I'm looking for a bar with a good selection of quality beers.
I'm looking for a bar with a good selection of quality beers.
To add to TallGuy's post, as I'll be joining him, preferably near an area with a diverse selection of prostitutes.
I'm pretty sure it was the Bridgeport Brewery.
Here are a few ideas:
Cascade Barrel House
Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"
Jesus, Westcoastpirate. No. Put those away. My god.
Gribbz, we went to Mirgration Brewery.
GREAT BARS WITH HUGE SELECTION:
- Horse Brass
- Belmont Station
- Bite me.
Edit: Alright, fine. Not all of westcoastpirate's suggestions were terrible. I take issue with anyone suggesting Rontoms. It's a cool kids bar, but it's not great. You shouldn't go out of your way for it. Hopworks is also not that impressive a place to hang out, and I used to live right next to it. Amnesia is fine, I assume. I've never been, but I hear rave reviews. Cascade Barrel House is not a place you go when you want good service, but their beers are pretty great.
Last edited by thefunkylama; 08-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
The karaoke bar/asian restaurant east of downtown is fucking awesome. I forget the name. Pretty sure it was the ambassador.
Rogue: NW 14th and Glisan. Nice spot. They're selling the Voodoo Doughnuts Maple Bacon Ale in a pink 22oz bottle.
This place. Karaoke.
My bad they were looking for beers. I was posting good times.
what other major businesses besides nike are in the portland area? now that my parents are likely moving and all my friends are slowly moving, i'm starting to think relocation. i have an "in" to nike, but am curious where else i could potentially thrive as a project manager. i prefer process improvement and software projects, but am open to trying something new. anyone in IT in portland should PM me with any opportunities as i have both waterfall and agile product management experience.
All I know on that front is that Yahoo has been downsizing and is rumoured to be leaving the area (though they're out in Hillsboro anyway). I will keep my ears open.
I have a list of Portland companies to start spamming for when I relocate (I've done quite a bit of research.) Sounds like we're all moving up there soon. BEWARE THE ARIZONA MIGRATION.
ABR Inc. Environmental Research and Services
Albany Democrat Herald newspaper offices.JPG
Ashforth Pacific Inc.
Ater Wynne LLP
Bend Area Habitat for Humanity
Bend Garbage & Recycling
Bonneville Environmental Foundation
Capital Pacific Bank
Capitol Auto Group Inc.
Cardinal Services Inc.
Carr Auto Group
Cascade Employers Association
CB Richard Ellis
Child Care Development Services
Childpeace Montessori School
City of Portland
Community Cycling Center
David Evans and Associates Inc.
Doubletree Hotel, Portland
Earth Advantage Institute
EasyStreet Online Services Inc.
Electro Scientific Industries headquarters campus - Oregon.JPG
Emerge Medical Spa
Family Relief Nursery
First Tech Credit Union Beaverton.JPG
FLIR entrance sign.JPG
Fluid Market Strategies Inc.
Friends of Oregon
G5 63 SERA Architects
Green Acres Landscape Inc.
Hopworks Urban Brewery
InFocus headquarters - Tigard, Oregon.JPG
Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest
Joe's Headquarters close.JPG
King Estate Winery
Landscape East & West
Lease Crutcher Lewis
Mentor Graphics entrance.JPG
Neil Kelly Company
New Seasons Market
Nike Fortune 500
Northwest Newborn Specialists PC
Northwest Pilot Project
Olsson Industrial Electric Inc.
One Pacific Square - Portland, Oregon.JPG
On-the-Move Community Integration
Oregon Community Credit Union
Oregon Electric Group
Oregon Environmental Council
Oregon Mutual Insurance Company - McMinnville, Oregon.JPG
Oregon Research Institute
Oregon Tourism Commission
PAE Consulting Engineers Inc.
Perkins Coie LLP
Port of Portland
Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Portland Trail Blaze...
PREM Group Inc.
Precision Castparts Fortune 500
Providence Federal Credit Union
REACH Community Development
Realty Trust Group
Research Into Action Inc.
Ronald McDonald House Charities/OR & SW WA
The Environmental Center
Rose City Mortgage
Sierra Nevada brewing
Sokol Blosser Winery
SOLARC Architecture and Engineering Inc.
Standing Stone Brewing Co.
Stash Tea Company he...
State of Oregon
STatesman Journal HQ.JPG
Steele Associates Architects LLC
Sunstone Montessori School
Sussman Shank LLP
Tec Laboratories Inc.
Terwilliger Plaza Inc.
The Nature Conservancy
The Oregon Zoo Foundation
The Original Pancake House
Vernier Software & Technology
Western Rivers Conservancy
Willamette Valley Vineyards
Local Web Sites for Finding a Job in the Portland Metro Area
• Creative Staffing: Mathys+Potestio Mathys+Potestio provides creative agencies, design firms and corporate marketeers with creative talent on a contract, contract-to-hire, or direct hire basis. For key hires, they offer retained search services. The company also promotes employee empowerment and growth by helping clients manage their talent resources.
• Jobs Dango Their slogan is "Northwest jobs for Northwest people."
• Oregon Business Magazine They list the "100 Best Companies in Oregon to Work For."
• OregonLive OregonLive is affiliated with The Oregonian (Oregon's largest newspaper). You can connect with the Help Wanted ads from The Oregonian. OregonLive also has a career section where you register, post your resume, etc.
• Oregon Tradeswomen Dedicated to promoting success for women in the trades through education, leadership and mentorship.
• Portland Business Alliance A non-profit "Chamber of Commerce" type organization. They sell a number of publications to help job seekers such as the Largest Employers of the Portland/Vancouver Metropolitan Area. Click on "Publications" at their Web site to order.
• Portland Business Journal They have jobs posted by 27 different categories.
• Portland Recruiter Company maintains 15 plus "recruiter" sites (e.g., Seattle Recruiter, etc.) in major US cities.
• Portland Twitter Jobs Lists a few jobs plus news about the Portland job market.
• PDX Jobs Commercial search firm that lists only a handful of jobs. For example, only three high tech jobs were listed. Registration required but they do offer a visit.
• Portland Preferred Jobs If I were looking for a job, this is where I would start. Easy to use and lots of search options. Lots of jobs listed but the dates they were posted seem to be months past. Also list job fairs. You can post your resume and no registration is required.
Portland Metro Area Largest Employers
• Intel Corporation - 16,500
• Providence Health Systems - 13,500
• Safeway - 13,000
• Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) - 11,300
• Fred Meyer Stores - 10,500
• Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest - 8,747
• Legacy Health Systems - 8,500
• State of Oregon - 6,700
• Nike - 5,500
• City of Portland - 5,498
• Portland Public School, - 5,047
• Wells Fargo - 5,000
• U.S. Bank - 4,138
• Portland State University - 4,000
• United Parcel Service (UPS) - 3,900
• Beaverton School District, 3,886
• Portland Community College - 3,400
• Vancouver School District - 3,228
• Southwest Washington Medical Center - 3,200
• McDonald's Corporation - 3,000
• Portland General Electric (PGE) - 2,652
• Farmers Insurance Company of Oregon - 2,500
• Standard Insurance Company - 2,500
• Volt Services Group - 2,500
• TriMet - 2,495
• Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon - 2,495
• Albertsons Food Centers - 2,351
• Freightliner - 1,500
Not-For-Profit Web Sites for Finding a Job in Portland
• One Stop Workforce Development System The Region 2 One Stop Workforce Development System in Multnomah, Washington and Tillamook Counties and the City of Portland in Oregon is a cooperative effort between many state and local agencies, businesses and organizations. The One Stop Career Centers bring employment, training and other services to Oregonians in a convenient and accessible manner. A very useful site for finding a job plus other job related information!
• Oregon Bioscience Association OBA's mission is to promote the growth and quality of the bioscience industry in the State of Oregon and ensure it achieves its full economic and social potential. OBA is a non-profit association with membership open to any company, organization or individual with an interest in biotechnology, medical devices, or the life sciences. They list a good number of job openings in the bioscience field on the site.
• Portland OR Job Compendium The opening page states, "Welcome to my jobs page. This is not meant to be beautiful -- just usable". That is an understatement as the site is very usable and helpful - numerous links to job hunting sites and employers.
• Oregon Employment Department Lists job opening throughout the state of Oregon.
Women and Diversity Sites for Finding a Job
• Career Women Career portal by and for women. Post your resume, search CW job bank, career women resources and more.
• Diversity Search Diversity career portal for minorities, females and other diversity job seekers and diversity recruiters.
Green Job Resources
Employers in the Portland area that are devoted to green technology: SolarWorld (solar panels), Portland Energy Conservation Inc. (electricity generation), and Vestas (wind power).
Online Job Boards
• Clean Edge: jobs.cleanedge.com
• Sustainable Industries: sustainableindustries.com/jobs
• SustainLane: sustainlane.com/green-jobs
• Green Jobs Information: blog.oregonlive.com/pdxgreen/green_jobs/
Employers in The Portland Area
• AT&T The world’s largest communications company.
• Fred Meyer Known as Freddie to the locals - this is where many Oregonians get their food. Subsidiary of Kroger.
• Freightliner Makers of heavy duty trucks. The corporate office and largest assembly plant is located in Portland with about 4,000 employees. Subsidiary of ChryslerDaimler.
• Hewlett Packard One of high tech employer in Oregon. Most of the jobs are in Corvallis which is 75 miles southwest of Portland and Vancouver. HP is reducing the number of Oregon employees as jobs are being outsourced as well as shifted to overseas.
• Intel Oregon's largest private employer with about 15,000 employees in the Portland area. Chip fab plus R&D center.
• Legacy Health Systems Legacy employees 8,500 people in Oregon working in their hospitals and clinics.
• Macy's The Meier and Frank department stores have a long history in Oregon. The Meier and Frank name disappeared in 2007 as the popular Pacific Northwest chain was purchased by Macy's.
• Nike The whoosh! One of two Fortune 500 companirs in Oregon − they employ about 3,500 at their corporate headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon.
• Oregon Health Science University Depending upon how you count, it is one of Portland top employers (over 11,000 employees). You will want to consider OHSU for a job as its reputation is increasing daily as a top health research and health care facility.
• Providence Health System A not-for-profit health care company (hospitals and clinics) with facilities in Alaska, California, Oregon, and Washington. Providence is the 2nd largest employer in Oregon with 13,700 jobs.
• Tektronix Corporate headquarters is located in Beaverton (first suburb west of Portland) and the first high tech company in Oregon. Tektronix is focused on five key product areas: 1) Oscilloscopes, 2) communications (lead-generation RF and broadcast test solutions), 3) networked video, 4) television (Tektronix is the world's leading supplier of television test solutions), 5) and Digital, Optical and Accessories. The printer division was sold off in 1999.
• Wal-Mart Stores The "Always Low Prices" company has 11,000 employees in Oregon.
• Top 50 Companies in Oregon The region's Top 50 public companies by total market value as of the first quarter, 2007. Source: Bloomberg News and The Oregonian.
Government/Public Employers in Portland and Oregon
• City of Portland They always have a large number of vacancies. Online applications can be submitted.
• Metro Jobs The regional governing body for the area. They offer jobs at the following: Regional parks and greenspaces and Oregon Zoo - also oversees operation of the Oregon Convention Center, the Portland Center for the Performing Arts and the Expo Center.
• State of Oregon State of Oregon job listing - most are in Salem (50 miles south of Portland) the State Capitol.
• State of Oregon Information System Jobs Most are located in Salem.
Oregon Labor Market Information
• Oregon Labor Market Information System Learn about the State of Oregon labor market and living costs.
• Oregon 100 Best 100 Best Companies to Work For in Oregon.
i think i knew someone at intel i could reach out to. with the new fiscal year starting and *hopefully* the thought of having my major medical issues behind me within the next few months, this may be something i can start planning for.
still not sure if portland is the perfect fit, but i already know one of my best friends is there, i have a very nice cousin there, i know a few boardies, i'd love to walk around more, and i just enjoyed how beautiful it was. we'll see if this thought pans out. the job is priority one. i don't have money to put anything else above that lol.
Portland State University, Oregon Health & Science University, don't know any others.
Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"
Linfield is regional, Lewis and Clark is in town. UofP is a private catholic university but is actually supposed to be pretty great regardless of personal affiliation. I've also heard that the business school is PSU's strongest and most respected program, though as a sort of underwhelmed PSU liberal arts student I'm not sure how much my recommendation or lack thereof means. It's nice that campus is right downtown, though, and it might suit you more than it does me.
Last edited by Hannahrain; 03-26-2013 at 12:44 PM.
I'm interviewing for a job on the other side of the Columbia, and will likely take it if offered...
Question: how is the EDM scene there?
In Vancouver? About as nonexistent as every other scene. I don't know much about it in Portland proper but I'd be surprised if it were anemic given how many shows happen here daily across genres.
I'd imagine poking around here would give you a better idea than asking someone who still thinks EDM is some kind of mandibular disorder.