The new Simpsons episode opened with I Was A Boy From School by Hot Chip and closed with Winter's Love by Animal Collective. So weird.
I also noted that one of the luxury ships was named the Nadir, I assumed in reference to the DFW essay A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. Sure enough, the episode last night was named A Supposedly Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again. Simpsons: On my wavelength.
I am listening to Archers of Loaf for the first time, specifically White Trash Heroes, and holy shit these guys are great!
1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy
5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
So I've listened to pretty much all The Knife and Austra that there is to hear, can somebody recommend me something awesome in the same vein please? I'd be terribly grateful.
Not yet, but I'll give it a bash, cheers.
That does remind me though, if somebody has Austra's Spellwork handy to group for me that would be spiffing, 'cause I can't find an MP3 version without skipping errors.
Yeah, it turns out you can forget how to speak internet.
I need to start using "give it a bash" and "that would be spiffing" a whole lot more.
this is happening, for some reason
Anybody heard The Wicked Tinkers? There is a cop who comes by my work often and I said something to him about wanting the week to be over so the Mogwai shows would be here. He asked what kind of band, told him a little bit about them blah blah. Anyways, he brought them up, said I'd check them out. It is an American Celtic band. I'm most of the way through their s/t and it is pretty fucking awesome. Pleasantly surprised.
I'd say they're neck-and-neck with Yo la Tengo.
Are people embarrassed for listening to Hot Chip yet?
Yesterday I listened to Brainiac's Hissing Prigs in Static Couture for the first time, and I think I've found a new band (that I should've been listening to when they were active) to get excited about.
We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.
I ever so slightly disagree with Rob here. Brainiac was a GREAT band, but I think that their catalog goes thusly: Bonsai Superstar > Hissing Prigs > Electro-Shock for President > Smack Bunny Baby.
And if you like them, check out John Schmersal's post-Brainiac band, Enon. High Society is a damn near perfect album that never got adequate recognition when it came out.
I am going to the dentist again today - actually a periodontist - and then back to my dentist again in a few weeks once I heal so I can get a crown... so I made a mix to distract me whilst stuck on a bus in traffic hoping I make it back to the city in time for my appointment. It is not quite what I would have picked specifically to listen to whilst the drilling and sawing is going on but I wouldn't say no.
Sawing Off My Own Jaw
1. David Rawlings Band - Sweet Tooth
2. The Antlers - Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out
3. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth
4. Sparklehorse - Sea of Teeth
5. The Wedding Present - Make Me Smile
6. Electrelane - Take the Bit Between Your Teeth
7. Ugly Casanova - Pacifico
8. Metallica - (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
9. The Olivia Tremor Control - Today I Lost a Tooth
10. Chavez - Tight Around the Jaws
11. Jawbox - Something Must Break
12. The Fall - Jawbone and the Air-Rifle
13. Big Black - Pavement Saw
14. The Mountain Goats - Terror Song
15. Dinosaur Jr. - Feel the Pain
16. The Snake the Cross the Crown - Cotton Teeth
17. ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Crowning of a Heart
18. Sonic Youth - Cotton Crown
19. Hope Sandoval and the Warm Intentions - Around My Smile
20. The Boo Radleys - Smile Fades Fast
21. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - And I'm Aching
22. Morphine - Cure for Pain
23. A Place to Bury Strangers - Smile When You Smile
I was going to upload and post a link but did not have time last night!
I'm curious what people here think about that Dead Sara group ("Weatherman"). Shit, or refreshing hard rock?
I had been meaning to check out Insignificance by Jim O'Rourke for years. It is, in fact, as good as the reviews have indicated.