Page 603 of 622 FirstFirst ... 598599600601602603604605606607608 ... LastLast
Results 18,061 to 18,090 of 18636

Thread: NFL Time

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: NFL Time

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    What about the words "if any," where they meant to be relative? I don't see anything in your post that answers my question to you so I'll repeat it. How could you possibly quantify how many (if any) people used these kinds of slurs if you freely admit you never bothered to read any of them?
    OK "if any" wasn't appropriate and came out as a figure of speech. Strike that, I apologize.
    But moving on from there. Do you not see the explosion of the usage of the word after the media got ahold of it (immediately after Sherman said it) as telling? This "debate" was largely just contrived by the media, an exaggeration of the issue to get attention and "weigh in" on a matter that shouldn't have been a big deal, and in reality wasn't. "America" wasn't calling Sherman a thug. It was some tweets here and there he (may have) read.

Actually for that matter you can substitute "thug" for any of the other epithets hurled at him. Yes there were some, and it was infinitely more classless than what he said (which I agree wasn't that big a deal), but that doesn't paint the whole damn country or even much of it. It's a few fucking morons.

EDIT: and it detracted from what should have been an obvious admission that what he said was goofy and unnecessary. It wasn't "trash talk", it wasn't something cultural. It was just a hot head running his mouth plain and simple.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-23-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Oh sorry I forgot this board was for you posting your opinion and then everyone agreeing with it.

I don't care much except for the fun in reflecting self-righteous indignation sparked by what had no right to be anything more than throwaway comment by some dude on a sideline. But since folks want to argue about it... why not.

The arguments are all the same. Because someone called him a name, obviously that name is what EVERYONE's thinking, it's symptomatic of deep seated problems with American culture that only a few very brave bloggers have the temerity to point out on the internet. Sherman's lucky to have at least THEIR support.
    Vintage jackstraw. I suppose the other reason for your commitment to this topic is that you're "killing time at work?" And while I marvel at the cosmic timelessness of your thirst for myopic debate, I must emphasize that I feel much better about my opinions when you don't agree with them.

I get that You Also Have An Opinion here, and that all is banished if the course of discussion doesn't fit your specific narrative. But did you really not understand that I drew a very clear line between those who criticized Sherman with racial under/overtones, and those who merely thought he was an asshat (of which I have been one for several years)?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Do you not see the explosion of the usage of the word after the media got ahold of it (immediately after Sherman said it) as telling? This "debate" was largely just contrived by the media, an exaggeration of the issue to get attention and "weigh in" on a matter that shouldn't have been a big deal, and in reality wasn't. "America" wasn't calling Sherman a thug. It was some tweets here and there he (may have) read.
    For the most part I agree with this, the bold part in particular. Let's chalk it up to the 24 hour news cycle and one man getting naturally defensive. I hope Sherman gets the chance the to give a more gracious interview at the super bowl, post-victory.

And if they lose, hopefully he won't place the blame completely on the refs again.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Vintage jackstraw. I suppose the other reason for your commitment to this topic is that you're "killing time at work?" And while I marvel at the cosmic timelessness of your thirst for myopic debate, I must emphasize that I feel much better about my opinions when you don't agree with them.

I get that You Also Have An Opinion here, and that all is banished if the course of discussion doesn't fit your specific narrative. But did you really not understand that I drew a very clear line between those who criticized Sherman with racial under/overtones, and those who merely thought he was an asshat (of which I have been one for several years)?
    For the life of me I'll never understand why people are compelled to throw jabs about wasting time on this forum. Does this somehow strengthen your arguments or weaken mine? Does the notion of popping in once every now and then and reading posts on this forum really sound like a massive time sink to you (not to mention ironic)? Your quip about how you feel better about your opinions when I disagree is just childish, it doesn't suit you. You seem to forget that you are the one who got upset because someone said something counter to YOUR narrative. Ad hominem aside, Yes I did catch the distinction you were making, and if you go back and look I was mainly addressing you in particular about your sportsmanship issue ("helluva game"), which I never intended to have any racial undertones at all (as I clearly understood you saw none either). The "thug" thing was separate issue and an an add on because you did bring it up, and it was something that was bothering me in general about the media and many others overdoing that issue, but I wasn't arguing with you on that score. It was bobert that picked up that thread and I was addressing him on that issue from that point on.

Race aside:
    What you saw in the field footage seemed to lead you to believe Sherman was being magnanimous. Let's for the moment assume that was true (even though IMO from my viewing of the footage it isn't but). I still don't think it makes it correct to say what he said. I could see how it might explain it, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do. If that was your kid would you be proud of him for it? Would you want your own kid emulating him? Maybe you would and that's a fundamental disagreement. I have to be explicit in stating that your opinion is also worthy of stating then I guess consider it said, I would just prefer a world where the trash talking happens before a game, not after. It doesn't sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    For the most part I agree with this, the bold part in particular. Let's chalk it up to the 24 hour news cycle and one man getting naturally defensive. I hope Sherman gets the chance the to give a more gracious interview at the super bowl, post-victory.
    Totally. That's the amusing irony of this incident is it sets Sherman up to be a bigger hero for NOT saying things like this going forward. Of course he may still, but he gets to give a wry wink at the media and the public if he shows growth and class from here on out. At the very least I hope he limits his talk to how great he is. That's always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

The cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

ESPN used to be watchable.

Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, and Bill Simmons are the three most insufferable twats in all of sports media. I wish a gruesome death on all three of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

The Hype Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, and Bill Simmons are the three most insufferable twats in all of sports media. I wish a gruesome death on all three of them.
    I used to like Bill Simmons. I think success has turned him into a younger, slightly hipper version of Rick Reilly. And Reilly is the worst, but at least he doesn't prattle on for 45 paragraphs.

Bayless and Smith have always annoyed me. Bayless is a dufus and Smith wants you to know just what a badass he really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Is Bayless self-aware? He has to be at this point, right?

I used to like Bill Simmons. I think success has turned him into a younger, slightly hipper version of Rick Reilly. And Reilly is the worst, but at least he doesn't prattle on for 45 paragraphs.

Bayless and Smith have always annoyed me. Bayless is a dufus and Smith wants you to know just what a badass he really is.
    I have hated Reilly for such a long time that I completely forgot about that fucking cunt... Bill Simmons was so tolerable when he wasn't in front of a camera, at one point I think I found him rather funny when he was just a columnist/author. Now that I can see his smug face and hear his weird Vinnie Barbarino-esque pronunciations.

Cris Collinsworth's arm hair is incredible.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

So is his long ass neck...

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Cris Collinsworth's arm hair is incredible.
    Isn't he always wearing a suit? What's up with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Not at the Hawaii Pro Bowl. In HD. It was just...incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    He wore the Tommy Bahama gear he's been waiting all year to rock on the Pro Bowl special yesterday, arm hair was MASSIVE.

It was like he got arm hair implants straight from Robin Williams' chest. I swear to God I saw a family of ewoks peer out from behind it.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Ahahahahahaa, oh man, that's great.

Each arm looked like an Armenian midget.

At first I thought it was some sort of intricate arm tattoo.

Amazing: Washington Redskins Hire All-Star Team of Villains

Dan Snyder’s approach to any problem is to throw vast sums of money at overrated big names whose best work is behind them, so it is fitting that he has compiled an all-star team of mendacious sleaze.

Did anyone see what Kap had to say about richard sherman?
    you are soooooooo good lookin

He is being a bitter loser, while still blaming himself, whts new.

I found it funny, he really looks like a dumbass. Saying its a game of inches and it could of gone the other way, well no shit but you threw a shitty pass so it didnt stfu!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Kaepernick had three fourth quarter turnovers and his best response is that if he had thrown a better ball it would have only been two. God bless him.

I'd love to see a copy of Kap's Wonderlic...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I'd love to see a copy of Kap's Wonderlic...

It was 37
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)