mexican food from the Yuba City mall.
    is there such a thing as "authentic ethnic" food in a mall?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    You can in Yuba City.

P.S., the Yuba City mall is the cheesiest little mall I have ever been to in my entire life. Except maybe one in New Mexico.

I can't believe people in Hawaii have to work....

correct me if I am wrong but..From what I understood was that being a grad in Art history allows you to work in art auctioning houses since you would, in theory, have a better idea of how much a piece of art is worth. Correct or not?
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Blazed View Post
    I can't believe people in Hawaii have to work....
    some work 2 to 3 jobs just to keep up with the cost of living....

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by thefunkylama View Post
    You can in Yuba City.

P.S., the Yuba City mall is the cheesiest little mall I have ever been to in my entire life.
    Truth. I'm moving to Roseville next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    courtney sorry to hear 'bout your loss of income!!! I'm in construction and was let go from my previous company last year and was out of work for 6 months $1600/month is peanuts and makes it really hard to pay rent, gas, groceries with 2 little ones to care for.

I got a lot of interviews through employment agencies,on line employment networking sites and craigslist...I found that I had to maintain my search at least 3 days a week so that there was always something in the pipeline and coordinated interviews 3-5 times a week. It sucks when you haven't had an interview in several weeks...

Good Luck and enjoy the days at the beach while you can!!!
    Yeah, I read somewhere that the average amount of time to find a new job is 6 months, and it only increases from there if you are more skilled/experienced than average. Although I'm probably not any more skilled/experienced than average.

I feel very lucky that I do not have children to support, or other sorts of payments and loans to worry about. Although I'm still worried and stressed out about not having a job, it could definitely be much, much worse.

some work 2 to 3 jobs just to keep up with the cost of living....
    Fuck, I would just be a beach bum....On the west side.

Huh, this makes Hawaii look really good. Maybe I don't know how good we have it here.

If this is directed at me, I'm 26.
    Courtney, come on out to AZ!!!

i am not complaining, just laying it out there ... i went thru the first major gas crisis (in LA no less) and ups and downs in the economy my whole life .... when i was your age courtney, for two years I went to school full time, had a full time job, and a part time job i tried to do during lunch during my full time job .... i was able to do it for two years, but it really sucked ... I remember I figured it up one day and I had 6 hours every day to do just what i wanted ... of course that included eating, sleeping, going to and from work and school, helping to raise two kids and party .... not enough hours for sure in a day ... good luck gal but I am saying, if i could do it, I know most anyone can .... x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Yeah, The Phoenix New Times will have you believe that the art scene is getting really good here. (that's not in my realm of interest, so I have no idea if it's true)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I thought Tucson had a pretty good art scene?

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    it is stressful and it takes me forever. i go to a school where i only take 1 class a week every 9 weeks. it should take like 8 years, but i've been going probably 5 and only about halfway through. it's difficult, but i'm personally not in a rush. i also take breaks when i know i'm going to be really busy. project management really doesn't require a degree, so i'm good there.

it is difficult, but universities generally encourage you to go to school and sometimes managers are accomodating. all of mein have been. if you get the right job like my dad, you can just do your homework at work! lol
    Haha, yeah. One of my student jobs while I was an undergrad was working in the art library. Luckily, no one ever came into the art library so I could just sit at the circulation desk and do all my homework. That job ruled.

But wow. 10 years. I'm not sure if I have that sort of perseverance. I couldn't even make it through a 7 year program. More respect to you.

I thought Tucson had a pretty good art scene?
    Tucson and Sedona do from what I could tell. Phoenix, not so much.

Tucson has pockets, as does Phoenix. Problem for Courtney is not a lot of French influence down here. But, maybe she can change that...

Haha. When I lived in New Haven, Connecticut, the best Indian food in the area was definitely at a nearby strip mall. Although, to be fair, I'm not sure if that was restaurant was at all authentic. It just tasted good.

correct me if I am wrong but..From what I understood was that being a grad in Art history allows you to work in art auctioning houses since you would, in theory, have a better idea of how much a piece of art is worth. Correct or not?
    Yeah, a graduate degree in art history means you can work at an auction house, art museum, high-end gallery, conservation company, arts foundation, scholarly publishing house, scholarly periodical, library, research institute, or university. Maybe other things too I'm forgetting.

Yeah, a graduate degree in art history means you can work at an auction house, art museum, high-end gallery, conservation company, arts foundation, scholarly publishing house, scholarly periodical, library, research institute, or university. Maybe other things too I'm forgetting.
    It seems as if you have more options then you think...I think you will be fine...just move out of Hawaii....people don't go there for art...

Haha. When I lived in New Haven, Connecticut, the best Indian food in the area was definitely at a nearby strip mall. Although, to be fair, I'm not sure if that was restaurant was at all authentic. It just tasted good.

come and work for CU, Boulder is beautiful, well most of all the middle of Colorado is ... and this is sexist I know so boo me gals, Courtney, just use your good girl looks for +10 where ever you apply ... x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Ron has a point--Courtney, have you tried handing out a few blowjobs with your busniess card? Just sayin'. Desperate times...
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Haha. Well, from watching The Apprentice, I learned that at least Donald Trump believes that you should use physical attraction to get what you want.

The fact that I am young and female probably had a lot to do with the fact that I have an interview next week for a junior analyst position at a financial corporation. You know, diversity and affirmative action and all that. Although I am mostly planning to use the interview as practice because I'm not sure whether I am ready to completely give up on the dream of working in art. But maybe.

Suck him off, see if it's better than the dream.

Oh, no -- not the f word!

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    If it means I get to hang out with you and Melody, I'll move in a heartbeat!