hahaha

Default Re: The official 2008 Election Debate Thread

mccain just cant look at obama in the eye

Quote Originally Posted by arbouler View Post
    mccain just cant look at obama in the eye

you think maybe he fucked his wife?

i dont know. maybe he just fucked up the entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    I just felt like I was watching 2 lying politicians giving canned answers and saying what they thought we wanted to hear, totally unimpressed by either of them unfortunately
    Agreed. I was really hopeful at the beginning that this year's race would be different than past years, but it somehow always ends up being the same old shit.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by arbouler View Post
    i dont know. maybe he just fucked up the entire country.

yeah.. Obama fucking the entire country might call for his wife to get fucked by McCain... I mean even Bill Clinton would even agree.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Agreed. I was really hopeful at the beginning that this year's race would be different than past years, but it somehow always ends up being the same old shit.
    exactly.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I thought that obama was just waymore comfortable. mccain looked so stressed out I thought he was going to die.
    I was watchign in HD, and it actually gave an extra dimension to the experience, being able to really basically stare down the candidates yourself, look in their eyes, see the real nuances of their expressions as they spoke. I think mccain to be more conscious of avoiding catch phrases

Hippie

That would be a great commercial for HD.

I thought it was funny that Obama kept forgetting McCain's name. He called him "Tom" one time and "Jim" another time. Did no one else catch that?

McCain started out very calm and knowledgeable putting Obama on the defensive, although I remember Obama winning a couple debate points here and there...I just don't remember which ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I thought it was funny that Obama kept forgetting McCain's name. He called him "Tom" one time and "Jim" another time. Did no one else catch that?

McCain started out very calm and knowledgeable putting Obama on the defensive, although I remember Obama winning a couple debate points here and there...I just don't remember which ones.
    The different names are a given for the two. They love to roll play a bit when away from home staying in nice 5 star hotels!

i think he meant to say tom coburn. and jim is jim lehrer.

They did it on the Medicaid prescription drug bill and we have to change the culture. Tom -- or John mentioned me being wildly liberal. Mostly that's just me opposing George Bush's wrong headed policies since I've been in Congress but I think it is that it is also important to recognize I work with Tom Coburn, the most conservative, one of the most conservative Republicans
    it wouldve been funny if he purposely accidentally say "george, john, george, i'm sorry i really cant tell the difference between the two these days"

Thanks for explaining the Jim one. oops. I was listening on the radio and missed that Jim was the moderator.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I think it's time to stop talking about how Sarah Palin isn't qualified to be President and start talking about how John McCain isn't qualified to be President.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post

Me too, I don't know why but I thought we finally have 2 positive campaigns but they both fell into the traps of the same old fucking politics. Maybe rather than try to spread our broken idea of democracy across the fucking globe we should fix ours first.

Srsly, Lehr did his damndest to get the two to talk things out together but both candidates were like 2nd graders who didn't know how, they both would just get on their soap box and answer Lehr directly instead of converse with each other. This election is ugly and shows the dark underbelly of politics, an underbelly we all knew was there but haven't all seen before. McCains sponsoring commercials that show Obama wanting a comprehensive sex education for kindergartners and so many other flat out lies and distortions.

I don't know how but apparently there spin is so crazy many say Obama won last night. I honestly thought McCain won as he should have in a debate over foreign policy and national security, those are McCains only streangths. I didn't think Obama drilled McCain enough on the war and what his plan is now that the surge has worked. The both spent too much time dwelling on the pluses and minuses of being in Iraq rather than the future of this "war on terror".

I also like how when they get pissed off the fake smiles and laughs come into play and the more pissed the more fake it is. Obama knocking into the mic a few times was rough on the ears as well.

I know that how somebody does in a debate doesn't really say much towards their abilities as president. But, since it happened...

I watched it with my father. At one point he mentioned that during the 1972 campaign Nixon was asked what his plan was in regards to the Vietnam war. His response "I have a plan." That's it. He was running for president and he just wanted the American people to trust him on this one. McCain, at times, came off like this... his "I have great experience dealing with every major crisis since Beirut. I have met foreign leaders and know how to deal with them" bit. That was the bit he'd run to when he didn't know what else to say, when he didn't have an answer, when he wanted to avoid admitting his shortcomings.

Obama was visibly flustered more often; I think the bit late in the debate where he was directed to take a drink of water to calm himself down has already been mentioned.

That was the main reversal of my expectations, I expected McCain to be the hothead and instead he played the genial elder, letting Obama's distortions roll of him while Obama let McCain's distortions bother him, feeling the need to "correct the record."

I can't say who won; I agreed with more of what Obama said but that isn't remotely surprising. Neither of them really struck home, neither of them really came off as great.

[all "quotes" here are paraphrases. I have not yet seen transcripts]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

yea i thought mccain won too. he was aggressive and on attack all the time. obama shouldve landed some punches late in the debate because those are the most fresh for pundits to acknowledge.

i love how mccain said, lets not talk about how we got into the war but how we get out. obama shouldve quickly said that the other day mccain was so concerned about the economy that he wanted to fire the SEC head but somehow now he doesnt wanna talk about how or why we got in the war. he shouldve said "maybe you and george bush shouldve been fired years ago"

obama missed so many opportunities to get into mccain's head it made me angry.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

This election has now become Obama's to lose. McCain should have shined last night and he didn't do nearly as well as I expected him to do. This was his fucking field! He should have schooled Obama left and right on this but in my mind Obama went toe to toe with him. Both looked incredibly frustrated though...McCain with his pacing back and forth and Obama with those pissed off smirks. I wanted more blood though...they should give them 2 hours and just let them go at it...just like the French Presidential debates...

Disclaimer: I am not a Dem or a Rep. I am a non partisan. Moderate to the core.
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 09-27-2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    somewhere out there, there is a real candidate for president.
    your asking for too much Jared...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I know that how somebody does in a debate doesn't really say much towards their abilities as president. But, since it happened...

I watched it with my father. At one point he mentioned that during the 1972 campaign Nixon was asked what his plan was in regards to the Vietnam war. His response "I have a plan." That's it. He was running for president and he just wanted the American people to trust him on this one. McCain, at times, came off like this... his "I have great experience dealing with every major crisis since Beirut. I have met foreign leaders and know how to deal with them" bit. That was the bit he'd run to when he didn't know what else to say, when he didn't have an answer, when he wanted to avoid admitting his shortcomings.

Obama was visibly flustered more often; I think the bit late in the debate where he was directed to take a drink of water to calm himself down has already been mentioned.

That was the main reversal of my expectations, I expected McCain to be the hothead and instead he played the genial elder, letting Obama's distortions roll of him while Obama let McCain's distortions bother him, feeling the need to "correct the record."
    I can't say who won; I agreed with more of what Obama said but that isn't remotely surprising. Neither of them really struck home, neither of them really came off as great.

[all "quotes" here are paraphrases. I have not yet seen transcripts]

I agree. At one point Obama was trying to correct McCain on an attack and John just kept going. Obama got pissed and told Jim to just move on with the next question. The old fucker just laughed.

It's really ignorant to be basing the decision on who you are voting for on who did better in the debates. Debates are just giant over-publicized pissing contests. Doesn't it really come down to what issues you agree with and which ones you can't live with-and not who threw the best zingers?

Me-pro choice, pro stem cell research, not a gay basher, not a war monger, advocate for national healthcare system, against tax breaks for the rich=Obama. For me, it doesn't matter what anyone says in a debate, what matters is what issues you stand for.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    It's really ignorant to be basing the decision on who you are voting for on who did better in the debates. Debates are just giant over-publicized pissing contests. Doesn't it really come down to what issues you agree with and which ones you can't live with-and not who threw the best zingers?

Me-pro choice, pro stem cell research, not a gay basher, not a war monger, advocate for national healthcare system, against tax breaks for the rich=Obama. For me, it doesn't matter what anyone says in a debate, what matters is what issues you stand for.
    youre forgetting independents who so far arent sure who they like more. of course they vote on issues but they take certain issues more important than others to decide who they should vote for. some prolly just arent even sure if they want to vote or not.

and since now pundits say that obama is almost to the same footing as mccain, theyd be more comfortable if they vote obama. plus, he's the better economy pick.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post

Yes, but as Palin has showed us...some people vote on "Oh I like that person".
    That is why we have debates.

Debates are basically one last showcase for the undecideds. When you campaign for almost two years though, there aren't many undecideds left at this point but it's still a good chance to see how well they know the issues and what their plans are or what they have changed their minds on if anything. I'm a huge Obama supporter but I felt he lost last night.

The fact of the matter is we have a close election and I don't see anything changing in the next month to make this a big overwhelming win on either side. I'm expecting (hoping) Obama wins by the same margin Bush did this past election. It should come down to a state or two, a couple million votes.

I felt like McCain came across as a doddering old man for much of the debate. There were several occasions in which he fielded a question and started rambling about some completely unrelated nonsense for what felt like 10 minutes before finally addressing the topic for a few seconds. I don't hate old people but I do hate talking to them sometimes, especially when they veer off into their "back in my day" stories, and that was exactly the way I felt about McCain numerous times last night.
    I felt that while McCain may have been the more aggressive of the two, what with his constant refrain of "Senator Obama doesn't understand," Obama was better able to defend himself against the barbs than McCain was in addressing Obama's strikes, and so Obama, in my mind, came out ahead. It's not the amount of offense mounted but its effectiveness. Every time McCain stated that Obama didn't understand a topic, Obama responded level-headedly and demonstrated that he did, in fact, understand the topic. Whereas when Obama alluded to McCain's galling rendition of "Bomb Bomb Iran," as a for instance, McCain's reaction was to not even address the remark but talk jingoistically about taking care of the troops.
    I guess it would have been nice if Obama had been more aggressive in taking the fight to McCain and made more of a reference to the "Bomb Bomb Iran" song, etc., and that could be the most obvious adjustment he makes in the future debates. The spin I've seen that McCain won because Obama said that he was "absolutely right" on a number of occasions is retarded because every time Obama said that, it was in reference to the opposition to or support of something (i.e. defending against nuclear proliferation, a president needing to speak prudently), which he then immediately followed up with an explanation of where their positions differed and what his actual plan was for addressing that particular situation. And this nonsense that McCain did himself a service by not looking at Obama throughout the debate because that demonstrated how ready he is to be commander in chief -- no, it showed how fucking petulant he is. He carped so many times about how he didn't win Miss Congeniality in the Senate. Geez, that's really gonna come in handy when we're trying to deal with Russia or other potentially hostile nations. Treating your opponent with a modicum of respect shouldn't be perceived as a weakness, yet that's how it's being spun even though it's precisely that kind of attitude that allowed us to flounder whatever goodwill we had in the international community following 9/11.
    Whatever the case, if this was the debate that McCain was supposed to win, then this election's already over. Obama's weakness was supposed to be foreign policy, and he demonstrated that he can more than hold his own on the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Somewhatdamaged, I felt the same way about the debate last nite. Well, actually, I didn't feel as much as I would have had I not been for working on my foreign exchange policy with Mexico. (Tequila!) McCain "doddered" from his very first 2 minute question. Obama may have been too polite in his reactions towards McCain's attempts to undermine him, but then, keeping his cool during McCain's attacks impressed me more than having to listen to "the Maverick" brag about all his history and experience coupled with his lack of congeniality. I'd much rather have a leader that could remain composed enough to seek a solution when the shit hits the fan, than someone blowing smoke up their own ass as the fan spins. The thought of McCain and Palin in office makes me think of Mayberry RFD on Crack.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Agreed.

Neither were awe inspiring but I felt like Obama was much more honest and straightforward. McCain totally ignored the question or prompt on a number of occasions, very irritating. It seemed like Obama stooped down to McCain's level for much of the debate, getting drawn into petty bickering. Like their exchange on who had more pork barrel spending projects. Two wealthy, powerful senators both saying the other was worse by throwing huge numbers around, lame.

McCain's position on dealing with hostile foreign leaders is ridiculous. The idea that not talking to a country as a punishment is just dumb. "You would sit down at the table with someone who wants to wipe Isreal off the face of the earth? You would sit down at the table with someone like that?" He's too stubborn and close minded. Shunning people certainly isn't going to make the situation better, there has to be dialogue. Fucking irrational old man.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

From what I saw of it Obama wasn't hitting him as hard as I wanted. McCain looked better than I expected, certainly a lot better than he has in any interview. This is not to say he actually sounded good--it was all bullshit--but his delivery was better than I thought it would be. Thank god there's still another debate because Obama sure didn't clinch it with this performance.

HEY DEMOCRATS--STOP BEING PUSSIES AND FUCKING HIT THESE COCKSUCKERS, PLEASE.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.