Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: www.coachellarecordings.com - Site Relaunched, and 2014 Wishing Well Live Now

Default www.coachellarecordings.com - Site Relaunched, and 2014 Wishing Well Live Now

Okay, so I finally set up a new rating system on my site, located here:

http://www.coachellarecordings.com

Basically, I set up a 1 to 10 star rating system for all the different unique performances on my site, which you can vote and rate yourself (note, you're rating each PERFORMANCE, not rating each actual source listed)...so if Tool in 2006 was one of your favorite performances you've seen at Coachella, feel free to rank that 8 stars, or 9 stars, or 10 stars....I have it set up so it the page will average out all the different rankings for that particular performance and then display the average total ranking, so people can get an idea of what fans consider to be the best of the best when it comes to coachella performances (at least that is the idea here).

Some may think, well people can just keep voting and voting and skew the results...true....but I don't have the time or energy to create a user login system on the site and log one vote per user per performance...so if someone wants to be a loser like that and "cheat" by voting one performance 10 stars multiple times, then so be it (someone could "cheat" under a user system too, by just signing up new names and emails continuously).

Also, some may say well you don't have all the performances listed, only ones that just so happen to have a recording attached to it...true, but I'm working on that, by adding a "non-recorded" section to the site, so if someone wanted to view or rank the EITS set from 2007 (which doesn't have a known recording) they can.

Anyway, eventually, after enough votes have been placed across the whole site, I'll set up a page to display the top 25 or so ranked performances of all time (based on some sort of equation)....so if you read this, and have gone to coachella (which means almost all the users on here), then feel free to start placing your votes/ranks

If you come across any bugs, errors, or have suggestions, please just post here.

Default Re: Rate the performances

Okay, sorry to everyone who decided to have voted so far and rank their favorite performances, but there was a bug in my code/system that was fucking up the results, so I spent all night tonight fixing it and I had to reset my database, so all your votes are gone now and this will be starting from scratch again starting now.

Sorry, but the problem seems to be fixed now. It was entering all the votes users were making into the database twice sometimes three times in a row, instead of just one, so it was skewing all the numbers and giving false averages, something that isn't really mathematically correct and whatever.

Anyway, again I fixed it and tested it a lot, and it seems to work, so feel free to start ranking away again. Eventually when enough of you vote, a page will go up ranking the top 25 or so based on some formula similar to the Bayesian estimate. So please, rank away, and tell your friends to do the same.

When I attempt to vote for Sigur Ros and Bjork, I get 404 error messages.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    When I attempt to vote for Sigur Ros and Bjork, I get 404 error messages.
    if that was Sigur Ros 2006 and Bjork 2007, then the only error made was by you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Yeah, because there are so many ways to click on a star and only one is correct.

So when hovering the mouse over the appropriate star, it says "9 star out of 5", and clicking brings up this: http://www.ebombfilms.com/404.htm

But when I go back to the page and reload, the vote is apparently registered.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I just voted 10 for Goldfrapp (twice). No problems.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yeah, because there are so many ways to click on a star and only one is correct.

So when hovering the mouse over the appropriate star, it says "9 star out of 5", and clicking brings up this: http://www.ebombfilms.com/404.htm

But when I go back to the page and reload, the vote is apparently registered.
    Was it the 2007 Bjork and 2006 Sigur Ros that you got the 404 page? I'll look into it and see what the problem is. I know when I was testing I got errors on the G. Love & Special Sauce performance, but that was because there was an "&" symbol being used in the bands name and that was screwing with the url, so I changed it to "and" and it seems to be okay. It might be that Bjork and Sigur Ros have those special characters in their names and that is messing it up....I'll look into and if so, I'll get rid of those characters.

And I fixed that "9 out of 5" stars thing....dont know how I missed that, but that shouldn't of been messing with the code/process stuff as it was only a title, but it's fixed nonetheless.

Haven't any other problems besides that though? No double/triple votes?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I just voted 10 for Goldfrapp (twice). No problems.
    You mean you voted for her twice (shame on you) or you voted once and the system logged in 2 votes for you? (which means there is a bug)

Memorial_07

I like what you did.
    Good job

Memorial_07

oh, and when I went to Prince there a picture of his symbol and the setlist on the side and it says there on disc...where can I find it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    I like what you did.
    Good job
    Thanks. Glad that you like it. I'm happy to provide some sort of Coachella info/museum site to people.

And Boourns (and anyone else) I think the 404 problem was because those bands had special characters in their name, so I took them out. With the rating code I have, I can't have "&" or any other special character in a name, because the browsers don't know how to fully understand what they are in the url field (which is why you see stuff like 20% 1%0)...so I can't have "Björk" but I can have "Bjork" and I can't have "Ted Leo & the Pharmacists" but I can have "Ted Leo and the Pharmacists" and so on. It should all be fixed now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    oh, and when I went to Prince there a picture of his symbol and the setlist on the side and it says there on disc...where can I find it?!
    That was the artwork that was made for the Prince recording that surfaced (from sin213). I put the artwork on the site so in case anyone had the recording but never grabbed the artwork, they could. As far as the recording goes, I'm sure people around here have it.

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    That was the artwork that was made for the Prince recording that surfaced (from sin213). I put the artwork on the site so in case anyone had the recording but never grabbed the artwork, they could. As far as the recording goes, I'm sure people around here have it.
    The recordings aren't on the site are they?

Was it the 2007 Bjork and 2006 Sigur Ros that you got the 404 page? I'll look into it and see what the problem is. I know when I was testing I got errors on the G. Love & Special Sauce performance, but that was because there was an "&" symbol being used in the bands name and that was screwing with the url, so I changed it to "and" and it seems to be okay. It might be that Bjork and Sigur Ros have those special characters in their names and that is messing it up....I'll look into and if so, I'll get rid of those characters.

And I fixed that "9 out of 5" stars thing....dont know how I missed that, but that shouldn't of been messing with the code/process stuff as it was only a title, but it's fixed nonetheless.

Haven't any other problems besides that though? No double/triple votes?
    Yeah, those.

Rating performances is a very nice touch.

I think someone who most likely didn't see Gogol Bordello in 07 gave them a purposefully low rating to drag down their score.

EDIT: Also, I want to vote for Roky Erickson in 07 and Im From Barcelona in 08... but neither of them are options to vote for.
    Last edited by rage patton; 08-12-2008 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I think someone who most likely didn't see Gogol Bordello in 07 gave them a purposefully low rating to drag down their score.
    Well I don't have resources/energy to create a user login system to store votes (it's a lot of work), so anyone is open to vote for any performance at any time....I would just hope there are good people out there who will rate once with their honest opinion and then move on....but I'm sure people will do really low rates on purpose (such as on Jack Johnson)...nothing I can do about that.

EDIT: Also, I want to vote for Roky Erickson in 07 and Im From Barcelona in 08... but neither of them are options to vote for.
    I'm working on that...soon the "non-recorded" section will be full of lists of performers as well that you can vote on.

and as for people purposely giving some performances low ratings....that's why the page listing the top 25 or so performances won't list performances based on total # of stars / total # of users, but instead use some formula to give it a weighted average or maybe taking a select number of random votes and giving it a score off that. It's more fair that way.

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post

Or because they didn't like them, which is hard to imagine.

I gave MMJ a low score and it significantly brought them down, but it was because I really didn't like them

Hey Menik you think you could help me out and maybe give some links for those recordings please?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

There are no links unless you go search torrent sites or someone ups somthing onto megaupload or something.

You mean you voted for her twice (shame on you) or you voted once and the system logged in 2 votes for you? (which means there is a bug)
    No bug. I voted twice. She was that good.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

and as for people purposely giving some performances low ratings....that's why the page listing the top 25 or so performances won't list performances based on total # of stars / total # of users, but instead use some formula to give it a weighted average or maybe taking a select number of random votes and giving it a score off that. It's more fair that way.
    Ok cool, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you for putting so much thought and effort into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

No prob. For those interested, I've added all the bands who weren't recorded for the years 2008, 2007, and 2006 (minus the Do Lab/Dome - which I will still do soon). So you can go rate all the different performances there now from the DJs in the Sahara, to the smaller acts in the Gobi. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get at least the years 2005 and 2004 updated with more bands. Keep a look out.

Also if anyone has any setlist info for any the performances listed, don't be shy to let me know.

Ok, all the 'non-recorded' bands have been added for every year now (so essentially every performance that has taken place at Coachella is now listed)...whew, that was a lot of work.

Okay well I put a Top 25 page on my site now. It ranks, through all the votes you guys have made, the top 25 based on a weighted average (so it gives a more accurate average when comparing all the performances together). Obviously, this page will change once a lot of votes have come in (talking 100, 200+ votes for each), but for now it just kinda gives a small example of what people think are the best rated performances based on the small number of votes so far. A little surprised at who's on top, but not really.

To the person deciding to vote 8 times for each performance he/she saw (in hopes of getting it in the top 25?), it's cute, but can you please only vote once? What's the point of voting 8 times? I mean really? Once is good enough.

I voted my heart out. very impressive site.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    I voted my heart out. very impressive site.
    For Kim Deal and co. I hope

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

I would give almost anything to be able to go to Coachella 2004...