Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2798

Thread: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Sunn O)))'s entire catalog is available to stream, for free, on their Bandcamp page.
    Awesommmme

EDIT: jesus I had no idea there was so much stuff
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Lovely Quinces
    21 years old girl from Croatia
    massive talent, plays some folkish indie pop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNqLqg0fEM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR-TOYN1fHI

think she will do some small US shows later in the year....

Fuck....and.......yes. http://www.avclub.com/articles/steve...is-done,97359/ Of course, to whittle down a couple songs and come up with art work, maybe another year or two?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the songs they played from the forthcoming album on the last tour were more weird, goofy and spare than just about anything they've done before. I can't wait for that one. Looks like I have to listen to Excellent Italian Greyhound tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was thinking of making a parody of SMA's threads but seriously, what happened to Air? I've been listening to them on shuffle since getting back from Vegas yesterday and it's great. I missed them at Coachella 2007 and I heard they had issues...were they ever any good live? Are they still playing? I don't love their entire discog but the 30 or so songs I have here from across their output are seriously otherworldly IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

They put out an album last year, just 3 years after their previous effort. They haven't toured since 2010 though.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I was thinking of making a parody of SMA's threads but seriously, what happened to Air? I've been listening to them on shuffle since getting back from Vegas yesterday and it's great. I missed them at Coachella 2007 and I heard they had issues...were they ever any good live? Are they still playing? I don't love their entire discog but the 30 or so songs I have here from across their output are seriously otherworldly IMO.
    Coachella 2004 at sunset on the main stage on Sunday they were just absolutely perfect. Talkie Walkie had just come out and they did a pretty even split between that album and Moon Safari. I can't think of any better sunset music.

I have been listening to this track a lot from a Iceland group called Bloodgroup.I like how it build up to a really chill bass pop song.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I have notice that its either a lack of an ability to really define a band sound or its a very dumb habit of trying to connect a band to another bands sound or place them in genre.Now that i got this gulit of why I do not like to post a lot of album reviews out of the way heres some so-so nonsense.

(WARNING ANYTHING EVEN ADMITTED BY MYSELF AS KINDA OR SO-SO NONSENSE SHOULD AND SHALL BE PLACED UNDER EXTREME NONSENSE)

I really think foxygens debut album is so far is one of the best debut albums of the year yet I also have this gut feeling in a few years Im going to be embrassed by this. Mainly because my intial thoughts are "Oh they sound kinda like MGMT meet some retro folk music" yet its kinda nonsensical.
    Last edited by getbetter; 05-11-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

So I work with this older guy (he's 57) and he's super awesome. The other day we get to talking about music and it turns out he's probably the MOST knowledgeable person music-wise I've ever encountered and wins the award for having seen the best bands live ever. Talking Heads three times in a club, The Gun Club, Bowie during Ziggy Stardust tour, Teardrop Explodes, Television right after Marquee Moon came out, Elliott Smith, My Bloody Valentine in the late 80s, Slowdive, The Fall in the 80s, Fugazi,and on and on.... Basically I'm extremely jealous.. and it's funny 'cause he's 57 and knows all about new music as well. Idk, I think it's super cool and I hope to be like him when I'm that old.

What a cunt. I want to have seen Television. It doesn't even have to have been right after Marquee Moon came out, but that would have been dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post

I really think foxygens debut album is so far is one of the best debut albums of the year
    agree. going strong as my clear favorite of the year so far still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

So I'm going through my DVR to clean it up and I stumble across this old Later with Jools Holland from 2008 that I recorded who knows when and never got a round to watching:

the killers: tight as fuck but I couldn't stop chuckling whenever Flowers sang "Are we human or are we dancers?" He also wore this toreador blazer festooned with feathers. They got to play four songs and Al Green got one. Someone should get sacked for that.

Fleet Foxes: Looking like they had not bathed in over a week in anticipation for this gig. Sounded great. Looked bemused/bored watching the killers perform their third (of four) songs.

Pendulum: can't believe I never checked these guys out: loud and energetic and melodic. Did they ever play Coachella? Reminded me of Kasabian a bit.

Little Boots: nice voice. nice song. nice to look at.

Monkey: Journey to the West: I had no idea who or what this was. I didn't like it much or understand it but I could not look away. There was a dancing panda in the background eating bamboo shoots and dancing in front of a screen showing anime video clips. My wife, watching with me and trying to discern what was going on, dropped a Gorrillaz reference and there you have it. One Wikipedia click later and we were both educated.

Al Green crooning "Let's Stay Together" at the end. Soooooo worth the wait. He needs to play Coachella next year.

I have notice that its either a lack of an ability to really define a band sound or its a very dumb habit of trying to connect a band to another bands sound or place them in genre.Now that i got this gulit of why I do not like to post a lot of album reviews out of the way heres some so-so nonsense.

(WARNING ANYTHING EVEN ADMITTED BY MYSELF AS KINDA OR SO-SO NONSENSE SHOULD AND SHALL BE PLACED UNDER EXTREME NONSENSE)

I really think foxygens debut album is so far is one of the best debut albums of the year yet I also have this gut feeling in a few years Im going to be embrassed by this. Mainly because my intial thoughts are "Oh they sound kinda like MGMT meet some retro folk music" yet its kinda nonsensical.
    ... WHAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I think he means, "Warning anything even admitted by myself as kinda or so-so nonsense should and shall be placed under extreme nonsense."

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

IT'S YOUR JOB TO FIND WHERE NONSENSE IS LOCATED.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I have been listening to this track a lot from a Iceland group called Bloodgroup.I like how it build up to a really chill bass pop song.
    The new Bloodgroup record is fucking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Coachella 2004 at sunset on the main stage on Sunday they were just absolutely perfect. Talkie Walkie had just come out and they did a pretty even split between that album and Moon Safari. I can't think of any better sunset music.
    This. It was my first Coachella. It was extraordinarily hot out all weekend...I think the KROQ tent said the temperature was 113 on Sunday. Regardless of how accurate that was, it was exhausting, even being 15. Air at sunset on the main stage is not only one of the best Coachella sets I've ever seen, it was one of the best shows I've seen, period. It was incredible. Perfect tunes in the perfect environment at the perfect time. It was starting to cool down, they played great songs from their two best records, and you could just lay on the grass and soak it in. That's the Coachella I miss, and the Coachella that doesn't exist anymore. I feel lucky to have been there to experience it.

I saw Air at the Fox Oakland a few years ago and it was fantastic. I hope they have another good album in them before they call it a day...

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Apparently the American Idol winner is from my county. It's killing my facebook page, tv (they are literally breaking into other programs to tell us she won), people are talking about it, blah, blah, blah. "Yes, I love music. No, I don't watch American Idol. Why? Because I don't like things that suck." Truly not looking forward to interacting with people tomorrow.

The person who compiled this list seems like the kind I'd want to take road trips with.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This. It was my first Coachella. It was extraordinarily hot out all weekend...I think the KROQ tent said the temperature was 113 on Sunday. Regardless of how accurate that was, it was exhausting, even being 15. Air at sunset on the main stage is not only one of the best Coachella sets I've ever seen, it was one of the best shows I've seen, period. It was incredible. Perfect tunes in the perfect environment at the perfect time. It was starting to cool down, they played great songs from their two best records, and you could just lay on the grass and soak it in. That's the Coachella I miss, and the Coachella that doesn't exist anymore. I feel lucky to have been there to experience it.
    Not true. It's still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I disagree Amy. That Coachella left, if you want to be REALLY judicious about it, during clusterfuckchella. I still enjoyed 2012 greatly, and I loved 2009 and 2010, but I'd say RATM is what really changed the dynamic on the field. There was no going back.

I disagree Amy. That Coachella left, if you want to be REALLY judicious about it, during clusterfuckchella. I still enjoyed 2012 greatly, and I loved 2009 and 2010, but I'd say RATM is what really changed the dynamic on the field. There was no going back.
    Just curious, what did rage do to change it? My first year was 2012.

Just the crowd that came out for them. Their announcement was a huge deal, and it drew a large group of Rage-only people to the fest who would not have been there otherwise. I met quite a few of them on the fields over the course of the three days who were very nice, conversational music fans and who fit in with what Coachella was to me at that point, but there were also the people you'd think of as "Rage fans" in the most detrimental use of that term: aggressive, pointlessly violent and (ironically) ignorant of the band's message beyond the most blatant face of it. They made the main stage intolerable for parts of Sunday, and for the first time I felt boxed in at times on the Polo Field. Prior to 2007 that was never an issue that I ran into, and the contrary, brotastic set was not so loudly "there." They never truly left the festival since 2007, and while it took 2011 for them to be as dominating a presence again, they did change the feel of the fest for me.

But the bigger thing was the crowds. While the Bro set is the worst part of any crowd for me, just the overwhelming glut of people became more of an issue that year, and it's really built every year (2011 being the obvious, intolerable outlier.)

Edit: and I'm a big RATM fan. I unabashedly love all four of their albums and went nuts when they played. I loved their set, I saw them again on the reunion tour, and I'm happy they played Coachella. The festival changing was inevitable, and some of the changes have been great. But to say that you can still get the 2004 Coachella vibe today is just incorrect. It was very different back then, in both good and bad ways.
    Last edited by bmack86; 05-17-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Their announcement was a huge deal, and it drew a large group of Rage-only people to the fest who would not have been there otherwise.
    Ha, this was definitely me. I mean, Rage wasn't the only band I wanted to see, but it was my main motivation. It was great being exposed to so much great music throughout the weekend.
    I've always had fun at Coachella(even in 2010). Befriended some great people and witnessed some incredible performances. That all said, I doubt I'll go back. The magic is gone for me and there are so many other festivals out there to experience.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 05-18-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Interesting. I have no idea how it was before, but I guess I still feel the magic even if I have encountered douchey people (the random fuck who yelled "jewfrow" and thought it was alright to tap my forehead) but can't let those people ruin your time. The good definitely outweighs the bad

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I went solely for Rage. I opened up to everything that weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

If anyone is super bored, you can listen to me play music on the radio for another 40 minutes at wmpg.org

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Interesting. I have no idea how it was before, but I guess I still feel the magic even if I have encountered douchey people (the random fuck who yelled "jewfrow" and thought it was alright to tap my forehead) but can't let those people ruin your time. The good definitely outweighs the bad
    That's downright fucked up.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.