Plus, if this were say the Browns, not a single person would give a shit
    Incorrect.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: NFL Time

Nobody has argued that the old refs were perfect. However, they at least know the god damn rules, can keep control of a game, and aren't completely inept.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Incorrect.
    Extremely. Call could have been against the Cowboys and it still would have been garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

I don't know about that one. Yeah nobody gives a shit about the Browns, but the hate train on the refs was already in full swing and this last call on a MNF game is just more fuel to the fire.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    "Rule 8 - Section 3 - Article 1 - Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.
    I know the rule. Nice cut and paste job, though.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Bad call or not, who says the "real" refs wouldn't make the same call? It's retarded to think that bringing in Ed Hochuli and crew will make everything 100% alright. They've made plenty of shitty calls for the last 20+ years since I've been watching.
    this.

Also, that frame by frame shows all but THE frame where they both have hands the ball as they come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

He's a moron. Bad call or not, who says the "real" refs wouldn't make the same call? They've made plenty of shitty calls for the last 20+ years since I've been watching.
    A span 20+ years is one thing. These referees have managed to do it in a span of three games.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Nobody has argued that the old refs were perfect. However, they at least know the god damn rules, can keep control of a game, and aren't completely inept.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

I think the main argument is that the pace of the game is being ruined. They're too reliant on reviews, and the games are taking longer. I love football, so I don't mind longer games, but I want the games to be longer because of the action. I don't want them to drag because a ref is looking at a replay.

Bad call or not, who says the "real" refs wouldn't make the same call?
    This is not an intelligent way to think about the issue. Yes the real refs botch plenty of calls - they're human beings. But they're also the most qualified people on the planet to be put in those positions to make those calls. A real ref makes a bad call, ok, it happens, it pisses us off.

But what we have this year is something completely different - we have men who are unqualified to be NFL officials officiating NFL games. Because the league does not take it seriously. It's one thing to have fuckups when it's your best effort; it's another thing altogether to have fuckups because you made a conscious decision not to have qualified people on the field. And as J$ says, these refs have made 20 years worth of bad calls in 3 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Whatever, I'm still bitter about the NFC championship game from years back...fuck the refs.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I know the rule. Nice cut and paste job, though.

this.

Also, that frame by frame shows all but THE frame where they both have hands the ball as they come down.

So which part was it that Tate had control? When he had his arm holding the DB's arm or when he moved his arm off anything and everything?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    So which part was it that Tate had control? When he had his arm holding the DB's arm or when he moved his arm off anything and everything?
    this is the thing, everyone is focusing on Tate's right arm and completely overlooking the fact that his left hand was the first of either player to touch the ball...it stayed in contact with the ball the entire play. It doesnt matter how close Jennings held the ball to his chest while he was in the air, a possession only counts when a player gets both feet on the ground. The possesion, by rule, came when both players had both hands on the ball and came to the ground.

I realize I am in the extreme minority on this and I'm o.k. with that because I could see this call going either way. It was a stupid call for the ref to make on a last play hail mary (especially since the obvious pass interference call).

I am willing to bet that I am the only person on this board to have played college ball. I dedicated over 15 years of my life to this game including time spent as an assistant High School coach. I have a deep understanding of the game and it's rules.

I see this call being a rule changer similar to the tuck rule from the Oakland/New england game, or the crease rule from the Brett Hull stanley cup game.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 09-25-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

this is the thing, everyone is focusing on Tate's right arm and completely overlooking the fact that his left hand was the first of either player to touch the ball...it stayed in contact with the ball the entire play. It doesnt matter how close Jennings held the ball to his chest while he was in the air, a possession only counts when a player gets both feet on the ground. The possesion, by rule, came when both players had both hands on the ball and came to the ground.

I realize I am in the extreme minority on this and I'm o.k. with that because I could see this call going either way. It was a stupid call for the ref to make on a last play hail mary (especially since the obvious pass interference call).

I am willing to bet that I am the only person on this board to have played college ball. I dedicated over 15 years of my life to this game including time spent as an assistant High School coach. I have a deep understanding of the game and it's rules.

I see this call being a rule changer similar to the tuck rule from the Oakland/New england game, or the crease rule from the Brett Hull stanley cup game.
    So take Mike Peirerras job or run for commish instead of trying to sound like the smartest person ever on a message board.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    trying to sound like the smartest person ever on a message board.
    forever ever, FOREVER EVER?

I've seen people who have played in the NFL, who have a deep understanding of the game and its rules, all agree with us. I think their experiences and knowledge may trump yours, if you're choosing to play that card.

The rule doesn't say anything about which player establishes possession first. It says whatever player gains control. Even if we're going by your interpretation, Jennings had more control of the ball than did Golden Tate when they hit the ground. There's a reason why almost EVERYBODY thinks it was the wrong call. It's because it was the wrong call.

also, It's cute how you first focused on my penis size, now you're focusing on my brain size. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, SUPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I've seen people who have played in the NFL, who have a deep understanding of the game and its rules, all agree with us. I think their experiences and knowledge may trump yours, if you're choosing to play that card.
    I wasnt trying to "play that card", really. And I do understand that I'm probably one of three people in the world who sees it this way. The point I was trying to make is that I'm not a Sunday armchair quarterback like say...Supre. I'm not pulling my thoughts out of my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    The rule doesn't say anything about which player establishes possession first. It says whatever player gains control. Even if we're going by your interpretation, Jennings had more control of the ball than did Golden Tate when they hit the ground. There's a reason why almost EVERYBODY thinks it was the wrong call. It's because it was the wrong call.
    The rule I'm referring to is the possession rule, not the simultanious possession rule. Which is why I said the call could go either way and we will likely see a rule change soon.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 09-25-2012 at 07:12 PM.

But guys, he ACTUALLY played college ball, dedicated 15 years of his life to the game, and was EVEN a high school assistant coach. He MUST have a deep, deep, balls deep understanding of the game and its rules.

Fuck you, release your tax returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

I chuckled

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Here is my line from my other pooltracker pool: Car Chi Cle Dal NYJ SF NO Was Det Ind AZ Atl Hou Pit NE GB 55

Six and Ten with a lot of red ink.

As you can see from the Picks Matrix, I fucked up and did not save my picks to Polo Fields Pool and am prepared to take the goose egg for the week unless a majority of my fellow pool members allow me to post these six pathetic wins to my overall score.

Vote early and often.
    Ok with me
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The rule I'm referring to is the possession rule, not the simultanious possession rule. Which is why I said the call could go either way and we will likely see a rule change soon.
    The possession rule you quoted makes sense, it really does. But when Golden Tate's right arm comes completely off of the ball on the way down while Jennings is still clutching it, the possession changes hands.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wisconsin's got 10 electoral votes.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The embarrassing NFL referee saga and the disputed call that gave the Seattle Seahawks a victory over the Green Bay Packers on Monday night has reached the campaign for the White House, with President Barack Obama deeming it "terrible'' and declaring it was time to get regular officiating crews back on the job.

"I've been saying for months we've got to get our refs back,'' Obama said as he returned to the White House from an appearance before the United Nations. In a tweet that went out under his initials, Obama said: "NFL fans on both sides of the aisle hope the refs' lockout is settled soon.''

In a rare moment of agreement with Obama, presidential rival Mitt Romney and GOP running mate Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin native, also said it was time to bring back the "real refs.'' The NFL locked out the officials in June after their contract expired. The league has been using replacement officials, who have come under increasing criticism over the way they handled some games.

"I sure would like to see some experienced referees, with NFL experience, come back on to the NFL playing fields,'' Romney said in an interview with CNN.

Ryan added a partisan note, using the referee imbroglio to make a case for kicking the president out of office.

"It reminds me of President Obama and the economy,'' Ryan said in Cincinnati. "If you can't get it right, it's time to get out. I half think that these refs work part-time for the Obama administration in the budget office. ... They're trying to pick the winners and losers, and they don't even do that very well.''

Seattle won 14-12 over Green Bay after referees ruled a Seattle receiver caught the ball amid a pile of bodies in the end zone on the game's last play. The NFL conceded that a Seattle penalty in the course of the play went uncalled and cost the Packers the victory, but the league upheld the catch itself and the Seahawks' victory. Legions of football fans watched the play and the referees' call in disbelief, and buzzed about it all day Tuesday.

Typically, Obama, a diehard Chicago Bears enthusiast, is not one to wish the rival Green Bay Packers well.

But besides being an avid sports fan, Obama recently has redoubled efforts to win in the Packer's home state of Wisconsin. His campaign recently started airing ads in the state and Obama held a rally Saturday in Milwaukee, his first visit to the state since February.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One that Obama watched the Monday night game and "thinks there was a real problem with that call.''

"He said that what happened in that game is why both sides need to come together, resolve their differences so that the regular refs can get back on the field so we can start focusing on a game that so many of us love rather than debating whether or not a game was won or lost because of a bad call,'' Carney said.

Obama said in a phone interview Tuesday with The Des Moines Register that he doesn't blame the replacement refs.

"They've been put in a tough situation,'' the president said. "But the fact is this is a fast, tough game to control. And it doesn't make sense to me for a league that's been so successful not to want to put their very best out there.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27ZyYOB7c

Leave it to Paul Ryan to compare football to politics. O well anyone else getting sick of hearing about this play already though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

The real officials could return next week:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...y-week-sources

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Leave it to Paul Ryan to compare football to politics. O well anyone else getting sick of hearing about this play already though?
    NEVER FORGET

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/showusat.php?id=VEUCiM

Small wonder why NFL replacement official Lance Easley is considered public enemy No. 1 this week -- and maybe for the entire season in Green Bay, Wis.

Working as the side judge Monday night, the longtime Southern California high school and junior college official signaled the winning catch by receiver Golden Tate in the Seattle Seahawks' last-play, 14-12 win against the Green Bay Packers -- a call the world believes he blew by turning an obvious interception into a touchdown.

But why was he in the NFL?

He wasn't deemed good enough to become a Division I college official this summer, according to Karl Richins and his staff of Division I college officials at Stars and Stripes Academy for Football Officials in Salt Lake City.

"I got to know Lance at a June academy I worked at in Reno and when he came to my academy in July," Richins said. "He's a very polite, good Christian gentleman, a good father to his son, Daniel, who was at my academy as well.

"But was Lance ready to work at the NFL level? Absolutely not."

Richins' staff determined that Easley, vice president of small business banking at Bank of America in Santa Maria, Calif., wasn't ready for Division I, the highest level of college officiating, never mind the much faster NFL game.

Richins said the biggest mistake Easley made was agreeing to become a replacement official in the first place. He said Easley had never officiated at a level higher than Division III and never voiced a desire to reach the NFL.

"I'm getting e-mails saying, 'Boy, you must be proud,'" Richins told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. "This is not what we intended for our officiating students to do. We train officials to work at the Division I level.

"At no time do we say, 'We can train you for the NFL.' After three days at our academy, Lance was determined by our staff not to be ready for Division I officiating."

That point was hammered home to a national television audience. On a last-second play, Easley ruled that Tate hauled in a touchdown pass, deciding he was the winner of a simultaneous-possession battle for the football with Packers safety M.D. Jennings. Problem is, TV replays showed Jennings clutching the ball to his chest.

And the league, in a statement Tuesday, said the supposed touchdown should've been nullified by pass interference on Tate, which Easley didn't call.

"The receiver was clearly pushing off," said Richins, a retired referee who worked Division I games from 2003-2010. "It was clearly offensive pass interference."

Attempts by USA TODAY Sports to contact Easley were unsuccessful.

Richins was a new official in the Mountain West Conference in 2001, when the NFL's veteran officials last went on strike, and he declined the opportunity for a "one-and-done" NFL experience. He says Easley should have heeded that advice.

"As officials, we always want to walk off the field and not be noticed," Richins said. "The best games are when fans and media talk about the players and coaches and what they did wrong and they don't ever mention officials.

"That's all anyone is talking about now -- the officials."

Richins worked in the Big 12 and Mountain West Conferences before a back issue forced his retirement in 2010.

Like a lot of players and fans, Richins wants the league and the referees to resolve their 3-month-old labor dispute.

He added: "With what happened, it'd be tough now for Lance Easley to face NFL coaches and players. I can't imagine how he was able to go to work at his normal job.

"We say, as officials, 'Pressure is a privilege.' These guys weren't up to the pressure."

I was at the game on Monday night and the officiating was appalling across the board, with BOTH teams receiving a great deal of terrible penalties. The 4th quarter pass interference call on Kam Chancellor was every bit as crucial to the outcome of the game. On 3rd and 2 Chancellor made a tremendous play on the ball, knocking down a pass intended for Jermichael Finley that would have resulted in a first down. He got called for pass interference and the penalty preserved what would become Green Bay's go-ahead (and only) touchdown. This is the best video I could find of the play.

Because of the finality of the last play it's easy to say that the officials robbed Green Bay of victory, but if the officials had called a perfect game Green Bay never would have had the lead in the first place. It's a shame that the final play has overshadowed a tremendous defensive effort by Seattle, and a truly exciting game despite the low score.

I also find it hilarious that Golden Tate has become such a lightening rod for controversy in the last two weeks. Shame on you whiny Cowboys fans for suggesting that the hit on Sean Lee would be his only claim to fame.

A great quote from an article by Mike Salk at ESPN 710. Required reading for everyone who thinks that Carroll and Tate should be apologizing for the victory.

Just ask a Steelers fan how much he cares when he's taunted about the phantom holding call in Super Bowl XL? Notice how hard a Patriots fan laughs when someone mentions the tuck rule, or a Yankees fan when he's told that the entire 1990s dynasty never would have happened were it not for a truant named Jeffrey Mayer.

The point is that bad calls happen and sometimes you catch a break. But the Seahawks put themselves in position to capitalize on it when it came.

Referees didn't falsely award them eight first-half sacks nor did they leave Tate wide open for his first touchdown. They weren't responsible for the prolific Green Bay offense accounting for just one touchdown. They didn't help Marshawn Lynch come just two yards shy of another triple-digit performance. They didn't cause Green Bay to punt after failing to pick up the one first down they needed to win the game. No one in stripes moved the ball down to the 28-yard line before controversy ensued.

The Seahawks can take credit for all of those things.