Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: mad men

Default Re: mad men

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRyot View Post
    Dang. Poor Sally.
    This is now the second episode where I've had a hard time with what they've done with Sally. It's a little inappropriate for her to catch Megan's mom in that act, ditto that past episode where she was caught masturbating. I mean, really? A fucking 10 year old? Completely unnecessary.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

how dare a young girl explore her sexuality.

characters such as the kid in bad santa had it far worse if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

You know what I mean.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

i guess i don't think masturbation is bad. the giving head thing was prolly shocking though since roger was being so nice to her earlier in the night. in some ways, it's like her father used to be. "you're great until i'm reasy to get laid"

honestly, the neighbor boy not wearing pants while talking to her on the phone was the creepiest of all :-P

Masturbation isn't bad. Having a 10-year-old girl do it on a respectable TV show is just kinda weird to me, that's all.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

we weren't even really "watching" anything. she made a face, an arm gesture, and kind of implied she was. i remember on roseanne the made references to dj jerking off and it didn't seem like that big a deal. why is it when it's a girl?

and i'm not picking on you specifically, chris. i just find it annoying how masturbation for young girls is treated differently than it is for young boys.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 05-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

TallGuyCM: Keeping Reality From Being Portrayed In Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Masturbation isn't bad. Having a 10-year-old girl do it on a respectable TV show is just kinda weird to me, that's all.
    It's supposed to be about the fact that a totally normal act is being looked upon as if its some terrible thing, that's the entire point. it'd be different if they were somehow sexualizing her, but they're not. You're sounding like one of those MillionMoms people. Let them explore their characters anyway they want. Good on them for tackling uncomfortable issues.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I concede.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I think everything they have done with Sally has been a fairly honest, non-selacious (although that joke about spreading her legs and flying away was a bit heavy handed) look at what a young girl goes through. She's growing up FAST in an era where that was going to start beoming more and more prevalant. She's not quite sure what it all is or means to her yet, but it's there and now she's got to figure it out. Seeing these men in her life and their interactions with the women around them is gonna play a big role in her teen years. I was a fairly sheltered kid/tween for my time and sex and all the confusion, curiosity, and shock it can create still creeped in at a pretty early age. I think everyone has these kind of experinces and showing them in a tasteful way on a dramatic tv show isn't something I'd worry about.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't Sally 12 or 13 now?

edit: I found this interesting character study of Sally http://entertainment.time.com/2012/0...-sally-draper/
    Last edited by amyzzz; 05-04-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Apparently she turned 9 in the course of season 3/4. So maybe 10 by now, 11 tops? I think TallGuy deserves more bludgeoning for being such a shithead. Shit was sexist as all fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I remember an interview on the Today Show in which they said she was 12.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Catching up with this show, but not quite caught up enough to participate at this point (just finished season 3). But this is now one of my favorite television scenes in ages.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I can't think of him as Ken Cosgrove. It's always Detective Cole Phelps for me.

Mr. Belding.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Disappointed, though not all together surprised, that Don didn't "get" Revolver. Also, he may have liked it more if he had started with "Taxman."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Hmmm. And here I thought I was not going to feel for Megan, but when her scene came up to tell Peggy, Stan and Ginsberg and she began to tear up... well, I'll be damned if I didn't end up tearing up for her, too. Though, when Peggy barked at Stan and Ginsberg that Megan was talking to them I LOLed pretty hard.

I guess if I liked Pete I might have felt sorry for him, but he is such a cad that I could only laugh at his attempts to woo himself a mistress. At the end I couldn't decide whether Pete or Beth was in the lead on the road to losing their mind.

Chuckled over the Allan Funt/Candid Camera reference from Roger. Loved Peggy telling Megan what's what in the Ladies Room, and later standing up to Don at the Cool Whip Kitchen.

Anyone else remember being a kid and opening up the Cool Whip tub in the refrigerator to scoop out a fingerful, or spoonful if you thought you had time, and hoping your mom didn't catch you?
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

What the fuck. Why does Pete get to fuck both Annie and that Gilmore Girl? That's fucked up.

stole from Pixiessp
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I'd like to try it just to see if it matched what I believe Roger's blood alcohol level to be.

I think somebody major is going to die before the end of the season. So far, all signs point to Pete. He's dissatisfied with his marriage and has started emulating Don & Roger (first the whorehouse a few episodes ago, then this week's dalliance with Beth Dawes), but is finding difficulty in attracting who he wants whereas the others had seemingly no problem. Lane kicked his ass. He looked absolutely pathetic in the elevator at the end of the episode in which he got pummelled, and if I recall correctly, that was the very same episode in which Don scolded him for his infidelity at the whorehouse and where he trotted out his rifle to impress Don & Cosgrove. In this week's episode, in the conversation with the life insurance salesman at the beginning of the episode, he made a seemingly throwaway remark about his insurance policy covering suicide after 2 years. Combine that with his remark about the pictures of Earth from space making him feel insignificant and lamenting that women get to dictate how relationships go, and things seem pretty bleak.

BUT considering how intelligent this show is, perhaps Pete is just a red herring and the one who'll commit suicide is going to be Roger. His productivity has waned -- he's shared a number of emasculations this season himself, most notably when Pete took that major account from him and made a big show of it in front of the entire office. There was also a part in this last episode where Pete was despondent and leaving the hotel after Beth didn't accept his invitation, then we cut to Roger entering Don's office, where he pours himself a drink and, in conversation about Megan leaving the agency to pursue her dream, noting that he didn't get to follow his dreams, instead being told by his father what he was to do with himself.

The symbolism of the empty elevator shaft when Don went to follow Megan downstairs was obviously a bad omen of things to come, and the death of one of the partners would certainly fit the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Cooper.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I predicted at the beginning of the season that Roger Sterling would croak, but now I'm beginning to think that no one will die, especially because they are foreshadowing death. Matt Weiner is from the David Chase/Sopranos school of audience fake outs.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I agree about the foreshadowing of death of a lead character. However, Ida Blankenship's demise came out of nowhere. Granted, she was not a lead character, but this makes me wary that it could be anyone, really.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

PIZZA HOUSE!

Is Pete going to end up nemesis of all the SCDP partners (already pissed off Roger and Layne)? The previews for next week's episode indicate he gets into a spat with Don about "leaving at 5:30".

Also. The A.V. Club write ups of the episodes this season are fucking fantastic. The same guy does the write ups for Community, which can be a little obnoxious because he's so thorough in his analysis, and while Community is more fascinating than the average sitcom, I don't think it quite merits such in depth coverage. Mad Men, on the other hand, offers much more to unpack, and dude really unleashes some striking commentary.