Page 602 of 622 FirstFirst ... 597598599600601602603604605606607 ... LastLast
Results 18,031 to 18,060 of 18635

Thread: NFL Time

Default Re: NFL Time

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    This is really dumb logic. If Smith didn't have Jamaal Charles, he'd have another running back and that running back would have caught for some yards and maybe some touchdowns. That's like saying "If the Broncos didn't have Peyton Manning, the team would have had 5,477 less yards and 55 less touchdowns." It doesn't work that way.
    It is weakened a little bit by the fact that Smith put up 378 passing yards in a playoff game in which Charles left early in the first quarter.

Without Alex Smith, the Chiefs would have had 0 passing yards that game.

Yeah I worded that very wrong. My point in that was that Jamaal Charles is a top tier RB and the workhorse of that offense. Put Frank in that same position and the numbers probably wouldn't be as high nor would he have lasted the season. Put Joe Flacco in at the Broncos and he's probably not going to have the same number of yards as Peyton. Alex Smith's numbers excelled because he had a better system around him to tailor to his skillset. Andy Reid loves WC football and Smith is better suited to that style. Smith did play very well against the Colts in the playoffs. Just like he did against the Saints in the playoffs two years ago. Exception to the norm.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    I'm not even defending Sherman. I answered a question. At what point did I say the media made him act like that or answer the questions like that? I didn't.
    "100% media's fault" is what made it sound like you blamed the media for putting him in a position to make those comments. But if you're saying that the circus itself that ensued was entirely the media's fault then fine. This is a very simple issue of a jerk running his mouth, and that's all it should have been.

But I do disagree about how there was nothing remarkable about the words themselves. Calling himself the greatest, no big deal. Airing personal dirty laundry about other players, that's got to be shamed.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Seattle 28 - Denver 38
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Sherman needs to get a gun and go back to da hood.
    Go fuck yourself you racist shitbag.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Seattle 28 - Denver 38
    too many points.

I was in vegas earlier this week and considered betting the super bowl when I realized.. my head says take Seattle and the point, but my heart says don't you fucking dare put a dime on those assholes. So I didn't bet.

Denver 24, Seattle 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    And screw Wes Welker for that legal but dirty pancake hit on Talib.
    Puh-leeze. If he still had on a Patriots jersey and leveled a Broncos DB on that play, you would have thrown your back out from high fiving every chowder eater in the neighborhood.

Your dog came back into town and bit the hand that used to beat him. You can't play the victim card here.

"I learned it by watching you, dad!"

14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

It pains me to agree with Fourthisto
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yeah it was a simple pick play that turned sour. You don't send in your smallest and best receiver in to try and hurt someone..
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

On the drive just before Talib got hurt. New England did the exact same thing to Rodgers Cromartie. Only difference is Cromartie isn't a bitch like Talib and Belichick.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I used to think it was only the racists (and I include those who refer to a Stanford graduate with a vacant criminal record as a "thug" or "gangsta" or "hood" rat in that distinction) who owed Richard Sherman an apology for their reactions to his post-game outburst.

Now I'm thinking that all of us who referred to him as classless, bad sport, jerk, asshole (the word I used), et. al., do. At the 00:45 mark, he makes an absolutely gracious gesture of telling a guy he apparently hates "hell of a game", with what appears to be a genuine handshake and a genuine "wtf?" reaction at the face shove that follows....I have NO problem with Sherman's subsequent comments in this context.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6745--nfl.html

It's easy as fuck for me to push aside the glorious Skip Bayless takedown and focus on his repellent qualities when he's the face/mouthpiece of a Pete Carroll team (which I have historically disliked, due to prior AFC West rivalry, the loathsomely dispassionate Shaun Alexander, and Matt "we're gonna take the ball and score, yeah!" Hasselbeck) that is about to square off with the Broncos in the Super Bowl. But this seals it - if Sherman played for Denver, I'd be wearing his jersey right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I used to think it was only the racists (and I include those who refer to a Stanford graduate with a vacant criminal record as a "thug" or "gangsta" or "hood" rat in that distinction) who owed Richard Sherman an apology for their reactions to his post-game outburst.

Now I'm thinking that all of us who referred to him as classless, bad sport, jerk, asshole (the word I used), et. al., do. At the 00:45 mark, he makes an absolutely gracious gesture of telling a guy he apparently hates "hell of a game", with what appears to be a genuine handshake and a genuine "wtf?" reaction at the face shove that follows....I have NO problem with Sherman's subsequent comments in this context.

It's easy as fuck for me to push aside the glorious Skip Bayless takedown and focus on his repellent qualities when he's the face/mouthpiece of a Pete Carroll team (which I have historically disliked, due to prior AFC West rivalry, the loathsomely dispassionate Shaun Alexander, and Matt "we're gonna take the ball and score, yeah!" Hasselbeck) that is about to square off with the Broncos in the Super Bowl. But this seals it - if Sherman played for Denver, I'd be wearing his jersey right now.
    Thank you, Gabe. I was going to post this but it means a lot more coming from an objective party. Crabtree is such a little bitch.

I'm not even objective - I've genuinely disliked Richard Sherman almost since I became aware of his existence. I think a lot of his trash-talk in off-field settings comes off desperate, and his delivery is usually too stilted to be entertaining. I will absolutely be rooting for Demaryius Thomas to put a clown suit on him in 9 days. I also stashed Crabtree on my fantasy team in week 8, and he was my leading playoff receiver on my way to a league championship.

All that being said, Sherman is easily one of the top 3-5 CB's in the league (possibly #1), and his reaction in that scenario was totally appropriate.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Even if his feelings were warranted by what happened, like what Jackstraw said there's no need to air his dirty laundry.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I think a lot of his trash-talk in off-field settings comes off desperate, and his delivery is usually too stilted to be entertaining. I will absolutely be rooting for Demaryius Thomas to put a clown suit on him in 9 days.
    I think his trash-talking has always been a way to self-motivate and to demand the recognition he's always felt he deserved. Last year at this time he was baiting tourists in the French Quarter, asking them who was the better corner, Richard Sherman or Derelle Revis, with the joke being that almost everyone he interviewed didn't recognize him. Well everyone knows who he is now, so hopefully he keeps the trash-talking on the field from here on out.

I can't wait to see him match up with Demaryius. I think you'll see a lot of mutual respect between those two players. I'm curious to see how many times Peyton challenges Sherman.

I am not defending Crabtree's actions of pushing Sherman in the face at all he shouldn't have done that. However I think Sherman needs to just stay away from Crabtree at that point. Wait until after the game and not right after that play where Crabtree is still dealing with the worst moment in his career. As for Sherman saying good game like I have no idea if it was sincere or not but what is important is how Crabtree perceived it. If Crabtree perceived it as a sarcastic thing as they hate each other and thinks Sherman is just rubbing it in his face then while I don't agree with the shoving of Sherman's face I at least understand it. If he did think it was a sincere good game and still hit in him the face then yes that makes Crabtree a bitch. That being said I still feel it is fine for people to think he is a classless asshole because this still doesn't let him off the hook for giving the choke signal to Kaepernick or any of the other stuff he has done so far in his career.

What is also funny though there was more mic'd up footage from the game and before his interview he is perfectly calm and even hugging Erin Andrews being perfectly happy and then once the interview started boom that happens. While I am still not sure of Sherman's remark to Crabtree were sarcastic or not he was very sincere with other players on the 49ers and even told LaMichael James to tell Bowman he wishes him the best with his injury and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Even if his feelings were warranted by what happened, like what Jackstraw said there's no need to air his dirty laundry.
    Jesus Christ, y'all sure are fans of boring television. If that kind of interview had taken place after an MMA fight or a boxing match no one would have blinked an eye. I'm amazed that people were so shocked to see that kind of bravado from an NFL player. That was one of the most hard-hitting, violent football games I've ever seen. Bones were broken, legs torn apart and then they interview the most jacked up guy on the field and everyone expects him to act like he just dropped the winning put at The Masters. On behalf of the Seahawks, I apologize if any of your children had to witness that rant.

There are two interpretations of Sherman's "helluva game" shit.

A) he was taunting. How idiotic is it to run up to a player IMMEDIATELY after getting up and patting a guy who just lost an opportunity to win the game (whom you have a documented beef with no less), pat him on his ass and get right in his face and yell "helluva game". While it was clear the game was over, it still wasn't the end of regulation. This wasn't players casually meeting in the middle of the field after the final whistle. Again it was IMMEDIATELY after jumping up after making the play and rushing to get into his face. That reeks of smart ass.

B) he was genuine. Still equally idiotic. He has a habit of doing this and he's gotten popped for it in the past. Even if you're being sportsmanlike (and again I seriously doubt he was), at least wait until the game is over before you go jumping in the face of the man you just beat to "congratulate" him. This is a lesson he's had a chance to learn many times before and he's not learning it.

The shame is if he had just left Crabtree's name out and just talked about how great he is he'd be a hero. None of the bullshit "thug" crap would have ever come up. And BTW extremely few if any people used the word thug until he himself used the word in his statement the next day. The "thug" argument is a straw man.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Jesus Christ, y'all sure are fans of boring television. If that kind of interview had taken place after an MMA fight or a boxing match no one would have blinked an eye. I'm amazed that people were so shocked to see that kind of bravado from an NFL player. That was one of the most hard-hitting, violent football games I've ever seen. Bones were broken, legs torn apart and then they interview the most jacked up guy on the field and everyone expects him to act like he just dropped the winning put at The Masters. On behalf of the Seahawks, I apologize if any of your children had to witness that rant.
    Nobody "can't handle" what he said, it wasn't too exciting for anyone. What's distasteful is the lack of grace shown in victory. Trash talking has its place in sports. That place is BEFORE or even during the contest. There is no honor in ridiculing someone you've just beaten. There is no strategy or bravado in it. It's just being a jerk. Just because someone else does it or if it's common in other sports doesn't mean everyone should love it.

But in the end the most irritating thing about all of this is it wasn't supposed to be a big deal. The guy was super emotional. It's an easily forgivable thing. But everyone is raging that it was somehow the proper thing to do. If seahawks fans just admitted "yeah it was kind of punk but we don't care" then it would have taken the fire out of the whole debate. But the momentum has created this big racial issue out of it. And people are conflating that with the simpler issue of it just being a classless statement. He gaffed. It's wasn't that noteworthy.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The "thug" argument is a straw man.
    Is that how you spent Martin Luther King Day, monitoring the chronology of Richard Sherman's twitter feed? You're the king of straw men. The Lord of Straw Man Manor. And I'd also wager that you're a bitter 49ers fan. Enjoy your sour grapes.

Is that how you spent Martin Luther King Day, monitoring the chronology of Richard Sherman's twitter feed? You're the king of straw men. The Lord of Straw Man Manor. And I'd also wager that you're a bitter 49ers fan. Enjoy your sour grapes.
    It was in his public statement that was being reposted in every fucking article the next day. I don't follow his twitter. I'm simply awake. You should try it.

I am not a 49er fan and could care less about them. I don't really have a ton of empathy for the fair weather 49er fans anyway.

Arguing against the "thug" argument is also a straw man.

1. I only listed the criminal connotations as examples of the out-of-bounds insults I've seen lobbed at Sherman; I didn't think I needed to highlight all the N-bombs and simian references, but they're easy to find.
    2. The racist component wasn't really the point of my post.

Also, why do you even care about this other than it being Yet Another Reason to keyboard fight oh I get it.

It was in his public statement that was being reposted in every fucking article the next day. I don't follow his twitter. I'm simply awake. You should try it.
    So you read the article that Sherman wrote for Sports Illustrated. And you feel that makes you qualified to make this statement:

And BTW extremely few if any people used the word thug until he himself used the word in his statement the next day.
    How could you possibly quantify how many (if any) people used these kinds of slurs if you freely admit you never bothered to read any of them. Just how awake are you? Per usual, Jack, you don't know shit.

The sky is blue.

This was fantastic marketing by Sherman who, not coincidentally, is promoting Beats by Dre headphones and starring in a commercial that has the same theme as what's been happening over the past few days.

It could also be a reason why Sherman was so quick to get defensive about the use of the word "thug" (which does have racial implications in many instances), which is the same word with which he took offense in the commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Sherman needs to get a gun and go back to da hood.
    Get over it, start looking forward to Northwestern crashing and burning again in 8 months.

Man, your comebacks are the weakest.

Arguing against the "thug" argument is also a straw man.

1. I only listed the criminal connotations as examples of the out-of-bounds insults I've seen lobbed at Sherman; I didn't think I needed to highlight all the N-bombs and simian references, but they're easy to find.
    2. The racist component wasn't really the point of my post.

Also, why do you even care about this other than it being Yet Another Reason to keyboard fight oh I get it.
    Oh sorry I forgot this board was for you posting your opinion and then everyone agreeing with it.

I don't care much except for the fun in reflecting self-righteous indignation sparked by what had no right to be anything more than throwaway comment by some dude on a sideline. But since folks want to argue about it... why not.

The arguments are all the same. Because someone called him a name, obviously that name is what EVERYONE's thinking, it's symptomatic of deep seated problems with American culture that only a few very brave bloggers have the temerity to point out on the internet. Sherman's lucky to have at least THEIR support.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.

So you read the article that Sherman wrote for Sports Illustrated. And you feel that makes you qualified to make this statement:

How could you possibly quantify how many (if any) people used these kinds of slurs if you freely admit you never bothered to read any of them. Just how awake are you? Per usual, Jack, you don't know shit.

The sky is blue.
    Like I said, it was posted in every fucking article by every fucking blogger immediately after he said it. It wasn't hard to find. The fact that you seem to think it was difficult to know this proves how hilariously ill prepared you are to respond on this topic.

The words "extremely few" was meant to be relative. Because THIS happened immediately after. If you want to actually contribute some substance and discuss this go ahead. So far you're just fumbling around trying to insult me before actually knowing anything at all about this it seems.

The words "extremely few" was meant to be relative.
    What about the words "if any," where they meant to be relative? I don't see anything in your post that answers my question to you so I'll repeat it. How could you possibly quantify how many (if any) people used these kinds of slurs if you freely admit you never bothered to read any of them?