Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: so....Texas?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default so....Texas...um maybe San Diego instead?

So my wife decided to go back to school for nursing and try and work part time while she is doing it. It hasn't work out so well for a few reasons. 1. We have lost alot of income with her going part time and are struggling. 2. nursing school is wicked hard and will only get harder as you go along. meaning unless I start making bank we are effed (so she has to go back to being a nanny).
    so we looked at a few options and Texas came up...for some reason housing is freaking cheap there...my house would be 85k less in Texas for some reason. That and the company I work for how LOTS of job opportunities down there.
    SOOOO...we have started talking about moving to Texas while she goes to school. We would be able to live very comfy....Thoughts on Texas? It would be in Houston. I would prefer Austin but no jobs for me there yet....that and the Texas economy is quite healthy...

so in the end.
    Is Houston crappy?
    How is their public transport?
    Why is housing so cheap?
    Good music venues?
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 12-26-2008 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Default Re: so....Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    So my wife decided to go back to school for nursing and try and work part time while she is doing it. It hasn't work out so well for a few reasons. 1. We have lost alot of income with her going part time and are struggling. 2. nursing school is wicked hard and will only get harder as you go along. meaning unless I start making bank we are effed (so she has to go back to being a nanny).
    so we looked at a few options and Texas came up...for some reason housing is freaking cheap there...my house would be 85k less in Texas for some reason. That and the company I work for how LOTS of job opportunities down there.
    SOOOO...we have started talking about moving to Texas while she goes to school. We would be able to live very comfy....Thoughts on Texas? It would be in Houston. I would prefer Austin but no jobs for me there yet....that and the Texas economy is quite healthy...

so in the end.
    Is Houston crappy?
    Why is housing so cheap?
    Good music venues?

Dude I'm looking into moving to Austin right now, but haven't found a job yet. The cost of living in Austin is pretty good....well compare to I live. It's almost the same. I hear Houston is crappy, yes. I'm sure you'll get real answers, but I'm looking into this as well.

i have visited texas many times...i could never see myself living there. houston, if i recall, is hot and humid as hell in the summer, not sure what winter's are like.

oh yeah: hurricanes
    Last edited by JustSteve; 09-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Dude I'm looking into moving to Austin right now, but haven't found a job yet. The cost of living in Austin is pretty good....well compare to I live. It's almost the same. I hear Houston is crappy, yes. I'm sure you'll get real answers, but I'm looking into this as well.

Texas is freakishly cheap. Outside of the late of state taxes everything seems to be cheaper:housing, food, etc.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i have visited texas many times...i could never see myself living there. houston, if i recall, is hot and humid as hell in the summer, not sure what winter's are like.
    Hot is not a problem since I was born and raised in Las Vegas. Humidity could be a problem. But I would imagine winter's would be mild no?

Steers and Queers Marco, steers and queers...

Hot is not a problem since I was born and raised in Las Vegas. Humidity could be a problem. But I would imagine winter's would be mild no?
    they have what locals call 90/90 days during summer. 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Steers and Queers Marco, steers and queers...
    Que?

That's all you'll find in Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    That's all you'll find in Texas...
    Well....TX DOES have ACL...and Radiohead did 2 shows there this year...can't be that bad can it?

Those are valid points. I've had a couple friends move to San Antonio who both said they like it better than PHX. I've driven thru the panhandle and it sucked ass!

I hear the tumble weeds are fantastic in the pan handle....I have never been to Texas, so I have no idea..

so in the end.
    Is Houston crappy?
    Why is housing so cheap?
    Good music venues?
    Let me make this simple...Hurricane Ike...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

And California has Earthquakes but that doesn't stop anyone from living there....

And the traffic in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex is fucking awful.

isn't there a light rail in Dallas? The DART?

i lived in houston from 1979-1996. age 17 to 34. I go back there from time to time. so my knowledge is old, take it for what it's worth.

when i lived in houston my take was "it's a nice place to live, but i wouldn't want to visit there." no cable cars, no empire state building.

Is Houston crappy?
    it has its good places and bad places

depends on what you are looking for. in the 80s and 90s houston made a decision to emphasize bus transport and HOV lanes. Park N Ride from the suburbs to downtown. if you live in the burbs and work downtown, it works. I know people, successful professionals, who do it today. but if you're looking to get from A to B like in manhattan, forget it.

Why is housing so cheap?
    overbuilding, sprawling suburbia, and supply and demand.

Good music venues?
    I used to go to a show a week in houston. it's a big city so they get the national tours. also, austin bands expand their market base by playing houston and dallas.

also: houston is far more multicultural than dallas and probably even more than austin. houston seems more comfortable (or at least did when i was there) with its hispanic heritage than most other places other than san antonio and around the border. there's a large and, now, accepted african american community. lots of taiwanese and also especially vietnamese, they came over in the 70s and settled in houston cuz the climate is similarly miserable. and if you seek it out there's a lot of good cajun food and music to be had -- and not the sterilized suburban stuff either. at least not all of it if you know where to look. and despite the hick reputation, houston has (or at least used to have) one of the largest gay populations in the nations. steers and queers indeed.

the cheap real estate you are finding is almost certainly in the far suburbs, which tend to be white, redneck, and mega-churched, though not 100% so. closer in, like in the Heights, you'll get much more diversity.

in the city there's a decent arts community (3 decent art museums, a thriving symphony and ballet, and respected theater). it's not new york, or even san francisco, but it's not tulsa either.

food in houston is great. better than dallas and austin. just more different stuff available that's good. again, not ny or sf, but not too far below that.

the newspaper is not bad.

i left in 96 for a career opportunity, and the stuff i've listed above is the stuff i miss. I don't miss the weather -- arizona is much more pleasant in that regard, even in summer. there's a sizable and influential fundamentalist crowd in houston (the megachurch may have been invented there). there are a lot of conservatives spouting ridiculous shit. texas still leads the nation in executions, it's not even close. and there are aggies, the worst scurge ever laid upon humankind.

all in all it is what you make of it. there's stuff there to do, though, if you're interested.

God bless papa Tom.

Funny enough...I though the same thing in terms of the far flung sub burbs but it ISN'T the case...I alot of brand new cheap housing in the Houston city limits...the cultural scene sounds on bar with what I have found in Denver though...would suck to love such a killer venue though (Red Rocks)...can anyone vouch for the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion?

MArco, we went to see Radiohead there. It is really nice, but you better always get seats. Pit was tiny as hell and seating section is very small also, we had 4th row tickets and it actually was the second row. The Woodlands was the only part of Texas that I saw that felt like it wasnt Texas. It was nice and clean and almost felt like Orange Country for 5 minutes. Austin seems ot be the spot. Houston did just get its clock cleaned by a hurricane if you dont recall a week ago. Me and Sasha stayed at my friends house which was in The Heights, it was an ok neighborhood. It was freaking hot and sticky there the whole time. Dallas is a hole thats for sure. There are a few venues in Houston and most bands do hit the area on tour. They just did get a house of blues actually. Radiohead plays there once every blue moon, they hadnt played in Dallas in over 10 years, Houston 5 years. so you will be travelign a bit. dont forget New Orleans isnt far, so going there for things woudl be cool if you made a weekend out of it. voodoo and new orleans jazz festival would be ideal. Yeah and you got ACL and South By Southwest too every year. you better visit the place before you really decide to move man.

dont' be deceived by 'houston city limits'.. the city of houston sprawls and parts of the far suburbs are technically in the city limits.

the woodlands (CWM Pavillion) is ok. typical outdoor setup with covered seats and then a lawn. it certainly doesn't have red rocks' dramatic setting.

texas so sucks - oh yeah, I used to own a restaurant in texas......and my ex is from texas
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

You may want to read TWIT Magazine: http://www.thisweekintexas.com/
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Hippie

And California has Earthquakes but that doesn't stop anyone from living there....
    I really hope you're kidding. Yeah, these treacherous earthquakes threaten our lives all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    MArco, we went to see Radiohead there. It is really nice, but you better always get seats. Pit was tiny as hell and seating section is very small also, we had 4th row tickets and it actually was the second row. The Woodlands was the only part of Texas that I saw that felt like it wasnt Texas. It was nice and clean and almost felt like Orange Country for 5 minutes. Austin seems ot be the spot. Houston did just get its clock cleaned by a hurricane if you dont recall a week ago. Me and Sasha stayed at my friends house which was in The Heights, it was an ok neighborhood. It was freaking hot and sticky there the whole time. Dallas is a hole thats for sure. There are a few venues in Houston and most bands do hit the area on tour. They just did get a house of blues actually. Radiohead plays there once every blue moon, they hadnt played in Dallas in over 10 years, Houston 5 years. so you will be travelign a bit. dont forget New Orleans isnt far, so going there for things woudl be cool if you made a weekend out of it. voodoo and new orleans jazz festival would be ideal. Yeah and you got ACL and South By Southwest too every year. you better visit the place before you really decide to move man.

oh for sure. The wife was against it at first for the stigma of the "Texas Religious Conservative" type folks. But if this DOES happen we are going to fly down to look into it...the humid climate might be the clincher for her...BUT it might come down to simply economics...and if the economy doesn't collaspe of course...I really DON'T want to move but if it works out then it might have to happen. How was that Woodlands venue though?

and yes yes yes yes I remember the hurricane but it didn't destroy the entire city people...

dont' be deceived by 'houston city limits'.. the city of houston sprawls and parts of the far suburbs are technically in the city limits.

the woodlands (CWM Pavillion) is ok. typical outdoor setup with covered seats and then a lawn. it certainly doesn't have red rocks' dramatic setting.
    As long as I have access to a park n ride I'll be fine...the lack of RR sucks though...

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    texas so sucks - oh yeah, I used to own a restaurant in texas......and my ex is from texas
    ouch...that is pretty gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I really hope you're kidding. Yeah, these treacherous earthquakes threaten our lives all of the time.
    Que?

Hippie

Hurricanes in the south are so much more common, dangerous and destructive than earthquakes in ca. Absolutely no comparison.

The KKK headquarters is in Texas - near Houston.

Ku Klux Klan DOES NOT Endorse Barack Obama for President
    Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 09-25-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Texas averaged 4 strikes a decade when it comes to hurricanes...not too bad...