Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: did coachella loose money?

  1. #1
    Member Coachellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    coachella is my fav holiday
    Posts
    212

  2. #2
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,141

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    vegas has loose slots

  3. #3
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,462

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    as for my two cents, i feel it also has a lot to do with the bands chosen to play the events. admittedly I'm not a Prince fan, and by no means am i insisting he's a bad artist. however, i can only name about 2 songs he does, which doesn't translate to paying headliner prices. this isn't a blanket statement, but did you all go pick up his latest release when it came out?

    ...

  4. #4
    old school cansei de ser sexme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Claremont
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    ...
    you forgot to go to the next paragraph...

    as for my two cents, i feel it also has a lot to do with the bands chosen to play the events. admittedly I'm not a Prince fan, and by no means am i insisting he's a bad artist. however, i can only name about 2 songs he does, which doesn't translate to paying headliner prices. this isn't a blanket statement, but did you all go pick up his latest release when it came out?

    i don't have exact figures to back this up, but i feel warped tour is probably doing well financially

  5. #5
    Member fiyahhh!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    1,796

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    I used to go to concerts and festivals all the time. Now I think they are too expensive for what they are. Take the Virgin festival, I would love to see Foo Fighters (again), NIN, STP and a couple of others but they spread it out over 2 days and the value is not there. I don't feel like I am getting a deal.
    2 day pass = $175
    artists performing = 41
    avg price per band = $4.27
    telling the world this isn't a good deal = priceless

  6. #6
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    And some Random blogger from Baltimore of all places shouldnt be doing some random report like this.

  7. #7
    Member Botrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hollyhood
    Posts
    1,535

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    ^Exactly

  8. #8
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,928

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    retarded/

  9. #9
    Member slurpee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    1,368

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    i love coachella better than anything.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

  10. #10
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,984

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Loose lips sink ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  11. #11
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    This probably wasnt a personal attack on our favorite festival, but rather a sloppy cobbling of known facts and a few guesses. (a "blog", if you will)

    This is a story on the issues facing the overall concert industry that was in the UT today.... I personally had coachella paid for in february, but APW is going to be scaled down. Selling my sunday ticket, staying with friends in the city rather than a hotel, camping the stage with water bottles rather than getting my drink on and charging about buying $85 Emek posters, (for example).... They have a quote from an AEG rep, which runs coachella (i think)

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...7concerts.html

    Poor economy has concert promoters singing the blues

    By George Varga
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    July 17, 2008
    Pop-music concerts raked in $3.9 billion in North America last year, but the struggling U.S. economy is fanning fears among event promoters of a summer tumble and winter fallout.

    “The impact of the economy on concerts is the biggest I've seen in my 17 years here,” said John Wojas, vice president of AEG Live San Diego. “We're seeing lower attendance at every show across the board, from Latin and adult-contemporary to alternative rock.”
    .......

    “We have to be careful going forward, because a lot of forecasts predict that as bad as things are now, they are going to get worse. And a lot of the summer concert tours were planned earlier, when gas prices weren't as bad and the economy wasn't as dicey.”

    One concert-goer, SDSU junior Faryar Borhani, 20, is already cautious.

    “Last summer, I went to four or five concerts; this summer, I've only gone to one,” he said. “Because of ticket and gas prices going through the roof, I won't be going to any more.”
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  12. #12
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,984

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  13. #13
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    One concert-goer, SDSU junior Faryar Borhani, 20, is already cautious.

    “Last summer, I went to four or five concerts; this summer, I've only gone to one,” he said. “Because of ticket and gas prices going through the roof, I won't be going to any more.”
    Yeah, he probably can't afford to go because buying all those antibiotics to combat his raging syphilis wiped out his wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  14. #14
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,984

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    you know this gentleman?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  15. #15
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Yeah, he probably can't afford to go because buying all those antibiotics to combat his raging syphilis wiped out his wallet.
    Frat boy done you wrong dear? There was an uncomfortable "personal experience" edge to that joke...

    ;-)

    "Six years at SDSU and all I got was an STD"
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  16. #16
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    you know this gentleman?
    No.


    Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    Frat boy done you wrong dear? There was an uncomfortable "personal experience" edge to that joke...
    No.

    Mostly I can't pass up an opportunity to sneer at STDSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,928

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    They have a quote from an AEG rep, which runs coachella (i think)

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...7concerts.html
    the people complaining about the effects of the economy can't be the same people who are starting up all these new festivals. I wonder why there is such a divide.

    and the dude went to 5 fucking concerts last year? I wonder, when they think of concert, when do they draw the line between club show and concert? the economy will probably affect the $50+ ticket $8 beer $20 parking shows much more than the small club shows a lot of us attend.

    but then again, our festivals, ouch...

  18. #18
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    No.




    No.

    Mostly I can't pass up an opportunity to sneer at STDSU.
    booooooo!!!!!

    Where the hell else could I have had transferred into with a 2.67 GPA and still heard, "Wow, your (sic) so smart!" from hot pussy????????

    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  19. #19
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,927

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    vegas has loose slots
    I really fucking hate that term. So vulgar.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  20. #20
    Young blood
    Guest

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    booooooo!!!!!

    Where the hell else could I have had transferred into with a 2.67 GPA and still heard, "Wow, your (sic) so smart!" from hot pussy????????

    I believe that children are our future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside
    Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
    Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

    Everybody searching for a hero
    People need someone to look up to
    I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
    A lonely place to be
    So I learned to depend on me

    I decided long ago
    Never to walk in anyone's shadows
    If I fail, if I succeed
    At least I will live as I believe
    No matter what they take from me
    They can't take away my dignity

    Chorus:
    Because the greatest love of all
    Is happening to me
    I found the greatest love of all
    Inside of me
    The greatest love of all
    Is easy to achieve
    Learning to love yourself
    It is the greatest love of all

    I believe the children are our future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside
    Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
    Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

    And I decided long ago
    Never to walk in anyone's shadows
    If I fail, if I succeed
    At least I will live as I believe
    No matter what they take from me
    They can't take away my dignity

    Chorus:
    Because the greatest love of all
    Is happening to me
    I found the greatest love of all
    Inside of me
    The greatest love of all
    Is easy to achieve
    Learning to love yourself
    It is the greatest love of all

    And if by chance, that special place
    That you've been dreaming of
    Leads you to a lonely place
    Find your strength in love

  21. #21
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    And some Random blogger from Baltimore of all places shouldnt be doing some random report like this.
    so another random blogger from another part of the country should? fuck bloggers. go get a fucking job.

    Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    booooooo!!!!!

    Where the hell else could I have had transferred into with a 2.67 GPA and still heard, "Wow, your (sic) so smart!" from hot pussy????????

    the one up front needs to quit holding in her stomach. its obvious and its much more unattractive.

  22. #22
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  23. #23
    old school emtgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,513

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    sdsu is amusing

    did they loose money?

    I have no idea

    did they make zomg profits?

    i have no idea,


    what do I believe?


    coachella will be back next year...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

    Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies


  24. #24
    old school dontfeedthebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Traveling man.
    Posts
    3,981

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    what do I believe?


    coachella will be back next year...
    Hooray! My daily mantra!!!!
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

  25. #25
    old school MarkO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I can hear them calling way from Oregon
    Posts
    4,603

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    I've toned it down a bit. Passed on the SubPop festival and passed on Pemberton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

  26. #26
    Lurker evosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    riverside 909
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    pretty sure they do cost analysis and such b4 pricing tickets. in fact they probably rake in slight profits at the least.

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie M Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,121

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    Hello to all the people who are always complaining that this message board is going downhill...you finally have your proof. Loose/Lose has finally reached our shores.

    There's a technical board I read that is so bad, you can see this in almost every thread. My sig over there is "Loose and Lose aren't even homonyms."

  28. #28
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: did coachella loose money?

    I love the word "homonyms"

Similar Threads

  1. Loose girls in thongs
    By DjVS23 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
  2. What if someone lets a lion loose?
    By JOE X in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
  3. Coachella prediction money pool
    By dorkfish in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
  4. money
    By Radz4 in forum Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 09:59 PM
  5. money
    By unit300021 in forum Questions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •