Thread: Summer sonic review

Default Summer sonic review

I went to Summer sonic last weekends. This is my review of 2 days in Tokyo.

Day 1

I was a slow starter this morning. I got the venue 11 o`clock. I needed to change ticket to the wrist band. I had to go to all the way to marine stadium. While I was walking there, I could hear the Los Campesinos!. I was thinking to check the Metros and These new puritans in other venue, but I missed them. When I got mountain stage, the beat union was started. They sounded ok, young punkish enegeric sound. I moved sonic stage and checked blood red shoes. They sounded edgy. After, I saw Yelle at dance stage. She sounded cute French erectoronia pop.

I was taking a break sitting and seeing the marine stage from the TV scree. There was one republic. I did not like the apologize song, but it was stuck in my head.

I moved to sonic stage to check band of horses. They sounded good, very moody sound. I wish I could see them in outside with sunset or something. It was 2 o`clock inside of the building and hot. There was not much air around me.

I went to back to TV thing to check Subways. I liked their first album. I caught Oh yeah, with you, I want to hear what you have got to say and new songs. They sounded powerful and energetic than a few years ago. They did great rockn` roll.

I checked dance stage to see santogold, she looked like Mary J Blige. She sounded good, but I wanted to see cajun dance party. I am really hooked with their music, very original and beautiful. The singer`s voice sounded the singer of kooks a little bit. Amylase and next untouchable were highlight.

Unfortunately, there was some mechanical problem, the kills was cancelled. I heard we smoke fags in dance stage a little bit and headed to beach stage to see Paolo Nutini. I love beach stage, nice breeze and so laid back atmosphere. Paolo Nutini`s performance was excellent,too. It was very soulful, and jazzy. He is very talented, and I liked his voice. There were crazy English folks around me, so I was annoyed with them a bit.

This year is 150 years anniversay of Japan and UK diplomacy ,so two-third were British acts, and I have only seen British folks, no Americans.
    There was karaoke event that was organized by British embassy, and asked for volunteer to sing any UK songs. One middle age English guy volunteered to sing Let`s dance by David Bowie, 4 English guys sang Fake tale of San Francisco, and Take that song. That was funny.

After Paolo, I went to see Tokyo police club. I liked their new song, Your English is good. I liked the keyboard player, he stood out than singer, and he looked like the guy in hot chip. They were not that energetic than I expected

I could not make up my mind who I should see tonight. Go to marine stadium, and see verve and prodigy or, friendly fires,hot chip and pendulum in dance stage or, lost prophets and sex pistols in mountain stage or fratellis and paul weller in sonic stage. Tough choices.

I chose marine stage, verve and prodigy. Verve was first time to play in Japan. That was very touching and awesome performance. Richard stopped singing middle of drugs don`t work, and he said that he was going to sing lucky man, and he changed his mind, and he played drugs don`t work again.
    Bitter sweet symphony sounded very beautiful.

The prodigy gave us very thrilling performance. I saw them 10 years ago in Fuji rock. I think their performance was better than 10 years ago. I love them.
    After the prodigy, the fire works was so beautiful. I saw fireworks in huntington beach in July 4th. The fire works in summer sonic was 100 times better than that.

Day 2

My day was started to see wombats by seeiing TV screen. They sounded catchy and pop. I liked kill director song.
    I went to see silversun pickup in sonic stage. They sounded good. I was thinking to check Ting Tings, but I didn`t.
    MGMT was next. They seem popular in Japan,too. I liked weekends war and electric feel.

I caught one song by shoes in dance stage. They sounded danceable, and fun. After that I went to see late of the pier. They sounded more rock than I expected.

I saw hoosiers on TV screen. It looked fun live. I checked mutemath and the teenagers briefly.

I waited to seecrystal castles. I was looking forward to seeing them. Unfortunately, I did not like her voice. After a few songs, I went to see Junkie XL. It seems decent and more fun. I should have checked Biffy Clyro,too.

I was resting TV screen area, and seeing Kooks. I could have caught some old songs,like naive, but they mostly played new stuff.

After Kooks, I went to see boom boom satellites. They sounded good as always, rocking and dancing.

Back to sonic stage, there was super furry animals. The atmosphere was so peaceful and laid back. I caught Juxtaposed with U, my favourite. I did quick galnce with new young pony club in dance stage, and I headed to justice in mountain stage. Their set list was same as coachella. Short guy looked different than before, he looked more sophisticated and fashionable, I guess his hair cut.

After Justice, I went to see spiritualized in sonic stage. It was full band set this time, and no sound trouble. I like band set more than accoustic.

I was thinking to check DEVO in mountain, but since Justice played too long, they will appear late. I saw TV screen, there was Alicia Keys, so I decided to head to marine stage, that is another venue, I need to take shuttle, to see alicia. So, my night will be alicia keys and coldplay in marine stage. My other options were spiritualized and jesus and mary chain in sonic, or DEVO and fat boy slim in mountain stage, or Hadouken! in dance stage. Hadouken! seems fun, and I heard it was packed.

Alicia keys was great. She is so talented. It was also very entertaining live.

Then coldplay was last. It is meaningful to do headlining for coldplay for summer sonic. Summer sonic was started in 2000. Coldplay was there as new band, played in earlier time. Now, they were back to as headliner.

I don`t know much about their new stuff. I liked their old stuff more. The highlights were yellow and clocks with alicia keys. Chris Martin also played Japanese song by smap with piano. That was cute.

In encore, all members were out of stage, and they played scientist by accounstic in middle and side of the stage. Unfortunately, I could not see at all, so my tension was down. Overall, coldplaywas entertaining.

My favourite performance were cajun dance party, paolo nutini, verve, prodigy,super furry animals and spiritualized.

Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Summer sonic review

FUMFUM! <3

Summer sonic sounds like a really good time with a lot of diversity in the lineup. I can't believe The Verve never played Japan before, that's crazy! Their set at Coachella was great. Did they play the new song "Love Is Noise"? I really liked that one.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Young blood

Hi fum fum <3!

Thanks for the awesome review. Like boourns said, Its crazy the verve has never played in Japan before. You made the right choice seeing them and the prodigy. This festival sounds awesome. I will make it out there next year, I just have too. I hope cajun dance party does a US tour soon.

So wait... The Sex Pistols and The Prodigy conflicted? That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The Prodigy dude... there is no such thing as a conflict against them*
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Upcoming Shows:

Boourns, verve palyed love is noise song in the end. I think verve was supposed to come in Japan 10 years ago, however, they broke up before it would happen.

I am glad that I saw prodigy,too. I saw them in airport by coincidence a few years ago. Keith was nicest English gentleman I have ever seen. That was so cool.

Cajun dance party said that it was first time for them to play outside of Europe. I always wonder that UK music comes Japan first, then US.

Thanks for fire works pic, paulb.

Coachella Junkie

you would never expect the words "Keith" and "gentlement" to be related to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    you would never expect the words "Keith" and "gentlement" to be related to each other.
    exactly...
    Upcoming Shows:

That is true, but Keith was so nice. He stood out because of his hair style. I said, " hi, Keith", and he gave me sweet smile, and greeted me saying, please to meet you and gabe me hand shake. I was so shocked.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

fumfum did you go to Fuji Rock as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

No, I didn`t go to Fuji rock.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    The Prodigy dude... there is no such thing as a conflict against them*
    Unless its against Metallica and the Beastie Boys...

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    Unless its against Metallica and the Beastie Boys...
    This is Lollapalooza 2009.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    This is Lollapalooza 2009.
    add Janes Addiction.