Page 80 of 96 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2861

Thread: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Default Re: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

I know it's a tall order but is there a Sun Ra expert on the board?

I found this was worth an hour of my day.

Twice.

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-ep...paul-mccartney
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) is claiming to be Burial. Like for real.

http://equalizermag.com/news/four-te...-he-is-burial/
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

No. That's a satirical site.

11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Is it? Ok. My brother just sent me that link. I guess I should have looked at the other articles.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Other "news" headliners from that site:

"James Blake Launches Line of Button Down Shirts in Partnership with H&M"

Shirts In Partnership With H&M
    June 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Photo: Mixmag
    LONDON — British post-dubstep pin-up James Blake has announced today that he will be launching his own range of stylish-but-minimal button-down shirts to be sold in H&M stores across Europe and North America.

Blake’s brand, Measurements, is due to be launched at the end of the month and will begin with a select range of men’s collared shirts in various shades of grey.

The shirts will be 100% organic-made fair trade Egyptian cotton and styled with an embroidered “JB” on the pocket; inspired by Blake’s own designs.

The product line will launch with three styles: ‘God, I Miss Her’ – a charcoal grey with an Albany collar; ‘She Never Knew I Loved Her’ – a off-metallic blue-grey with short sleeves; and ‘It Always Rains When You’re Gone’ – a light grey long sleeve with two buttons on each lapel.

“So many shirts are too fussy,” says Blake in a press release.

“They have so much detail and the wide range of colours is enough to give you a headache.”

“We approached James because we liked his style and grey is set to be this year’s new black,” added Sylvia Morrison, the UK spokesperson for H&M.

So, when’s the drop?

The shirts will be launched later this month at Oxford Street’s flagship H&M store in central London, with a North American launch planned for later in July.
    "Berlin Laundromat Owner Disappointed That Her Son Doesn't Want to Produce Techno"
    Shazri has been proudly operating Das Soap Maschine for years, but Berlin’s changing economy leads her to believe techno might be more profitable
    BERLIN – Shabiza Shazri, owner of the popular laundromat Das Soap Maschine located in central Berlin, says she is disappointed that her son shows no interest in pursuing a career in techno; the lifeblood of the German city.

Despite her constant prodding, Samir, the youngest of her two sons, seems reticent to follow his older brother Omar in a career as a DJ.

Shazri says she advises her son that he should have a career producing minimal techno, but he wants to run the family laundromat instead.

“There’s no future in laundromats,” says Shazri.

“Techno is our industry and we need to be proud.”

The hard-working mother of two even went so far as to find Samir a vintage Roland 909 on eBay like the one played by Robert Hood when he was in seminal Detroit trio Underground Resistance.

“It is still sitting on his desk in his bedroom untouched,” Shazri mourns.

While Samir’s friends spend their nights at warehouse parties dancing, taking drugs, and staying up until sunrise, Samir spends his time at home making spreadsheets to improve the efficiency of the family business.

“He has always been the black sheep of the family,” she adds, raising her voice.

“He hasn’t once been to Berghain and he can’t even point to Detroit on a map.”

I find the "Is Four Tet, Burial?" thing is pretty funny especially how Hebden plays off of it. He must think everyone is crazy.

Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

That second article is so lulzy.

Listening to Free Kitten right now, Sentimental Education should be more popular.

Fact Mag is counting down their top 100 albums of the 80s this week. Unsurprisingly, there's a lot of unorthodox choices so far, but I find lists like this more interesting because they give me something new to delve into instead of just reaffirming my own tastes. http://www.factmag.com/2013/06/24/th...-1980s-100-81/
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Holy shit, 12 mix cds worth of punk/post-punk songs with female lead singers from '77-'89: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/g...bands_1977-198

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Fact Mag is counting down their top 100 albums of the 80s this week. Unsurprisingly, there's a lot of unorthodox choices so far, but I find lists like this more interesting because they give me something new to delve into instead of just reaffirming my own tastes. http://www.factmag.com/2013/06/24/th...-1980s-100-81/
    Wow. I haven't even heard of most of those albums. Time to make another Spotify playlist. Thanks for posting this.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Hey TallGuy, care to share that playlist link when completed?

I'd be happy to, unfortunately more than half the albums I've looked up so far aren't available.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow. I haven't even heard of most of those albums.
    I'm in the same boat; Patrick, what are a handful of the less-well-known releases which you would consider essential listens?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I'm listening to Scraping Foetus off the Wheel's Nail thanks to this.

Also want to check out Bongwater.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Yeah, I didn't think a lot of those would show up on Spotify. A bunch are just barely on ?. There's a ton of stuff I'm unfamiliar with too, which is why I find it exciting.

That Soft Boys album is a fucking classic, really great rock songs, although it's fairly well known.
    Soft Boys - "Old Pervert"

The Units album has some really fun, interesting synth pop songs, I don't know if it's top 100 of the 80s material, but it's worth a listen. The title track and "Warm Moving Bodies" are pretty classic.
    The Units - "Digital Stimulation"

That Nurse With Wound album really is one of his best but it's completely different from most of his stuff in that it's kind of straight drone.

The Monochrome Set have some amazing post punk songs, some of them used to be in Adam & The Ants, quirky, catchy songs with extraordinarily clever lyrics.
    The Monochrome Set - The Monochrome Set (I Presume) (seriously, read along and be amazed at how he twists such cumbersome phrases into unforgettable melodies, and then there's the drums, and oh yeah, the Spanish guitar breakdown)

Fabio Frizzi is a great giallo soundtrack composer on par with Goblin.

Polyrock is really tight, terse jittery post punk pop stuff, but I've mostly listened to their second album, Changing Hearts, in the past. So I'll post the title track from that one because it's really good.
    Polyrock - "Changing Hearts"

Antena is like Young Marble Giants doing samba. It's really low key but really fucking satisfying.
    Antena - Camino Del Sol

Lustmord is dark ambient. If you like that stuff, you've probably already heard him.

I only know one Marc & The Mambas track, but it's great. Marc Almond doing theatrical (of course) gothy organ shit.
    Marc & The Mambas - "Black Heart"

Foetus has been one of my favorite artists for over a decade. He applies a cinematic scope, sound collage studio trickery, and the full range of 20th century music from big band on out into bracing, pummeling industrial songs with lyrics that twist common cliches into darkly funny rants. If I was bombing people in Vietnam a la Apocalypse Now, this would be my Flight Of The Valkyries.
    Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel - "Anything (Viva!)"

Going further back, Einsturzende Neubauten is pretty much responsible for every industrial band that formed in their wake. Notorious for using power tools and scrap metal as instruments, what's really surprising about them is how tuneful their chaos could be.
    Einsturzende Neubauten - "Kollaps"

Roedelius was part of Cluster and Cluster was one of the greatest electronic acts of all time, and his solo stuff is usually pretty good too.

I really want to do a decade-by-decade best albums list as compiled by the board. It's an idea I've had floating around for awhile but never really pitched before.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So that we can confirm the board is really into Radiohead, Daft Punk, Tool, NIN, and David Bowie?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I really want to do a decade-by-decade best albums list as compiled by the board. It's an idea I've had floating around for awhile but never really pitched before.
    ? did this, it was a year long project, and votes were collected for a given year (say, 1970) in a week. i.e. Each week people named their favorite albums of a certain year. It was a pretty massive undertaking though. Basically one guy compiled all the votes and made collages for each year, with the top % in the "best of [year]" and then all the rest in "[year] the ones that didn't make the cut"

Edit: Sorry I'm exhausted and I know this is confusing.

So that we can confirm the board is really into Radiohead, Daft Punk, Tool, NIN, and David Bowie?
    You could add this disclaimer "other than Radiohead, Daft Punk, Tool, NIN, and David Bowie."
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

I'll start the "So we're 1/3 of the way through the 2010s..." thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I mean, that's how it would turn out, but it'd be fun as hell to see the 70s and 80s (hell, even 90s) lists from people like you, Tom, Heidi and others who don't conform to the narrow view of so many board shits. I'd LOVE to see Zack's bizarro take on the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I mean, that's how it would turn out, but it'd be fun as hell to see the 70s and 80s (hell, even 90s) lists from people like you, Tom, Heidi and others who don't conform to the narrow view of so many board shits. I'd LOVE to see Zack's bizarro take on the decades.
    Then you're suggesting not so a much poll-vote that ranks things (which would admittedly be boring) but some sort of collaborative contribution of board members describing what and why their choices are?

Then you're suggesting not so a much poll-vote that ranks things (which would admittedly be boring) but some sort of collaborative contribution of board members describing what and why their choices are?
    This could be fun; maybe an album or two per year for a given decade?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

How many albums in general for each decade? I'll compile something.
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Exactly. My mind immediately jumps to a list of 100 albums per decade because that's how most people approach it, but I kind of like the idea of a certain amount of albums per year. I'll make a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Hey TallGuy, care to share that playlist link when completed?
    I'll post the '80s playlist when they post the rest of it, for now I went through their '90s list and a lot more was available.

I made a Spotify list of their '90s list here

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Solid