Thread: For those that keep returning.

Default For those that keep returning.

Is it really about the headliners for y'all?
    This is my third (ok i didn't even know it existed before 2005) and on my first visit i honestly came to see New Order and NIN I really didn't know much about any other bands but over 2 days I realized what I was missing out on. 2006 I bought my tix pre sale cuz I didn't care what the lineup was going to be and used the line up as a template of discovery and found some amazing bands and saw some incredible performances.
    For those that keep returning, does it really matter who headlines? I find im usually more excited for the lesser known names trying to prove themselves.
    "God got Wendys' period mixed up, every 28 days she starts acting nice...it lasts about a weekend."

Default Re: For those that keep returning.

If you don't consider Daft Punk as a headliner, the only glance I've had at a headliner was Depeche Mode for about 15 minutes.

This year, there's a chance I'll see Bjork and Rage, though. However, Rage would get bumped for Manu Chao and Bjork would get bumped for The Jesus and Mary Chain if they were to conflict. But I don't think either scenario will occur. Manu Chao and JAMC not playing on the main stage would be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

If the headliners are good, that's just gravy.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

the only year i really cared about the headliners was 04 just because the idea of seeing radiohead, the pixies, and kraftwerk all in one night was so amazing to me. and it was.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    the only year i really cared about the headliners was 04 just because the idea of seeing radiohead, the pixies, and kraftwerk all in one night was so amazing to me. and it was.
    understandbly so.
    "God got Wendys' period mixed up, every 28 days she starts acting nice...it lasts about a weekend."

The "smaller" acts are what make coachella...at least for me. I admit I do like the headliners most of the time but rarely get to see them.

Headliners don't matter at all for me, with the exception of Radiohead and Daft Punk. I've watched em, but they weren't usually the best show of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

ditto to bmack86...

i can't see any reason why i would ever miss a coachella again...
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

A wet, broken, cardboard box in New Yawk Shitty

one of the reasons I enjoy events like this is because it gives me a whole new list of artists to check out. some that i would not have listened to otherwise. the headliners are great, but it's usually so crowded and hard to get up close enough to see what's going on, so i like to go and check out other things.
    Without music life would be a mistake. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Your thermos would fit nice in my lunchbox....

Us on hard drugs? That would be horrible. We'd probably end up sounding like Bryan Adams. - Thom Yorke

It's best if the headliners are bands I like at least somewhat, because it saves me a lot of money not having to see them later during the tour. Coachella gave me my fill of Coldplay, NIN, Depeche Mode, and Tool. Of course, had Radiohead actually toured America that year, I would've been there again... Honestly, if you're paying almost a hundred dollars a day to get inside the festival, the cost of seeing all the bands you check out while at Coachella should exceed what it would have cost to see them all on their own, and headliners make that possible. There better be some great co-headlining acts (second/third/fourth billed or dance tent headliner) to compensate for a shitty headliner, like, oh say if The Killers ever headlined.

I either never had the opportunity or never had enough interest to see Bjork, RHCP, and Rage on their own, and I'll be doing just that at Coachella. Not my favorite acts, but I like them, and would check them out for sure, unless someone I liked better was playing at the same time. Of course, acts like Jarvis Cocker, Arcade Fire, JAMC, Decemberists, Blonde Redhead, etc are going to be the ones that really make the weekend amazing and give the best performances, but decent headliners are part of it all.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-05-2007 at 09:33 AM.

It's not just 'bout the headliners for me but the whole experiance in itself...the headliners make it that much more great...and all the music that I never new 'bout before the weekend that I leave knowing...musical personal growth...Embrace it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    It's not just 'bout the headliners for me but the whole experiance in itself...the headliners make it that much more great...and all the music that I never new 'bout before the weekend that I leave knowing...musical personal growth...Embrace it!!!
    Exactly. Learning about new music and liking some of these new bands is great, but the best is gaining a LOVE for a band you were either previously indifferent about or had never heard of before you downloaded their stuff to get prepared for Coachella, or just stumbled upon their live set.

I've watched the full sets of half the headliners in the past three years (Radiohead, Tool, Depeche Mode). It's all about the other bands, the churros, and all the other stuff going on in the festival. Getting a headliner like Rage is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Exactly. Learning about new music and liking some of these new bands is great, but the best is gaining a LOVE for a band you were either previously indifferent about or had never heard of before you downloaded their stuff to get prepared for Coachella, or just stumbled upon their live set.
    For sure...than again the experiance of interacting with total strangers and having that huge concert hug is one not to be forgotten either!!!