Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter!

Default Re: Dexter!

Oh god, when the captain got in the car with her I was like noooooo, please, don't make out. Stupid Matsuka totally put that in my head. This was much more believable. I hope they don't write her off. I like her a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

My understanding was the divorce was so that Batista could advance in his career without the friction of a managerial relationship between them - I doubt they will write Maria off. I didn't like her at first but now I wouldn't want to see her go.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Also I know I'm not suspending disbelief enough for Dexter, but one thing that bothered me with the kill in this episode - he stole the chick's phone and texted him from it. If cops ever investigated it, they'd find the text messages and figure out the last person with her before she lost her phone was Dexter. What does he do with all the victim's personal items? Throw them away in the ocean I guess. But still wouldn't they notice the victim was missing and have a record of the text on chick's phone? Whatever.

I also wondered about the cell phone texting. I found it a little harder to suspend disbelief on the paramedics' killing, though. It seems like the disappearance of two paramedics would be a really big deal and would be thoroughly investigated. So we have to assume he used an untraceable cell phone to make the 911 call, that his voice would never be recognized by anyone should the 911 call be made public, that he didn't leave a shred of incriminating evidence in the ambulance, that not a soul saw him going to or from the crime scene, etc etc.

My guess is the cell phone and anything else that would be incriminating gets dumped in the ocean and floats down the jet stream. And I'd be willing to bet the Paramedic situation resurfaces in the first few episodes.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    2 days until the premiere! I know it leaked but I've always enjoyed waiting for it to come out week to week on Showtime, so I'm sticking with my formula.

Fax, the religious theme is supposed to be the overall theme for this season so I'm looking forward to seeing how Dexter looks at religion. I'm not sure if it was covered in the first episode or not since I haven't watched it, but I read somewhere that this season Dexter is going to have to try to figure out how he wants to raise Harrison in terms of religion. It's an interesting question: if you yourself are not religious (and, to take it a step further, play God in a lot of ways), how would you choose to raise your child?
    I'm actually sort of doing this. My son isn't biologically mine but when i was with his mom before we broke up we were both agnostic. At some point she decided to convert to judaism and wanted to raise Connor in the Jewish faith. I didn't really agree with it. He doesn't really practice judaism and his mom seems to come and go out of interest with it. When I talk to him about religion I tell him my beliefs and that everyone has the freedom to believe what they want about god. I tell him there are many different religions and some work for people but ultimately only he will know what if anything he feels for a God or religion. His mother knows i'm open with him about my agnosticism and seems to be fine with it.

I almost feel that Dexter wants to raise Harrison with religion because most people do and it comes acrss as normal. It almost benefits him so that he doesn't have to deal with questions of faith and how he's raising his sons and what moral codes he should follow. With religion Dexter can say where his son goes to school and what religion they are and it gives a bit of an identity.

Seems like they have gotten a bit bored of Dexter's character arc and are going in a silly/goofy/campy direction this year with some gothy jesus stuff thrown in as a side dish. Oh well. Bring on Bored to Death!!!!!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

^
    fail

In all fairness though, even the biggest fans of this show have to admit that it's gotten pretty formulaic. Does anyone here doubt that by episode 13, Dexter will have dispatched with the new season's villains/story arc, and that his family and co-workers will still not have discovered that he's a serial killer?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Yeah, Dexter has always been formulaic, I think. It's almost like a backwards C.S.I., but with less attention on the case-of-the-day, and more attention on the season's overall story. I think the show is mainly running on our love for the characters, and not so much the plot. Which, of course, might not hold us for very long... but I do like the things they've added: Lumen and John Lithgow being awesome. I have faith (no pun intended) that Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks will be the strong point of this season, like John Lithgow was for his, or Julia Stiles for the last one... but you know, it would be really great if they threw a curve ball in the next couple episodes and have Deb catch him in the act of murder, or for Batista to find his blood slides, or something like that to really trip everything up.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Here's hoping. I thought season 1 was excellent, seasons 2 and 4 (thanks to Lithgow) were great, and seasons 3 and 5 were entirely forgettable.

It reminds me of Six Feet Under in that every episode pretty much no matter what, someone got killed and they had to embalm them and have a funeral, but we still went along with their daily lives. I was ok with that formula and I'm ok with the Dexter formula. Different ways to die in the case of SFU and different reasons for murdering in Dexter's case.

This was a great season opener. I'm very excited for this new killer mentored by Edward James Olmos

Seems to be a much better season cameo than Julia Stiles (DERP)

The show is definitely formulaic. But I'm willing to overlook that because of the outstanding acting. I guess you just can't take Dexter too seriously.

For all the fuss we make about him, I'm always more drawn to the guest stars, particularly the villains. I must say I was doubtful about Olmos and Hanks at first, but after their first scene catching the snake, I was intrigued. I'm eager to see what twisted apocalyptic treats they're going to give us.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

That's an interesting way to think about it, the individual stories of the week being more important than the ultimate direction of the show as a whole. I guess the major difference is that SFU had only one real "endgame" (Nate's AVM) hanging over it, and even it wasn't the major focus of the story, whereas all of the overarching dramatic tension in Dexter comes from the inevitable endgame of Deb chasing down Dexter. The longer the story goes, the more absurd things are going to get before that endgame will finally get to play itself out.

The Ice Truck Killer stuff was my favorite.. all that stuff with Dexter's brother, it was all pretty fantastic. I did enjoy last season but seasons one and two were definitely nail biters. I predict a big character death this season (Deb/Batista-esque.)

Michael C. Hall came into my store today! He comes in once every few weeks, but it seemed like some kind of Urban legend until BOOM there he is. I never have been starstruck before as we have a lot of celebrity clientele. I was so flustered checking him out at the register that he kept smirking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

I love Dexter. I love it. But this scene...? C'mon. Too much.

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/video...=1190674343001

You know what I hate about Dexter. When you watch the sneak peak at the end of the episode, it shows you really exciting stuff that would be cool to go down in the upcoming episode, except that it's actually cool stuff that will be scattered throughout the entire season.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

thats why i dont watch up next

This season sucks so far and I hate how campy it is. I swear I am watching a sitcom. Also Colin Hanks has no talent and would be no where without pops!

Am I the only one that has liked this season so far?
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by Kyliediscope View Post
    I like it. Especially the class reunion scene.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyliediscope View Post
    I like it. I think there is some potential. All the religious stuff will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think that Hanks/Olmos will end up being super creepy.

I like it too. I think it's always been pretty campy. I mean, it's on Showtime.

I am enjoying this season so far but I can see it going either way for me. I've really enjoyed 2 of the seasons in the series and the other 3 have been entertaining but had a lot of elements that I didn't care for (usually dealing with the additional main characters for that season - Lila, Miguel, and Lumen).
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I thought Mos Def did a damn good job

I've liked everything about this season. I must have low standards for TV shows. I also think Colin Hanks is a good actor.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I am enjoying this season so far but I can see it going either way for me. I've really enjoyed 2 of the seasons in the series and the other 3 have been entertaining but had a lot of elements that I didn't care for (usually dealing with the additional main characters for that season - Lila, Miguel, and Lumen).
    I agree with this.

I think I like it a lot so far because religion creeps me out.
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I knew I liked you for a reason. Season 2 I thought was actually one of my favorites but Lila was a little much for me at times. Miguel's season was by far the worse in the series, and I wasn't a huge fan of Lumen like a lot of other people were.

I haven't even watched the second episode of this season yet, I'm behind on it because of baseball playoffs/football/my boyfriend's school schedule, but I'm hoping to get to watch it tomorrow and then follow up with ep 3 on Sunday. The religion aspect is inherently interesting to me, and I like Colin Hanks/EJO so I have medium hopes for the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.