Young blood

Default Re: Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    ha. another girlfriend joke.
    earthquake burn.

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    I wish the news and LA would shut the fuck about this; pussies. No one is really hurt, no one is dead, no bridges collapsed, and only a little fire here and there.
    This guy.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

that shit was weak! anyone who experienced the one in 94 knows that a 5.4 or 5.8 whatever they're calling it really is just a lil shake, its gotta be at least a 6.5 to really start freakin out

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan5454 View Post
    that shit was weak! anyone who experienced the one in 94 knows that a 5.4 or 5.8 whatever they're calling it really is just a lil shake, its gotta be at least a 6.5 to really start freakin out
    I remember that quake. I use to have bunkbeds and i remember the top bed shaking and being scarred that it was going to fall on me.
    Looks like ill be taking my final tomorrow

I was in a high rise on the 11th floor makin' copieeeesss. building had rollers so the sway was a bit more exagerated...2nd one ive been through in that building...it was nothing compared to the northridge earthquake though. That one was nasty.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

yea that shit seriously felt weak to me. I was walking in my office and noticed the celing shake for maybe 3 seconds. it was nothing, didn't even feel the ground shake. my dad's office building right near me in Burbank was CLOSED after that. I couldn't believe it. I didn't get to take the day off for it. we all went outside and that was the end of that.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    yea that shit seriously felt weak to me. I was walking in my office and noticed the celing shake for maybe 3 seconds. it was nothing, didn't even feel the ground shake. my dad's office building right near me in Burbank was CLOSED after that. I couldn't believe it. I didn't get to take the day off for it. we all went outside and that was the end of that.
    everyone around me just kept working through it...although it did last a while and we were waiting for a big jolt to hit. I figured if the power went out then I'd start to worry. So long as the copy machine didnt mind the quake I didnt either.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Young blood

I want to buy you a hooker.

Quote Originally Posted by WastedTime View Post
    ...its just like that shitty shitty movie the day after tomorrow, but not like that at all.
    pretty much sums it up.

It wasn't in downtown La, and so the shock wouldn't travel through the mountain range(a deformity caused by the intersection between a very very very old sheet and the san andreas fault) north of la into burbank very well at all, I am surprised you did feel it. But down at the epicenter, it was enough to scare some people, and thats really what counts.

Earthquakes are all luck. What I really mean by that is that, nothing can be official in an earthquake of any size, there are infinite possibilities to consider, that death, transportation and fueling(food + oil mainly) issues don't necessarily take effect right away or even at all.

You should stick around California, for about 10 more years, if you want to feel the real strength of an earthquake again. The 1994 is a perfect example of a good shake, But the fact is there is enough core pressure down there for whatever the goddamned reason is that if 1/10 of its pressure were to blow out the San Andreas Fault, the Mississippi would run backwards for a couple of minutes. If all the pressure is released via the San Andreas, then you would get this "Island California" deal. California would be blasted like a fucking hockey puck into the pacific (well not that similiar but, a few hundred miles at least.)

But what you should all be worrying about is not earthquakes. MegaVolcanic activity in Yosemite, over last 2 years pressure activity has increased beyond the limit they understood was possible. We are due for an explosion no later than 2029. It will send the world into an Ice Age, this doesn't mean apocalypse, It just means things will change. A LOT. Everything has to move towards the equator to survive, its just like that shitty shitty movie the day after tomorrow, but not like that at all. It would not be that cold that you instantly freeze in New York.
    Shut up. What a spew of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    Let me know when you get that accomplished. We'll have to have a Coachella shoot 'em up competition or something. Winner gets a Spicy Pie slice or a cranberry-turkey wrap at Coachella '09.
    Sorry to throw a hitch in yer get-a-long, Hopeless, but if the BIG One should hit and has anything to do with San Andreas Fault Line...There won't....well, you know... be any Spicy Pie. Comprende'?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Possibly incoherent statements in there since im not quite all together, but its okay if you don't believe me, one day you will find out how wrong you are... This stuff was my life for a solid 4 1/2 years, and I still do engineering and repair for seismological systems on occasion, Where is your Jesus now?
    Planet X is gonna destroy us all ZOMG!!!!!!!!11!!

Not unless someone can come up with a piercing sound.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

But what you should all be worrying about is not earthquakes. MegaVolcanic activity in Yosemite, over last 2 years pressure activity has increased beyond the limit they understood was possible. We are due for an explosion no later than 2029. It will send the world into an Ice Age, this doesn't mean apocalypse, It just means things will change. A LOT. Everything has to move towards the equator to survive, its just like that shitty shitty movie the day after tomorrow, but not like that at all. It would not be that cold that you instantly freeze in New York.
    Are you sure you are not meaning to say "Yellowstone", or maybe "Mammoth"? As far as I know, the volcanos at "Yosemite" are long extinct, but Mammoth is likely to erupt within the next 50,000 years. Also, Yellowstone was a "super volcano" a long time ago and it's possible that it could erupt again, although it's thought that since North America has been moving over the hot spot, it could be farther west when it does erupt.

It wasn't in downtown La, and so the shock wouldn't travel through the mountain range(a deformity caused by the intersection between a very very very old sheet and the san andreas fault) north of la into burbank very well at all, I am surprised you did feel it. But down at the epicenter, it was enough to scare some people, and thats really what counts.

Earthquakes are all luck. What I really mean by that is that, nothing can be official in an earthquake of any size, there are infinite possibilities to consider, that death, transportation and fueling(food + oil mainly) issues don't necessarily take effect right away or even at all.

You should stick around California, for about 10 more years, if you want to feel the real strength of an earthquake again. The 1994 is a perfect example of a good shake, But the fact is there is enough core pressure down there for whatever the goddamned reason is that if 1/10 of its pressure were to blow out the San Andreas Fault, the Mississippi would run backwards for a couple of minutes. If all the pressure is released via the San Andreas, then you would get this "Island California" deal. California would be blasted like a fucking hockey puck into the pacific (well not that similiar but, a few hundred miles at least.)

OMG. You are sooo smart and cool!!!! Can I hang out with you????

.....Not really.

You barely even qualify as a geek. Everybody loves to say the a part of California is going to break off an fall into the ocean. Let me ask you this...WHERE THE FUCK IS IT GOING TO GO????
    Into some void? Is it going to break off and land under water? There is another plate there, and even in the event that the San Andreas had a massive slip, the likelihood that it would move more that a few inches (which is HUGE, by the way) is pretty slim. The theory that the west coast could possibly fall into the ocean and disappear forever or for that matter, become an island, is erroneous at best. It is all attached, Bright Guy. The Earth is not flat, I think we proved that many years ago.
    Last edited by Mockingbird73; 07-30-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbvwes View Post
    and maybe Radiohead would impress me if i had grew up on a farm... and i was retarded... but i didn't, so they don't...

Oh and PS-The San Andreas moves North/South. It is not actually the type of fault that is sliding under another. The worst you would see is that your drive to SF would become somewhat shorter.
    and maybe Radiohead would impress me if i had grew up on a farm... and i was retarded... but i didn't, so they don't...

on the contrary, the earth "is" flat. california is really an island mass that was pushed up against the united states. it was sold to us along with alaska. alaska is attached to a continental plate so it stayed where it is, california wasnt, so we towed it in. it used to be called californe-i-a. (thats where the "nick name" came from) now whos smart?

Thank you...great way to start my morning

Memorial_07

Everyone said they felt it And I happened to be in Upland at the time of the earthquake.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I want to see wasted's responses. I actually know somewhat what he's on about, but he's obviously more informed than I (or most of you) are.

He's the JPL guy, no?

Either way, I don't really want to know wht the future is for California earthquake wise...or maybe I do...

I hope we have a good shaker here in nor cal soon...it seems like we haven't felt one in forever...I had no idea you guys had one until this morning...I've been in the cuts for 5 day enjoying the northern coast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan5454 View Post
    i will never really get the richter scale. isn't it something like a 6.0 is 100 times stronger than a 5.0? that seems like a big difference in strength for only going up 1 point overall.

Bring on the 7's!!! 94 was a 6.7

To hell with the 7s lets see a 9 something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Loma Prieta 6.9...I remember that one being a lot bigger???

We had a 5.6 in Oregon back in 93 and it scared the piss out of me. Woke up to the house shaking and a heavy picture fell off the wall into my daughters crib, luckily she was in the habit of sleeping with me so she didnt get hurt. I can't imagine anything stronger, or even getting use to a quake and wanting it to be stronger.

I didn't feel yesterday's quake at all. I do remember the 94 quake though.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.