Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama picks Joe Biden as running mate

Exclamation Obama picks Joe Biden as running mate

what do you think they are looking at? and who is Mr. Dodo?

Barack Obama has chosen Delaware Sen. Joe Biden as his vice presidential running mate, a pick designed to shore up the Illinois senator's foreign policy credentials in advance of the November election against John McCain.

Biden's selection was confirmed by a Democratic source after an evening of speculation that centered on the Delaware senator when it was reported that the other top contenders were no longer under consideration. Biden had been considered the frontrunner for the job in recent weeks -- a position confirmed by a last-minute, unscheduled trip last weekend to meet with the president of Georgia.

News of the pick was reported in advance of the Obama campaign's planned Saturday announcement to supporters via email and text message.

Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972 at the age of 29. A month after his election, his wife and daughter were killed in a car accident. Biden has not been seriously challenged since that first election -- a reflection of both the Democratic roots of the state and Biden's skillfulness as a politician.

Long rumored as a candidate for national office, Biden launched a presidential bid in 1987 that was gaining traction until a video was leaked to the press that showed striking similarities between a speech by Biden and an address by British Labour Party politician Neil Kinnock. Biden sought to beat back the controversy but subsequent allegations about plagiarism and resume inflation in law school forced him from the contest.

Biden was subsequently stricken in early 1988 by a brain aneurysm from which he recovered fully. Once his health improved, Biden threw himself back into the day to day working of the Senate where he chaired the high profile Judiciary Committee from 1987 until 1995. In that role, he chaired the controversial Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas. Biden has also served several stints as the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, a perch from which he has emerged as one of the leading voices in the Democratic Party on foreign policy matters.

Two decades after his first bid for president, Biden launched a second candidacy in 2007. He was never considered anything more than a longshot due to the presence of both Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton in the contest but acquitted himself well in the eyes of the Democratic establishment. Biden proved that the charisma that had recommended him as a rising star in the 1980s was still very much part of his political portfolio; he also excelled in the myriad debates held among the Democratic aspirants during the primary season.

For Obama, the Biden pick is a sign that he and his campaign believe that foreign policy matters will be front and center in the fall election. Biden brings the Democratic ticket immediate gravitas on issues ranging from the war in Iraq to the ongoing conflict between Russia and Georgia.

McCain has made no secret that he believes Obama's experience in public life ill suits him to handle the complex world situation into which the next president will immediately step. Biden, a serious politician with a far deeper resume than Obama, will complicate -- if not entirely blunt -- Republican attacks on the Illinois senator's readiness for office.

We'll have far more about the pick both on The Fix and the washingtonpost.com site more generally throughout the day. In the meantime, make sure to check out the case for and case against Biden as vice president we made in this space. They should provide a blueprint for how Democrats and Republicans will try to define the Delaware senator in the coming weeks and months.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: Obama picks Joe Biden as running mate

Mistah mutha fuckin' DO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    what do you think they are looking at? and who is Mr. Dodo?

Mr. Dodo is Chris Dodd

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I bet Mr. Dodo releases his hip hop album this year.

Mr. Dodo (ft. Mariah Carey)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

This is called "How to shoot yourself in the foot 101".

Biden isn't a good VP choice. Chief of Staff? Yes. Vice-President? No.

I mean, if there was any way Obama could have made himself be more like John McCain, as if accepting under the table campaign contributions from corporate lobbyists wasn't enough, it was by picking a white, old, Vice-Presidential candidate.

Here is the president, same as the last.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

so he had to pick a minority vp candidate? that doesn't make any sense, I'm sorry, I would rather have a half minority winning ticket than a losing all-minority ticket just to say that it was done

plus, that makes him like john mccain? sure, also it makes him like abraham licoln, george washington, oh fuck, wait, EVERY PRESIDENT EVER.

I think this was a great choice. a strong, liberal candidate that compliments O-bombs strengths while adding another voice, just what he said he wanted.

Right, since y'know we're in a race where he's promoting himself as the agent of change, as being the guy who won't be like all the other oligarchic old white men who have been in the oval office since our country's inception, that REALLY makes him like everyone beforehand.

The things that have made him such a viable presidential candidate (where once, two years ago, he was viewed as nothing more than a novelty) are the things that set him apart from the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy that dominates our government.

By not responding to attack ads and being a weak little bitch, by accepting millions and millions of dollars from lobbyists illegally, and by choosing an old white man as his vice-presidential candidate, Obama is showing more and more that he's willing to compromise everything about himself to get into power.

At the end of the day, Barack Obama is just another fucking politician, and in this day and age, that is unfortunate to say the least.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Son of a fucking bitch cocksucking motherfucking asshole retarded Democratic Party.

We are become Democrat, destroyer of worlds (well, the western democracy world at least).

I say all that as someone who would have been all for Joe Biden on true principles and platforms, and frankly at least a little BECAUSE of what a stupidly forthcoming candidate he was. But now he's just going to let things slip out of his mouth in a race that we're already taking a huge chance in, not to mention the fact that he does NOTHING to help carry the South.

Why, oh why, oh why didn't they listen to me and put Edwards up? Sure, he's pure evil wrapped in a charming Flanders face, but at least he would have won.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Right, since y'know we're in a race where he's promoting himself as the agent of change, as being the guy who won't be like all the other oligarchic old white men who have been in the oval office since our country's inception, that REALLY makes him like everyone beforehand.

The things that have made him such a viable presidential candidate (where once, two years ago, he was viewed as nothing more than a novelty) are the things that set him apart from the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy that dominates our government.

By not responding to attack ads and being a weak little bitch, by accepting millions and millions of dollars from lobbyists illegally, and by choosing an old white man as his vice-presidential candidate, Obama is showing more and more that he's willing to compromise everything about himself to get into power.

At the end of the day, Barack Obama is just another fucking politician, and in this day and age, that is unfortunate to say the least.
    Passive, how many times do I have to tell you to just keep your dumb trap shut about anything that matters? I'm sorry--you're calling Obama an Uncle Tom or traitor to his message or whatever you're saying because he didn't pick a minority as his running mate?

TAKE A GUESS HOW MANY CONGRESSPERSONS, SENATORS, OR GOVERNORS ARE NOT WHITE MEN, PASSIVE, YOU DUMB FUCK.

Go on. Take one. Now factor in that aside from Barack, Hillary, and Nancy Pelosi there's all of... I dunno, one or two maybe who are remotely prominent enough to ever be considered. I'm guessing, because I can't possibly think of any and I know you can't either.

You want them to risk this election even further by putting up the first black Presidential candidate and then try and get all Pitchfork about him selling out for not FURTHER alienating the many, many, many frightened prejudiced white voters that fill the entire country between the coasts?

How about this instead: produce a fucking argument that shows that you know the slightest bit about Joe Biden's stance on the issues, track record, character--you know, shit that actually matters.

You can still be a retarded myopic cunt about music, just cut it out with politics. Don't you appreciate what an asshole you look like with your big, fat, goofy-view-obstructing afro and almost total lack of contribution to society in any constructive sense still opening your uninformed yap so you can accuse Obama of being a sellout for picking a white man?

In case you haven't noticed, white men generally run the world. If you're gonna try to run it, you better have some on your fucking team or you're gonna be assed out. YOU, specifically--when McCain wins and the inevitable foot shortages hit and we're all on a 1200 calorie a day enforced ration, then I bet your gigantic tits will regret treating the first American of African descent who's managed to be smart, charismatic, eloquent, earnest, and wise enough to earn this distinction.

And if that wasn't enough, he's voluntarily made himself easily the most likely to be assassinated figure in American history thus far. You can't even man up to a diet, how the fuck can you call him an Uncle Tom when he's putting his life at tremendous risk, facing the possibility of leaving his wife widowed and kid(s?) orphaned... all so that we might finally have an old white man as Vice President and a young black man as President?

You're just such an oblivious, legitimately offensive ignoramus, dude. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I was going to respond with the same sentiment randy did but in a sentence or two. I guess I will just let that stand.

you sound like an upset college freshman right before they discover the libertarian party and think they have figured things out

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    when McCain wins and the inevitable foot shortages hit and we're all on a 1200 calorie a day enforced ration
    What's McCain doing with our feet? This makes me nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    \

you sound like an upset college freshman right before they discover the libertarian party and think they have figured things out
    hahah. that's awesome.

biden has said some things bad about obama when biden was running for pres, thats one thing that is bad .. but this will clinch it for obama, you guys watch ...x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Passive, you DO realize that Obama is trying to WIN the election...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I like the pick...Biden is feisty, smart and fairly liberal. He's also a Democrat that I could see my disaffected Texas Republican father voting for.
    Last edited by TonyWonder; 08-23-2008 at 07:17 AM.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

OMG!!!!???? he picked a white guy?!?!?!?1 stooooopiiiiiiid. he should have picked an African American or a Mexican American or something. anything but a white guy.

Biden is a great pick if you don't think about the election at all... I don't think he'll hurt Obama, but like Randy I'm a little perplexed at how Biden will help Obama win the election. I do like Biden though.

And Passive, shut the fuck up.

Why, oh why, oh why didn't they listen to me and put Edwards up? Sure, he's pure evil wrapped in a charming Flanders face, but at least he would have won.
    You DO realize that Edwards was in the news over the last week-plus because he had an affair recently and the bitch was claiming he fathered her child, don't you? That could pose just a bit of an issue in this election.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Extramarital affairs should always be a prerequisite for VP nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You DO realize that Edwards was in the news over the last week-plus because he had an affair recently and the bitch was claiming he fathered her child, don't you? That could pose just a bit of an issue in this election.
    I ignored that because I figured he was being hyperbolic.... Edwards is game over, especially after how big a role his support of his wife played in his campaign.

I liked Edwards too. I'm willing to overlook extramarital affairs even. haha.

God Why? This is the guy that thinks the best thing to do with Iraq is to slice it up into three different countries. What use is foreign policy experience if the man is an idiot?
    The White Stripes 9/18

Passive, how many times do I have to tell you to just keep your dumb trap shut about anything that matters? I'm sorry--you're calling Obama an Uncle Tom or traitor to his message or whatever you're saying because he didn't pick a minority as his running mate?

TAKE A GUESS HOW MANY CONGRESSPERSONS, SENATORS, OR GOVERNORS ARE NOT WHITE MEN, PASSIVE, YOU DUMB FUCK.

Go on. Take one. Now factor in that aside from Barack, Hillary, and Nancy Pelosi there's all of... I dunno, one or two maybe who are remotely prominent enough to ever be considered. I'm guessing, because I can't possibly think of any and I know you can't either.
    I can name 3 off the top of my head, but one's irrelevant (Keyes) and two are from California (Boxer, Feinstein), but whatever.

You want them to risk this election even further by putting up the first black Presidential candidate and then try and get all Pitchfork about him selling out for not FURTHER alienating the many, many, many frightened prejudiced white voters that fill the entire country between the coasts?
    What? What the fuck does Pitchfork-... Nevermind. I'll just forget that statement was completely asinine, but I will say this. You're damn right that I want to push the envelope in this election.

I don't get you, Randy. Half the time you're spouting the defeatist, cynical bile that urges everyone to give up, and the other half you're hopeful and trying to cast a silver lining on everything. Make up your fucking mind! Are you urging everyone to give up or are you urging everyone to make a fucking difference?

Barack Obama's campaign would like to make everyone think he's making a difference, but his choices since edging out Hilary Clinton have shown that, if anything, he really is the Uncle Tom of political candidates.

If he were to follow what the people really want, he wouldn't be pushing such a bullshit health plan, he wouldn't be backing down to every fucking McCain attack ad, and he wouldn't be fronting a change in economic structure while accepting upwards of 600,000$ from Coldman Sachs, 400,000$ from JP Morgan, and nearly 300,000$ from Morgan Stanley, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

In order for Barack Obama to win the election he CANNOT rely on the frightened white voters to win, that is fact.

How about this instead: produce a fucking argument that shows that you know the slightest bit about Joe Biden's stance on the issues, track record, character--you know, shit that actually matters.
    All anyone needs to know is the obvious: that he is a multi-term senator from a practically guaranteed Democrat-voting state (of Delaware). Biden is nothing more than a representation that what Barack Obama REALLY stands for is more of the same. More of the same and nothing else.

As for Biden, personally? Probably a nice guy. Doesn't change the fact that the Vice-Presidential seat is nothing more than a figurehead-esque post (except for "Inches from the Grave" McCain). And, because it's essentially an image-casting post, all Biden is doing for the campaign is to hold it back.

Also, by choosing Biden, he raises his chances for assassination quite a bit.

In case you haven't noticed, white men generally run the world. If you're gonna try to run it, you better have some on your fucking team or you're gonna be assed out.
    Gee... YA THINK?. Good god, for someone with even the slightest bit of intelligence, I am AMAZED that you don't see through your own convoluted BULLSHIT. The Vice-President is a FIGUREHEAD POSITION. The Vice-President is there either to shore up votes in specific territories (i.e. the South) or to provide a unified front, but other than that, the motherfucker serves NO OTHER PURPOSE other than to take over once McCain kicks the bucket 3 months into his term.

Also, Obama has plenty of smart white men running his campaign from behind the scenes, and so far, that has worked AMAZINGLY. Imagine that, Randy, white men letting a black man take all the credit AND IT ACTUALLY GETS PEOPLE TO VOTE. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM... GEE... NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, NOW WOULD WE?

And if that wasn't enough, he's voluntarily made himself easily the most likely to be assassinated figure in American history thus far. You can't even man up to a diet, how the fuck can you call him an Uncle Tom when he's putting his life at tremendous risk, facing the possibility of leaving his wife widowed and kid(s?) orphaned... all so that we might finally have an old white man as Vice President and a young black man as President?

You're just such an oblivious, legitimately offensive ignoramus, dude. Why?
    Because it's fake.

Because settling, compromising, and backing down has worked SO FUCKING WELL for our country.

Yes, I know he's a target for assassination, but did you think that maybe if he put someone behind him who was of the same skin color, maybe a different minority, or another sex, would lessen the chances of assassination?

I don't know about you, but going to all the trouble of killing a black man in power only to have another black man, or a latino, or an asian politician, or even a woman, take power right after him seems utterly less appetizing than going to all the trouble of doing so and having a white man (who reminds me so very much of LBJ, what with his senate experience and ability to bring together both parties for bipartisan bills in the senate, and so forth) replace him seems much more worth it.

It's just really fucking sad that the first legitimate black candidate for office has turned into such an Uncle Tom. It's also funny how the most radical of all the candidates is a white congressman from Texas.

I agree with you that Edwards would have made a better choice than Biden (at least he would have shored up some southern states), hell Chet Edwards would have made a better choice, but that doesn't change anything from the fact that the Obama campaign, one of misguided hope, is nothing but a sham and the choices that the Obama camp has made in the months following the defeat of Hilary Clinton will be the Democrats downfall in the election.
    Upcoming Shows:

" Good god, for someone with even the slightest bit of intelligence, I am AMAZED that you don't see through your own convoluted BULLSHIT. The Vice-President is a FIGUREHEAD POSITION. The Vice-President is there either to shore up votes in specific territories (i.e. the South) or to provide a unified front, but other than that, the motherfucker serves NO OTHER PURPOSE "

this statment alone makes any thing you say about politics < bacon ....x****

Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Thanks for pointing that out, Ron. I was going to, but I didn't think I could be polite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Dick Cheney is the exception to the rule, not the standard.
    Upcoming Shows:

bummer.. I was pulling for a Donald Rumsfeld ticket... RUMY told me he can get gas down to 1.99 a gallon if he gets in somehow...

i was a bit bummed that hillary isnt the no 2 cuz she could pave the way to the next presidency. if the dems get a big majority in the senate, i hope obama has her on the health care reform cuz she seems to be into that.

you guys complain that biden said some bad things about obama. so what? obama wants someone who's not a kiss ass and independent and has the balls to disagree with him. i think that guy is biden.

i'm sure the obama vetting team has gathered dirt on everyone they vetted and i think they can deal with the negative baggages biden carries.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Actually the chick or ahem bitch claims the child is not Edwards child and had said there will NOT be a paternity test. I believe she has been rewarded well for what she is saying.