Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 2743

Thread: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Default Re: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Solid

I don't know that I posted about it here, but even if I did it deserves to be posted again. This new site, The Talkhouse, features writing and reviews from musicians, and so far it's been great. In particular note for Tom is the fact that Amy Klein has done a few great, thoughtful pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

This album is absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if it falls under afrobeat or not, but it's some of the most spacious, hypnotic world music I've ever heard. It's really hard to believe this came out in 1999 and not decades earlier.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I saw Tony Allen for free in Chicago a few years back and it was pretty incredible. You're in for a good show. For some reason, I never really dug into his recorded output though. I'll add him to the overwhelming heap.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I discovered this Boards of Canada Remix of Why?'s "Good Friday" tonight and it is astounding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSr1WVgx9w
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

I live somewhat in the past because the only tv I watch live is news, all the rest is usually vis a via the DVR. So old news from last night, did anyone catch the promo for the show "Super Fun Night" where they used the Get Lucky tune for the music? Those guys are marketing geniuses imo ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I will admit I am not a good judge of which band is "bigger" than another band. But I was quite surprised to see this:

http://www.bowerypresents.com/event/...nthem-new-york

The Hold Steady opening for the Gaslight Anthem? really?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The last two Hold Steady albums have been dreadful. Actually I'd say they've all been fairly poor since Separation Sunday. The Gaslight Anthem have only been getting better over that time.

Also the Gaslight Anthem have 445k listeners on Last.fm. The Hold Steady have 386k.

Spotify shows near 3.7M listeners for "45" compared to 362k for "Stuck Between Stations".

I am not sure when it happened either but, yeah, it makes a lot of sense.

Also Craig shows up at a lot of NYC shows. He was at that Our Band Could Be Your Life show (playing the policeman for Titus' take on the Replacements), he has shown up with the Mountain Goats at least once, etc. Him playing isn't a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The Gaslight album got really huge. They had quite a bit of radio play in L.A. for a while.

but i totally disagree about The Hold Steady's quality - i LOVE Stay Positive, it's such a great album, especially "Sequestered In Memphis." I thought Heaven is Whenever was pretty good too.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Now here's a piece of confusing music news

So, Ryan Adams and Fall Out Boy are making punk rock together
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...rock-together/
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

I'm not very familiar with The Hold Steady, but it seemed like "Stay Positive" was a love letter to Youth of Today and other NYHC. Was this just me? Cause to me that record seemed a lot better with all of that in mind.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post

but i totally disagree about The Hold Steady's quality - i LOVE Stay Positive, it's such a great album, especially "Sequestered In Memphis." I thought Heaven is Whenever was pretty good too.
    This. Stay Positive was dismissed much too quickly.

Edit: Wierd side note, i just listened to 45 on YouTube and the ad had a Hold Steady song backing it. Oh the irony!
    Last edited by Jordanp; 07-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Any of you guys able to figure who the special guest is?

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

when I google search the naked and famous, the little band bio that google shows describes them as a "New Zealand post-punk revival band from Auckland".

listening to them, is this really what post-punk revival means? maybe New Zealand had a unique kind of post-punk that is being revived here...

New Zealand post-punk, in general, was better than UK or US post-punk. One man's opinion, but their post punk took the Joy Division sound to extremes or invented lo-fi guitar pop. So unless the Naked and Famous are an awesome act repping the Clean, the Chills, This Kind of Punishment, the Dead C or their ilk, they can fuck themselves in their ignorant asses.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

to be fair, it's google that calls them that. I'm not sure whether the band make such a claim.

It says that on Wikipedia as well, along with synthpop and indie.
    last.fm

Ahh, well, at least initially New Wave was considered in the same vein as Post-Punk, as that Simon Reynolds book, Rip it Up and Start Again, readily illustrates. But yeah, there's no blaming New Zealand for them, as their independent music scene is much better than that.

To the point that i personally distinguish New Wave and synthpop as 2 different things, which started when someone described Joe Jackson's "I'm The Man" as new wave.

I actually like The Naked and The Famous, though this resembles post punk in no way, shape, nor form (though it's a fucking catchy song)

It's HIGHLY possible they have earlier work that we haven't been exposed to that is "post punk revival" though, and they ended up totally changing their sound.

I mean, if you look at Killing Joke's wikipedia, the first thing it says is "Killing Joke are an English post-punk band formed in October 1978 in Notting Hill, London, England," and they have albums that are as far removed from post punk as this (and it's shown as such in the wiki genre colum: Post-punk, gothic rock, electronic, industrial, industrial rock,industrial metal).
    last.fm

Man, sometimes i forget how actually amazing Jawbreaker was, and then I listen to some Jawbreaker, and I'm like...."OH YEAH they were legitimately amazing."
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    To the point that i personally distinguish New Wave and synthpop as 2 different things, which started when someone described Joe Jackson's "I'm The Man" as new wave.
    I agree. Tom and I had a discussion about defining new wave a few months ago.

The post punk label is difficult because it overlaps the period of "new wave" as distinct from the largely synth-based stuff that followed it (which people also call "new wave" as well). I mean, I say Elvis Costello and Talking Heads are new wave, and Wire and Gang of Four are post punk, and that distinction sounds right, but I have no idea why.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

So I found this gem from the 80's the other day. The rest of the album isn't as good but this song DESERVES A LISTEN. Pure psych bliss

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I agree. Tom and I had a discussion about defining new wave a few months ago.

The post punk label is difficult because it overlaps the period of "new wave" as distinct from the largely synth-based stuff that followed it (which people also call "new wave" as well). I mean, I say Elvis Costello and Talking Heads are new wave, and Wire and Gang of Four are post punk, and that distinction sounds right, but I have no idea why.
    Axiom 1: The Velvet Underground developed two distinct sounds :
    1. Motown influenced pop
    2. Dissonant atonal noise.

Axiom 2: Early NYC punk and the music associated with it developed in 3 distinct sounds:
    1. The accessibly modern themes of Harry Toledo, Blondie, Shirts, probably beginning with Talking Heads '77
    2. The garage and hardcore sounds of the Ramons, Heartbreakers etc.
    3. The grandiose experimentalism of Television, Patti Smith etc.

Axiom 3: Post-Punk, New Wave, and No Wave are all valid and distinguishable terms, each taking a greater influence from one of earlier sounds than the others.

I not know, I took a shot

VigoTheCarpathian

Sonic Youth, Half Jananese <- DNA, Teenage Jesus, Theoretical Girls <- Suicide -> Talking Heads -> Echo and the Bunnymen
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 08-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Fuck Death Grips.

I've not ever considered myself much a fan of their stuff, but they've squandered any good will I may have had for them with a year's worth of childish behavior, first with their label and then with their fans. The label thing wasn't punk rock; it was just stupid. What's even more stupid is just not showing up to a show that your fans paid for and that you booked. Or cancelling a tour because you want to record another album. Pricks.

I'm so used to listening to the Beach Boys from Pet Sounds onward, and it's been so entertaining and joyful listening to Endless Summer tonight, as inspired by "Help Me, Rhonda" playing over the closing credits of Mud, which people should watch.

I have 10 song names on my iPad that all start with the word Take

Runners up are We, What, and One
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Dolly Parton's "Jolene" slowed down to 33 rpm:

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

The VMA'S don't seem to be pushing DP very much. I am sort of surprised... cr*****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Fuck Death Grips.

I've not ever considered myself much a fan of their stuff, but they've squandered any good will I may have had for them with a year's worth of childish behavior, first with their label and then with their fans. The label thing wasn't punk rock; it was just stupid. What's even more stupid is just not showing up to a show that your fans paid for and that you booked. Or cancelling a tour because you want to record another album. Pricks.
    Waaaaaaaaa. It's about time that musicians remember that music isn't about the fans. Thank Gods. Cool, you like seeing a good show. That' superb of you. Does it mean that you matter? What positive legacy are you leaving behind? So what, a bunch of fans went home and had to smoke their pot watching tv. Boohoo man. They may write an album that will change the world instead of playing for your crybaby ass. It's much more likely that they'll create a real steamer of an album, but that's beside the point.

This whole, "We wouldn't be shit without the fans," is total artistic submission. They wouldn't be rich and doing good blow without the fans. They'd have to work, like the fans, and create more opportunity for fans to become someone without the fans. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Your war cry is sounding a lot like, "Fuck Artists! I want a show regardless!," when, if you were any kind of fan of art itself, you would realize the potential of the move... but what do I know, right?