Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: For those about to bike, I salute you.

Default Re: For those about to bike, I salute you.

Nothing is sacred, nothing!!!

Thursday, May 20, 2010
    Confession, character and Floyd Landis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Shaun Assael
    ESPN The Magazine

Thank you, Floyd Landis. No, not for the confession that rippled around the world today, which will bring us years of new rocks to turn over and books to write and jobs to keep.

Well, OK, yeah; thanks for that.

But more importantly, thanks for reminding us that we can still be interested in doping cases, because being blasé was getting kind of boring. What's so fascinating about this confession isn't that Landis admits using testosterone patches, EPO and other banned drugs over the course of a decade. It's how he arrived at the moment of lonely desperation when, with his back against the wall, he became ready to scorch the earth.

Landis seems to belong to that clinical breed of sociopath who doesn't feel guilt and whose vast reservoir of competitive willpower let him keep lying through a long and remarkable public relations campaign to clear his name. For those who have forgotten, he went on a tear after testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone at the 2006 Tour de France, accusing the drug testers who nabbed him of being corrupt, taking on an entire system that is built on the premise that athletes who test positive are guilty unless they can prove otherwise. He wrapped himself in the U.S. Constitution and the American flag, claiming to be fighting for all "falsely accused" athletes. (As it turns out, his beef is that they were pursuing him for the wrong thing; he still insists he wasn't taking testosterone but was hopped up on HGH.)

There were seeds of honor in that fight, and Landis cannily exploited a boy-next-door image to use them for his own purposes. Since the episode came on the heels of another say-it-ain't-so cycling story -- anyone remember Tyler Hamilton? -- American race fans genuinely ached to believe Floyd. In February 2007, an MSNBC poll of 35,000 people found that 68 percent thought he was "totally innocent of doping."

But then a hearing panel found the aw-shucks cyclist from Farmersville, Pa., guilty of doping, his myriad appeals failed, and we became less interested in him. There were bigger icons whose falls seemed more interesting: Marion Jones, who was sentenced to a six-month prison term in 2008, and -- God bless him -- Roger Clemens, who just couldn't shut up.

Floyd struggled for relevance. He made a cameo appearance in the movie "Bigger Stronger, Faster," maintaining his victim's pose. (Its director, Chris Bell, e-mailed me this morning to say, "He lied right to my face.") He signed on as an advisor to a merry band of cycling pirates known as Rock Racing. When his doping ban ended, he tried to race in the 2009 Tour of California and finished 23rd among a field of 84. This year, his third-rate team couldn't even make it into the race.

It's tempting to imagine the 34-year-old Landis sitting at home on Wednesday, watching Dave Zabriskie take Stage 4 of the race in Modesto for the Garmin-Transitions team and thinking "Gotcha." After all, his e-mails to cycling and anti-doping officials finger Zabriskie, a former teammate whom he claims he showed how to use EPO before one Tour of California.

Landis has all but admitted watching the calendar, counting down the days until the World Anti-Doping Agency's eight-year statute of limitations on drug crimes expires.

"If I don't say something now, then it's pointless to ever say it," he told ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford.

In other words, if he can't be racing, then no one should.

And so the dam finally broke. The most interesting thing about doping cases is never the crime itself. It's the gory details, the police procedural part about how they unravel. In the BALCO scandal, the thread was pulled by a jealous track coach, Trevor Graham, who'd been cut out of getting the best new drugs. Marion Jones ended up in jail because she lied to federal agents about how her heroin-dealing ex-boyfriend, Tim Montgomery, cashed millions of dollars in stolen or forged checks.

In a meeting with the media in California on Thursday, Lance Armstrong suggested that Landis might have been aiming to use the e-mails to blackmail his way back into racing. Maybe. Or maybe Landis just had enough of being the fall guy, which, while not the most original motivation, is just fine for the foreseeable future's worth of headlines.

Another of his e-mails accuses Armstrong of helping him use steroid patches, blood doping and human growth hormone.

"He and I had lengthy discussions about it on our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the inconvenience of the new test," Landis wrote in an e-mail to Stephen Johnson, the head of USA Cycling.

But once we get past the voyeurism of a man at his breaking point, what's really left?

The real beauty of this admission -- and it's worth standing back and appreciating -- is that Landis is getting back at all his enemies in one fell swoop.

Look at it from the perspective of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which went after Landis hammer-and-tongs against strong headwinds. (At the time, I was one of those who accused it of overreaching in his case.) What is the agency supposed to do with hearsay testimony from a witness when they have a mountain of impeachment material on him?

Who's going to back him up?

And let's not forget: This is the same Landis who can't set foot in France because of an arrest warrant on behalf of a judge seeking to question him in an investigation of a murky plot to hack into the computers of the French lab that accused him of doping. At his hearing, Landis used e-mails from the lab to try to show that it mishandled his urine samples, sparking a nasty public fight.

You almost have to feel sorry for Pat McQuaid, the president of cycling's main international body, Union Cycliste Internationale, whose reaction to Wednesday's news was: "These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport. If they've any love for the sport, they wouldn't do it."

(It's worth contrasting that with the reaction USA Track & Field CEO Doug Logan had last month when his 400-meter star, LaShawn Merritt, was found to have tested positive for PEDs three times. "He brings shame to himself and his teammates," Logan said.)

Landis must love to see McQuaid twisting, just as he must love putting the USADA in such an untenable position. In his e-mails, he says the agency that was right about him all along is really toothless, and its anti-doping efforts are a "charade."

In other words, he's gone from saying it's too powerful and draconian to not serious enough.

How's that for a convenient conversion?

It's that credibility problem that will make Floyd Landis a lousy witness.

But isn't that what makes his coming out so brilliant? Floyd can tear down his rivals without really reforming anything. He says he wants to clear his conscience. That's the true sign of a sociopath.
    Last edited by algunz; 05-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I have a bike now and it's pretty awesome riding around the city. It's a cheap ass Walmart bike so it's nothing too great, and my fat ass actually bent the pole supporting the seat backwards a little bit so I had to ghetto rig it so the seat is totally backwards, but it actually made riding a little more comfortable.

Also, while it's probably the stupidest fucking thing you can do on a bike, riding around the streets at night while drunk and listening to headphones is incredible. I've got too many limbs anyway.
    which Walmart special did you get I got the Walmart single speed lasts week.
    I replaced the brakes with shimano sora, (had to drill the frame and fork to make them fit) replaced the handle bars with flat bars, put on some old MTB triple trap peddles and replaced the saddle with a brooks b.17 LOL the saddle cost more than the whole bike including upgrades. last but not least I added some glow in the dark bar end caps
    but it is fun to ride
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Damn, I need to work on a bike like that, I've been wanting a single speed road bike...

From walmart?! How much was it??

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

old school

hahaha yes!

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    From walmart?! How much was it??
    the bike is (on line only) 149.95 plus 2.75 shipping and handling
    the brakes 24.95 x 2 Highly recommended
    the handle bars 20.00
    the bar end caps 4.95 (glow in the dark)
    the peddles 32.00 (bought them in the 90's)
    the saddle 189.95
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    "Tiz No Fixie English" single speed. To many hills and I am too old for that sort of thing
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Nice, I might need to pick that up, it would be a nice project to jam around town on...

I saw a kid riding a fixie the other day. In an attempt to avoid hitting one of those people who stand on the street corner with ad signs, he had to slam into a curb where he subsequently flipped over and landed on his back. Luckily it was grass he landed on, but I and the ad guy couldn't help but laugh. He was ok and laughing too. It was quite a fall.

Fucking fixies!!!

1litro, you inspired me to get that single speed for a project bike, it's been a blast so far...

^^Nice^^
    I have to admit they are totally fun
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

1litro, could you recommend any decent biking trails in San Diego? I want to try some out. At the moment I'm mainly just using my bike to commute around the Downtown / College area, which isn't much fun. I know there's a trail that goes all the way from Hotel Circle to Ocean Beach - have you ever tried that? I also want to bike around Misson Bay / Coronado sometime.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/BikeMap.aspx
    the above link will give you a detailed map of the S.D. area you can also order a printed map for free I just got mine the other day
    yes I have ridden just about everywhere in S.D. If you head up the coast line from San Diego and hit the 101 you can ride for hundreds of miles no kidding and its very pretty
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

.. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Bikes for the masses
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

old school

I biked to my girlfriends school today in my spare just to give her subway

Went on a bike ride today, it was too nice to chill at home, even got Mr.Nipples to go on a bike ride too...

Quote Originally Posted by 1litro View Post
    which Walmart special did you get I got the Walmart single speed lasts week.
    Just caught this. I'm pretty sure it's called a Roadmaster. It's a mountain bike. Nothing special at all but I'm no bike geek, I just need something to ride and it does the trick without much complication. Although 3 weeks ago I was riding on the sidewalk (I don't care how much of a douchebag that makes me, there are times where riding in traffic just makes no fucking sense) and I hit some pipe that was sticking out of the ground with nothing to really mark it and completely wiped out. Slammed my chest into the handlebars and bruised a bone in my chest pretty bad (I finally am back to the point where sleeping, yawning, sighing, lifting, moving, and especially sneezing don't hurt like hell), scraped up my knee pretty bad, and bent my front tire. It still rides fine though, but when you walk it the front wheel kind of sticks. I'd like to make a few upgrades with the thing but it's pretty far down on my list of expenses right now. I fucking love riding around Chicago in the summer time though. Such a great city for biking.

HowToDisappear and I went around the bay today. She didn't want to be in the photo, her legs are to white

16 mile loop the killer is going back up clairemont drive
    Last edited by 1litro; 06-12-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: picture too big
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Just caught this. I'm pretty sure it's called a Roadmaster. It's a mountain bike. Nothing special at all but I'm no bike geek, I just need something to ride and it does the trick without much complication. Although 3 weeks ago I was riding on the sidewalk (I don't care how much of a douchebag that makes me, there are times where riding in traffic just makes no fucking sense) and I hit some pipe that was sticking out of the ground with nothing to really mark it and completely wiped out. Slammed my chest into the handlebars and bruised a bone in my chest pretty bad (I finally am back to the point where sleeping, yawning, sighing, lifting, moving, and especially sneezing don't hurt like hell), scraped up my knee pretty bad, and bent my front tire. It still rides fine though, but when you walk it the front wheel kind of sticks. I'd like to make a few upgrades with the thing but it's pretty far down on my list of expenses right now. I fucking love riding around Chicago in the summer time though. Such a great city for biking.
    sorry to here about your crash, my buddy got hit by a car on the P.C.H. last week he ok, and HowToDisappear scraped her knee today
    Last edited by 1litro; 06-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

My friend has jumps in his back yard and in a drunken stupor tonight he crashed and I'm pretty sure he broke his hand.

ouch that hurts
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Bob, an old friend of mine, got on my walmart special and we hit the bay again Bob and I did extend the loop to incude Birdrock

As it got dark we popped on our lights

You can always have a good time at night with bikes

.. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

That bike is such a blast, I put on a lot of miles on it and it rides solid...

Went riding yesterday to Music in the Park, my buddy and I were riding in the bike lane going to Downtown SJ, and this guy was riding a mountain bike smashing caught up to us on our bikes (he was riding against traffic on the sidewalk, dumbass...) and starts mean mugging. A car pulls out of a parking lot and almost takes out dude, he gets off his bike and starts yelling at the driver. Some people just look to start trouble, he should be happy he walked away from that...

Put some el wire on my bike, helps cars see the bike at night...

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    Some people just look to start trouble, he should be happy he walked away from that...
    I hate it when people are idiots and give the rest of us a bad name.