Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: For those about to bike, I salute you.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: For those about to bike, I salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    In terms of using a slide-off: I'm pretty lazy and often forgetful.
    getting enough bike lights stolen will fix that.

Kory, that's an awesome idea.

Gunz, sorry I don't have any genius suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    getting enough bike lights stolen will fix that.
    Agreed. Bike lights are expensive. Get some that you can remove.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Cars are Coffins.

Anywho, maybe you all can help. Any gift ideas for a bike enthusiast who it seems has almost everything?
    Cool headset caps, and they also make them with beer caps now. Tubes are always appreciated, a pair of Zipp wheels!, a cool jersey, if it's MTB a pair of Fox Commando shorts, if it's road some aerobars (if they're into Tris), a cool bike rack, panniers if they do the distance thing, new pedals, new shoes, etc. Also a cat eye or other computer if they don't have it.

Here's the headset cap: http://store.ninerbikes.com/Componen...D-Top-Cap-Item
    Last edited by insbordnat; 12-15-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Any gift ideas for a bike enthusiast who it seems has almost everything?
    Well, this is timely:

A Gift Guide for the Avid Cyclist

So, my bicycle was stolen yesterday. On Christmas. I was really pissed off. And then really sad. But now I'm trying to think of it as a good opportunity to reevaluate my needs and get something that better suits my use.

I'd like to buy a replacement bike that is essentially a commuter bike -- something that I can ride to work and around town in regular work clothing, carrying things like work files and groceries. It does not need to be built for speed. It does not need to have a ton of gears. It does need to be comfortable. I would also like it to be attractive and under $1000.

I'm leaning towards perhaps a Linus or Public Bikes. Does anyone have any experience with commuter bikes, and/or suggestions?

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Does anyone have any good online resources for a good way to size your new bike?
    I got my sweetie one for the xmas and we need to size the handlebars and seat to the proper height.
    Thanks!
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

This weekend in Sedona... it was a looooong way down if they'd slipped. All any of us down below could say was OH. SHIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    So, my bicycle was stolen yesterday. On Christmas. I was really pissed off. And then really sad. But now I'm trying to think of it as a good opportunity to reevaluate my needs and get something that better suits my use.

I'd like to buy a replacement bike that is essentially a commuter bike -- something that I can ride to work and around town in regular work clothing, carrying things like work files and groceries. It does not need to be built for speed. It does not need to have a ton of gears. It does need to be comfortable. I would also like it to be attractive and under $1000.

I'm leaning towards perhaps a Linus or Public Bikes. Does anyone have any experience with commuter bikes, and/or suggestions?
    First off I have to say I feel a significant amount of rage towards whatever iced out degenerate nipped your ride. That shit ain't right.

I am impressed with your chosen attitude towards the situation and would love to offer a few suggestions on a proper commuter. You've already identified what you need out of a bike so that really makes it easy to find the perfect bike if you're not in a huge hurry. I tried a few different types of bikes and found for short commutes (less than 3 miles) in a mixed urban environment nothing beats a properly modified lightweight mountain bike.

Some of the keys aspects are:

Properly fit bike - don't be afraid to go browse at the high end bike shop and get fitted for two or three brands. Take note of the frame size which will usually be in cm or in. Any bike sold in S/M/L frame instead of precise measurements will be hard to properly adjust unless you have a cookie cutter size and physique.

Light weight frame - after a properly fitted bike, the next most important aspect for me is light weight. When a bike fits well and isn't weighted down, it takes the feel, comfort, and performance of that bike from beat up cab level right to fine german compensation levels. When I feel in control of a bike, I can ride forever. When it feels sketchy, I drive instead.

Tires - These are my favorite commuter tires. They allow for traction when the street ends, but most of all they reduce resistance when the asphalt opens up. When I put them on my current commuter bike, they added 4 mph to my cruising speed over the off road raptors I use for trails.

Upgrade components - They next things I can not live without in city commutes are proper brakes. They give me that feeling that as long as I can see what that cell phone talking soccer mom is about to do, I can avoid her attempt to end my life. I prefer hydraulic discs like the juicy 5's. If I stop too fast with these, my sunglasses fly off my face. This impresses me.

After that it's about comfort and function. A good seat, functional storage, pretty lights, and a 10,000 volt emmiting tamper proof bike lock. If you can find a decent used bike that fits you, you can probaly have the upgrades installed and adjusted by a professional and be well under your budget.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Here's a pretty good video for both Courtney and Handbanana.

and for fitting a bike at home

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post

This weekend in Sedona... it was a looooong way down if they'd slipped. All any of us down below could say was OH. SHIT.

It was such a beautiful day, but I have to admit I really don't like this trail.

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    First off I have to say I feel a significant amount of rage towards whatever iced out degenerate nipped your ride. That shit ain't right.

I am impressed with your chosen attitude towards the situation and would love to offer a few suggestions on a proper commuter. You've already identified what you need out of a bike so that really makes it easy to find the perfect bike if you're not in a huge hurry. I tried a few different types of bikes and found for short commutes (less than 3 miles) in a mixed urban environment nothing beats a properly modified lightweight mountain bike.

Some of the keys aspects are:

Properly fit bike - don't be afraid to go browse at the high end bike shop and get fitted for two or three brands. Take note of the frame size which will usually be in cm or in. Any bike sold in S/M/L frame instead of precise measurements will be hard to properly adjust unless you have a cookie cutter size and physique.

Light weight frame - after a properly fitted bike, the next most important aspect for me is light weight. When a bike fits well and isn't weighted down, it takes the feel, comfort, and performance of that bike from beat up cab level right to fine german compensation levels. When I feel in control of a bike, I can ride forever. When it feels sketchy, I drive instead.

Tires - These are my favorite commuter tires. They allow for traction when the street ends, but most of all they reduce resistance when the asphalt opens up. When I put them on my current commuter bike, they added 4 mph to my cruising speed over the off road raptors I use for trails.

Upgrade components - They next things I can not live without in city commutes are proper brakes. They give me that feeling that as long as I can see what that cell phone talking soccer mom is about to do, I can avoid her attempt to end my life. I prefer hydraulic discs like the juicy 5's. If I stop too fast with these, my sunglasses fly off my face. This impresses me.

After that it's about comfort and function. A good seat, functional storage, pretty lights, and a 10,000 volt emmiting tamper proof bike lock. If you can find a decent used bike that fits you, you can probaly have the upgrades installed and adjusted by a professional and be well under your budget.
    Thank you Kory! This is excellent info.

However, I actually have a very happy update: I found my bike!! It was ditched behind some bushes. The thieves took the front tire off, but it was otherwise in tact. So I went and bought a new tire, and now I'm back in business. Hurrah!

That's great news.

That's great you got your bike back and rolling...

Been riding to the farmers market on bike, it's been a blast. Can't wait to hit it up this saturday...

Happy day Courtney! I'm confused about the stealing the tire thing, but whatever, still great news.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

So i'm finally in the market for a bike and i've never purchased one before. It seems you already gave some very useful advice that I will take. My needs seem to be similiar to Courtney though my environment might be a little more urban. My commute is short and will be on the street. I plan on using it daily. My commute will be about 1.5 miles each way so at least 3 miles a day and sometimes closer to 5. Then I would also use it for more leisure activity on the weekends.

I'm a bigger fella. I'm 5'7 about 270. Is there a certain type or style that might be more comfortable? Do bikes have a weight limit?

My daily bike use would be on a road with moderate to heavy traffic. A basket might even be handy for carting around cargo but necessarily a requirement. I'm trying to keep costs down but i'm obviously i'm going to be heavily using this so reliablity and something that lasts are more important than price. Finally what accessories would say are a must have when getting started. Bike, helmet, water bottle and lock? I literally know nothing so whoever has advice talk to me like i'm 12 years old or so.

Thank you bikers in advance for your help. All comments and advice are welcome.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Just bought this off Craigslist for 325 this morning. I have it in the shop getting a free tune-up. Looking forward to giving it a trail run for an hour or so on Tuesday when I get it back. It's been a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Any suggestions on getting a rear bike rack for my car? I'd like one with 3 or 4 spots available on it but some reviews I have read say that the 4 holder really holds 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

This Thule rack has been great & you can get an extension to add 2 more bikes.

I began bike commuting today. Gas is just too much.
    I have a 7-speed Schwinn Jaguar cruiser and it's 10 miles each way, 90% on sidewalks cause I don't trust the drivers down here.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

That's great Nate. Be careful with the sidewalk though. They'll give you a ticket.

3 cops drove by me this morning and didn't do anything. And I was the only bicyclist or pedestrian I saw. Many people ride on the sidewalk down here cause the roads are so dangerous. The cops know that and let it slide.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

That's cool. Cops in Newport are not so forgiving.

A thread about biking how awesome. This summer will mark 2 years that I will be car and gasoline free. It all started in San Francisco for me and now in LA I continue to commute on bike and public transportation. There are days I miss having a car like when I gotta get to work on a mean ass hangover or when it's raining. But then I think about the few thousand dollars I have saved from not buying gas, car repair, insurance, and I get a smile on my face.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

I'd still rather be on the polo fields, but this worked as a reasonable replacement. It was a beautiful day on the trail.

As soon as this cold is over, my hybrid is going to be the main form of transportation.

old school

I think the Five Boroughs ride is in just over two weeks. Any folks going to be there?