Page 70 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2327

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

This is true. The sloth has a disgusting BRAVO TV habit and I'm a known enabler.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Just finished 'Doctor Fischer of Geneva or the Bomb Party' last night. Quality name, average book. A bit of a 'Great Gatsby' knockoff, especially in regard to the mansion, and couldn't help using the same imagery.

Reading No Reservations by Anthony Bourdain.

He's like the chef version of Hunter S. Thompson.

thought it was cool that Bourdain tried and filmed his Yage' experience for the TV show. Check out 'The Yage Letters' by WSB as he was one of the original American explorers of it way back when. Not the most pain free drug...at least initially.

Just bought this book because I feel like even if I never read it, having it on my coffee table will encourage wonderful conversation.

I'll probably read it.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Last night I finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I had started it a few years ago and just didn't give a shit, but this time through I was captivated by the story. It's a tale of two sisters from a wealthy family growing up in the 20th century and their perils, interspersed with what seems to be a book called The Blind Assassin telling the story of two lovers who tell each other a science fiction epic between love-making sessions. The book slowly focuses in between these two stories, switching between them rapidly until the denouement reveals a twist that you'll probably see coming and another that you probably wouldn't. Quite a bit more developed than the Handmaid's Tale, I really liked it.

This morning I started The Psychic Soviet, a collection of political-ish writings by Ian Svenonius of The Nation of Ulysses and The Make Up and Chain and the Gang and other bands. His theories are so over the top and ridiculous that they can be hilarious at times (all cultures favor certain beverages as symbols of the nations they have subjugated and conquered) yet he writes them so coherently and convincingly that certain truths ring through. It's a very smart and subversive book, like the rest of his work.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Reading No Reservations by Anthony Bourdain.

He's like the chef version of Hunter S. Thompson.
    No Reservations, the book, is good, about as interesting as the TV show (which I like a lot). But if you haven't read it, pick up his Kitchen Confidential. That's like mainlining... before he was a star, talking about the industry, seriously interesting shit. You'll never look at sunday brunch the same again.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So . . . Gone Girl or We Need to Talk About Kevin?

I really enjoyed Zeitoun, which one next?

I'm very interested in We Need to Talk About Kevin. Read that and present a book report to us, please.

Just finished Eggers' new one, A Hologram for the King, which I loved. Actually, I'm kinda fascinated by it. Not much happens, but it's a serious page-turner. Not sure how Eggers pulled it off, but I plan to read it again to try and figure it out.

And Gunz, read Gone Girl if you just want a solid thriller and Kevin if you want something intricate and deeply disturbing. They're both good, but they're good in very different ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Last night I finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I had started it a few years ago and just didn't give a shit, but this time through I was captivated by the story. It's a tale of two sisters from a wealthy family growing up in the 20th century and their perils, interspersed with what seems to be a book called The Blind Assassin telling the story of two lovers who tell each other a science fiction epic between love-making sessions. The book slowly focuses in between these two stories, switching between them rapidly until the denouement reveals a twist that you'll probably see coming and another that you probably wouldn't. Quite a bit more developed than the Handmaid's Tale, I really liked it.
    Good to hear. That is on my list.

I am maybe halfway through Ben Marcus' The Flame Alphabet; it is interesting but I am still not sure where things are going. Which, I suppose, is unsurprising for Marcus.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Ooooo... I like this group. You guys know things, although you're technically limited. I used to read many novels each year. Mostly generic horror, and future fiction. I'm far too picky for most books and writing styles, which I am sorry for. It's my personal limitation. Is anyone here in the process of completing a novel? I just got a smith-corona super silent passed down to me. It's a beautiful machine, and I'm sort of intimidated by it. Ideas have been coming more and more lately (writing is nothing new, but I usually keep it to verses), and I'd like to give it a little attention. Getting back into a reading routine would certainly be healthy, but it seems so much harder to find good books than it does good music. I've basically exhausted Stephen King. Koontz seems like a made for tv movie. Kerouac is pleasant (sprawling endless nonsense has its place in my heart, (fucking) obviously. Walking/ hitching/ driving/ travelling stories are the most special to me. The Stand, The Talisman, On the Road, The Martian Chronicles, The Long Walk), relative, and most relevant. Heller. Huxley. Orwell. Bradbury.

I'd like to get back into reading for a stint before I start putting depth to any story. The message board and random news sources don't cut it. Any suggestions for novels/ articles/ authors/ crazies to look into between now and then-now? I'm sort of obsessed with zombies (through dreams) and time travel (through numbers/ patterns), though I don't plan on writing about either subject at any length until necessary. The machine must be fed. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Good to hear. That is on my list.
    You'll enjoy it. It takes a bit to really get going with the way it transitions between narrative styles, but once you get into the groove of things it's a brisk read. It definitely made me want to pick up more of her work, as I loved the Handmade's Tale all those years ago when I read it.

I'm very interested in We Need to Talk About Kevin. Read that and present a book report to us, please.
    I opted for this one first. I will report back when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Ooooo... I like this group. You guys know things, although you're technically limited. I used to read many novels each year. Mostly generic horror, and future fiction. I'm far too picky for most books and writing styles, which I am sorry for. It's my personal limitation. Is anyone here in the process of completing a novel? I just got a smith-corona super silent passed down to me. It's a beautiful machine, and I'm sort of intimidated by it. Ideas have been coming more and more lately (writing is nothing new, but I usually keep it to verses), and I'd like to give it a little attention. Getting back into a reading routine would certainly be healthy, but it seems so much harder to find good books than it does good music. I've basically exhausted Stephen King. Koontz seems like a made for tv movie. Kerouac is pleasant (sprawling endless nonsense has its place in my heart, (fucking) obviously. Walking/ hitching/ driving/ travelling stories are the most special to me. The Stand, The Talisman, On the Road, The Martian Chronicles, The Long Walk), relative, and most relevant. Heller. Huxley. Orwell. Bradbury.

I'd like to get back into reading for a stint before I start putting depth to any story. The message board and random news sources don't cut it. Any suggestions for novels/ articles/ authors/ crazies to look into between now and then-now? I'm sort of obsessed with zombies (through dreams) and time travel (through numbers/ patterns), though I don't plan on writing about either subject at any length until necessary. The machine must be fed. >>>
    I expect the professor responsible for your Freshman Lit reading list would happily supply you with the list for the course continuation.

In earnest this time:

You may enjoy Stanislaw Lem.

So what should I do next?

My options are:

Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock'n'Roll Group - Ian Svenonius (His allegedly hilarious and insightful book on rock groups)

Three Novels - Samuel Beckett (Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnameable, three increasingly free-form books that supposedly go together thematically)

Theodore Rex - Edmund Morris (The second in a three-part biography series on Theodore Roosevelt)

IQ84 - Haruki Murakami (??? Just know it was highly recommended by people I trust)

Supernatural Strategies sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I expect the professor responsible for your Freshman Lit reading list would happily supply you with the list for the course continuation.
    lol

We were pretending for a moment that I respect any of you enough to ask for suggestions based on a select amount of personal information. My bad. I'll pluck around on the typewriter in private

My options are:

Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock'n'Roll Group - Ian Svenonius (His allegedly hilarious and insightful book on rock groups)

Three Novels - Samuel Beckett (Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnameable, three increasingly free-form books that supposedly go together thematically)

Theodore Rex - Edmund Morris (The second in a three-part biography series on Theodore Roosevelt)

IQ84 - Haruki Murakami (??? Just know it was highly recommended by people I trust)
    Have you read Murakami? He's a high school girl's favorite. I actually found some of it to be pretty cool, but I'll never go back. Just like Bright Eyes, heh.

Is a novelization of the Whoopi Goldberg movie of the same name up for consideration?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Nope, but I've heard decent things about IQ84. Post-apocalyptic storylines are always going to draw me in, and that seems to be a constant comment on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Is a novelization of the Whoopi Goldberg movie of the same name up for consideration?
    Hah. I DO have the novelization for Snakes on a Plane. Mostly because, hot damn, who would have ever thought they'd wring a novel out of it.

True story: In film school, one of the actresses that starred in one of our shitty student films had also starred in the direct-to-video Snakes On A Train. /brushwithfame

If you like Theodore Roosevelt stuff I recommend The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It is about his exploration of unmapped tributary of the Amazon with Cāndido Mariano da Silva Rondon.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Nope, but I've heard decent things about IQ84. Post-apocalyptic storylines are always going to draw me in, and that seems to be a constant comment on the book.
    Definitely sounds worth checking out then. Not having a college library at my immediate disposal is a bummer. That's what I get for "independent studies."

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    If you like Theodore Roosevelt stuff I recommend The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It is about his exploration of unmapped tributary of the Amazon with Cāndido Mariano da Silva Rondon.
    Got that one on the lineup.

Keith Richards - Life. Brilliant.

So, I guess this might be the best place to put this. I thought about reteaching myself a lot of math (algebra, geometry, trig, calculus) that I learned in high school but forgot about. I've always kind of enjoyed math, and I've got all sorts of time to kill, especially the two nights a week I work dispatch, so I thought it might be a better use of my time than doing puzzle books or whatever. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for math books? I mean, I'm sure I could find some high school text book somewhere (I still have my calculus one from HS but I need to brush up on the others first), but I thought I'd see if anyone knows of anything better?

In earnest this time:

You may enjoy Stanislaw Lem.
    Thanks. Have eye on these potentially tasty treats: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190803377641...84.m1423.l2649 . Star Diaries and The Investigation combo.