Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 68697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2327

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

I had written off Hemingway because I had only been forced to read "The Old Man and the Sea" and hated it. I just finished "To Have and To Have Not" and loved it, though. Any further recommendations? Any one that knows me knows I am not well read besides maybe comics, so please take it easy on the dickhead bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

The only other one I've fully read was The Sun Also Rises, which was always a great novel in my mind. I'd also suggest re-trying The Old Man and the Sea at some point, because it's much better when you want to read it than when you have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

We had to read A Farewell To Arms in high school. I had also written Hemingway off, but we really dug into that and there was so much below the surface I wasn't catching. He's a very easy read but it takes a lot of probing to catch the fullness of what he saying. He's also notorious for his short stories. We had to delve into "Hills Like White Elephants" and "A Clean Well-Lighted Place" for some class in film school and those are both really fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good biography of Winston Churchill that isn't a $75 box set?
    My father really liked the first two volumes of the $75 boxed set if that means anything.

Also I should remember to get him the third volume for his birthday. I bet he hasn't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I had written off Hemingway because I had only been forced to read "The Old Man and the Sea" and hated it. I just finished "To Have and To Have Not" and loved it, though. Any further recommendations? Any one that knows me knows I am not well read besides maybe comics, so please take it easy on the dickhead bullshit.
    The latter is the only one I really liked. He's not my thing.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I'm a big fan of his short stories, so you might pick up a copy of those. That would give you something manageable and easy to quit if it turns out not to be your thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Me three with the short stories... I read this all in one night. Particularly love the stories revolving around his Nick Adams character.

So I bought quite a few books recently for some summer readin'.. which one should I start with?

Miss Lonelyhearts/The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
    Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.
    Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
    Lolita by Nabokov
    The Sirens of Titan and Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I love my Kindle PaperWhite, has a long battery life, several days worth.
    I bought Susie a Kindle HD Fire a few months ago for her BD and she loves it. I decided to do away with mobile electronic devices cept for photography so I have no clue...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Tropic of Cancer.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Miss Lonelyhearts/Day of the Locust is a quick and breezy read. Those are all great choices, though.....I'd say start with Lolita.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Yeah I think I'm gonna start with Day of the Locust. I bought it without knowing the "plot" (the cover looked really cool) and now after researching it sounds really interesting.

Oh and a little recommendation. Robert talked about it in here I think. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Anyone interested in a really great contemporary read should check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The 13th Floor Elevators album is always so easy to spot in a collection. That book sounds very interesting.
    Old post I realize. Only you would catch that. Big Pink jumped out at me .....cr****

I don't read a lot but The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov blew me away ....

BTW to understand the series, you would need to read them all I think.

List of books within the Foundation Universe

The Author's Note of Prelude to Foundation contains Asimov's suggested reading order for his science fiction books:[19]

The Complete Robot (1982) and/or I, Robot (1950)
    Caves of Steel (1954)
    The Naked Sun (1957)
    The Robots of Dawn (1983)
    Robots and Empire (1985)
    The Stars, Like Dust (1951)
    The Currents of Space (1952)
    Pebble in the Sky (1950)
    Prelude to Foundation (1988)
    Note: Forward the Foundation (1993) was not yet published, but would have followed Prelude.
    Foundation (1951)
    Foundation and Empire (1952)
    Second Foundation (1953)
    Foundation's Edge (1982)
    Foundation and Earth (1986)
    Last edited by canexplain; 06-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I've been stuck in the same place of 1q84 for 5 days now.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but this is a perfect poolside, beach, summer read.

featuring Agent Orange.

Awaiting Susan Sontag Against Interpretation Essays in the mail and biding time with more 1001 Arabian Nights stories such as when, after catching her husband laying with the cookmaid, a rich woman searched for and found a lowly common man off the streets to take home as revenge. His dirty body was bathed by her slave girls, fed, made love with the rich woman, and paid fifty gold dinar coins wrapped in a handkerchief to take home. After eight straight days of this repetitious visiting, and the temporary arrival and departure from her husband who had been traveling, she told the common man "I swore an oath that I assuredly would do adultery with the foulest and filthiest man in Baghdad...Spent four days going round about the city in quest of one who should answer to this description, but found none fouler nor filthier than thy good self". Dang, that's cold.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I've been stuck in the same place of 1q84 for 5 days now.
    I have a bookmark resting within the pages of Chapter 10 for almost two years now. I just got tired of slogging through page after page, and gave up trying to finish 1Q84.

I recently finished Joyland by Stephen King. It was a good book. The only downside was that I started reading it thinking it was a horror/thriller, so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I didn't go into it with that mindset.

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.
    Read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

No.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Typical Gaiman, child stumbles into the supernatural, conquers evildoears and learns about himself. Beautifully written, the house/town is based on Neil's own childhood and he wrote it for his wife (Amanda Palmer), it's a great quick read.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/9 Operators@Echo - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I'm here to share the exciting news with RageAgainsttheAoki and any other Zadie Smith fan that she's writing a sci fi novel.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Over the past three nights I read the Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. It's a humorous dark western set in the gold rush era featuring two paid assassins tracking a job from Oregon down to San Francisco. It's excellent, funny yet heavy and full of weird quirk. Highly recommended.

I'm here to share the exciting news with RageAgainsttheAoki and any other Zadie Smith fan that she's writing a sci fi novel.
    Hmm. I, um, I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm intrigued. I suppose now that the Supreme Court has announced the end of racism and inequity, Smith probably has to find new subject matter.

Just finished The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Really enjoyed it. Roy certainly knows how to make the English language incredibly colorful.

Tonight I'm starting Dreadful, David Margolick's new biography of forgotten mid-century American novelist John Horne Burns.

I'm quite enjoying this as a coffee table book, 75% off at Barnes & Noble right now.

Just picked up Beyond Belief, the story of the niece of the man that took over for L Ron Hubbard as the head of Scientology after L Ron died. She gradually left the faith, after spending her entire life in it, and committing herself to the Sea Org from age 7. I'm only a few chapters in but it's pretty interesting so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I just recently finally finished Imperial Bedrooms, Bret Easton Ellis's sequel to Less Than Zero. I have owned this book since it came out in paperback, well over a year and a half ago. It has taken this long to finish--despite being quite short as novels go--because it was so fucking tedious that the only time I ever read any of it were circumstances where I found myself stuck somewhere in absolutely desperate need of reading material and it was one book that stayed in my car.

Less Than Zero has always been my least favorite of his works (I have a great deal of affection for the man and his writing, though there are several places where he deserves to be fairly criticized even in his best works) and when the initial announcement was made that his next work was going to be a sequel to it all I could think was, "WHY? WHAT IN THE FUCK WOULD POSSIBLY MAKE YOU WANT TO REVISIT THIS COMPLETELY VAPID, CHARACTERLESS FUCKING SCENE THAT YOU'D CREATED WHEN YOU WERE JUST A COLLEGE STUDENT. YOU COCKSUCKER."

If you liked Less Than Zero, you're a dumb fuck, but you'll probably like Imperial Bedrooms too.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Gone Girl...that crazy bitch
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Fuck, I only have 3 weeks of break.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    If you liked Less Than Zero, you're a dumb fuck.
    Full stop. That book was horrible. Especially when compared to some of his other works.

Telegraph Avenue - kareem mother fucking abdul jabbar
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon