Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Portland, Oregon

Default Re: Portland, Oregon

Damn, Jen - that's a big move to go from the desert to the NW. I never realized how much the sun affected me until I lived in northern Japan for 2 years and I became very depressed. Then I lived in Tucson, then back here to San Diego and I don't think I would be able to live somewhere so gloomy. Every time I go to Seattle for more than a few days I begin to feel very tired and unmotivated except for last week. Last week Seattle had better weather than San Diego and it was absolutely gorgeous! It is quite a lovely city, especially when the blue sky is visible and sunlight lights up your surroundings - all the hills, water, and trees look beautiful.

I've only been to Portland once and it was just for a show (drove straight back to Seattle after). I really would love to go again and explore more of the city.

Loca - I had no idea about the moisture in the area affecting people with asthma or other respiratory problems. I have such bad allergies and asthma in San Diego but every time I go to Seattle I'm fine the entire time.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

You and Audra are probably allergic to different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm glad that gray days don't bum me out. I mean, some sunshine is nice, but overall I prefer cloudy/overcast days.
    Phoenix's blazing 100+ degree days effect my mood much more.. In that it makes me feel like tearing all of my skin off.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Loca - I had no idea about the moisture in the area affecting people with asthma or other respiratory problems. I have such bad allergies and asthma in San Diego but every time I go to Seattle I'm fine the entire time.
    It depends on your triggers I guess, my son was the worst with his asthma, he was having attacks regularly (at least once a month) that landed him in the hospital, we have lived here 12 yrs or so and he has only had 2 attacks. Mine wasn't as severe with the asthma but I had horrible allergies in the spring to the point of my eyes swelling shut and oozing and then in the winter I would get sinus/respiratory infections.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I plan on moving to Portland this summer and I'm really hoping the gray doesn't affect me too much. Right now I'm thinking I'd WAAAYYY rather deal with that than our Alaskan winters which are pretty depressing already, mostly due to the lack of sunlight. I mean, it might be shitty but how much worse can it be for me? My first choice was Austin but I was worried how I'd handle the heat during the summer.

I am gonna miss the Alaska summers though. Not having the sun go down til past 11 PM, dusk then morning is pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I should jump in here based on the discussion. I grew up in Las Vegas and was used to the sun. Moved from LV to Colorado. Still lot of sun, moved from Colorado to SF and SF had their coldest summer on record last year and it hurt, alot. I only realized recently how the weather effected my mood. It has an even worse effect on my wife. There are some promotion options currently available for me right now in Seattle but the big thing holding me back is that Seattle is much greyer then the Bay Area. I gotten used to the weather now and I love it (although that is much easier for me to say now considering this year has been MUCH sunnier then last year).
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Actually Seattle and SF (depending on neighborhood - if it's the Sunset, totally analogous) aren't terribly different. If you handled one SF summer you can handle a Seattle winter season. Sure, it's grey a lot, but when the sun's out here you could just sing for the joy of it. Which is a horribly sappy way to put it but there's really no comparison to a sunny NW day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Seriously. I'm a California girl. Central coast to San Diego and then Seattle, and once you adjust it is not even a thing. Sure, we whinge a bit, but everything normalizes.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Actually Seattle and SF (depending on neighborhood - if it's the Sunset, totally analogous) aren't terribly different. If you handled one SF summer you can handle a Seattle winter season. Sure, it's grey a lot, but when the sun's out here you could just sing for the joy of it. Which is a horribly sappy way to put it but there's really no comparison to a sunny NW day.
    we live in an island in the east bay called Alameda which has almost the same weather as the colder parts of SF, but the sunny day thing is spot on. A Sunny day literally makes you sing this song:
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Seriously. I'm a California girl. Central coast to San Diego and then Seattle, and once you adjust it is not even a thing. Sure, we whinge a bit, but everything normalizes.
    I don't know, my wife was raised in Southern California and the lack of Sun makes her want to cut people. I don't know if she will ever get used to it, hence the Seattle almost being a non-starter for her.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    My two cents from limited experience..I wanted to fall in love with Seattle, but I just wasn't feeling it. In fact, I left with a fairly bad impression. I'm not sure why, it's been a few years now. On the other hand, I instantly felt at home in Portland.

Part of the problem may have been I was looking at Portland as a potential home and tried to experience it that way, where in Seattle I was a tourist frustrated with the confusing freeway exits and trying to go places filled with other dick tourists.
    Doing more and more research. Looking like N-NW Portland is our type of area. Rents are expensive. Want to move with us and be roomies?

Also, thanks to Lilia, Seattle may be back in the mix. Really depends on where Rick can get transferred to.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 09-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I think this is pretty true... but there is definitely less sun in general in Seattle... Normally in SF it pokes through here and there... in Seattle you can go weeks without it. But damn... when it comes out? Game over.

Seattle summers are warmer than bay area summers though.

Portland is wetter and cloudier than Seattle.

The grey in Portland is more oppressive than the grey in Seattle. Average rainfall is about the same.

My mother-in-law grew up in Seattle and lived in Portland too. She said that Portland was tougher to live in as far as weather. She then moved to San Francisco before moving to SoCal. She said that she would never go back to the Northwest after living south.

Personally, I would love to live in SF or NW. SoCal suburbia kind of sucks.

Just spent a weekend here for the first time in my life and I'm in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Yeah, I loved my visit there last month(especially the breweries and the Crystal Ballroom). My kind of town.

EDIT* Also, every person I met was very welcoming and friendly.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 09-27-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I think the only thing I disliked about the city, period, was that the street name signs only have writing on one side. That got annoying and dangerous, quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    I think the only thing I disliked about the city, period, was that the street name signs only have writing on one side. That got annoying and dangerous, quickly.
    Ha. Funny you say that. Every person I came across in Portland has said to me "The only thing I hate about this city is the inability to read street signs."

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Hmph.

The Ace Hotel in Portland has room reservations on sale right now on HauteLook for $97 per night, for stays of two or more days between November and March. It's a pretty great deal, and a pretty great hotel.

My friends stayed there this weekend and said their room was wallpapered with pages from an encyclopedia.

Is that the one that used to be a schoolhouse?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Oh, the Ace is right by my work! I almost got my dad and sister to stay there, but they ended up sticking to the east side. That place looks swanky as a mother on the outside. It's very near Kenny and Zuke's, too.

Tessa, I am bummed that I didn't get a chance to hang out with you while you were here. I had a more hectic weekend than I anticipated. Next time, eh?

Lastly, I have this to say about Portland: I have been here for two years and four days, and I can't think of any place I'd rather be, ever. I could sit inside my room all day for a week straight and still be utterly in love with the city. I grew up in California, and I am never, ever going back.

Don't tempt me.

Just kidding. I'd never leave LA.

I really kinda want to move to Portland. Such a cool city.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm a horrible friend and only just now got around to listening to the album of one of my best friends who lives in portland. and i loved it. so i'm making up for my delayed listen by shamelessly promoting them here. it's happy and sounds a little like squirrel nut zippers.

so if you ever get the chance, check out AnnaPaul and the Bearded Lady, please do. i recommend the sheik of araby.

their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/littlestbigband
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'm hoping this next upcoming summer is my last one in Phoenix.

I lived in Portland for 1.5 years and have lived in SF the past 1.5 years, and I think the weather in SF is much better than Portland. Its much milder and more sunny days. Portland is beautiful and all that rain really makes everything green, but the summers can get hot while the summers in SF are still really mild.

If you have issues with sun depravation, Portland is probably not the place for you. I do think that Seattle is probably a little more sunny though.

However, Portland is a really cool town, its a little small, so a good place to live for 2-5 years. But if you like a bigger city, Seattle is a better option.

I really don't care for the sun. Been to San Fran enough to know I don't want to live there. Seattle is option #2 for us.