Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: mad men

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default Re: mad men

it's about time someone beat the shit out of pete.

also, monogamous don is boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Man, who woulda thought it would be Lane to do it.

Ep of the season so far. If i wasn't recovering from Coachella flu, I'd write more, but man was that good tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    So what shows am I supposed to watch?
    "The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time," "TMZ," "On Tour with Thrice." Y'know, the usual.

Speaking of thrice, that was the amount of times Pete got emasculated this week. First by the hunky high school student who caught the eye of the underage chick that Pete was attempting to woo, then by Don for not being supportive of the infidelity, and finally by Lane. The conversation about the gun at the dinner party and the mention of Charles Whitman seem ominous in light of the blows (both figurative and literal) that Pete received. Would Mad Men do a murder/suicide?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Originally from MA, now dancing hard in the DC area

Why is Pete such a creeper?! I believe his next purchase will be a windowless van.

I'm kinda surprised on Joann's decision and am hoping for something substantial to come from Greg/Sterling--really uncertain as to what's to come. Also, dream sequence Don was AWESOME!!!!! Fuck that bitch up! Have a feeling his repressed fury from the war might finally be surfacing in ways that might endanger Megan, but who really cares about her. Episodes are finally starting to open up character development.
    ^^Yes, Campbell is testing the waters too boldly which might end up screwing up his chances at career advancements. So excited for next week--I also don't have work Sunday! Yippee

Ok, got caught up with Sunday's ep. I think my favorite bit was after Lane kissed Joan and the way she handled it. I thought she would leave his office, but she did even better by opening the door and then accepting/dismissing Lane's apology by focusing on justifying Pete's asskicking. For a couple of wusses, I must say that it was one of the most gentlemanly bouts of fisticuffs I can recall.

My second favorite moment was Don Draper, Handyman Around The House, coming to the rescue in Trudy's kitchen. I did LOL, and then again later when Megan said she was turned on by that.

Though, really Don, don't kid yourself. If you had married Megan first, you would have ruined that relationship anyway.

Don't stop writing, Ken. Follow your passion. Hmm, and I just had another thought. If Roger found out from Pete that Ken was writing on the side, then pile another justification on for the ass kicking. But if we find out later that it was Don or Megan who told, even if it was by accident, I'm gonna be more than a little annoyed. I like Ken and Peggy's secret pact, too.

And I see that John Slattery directed this ep. While I felt the paceof the first half was a little slow, the second half was well done. And I liked the fades utilized in some scenes, like, at the end of the scene where Don and Megan were kissing in the car and the camera panned upwards and instead of it going to black it went into another scene. The Editor probably had some say in that, too, so kudos to them as well.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

hooray LSD

I spent 30 minutes being delighted at the prospect of Megan's demise.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    hooray LSD
    Kinda campy. Seemed like it was written by people who had never actually taken LSD or been around anyone who had.

A great episode of Mad Men . . . or the greatest?

That was seriously incredible stuff. Loved the structure. Loved that major parts of it were shot like an era-appropriate new wave film.

At the beginning of this season, I told O-bob I would be looking forward to the appearance of songs from Pet Sounds and Blonde on Blonde. Expectations exceeded.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Kinda campy. Seemed like it was written by people who had never actually taken LSD or been around anyone who had.
    I felt the same way, but overall I think it was a great episode - definitely the best of the season so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    A great episode of Mad Men . . . or the greatest?

That was seriously incredible stuff. Loved the structure. Loved that major parts of it were shot like an era-appropriate new wave film.

At the beginning of this season, I told O-bob I would be looking forward to the appearance of songs from Pet Sounds and Blonde on Blonde. Expectations exceeded.
    Agreed about the structure. Reminded me of Go (which I'm sure didn't originate it but is the first film that came to mind). Although I wouldn't say it was the greatest episode -- Don & Peggy hanging out in the office during the Muhammad Ali/Sonny Liston fight last season still holds that designation as far as I'm concerned.
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

I probably have it as number three -- subject to revision after watching it again -- behind "The Suitcase" (the one you just mentioned) and "The Jet Set" (another episode where the series went out of its normal aesthetic and narrative confines and rewarded us for the trip).

i think the LSD stuff was hit or miss. the conversation about divorce was spot on though. the shit with the cigarette and the chick crawling on the floor was stupid.

anyone else notice leery's lady friend was the mom from my so called life?

Hey everyone,
    This is my first time chiming in on this thread so bear with me as I might come off sounding like a dipshit.

The first movie that popped into my head when it became clear they were using a three story format was the Jim Jarmusch movie, Mystery Train. This makes me wonder how many independent films have gone the route of using three concurrent stories and tying them together because I'm sure it's more than just two. It's practically an indie film sub-genre at this point.

Also noticed a nice touch at the end of the episode. When Don and Megan collapse on the floor at the end of their argument, they use the same camera angle looking down on them that they used for Roger and Jane when they're discussing ending their marriage at the end of their acid trip.

Finally: the bit about Ginsberg revealing how he was born in a concentration camp. I thought about this being part of his backstory a few episodes ago when he became disgusted when everyone was handing around the crime scene photos of the murdered nurses. It seemed pretty random for him at the time and I was wondering how they were going to pay it off.

hooray LSD
    I need a dollar bill with Bert Cooper's face on it.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I need a dollar bill with Bert Cooper's face on it.
    blow is soooooo much better with one of those

Peggy drives me fucking crazy.

Also, I think Roger is doing Lincoln commercials now.

He is.

I've noticed him in those commercials much more recently, but I'm pretty sure he's been doing them for a few years now.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I felt that the sequence with Don and Megan was actually their own LSD trip. And Roger saying ''big mistake'' (?) right before they left seemed like an LSD induced kind of thing. That line did get repeated a couple of times, thus I thought it was a continuation of it all. Then it was actually reality when they fought and I was like ''ummm wtf, they shouldve made this a drug trip''.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Why is Sally Draper dressed like Barbarella?
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

I fail to understand why the previews of the next episodes during the closing credits are nothing more than random lines and shots, with no coherence or meaning whatsoever.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Why is Sally Draper dressed like Barbarella?
    LOL, agreed.

i LOVED peggy's dress during the move-in dinner. i also loved pete's demonstration of his job.

and i agree chris, but i guess i'm not as bothered since they are at least not giving away the whole plot like some shows do.

favourite line of the night "lots of people who haven't taken lsd already know that, roger."

favourite line of the night "lots of people who haven't taken lsd already know that, roger."
    loved this

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I fail to understand why the previews of the next episodes during the closing credits are nothing more than random lines and shots, with no coherence or meaning whatsoever.
    But it's dramatic, Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I was turned on by the motion of Megan's mom going down on Roger.

Also, I like how valuable Megan is proving herself to be. Despite some of her annoying traits, she's not just a trophy wife like Roger's now-ex was.

i agree, rick. makes me wonder how long she'll stick around.

Dang. Poor Sally.

While the new idea for the beans commercial was good, I didn't think that it was more amazing than the concept of the college-aged kids sitting around the bonfire with a guitar and Heinz beans! In fact, one would think that the two ideas could be part of a combined series of ads. So I found myself annoyed with Mr. Heinz because it seemed like he only dug it because he received the Total Don Draper Package Presentation. Ugh. What a dope. And while I don't know exactly what Mrs Heinz wanted to say before she shut herself up, I got the impression that his wife clearly knew him better than he himself did, and had she lobbed a hearty "I told you so" at Mr. Heinz I would not have been surprised. Shit, just writing this paragraph made me even more annoyed for him blowing off Peggy's presentation.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

I was unenthused about the first several episodes of this year... But the last three have been excellent and incredibly well-written. Best show on TV right now!