Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 707172737475767778 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2325

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

You're allowed to be sore about other stuff, though. Want to see a sock full of quarters?

No that's ok, I'll keep waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Just took back Jack Rakove's Revolutionaries to the library. He talkie talkie way too much to enjoy.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Just started re-reading Brave New World. Messssed up.
    Also picked up Animal Farm, but really wanted 1984. :/

Cool. Who's your Language Arts teacher and what period?

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Haha, I read these all in 10th grade.

Chyeah! Let's get a soda pop after class!

I am a bit behind so I am reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson now. In this 2012 novel he plays his libertarian fantasy by contriving characters to design a fantasy role playing game. Then, feeling lazy or nostalgic makes the bad guys the Russian mob. Eventually I hear he throws in Islamic terrorists, too but I don't think I'm going to continue.

There are too many strikes against this novel. I don't like fantasy. I don't like video games. I don't like libertarianism. I don't hate academia. And I don't like the casual misogyny that has crept (?) into his works.

One of the main characters, Zula, is a woman and she even has interiority... by which I mean she muses on how much she likes masculinity and how great it is that some man (like the strongest Stephenson avatar, Richard) will be manly and save her. Sorry to use the word "muses" but that reminds me: those that remember Charlene from Cryptonomicon will recognize The Five Muses (more Furies than Muses), five ex-girlfriends that haunt Richard's mind. They mostly come up when Richard and/or Stephenson wants to put a (woman's) face to some feminist/liberal/academia concept he's skewering/being revolted by/attacking.

He's a good writer and I loved Anathem (which was well abstracted, not happening in this universe) but this one is frustrating me. And part of me wants to stick out the two more weeks the last 800 pages would take but I just don't want to deal with all the baggage he's carrying.

anybody ever finish Infinite Jest? I'm 200 pages in and don't know if I should soldier forward or give up and read The Shining sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvny on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Just started re-reading Brave New World. Messssed up.
    Also picked up Animal Farm, but really wanted 1984. :/
    What's messed up about Brave New World? I try not to react to a book until I've finished it, though that's not always entirely possible. Like girldita indicated, those are some middle school/ high school classics, though I had to read Brave New World on my own time, and found it to be very much my type of story. I would suggest reading 1984 first, as it's not quite as whimsical a read as Brave New World, though that could just be me. Try Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 also. The book is MUCH better than the film. Also a big fan of his Martian Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    anybody ever finish Infinite Jest? I'm 200 pages in and don't know if I should soldier forward or give up and read The Shining sequel.
    Soldier forward. Although I think I finally got hooked about 100 pages in, so maybe it's just not for you? Give it another 100. Amongst all the obfuscation and footnotes and vocabulary words-of-the-day, there are some really memorable, direct passages that rank among the finest in literature (especially some of the stuff about addiction) even if piecing the whole thing together doesn't seem very fun to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Soldier forward. Although I think I finally got hooked about 100 pages in, so maybe it's just not for you? Give it another 100. Amongst all the obfuscation and footnotes and vocabulary words-of-the-day, there are some really memorable, direct passages that rank among the finest in literature (especially some of the stuff about addiction) even if piecing the whole thing together doesn't seem very fun to you.
    I will give it another 100 pages. It has made me laugh out loud several times and do like some of the characters (though some I loathe when I see it's their section coming up). That 25-page footnote nearly killed me.

(Almost) every character becomes worthwhile by the end of the book. The first time I tried reading it I wasn't sold, but my second go through completely hooked my within 200-250 pages. The long footnotes can be annoying, but they can also be really enjoyable diversions or elucidations on points that you don't realize until later. The footnote with the filmography is extremely helpful to build an understanding of the larger timeline, for example, and to describe the years in subsidized time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    (Almost) every character becomes worthwhile by the end of the book. The first time I tried reading it I wasn't sold, but my second go through completely hooked my within 200-250 pages. The long footnotes can be annoying, but they can also be really enjoyable diversions or elucidations on points that you don't realize until later. The footnote with the filmography is extremely helpful to build an understanding of the larger timeline, for example, and to describe the years in subsidized time.
    Plus some of those film titles and descriptions (and the fucked up recurring actors) really makes me appreciate the father. My god, what a lunatic genius. It's starting to remind me of A Confederacy of Dunces, which is my all-time favorite read.

So glad I've finally found people who have finished it.

There's a site with detailed annotations for every page that explains some of the more obscure references and defines some of the deep cut words. It's an invaluable resource for making it through that book.

http://infinitejest.wallacewiki.com/...t_Page_by_Page

This is useful too:

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    There's a site with detailed annotations for every page that explains some of the more obscure references and defines some of the deep cut words. It's an invaluable resource for making it through that book.

http://infinitejest.wallacewiki.com/...t_Page_by_Page

This is useful too:

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215
    Thanks so much. It really is a different way of reading fiction.

Finished another 30 pages last night and think I can do this.

Keep going! If I can do it, you can do it! Such a terrific book.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

The wheelchair assassins crack my shit up.

Piper Kerman – Orange is the new black

Prison cheesecake

1. Prepare a crust of crushed graham crackers mixed with 4 pats of margarine stolen from the dining hall. Bake it in a Tupperware bowl for about a minute in the microwave and allow it to cool and harden.

2. Take 1 full round of laughing cow cheese, smash it with a fork, and mix with a cup of vanilla pudding until smooth. Naturally mix in 1 can of creamora, even though it seems gross. Beat viciously until smooth. Add lemon juice from the squeeze bottle until the mixture starts to thicken. Note. This will use most of the plastic lemon.

3. Pour into the bowl atop the crust and put on ice in your Bunkie’s cleaning bucket to chill until ready to eat.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I must admit that I don't read a great deal of poetry. I'm almost always drawn to novels, but at the urging of a few friends, I picked up Jack Gilbert's Collected Poems last week. Total knock-out. I found more than a few of the poems deeply moving. They're often bleak and painful works dealing with death, separation and solitude, but there's also a lovely juxtaposition of the lyrical and the everyday in so many of them. When thumbing through the book, this was the first poem I stopped on. I was instantly hooked.

The Abandoned Valley | Jack Gilbert
    Can you understand being alone so long
    you would go out in the middle of the night
    and put a bucket into the well
    so you could feel something down there
    tug at the other end of the rope?

I'm trying this book again. I've had it on my shelf for several years, tried reading it long ago but gave up quickly. I'm about 60 pages in now.

We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

just in time for the holidays

Amazon - Horny Ghost Of Osama Bin Laden: Rise Of The Ghost

Simply stated, this book is a masterpiece that will surely go down as a classic for the ages to sit along side such literary mainstays as The Great Gatsby, Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, Hitler's Homosexual Zombie Corpse, and The Grapes of Wrath. It's difficult to convey the sheer genius of this book without ruining the nuances and mysteries it contains, but one thing that deserves special mention is that the imagery of Osama's ghost is incredibly layered and complex serving to become analogies for many things all at once. On the surface he seems superficial and nothing more than a B rate movie monster, but readily apparent is that he also represents the futility of living in a modern era. Upon re-reading, one discovers that even that is only a veil for the inadequacies of a mother's love in an era of modern technology. Even further down the rabbit hole however, it becomes unavoidable that at his core, Osama's horny ghost is a simple message, "Love each other"'
    Last edited by Baby Sandwich; 10-09-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I'm trying this book again. I've had it on my shelf for several years, tried reading it long ago but gave up quickly. I'm about 60 pages in now.
    spoiler alert: they all die in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Funny, I don't remember Hitler's Homosexual Zombie Corpse in any English classes.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I read that with my 7th graders, and they really seem to love it. Quite a discussion starter.

This'll make most of you giggle continuously for ~2 days of reading.

Picked up Guillermo Del Toro's "The Strain" used at Amoeba. anyone read this book and/or the followups?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

About to start Vladimir Bartol’s ‘The Alamut’ featuring an abundance of hashish, “living dagger” boy assassins, ancient Persian empires, crazed Mongols, remote mountaintop fortresses, hashish. *Hold on*.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Any authorities on John O'Hara in the house? He was in my father's top three authors and I'm feeling a passionate need to return to a more classic style of modern American literature so he seems like a good option, but can't really recall the specific works Pops was most fond of. I remember Appointment in Samara being mentioned a couple of times. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post

This'll make most of you giggle continuously for ~2 days of reading.
    Really like the cover. Will check this out!

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mystery book? I haven't read many, if any at all. I just got an urge to read one as of late, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .