Page 1 of 26 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: For those about to bike, I salute you.

Default For those about to bike, I salute you.

Thought I might start a place for the bike riders. Following are pictures from my solo ride today, but all bike lovers are welcome.

I originally went to Whiting Ranch this morning, but some crazy homeless guy tried to pet some baby mountain lions. Momma wasn't too keen on that and slashed him, thus the park was closed. So I headed over to Aliso Viejo and these are some pix from my ride. It's days like today that make me realize for sure that SoCal is a fucking desert. But I had fun.

Last edited by algunz; 08-06-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: For those about to bike, I salute you.

what kind of bike do you have Algunz?
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

have you ever considered doing the ragbrai? biking across iowa? a bunch of people from work do it and i am considering trying it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    what kind of bike do you have Algunz?
    I've got a '98 Mrazek. I love her, but on trails like the ones above I would definitely be interested in some back suspension. My ass is a bit tired.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    have you ever considered doing the ragbrai? biking across iowa? a bunch of people from work do it and i am considering trying it next year.
    I say go for it, but I've never heard of it.

well i work in construction and most of the folk are from iowa, they do this big bike ride every year across iowa, big drunken, corn eating, hanging with the bosses ride. and those boys in iowa can party. so i am thinking about training now just to be able to hold my own.

i have a Trek 7.3 FX. I was going to get a mountain bike as i have always had one since the 80's but I knew i would not be bouncing around on trails(gnarly rheutism(sp) in left shoulder so I opted for speed. I love my bike!
    my buddy Pam bought a Trek Soho and left it at my house and told me not to ride it. I'm gonna ride it tomorrow. it's a beaut!! someone has to give it love and it might as well be me.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

that's great Chica!! do it. I love being on a bike.I spent a whole summer on my bike.never once drove my car except once a week around the block a few times.

yeah i need to find something new to occupy my mind and i figured that could do the trick.

I'd be a happy person if I never had to drive a car. Cars scare the shit out of me - in them and near them.

I have to drive to Costa Mesa this saturday for a show and i am dreading it.
    maybe I will take the train or something.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    So I headed over to Aliso Viejo and these are some pix from my ride. It's days like today that make me realize for sure that SoCal is a fucking desert. But I had fun.
    Do you ever go on any trails around Laguna Niguel? There's a trail behind our condo which looks over San Juan Capistrano, and Mission Viejo. You can see for miles. It's pretty cool.
    Upcoming shows:

im going for a ride this weekend so's i can post some pics.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm a casual rider. i love to ride easy trails, but i don't ever attempt anything that requires a real mountain bike. my friend gordon is a freaking badass. he had almost a dozen bikes at one point. he has a really badass recumbent. he rode it from phoenix to san diego and back for 3 weeks in may/june and just camped on the side of the road. now he rides a mountain bike with a motor attached and that's how he gets to and from work. freaking crazy.

i bought an old schwinn off him that i love. i haven't gotten to ride it since i've bought it as i haven't bought a lock yet. here's me and my bike:

we generally just go to different parts of the valley and ride the trails. about twice a year though, we try to hit up the bike paths in flagstaff. those are fun. one of my greatest joys about bike riding is stopping somewhere to toke in public. i don't know why, but smoking outdoors is one of my "fuck you's" to the man, lol.

flagstaff:

lastly, i hope you all wear helmets:

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

awesoome schwinn. and that freaking trial looks fake. like it would be a painting or something. id love to ride that and just chill.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    awesoome schwinn. and that freaking trial looks fake. like it would be a painting or something. id love to ride that and just chill.
    you mean trail? it is awesome. very relaxing

i don't know if this will work, but here's some video of me riding at the end of that trail like a dork, lol:

video

yeah, i meant trail. im just extremely tired today.

I have a Trek 820. The husband has a Haro...somethingorother. Yay bikes.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Ivy, that Schwinn is dope! I had one when I was younger, but someone jacked it from my garage. Thing was covered in band stickers and others I gathered riding around the area. I've often thought about buying another one, since it is about a bikeride for me to go to work. I've always wanted to do the Cali bike ride where they ride from below San Diego up to the Eureka area.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    I have a Trek 820. The husband has a Haro...somethingorother. Yay bikes.
    i used to have Haro sport. 20" flatland/freestyle bike. mother was heavy, but pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'm a casual rider. i love to ride easy trails, but i don't ever attempt anything that requires a real mountain bike.

about twice a year though, we try to hit up the bike paths in flagstaff. those are fun. one of my greatest joys about bike riding is stopping somewhere to toke in public. i don't know why, but smoking outdoors is one of my "fuck you's" to the man, lol.

lastly, i hope you all wear helmets:

Too bad you don't like "real" trails because there are some great mountain biking rides in Flagstaff. Also, you should check out the Fat Tire Festival that they hold in Flagstaff. I've never been, but I understand that the Arizona one and the SF one are really fun.

Yes, bikes and tokes are ALWAYS a perfect combination.

And lastly, I wear a helmet while on the trail, but I'll admit I don't wear one when I'm just cruising around town. I probably should, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    Ivy, that Schwinn is dope! I had one when I was younger, but someone jacked it from my garage. Thing was covered in band stickers and others I gathered riding around the area. I've often thought about buying another one, since it is about a bikeride for me to go to work. I've always wanted to do the Cali bike ride where they ride from below San Diego up to the Eureka area.
    thank you! i freaking love the bike!!! i looked up the serial number and it's from the chicago factory and turns out it's from june of 1974. i want to see if i can get some of the paint detail touched up and fix some of the rusting. i want to get white-wall tires for it too; however schwinns have an odd tire size so that will take some digging.

and bike thiefs should go to the depths of hell. though i LOVE that song bike thief by freezepop. so adorable

i dont wear a helmet, but im thinking of getting one. smoking while riding totally ruins my ride. i either dont wanna ride anymore, or i just ride my high out which to me feels pointless. overall it sucks cause most of the people i ride with wanna smoke and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Do you ever go on any trails around Laguna Niguel? There's a trail behind our condo which looks over San Juan Capistrano, and Mission Viejo. You can see for miles. It's pretty cool.
    I've kind of been all over the place. The only ride that I can recall in that general area though is the San Juan trail - near that little candy shop off the Ortega Hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    thank you! i freaking love the bike!!! i looked up the serial number and it's from the chicago factory and turns out it's from june of 1974. i want to see if i can get some of the paint detail touched up and fix some of the rusting. i want to get white-wall tires for it too; however schwinns have an odd tire size so that will take some digging.

and bike thiefs should go to the depths of hell. though i LOVE that song bike thief by freezepop. so adorable
    The one I restored was a 1979 (not the stolen one) and I had it painted black cherry (emphasis on black with cherry micro-flake--had a friend whose cousin restored Impalas do it) and managed to sell that one for 5 bills. I spent maybe 150 to restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Too bad you don't like "real" trails because there are some great mountain biking rides in Flagstaff. Also, you should check out the Fat Tire Festival that they hold in Flagstaff. I've never been, but I understand that the Arizona one and the SF one are really fun.

Yes, bikes and tokes are ALWAYS a perfect combination.

And lastly, I wear a helmet while on the trail, but I'll admit I don't wear one when I'm just cruising around town. I probably should, but I don't.
    i think i'm too afraid of getting hurt. i'd love to check out the fat tire festival! and get a helmet!!!!!!

I recently "dusted off" my old road bike. Need to get back in some semblance of shape. I used to race in late highschool, and college. I've very proud of my bike, because they no longer make them. Plus, it was never a high end bike. I made some modifications to it, but other than that, it's was pretty basic. I think I paid about $300 for it new. I loved it when I would pass some douche riding a fancy cannondale, or a specialized. It is a Peugeot, from about 1985.

Peugeots are great bikes. My husband is really into road biking. I'm just to scared of the cars and the speed.

We had a friend the other day who was on the road and some lady in Corona del Mar just swung her door open into him. If he'd hit the door head on he'd probably have fared better. Unfortunately the side of the door caught him on the arm sliced open his forearm and threw him from his bike. That sucked. Another friend got hit by a car being driven by an old lady that was in the midst of a stroke. He's lucky to be alive. I got tons of those road horror stories. Seems like once a month a friend meets pavement, thus I like to stick to the dirt or my beach cruiser.

IVE BEEN HIT AND ALMOST HIT MANY TIMES. oops. sorry. even by parked cars. hahahha. one of the last times i got hit, it was in a parking lot. wish i would have went to the hospital or something cause my hip hurt for several months after. i couldnt walk right for at least 2-3 weeks. stupid 20 yr olds.

one of my most hilarious memories of my ex boyfriend that i used to live with involves the time he got hit by a car on a bike. he had taken my bike to ride down the street for something. when he came back, he sat down, we smoked a bowl, talked, watched tv... and like an hour or two after he got home he just kinda casually says "i got hit by a car on the way home".

WHAT?! you got hit by a CAR and that wasn't the first thing you say as you walk through the door?! it wasn't a big deal, everything was fine of course. but i thought it was hilarious he forgot about it, lol. if i got hit by a car, that would be all i could talk about!!!

thankfully no major bike injuries here *knock on wood*.