Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

A couple days ago, I finished Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and then watched Blade Runner. It was awesome.

I decided to read "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis and wowza!!! So much better than the movie (also so much more graphic). I'm thinking I need to veer towards something much lighter, like the Madden '08 game manual. In all seriousness, I'm going back and re-reading "The Castle" by Kafka. I re-read "The Trial" while at the beach earlier this summer and realized how poignant it was the second time around, especially when placed in the proper context (i.e. this crazy hack legal system of the past decade or so). As an English major with a taste for eccentricity, I probably need to hop aboard the Tom Robbins train soon. Never read a book by him, though he's always at the top of my "to read" list... Any advice where to start with Robbins?
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    As an English major with a taste for eccentricity, I probably need to hop aboard the Tom Robbins train soon. Never read a book by him, though he's always at the top of my "to read" list... Any advice where to start with Robbins?
    I'd go with either Hannah's pick, Still Life With Woodpecker, or mine, Another Roadside Attraction. Of course, now that I think about it, Skinny Legs and All is also pretty great, if you want a book in which two of the main characters are a spoon and a can of beans. Or Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, one of the rare books written entirely in second person. You could probably pick any one of his at random and not be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie

Skinny Legs and All pissed me off. Fuck Robbins.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Or Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, one of the rare books written entirely in second person.
    This just made me want to read this and I've only heard about this guy from this board and others like it. I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    A couple days ago, I finished Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and then watched Blade Runner. It was awesome.
    Beautiful. One of my favorite books, and one of my favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's historical fiction about the search for the North-West Passage in the late 1840's. I anything by Dan Simmons.
    I love historical fiction. One of the best that i have read was "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I tried to read more of his stuff, and it was complete shit. Pillars, however, was masterful. HIGHLY recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    I love historical fiction. One of the best that i have read was "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I tried to read more of his stuff, and it was complete shit. Pillars, however, was masterful. HIGHLY recommend.
    That sounds really familiar. Synopsis? I may have read it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    If you like PKD try and get his book called Counter Clock World.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

Pillars of the Earth was also a favorite.

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged. Next up - Kite Runner, followed by some Bret Easton Ellis and Dave Eggers. And Kafka.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    That sounds really familiar. Synopsis? I may have read it too.
    Takes place in 12th century England, if memory serves correct. Main story is centered around the building of a cathedral in a fictional town. Takes place over 50 years, or so. Very simple premise, but the relationships are fantastic, as is the detail on the actual construction and architecture. Lots of politics come into play, too. Both church and government.
    I loved it because I was very into old architecture at the time, as well as that period of history.

Yeah, I read that. Liked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This just made me want to read this and I've only heard about this guy from this board and others like it. I think.
    I believe "Bright Lights, Big City" by Jay McInerney was written entirely in second person, also. I remember loving that book because of that... I also referred to coke as Bolivian Marching Powder for about 6 months after that. Ah, to be young and carefree again.

As for Robbins, I will start with Hannah's rec (which was seconded by Roberto), then I'll move onto "Another Roadside Attraction"... I'll post here when I finish the first. Strange that out of his novels, I hadn't heard much about either of those. As a big fan of the Beat writers (especially Kerouac), I always cringe when people neglect to mention "Big Sur", "Dharma Bums" or "the Subterraneans" or hell, even "Tristessa", "Desolation Angels" etc...

It's always "On the Road" and "Howl and other Poems" by Ginsberg, maybe "Naked Lunch" by Burroughs, but never those other gems. When I think of Robbins I always think "Even Cowgirls get the Blues" and "Jitterbug Perfume" (the latter because I had a friend in college that was such a fan of that book... I'll finally pay my dues to Mr Robbins. I'm giddy, now... Thanks for the recs.
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by lmntz4 View Post
    Pillars of the Earth was also a favorite.

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged. Next up - Kite Runner, followed by some Bret Easton Ellis and Dave Eggers. And Kafka.
    get mentally prepared for Easton Ellis. Seriously, stay away from drugs when reading him.

I need to check out that damn Kite Runner book. I probably almost bought it about 100 times and B&N, then put it down and bought something else.
    -----------------------

Gravity's Rainbow is in my top ten of all time. I liked V but it was more difficult for me to follow; it seemed a little less smooth. It might be a better entry point for Pynchon's real novels, though. Either would be overwhelmingly awesome.

I have at times considered reading some Rushdie but it's never happened so I have nothing to add there, really.
    Oh, "Midnight's Children" by Rushdie is an absolute must-read. Skip "The Satanic Verses" and go straight to "Midnight's Children". Do not pass GO, do not collect $200...

In all seriousness, I haven;t read that book in 5-6 years (since undergrad), but it was wonderful.
    -----------------------

Reading Dave Eggers is like having someone shouting constantly at you. I found his ranting to be really grating after a while.

What's "Big Sur"?

It might take me awhile to finish, but I'll swap it with you for something else when I'm done. If you want.

Andre Dubus "Selected Stories". It's a re-read because I haven't bought anything new lately, but dear God, he was good.

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    Reading Dave Eggers is like having someone shouting constantly at you. I found his ranting to be really grating after a while.
    I think he's funny. Although not in the same way that HE thinks he's funny.

Someone just handed me Al Gore's "The Assault On Reason". Anybody going to stop me?

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post

What's "Big Sur"?
    It's a Kerouac novel. Possibly his best work. Certainly the loneliest... Very sad portrayal of the newly christened "King of the Beats" trying to avoid his newfound fame, holing up in a cabin and basically driving himself crazy, drinking himself to death, etc.
    -----------------------

Hey nothingman, was that the one where he decided to be a Forest Ranger or fire lookout or something for awhile? That was a good book.

I loved "Pillars of the Earth" too. Nice to see it mentioned here. I haven't met anyone else who has read it!

Edit: I'm reading Margaret Atwood, "The Blind Assassin" and just finished Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking."
    Last edited by matildawong; 08-08-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Coachella Junkie

I'm reading the Sirens of Titan right now. It's very entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    If you like PKD try and get his book called Counter Clock World.
    My roommate is trying to get me to read Ubik soon. I haven't heard about Counter Clock World, but I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    Hey nothingman, was that the one where he decided to be a Forest Ranger or fire lookout or something for awhile? That was a good book.
    That was the first part of "Desolation Angels"... Ok, that may be the loneliest novel by Kerouac, at least that first part where he's a fire lookout for Mt. Hozomeen. I want to say the first part is called "Desolation in Solitude", the second part is "Desolation in the World and examines the time after Kerouac comes down from his fire lookout post and still feels lost and lonely in the world, despite the constant partying with the other typical Kerouac characters. Then the "Passing Through..." series takes him to Mexico, Tangiers (where he semi-overdoses on opium), New York and a couple other places...

The first part is lonely but hopeful, while "Big Sur" has a feeling of impending doom. I think one of my favorite Kerouac lines is somewhere near the beginning of "Desolation Angels". It closes a chapter of typical Kerouac fretting over the meaning of it all and reads, "But I will be the Void, moving without having moved." I could recite the entire last paragraph of "On the Road" as it is simply the best closing paragraph of any novel, in my opinion, and one of the most beautiful paragraphs ever written in general, but I love the simplicity of "But I will be the Void, moving without having moved". If recollection serves correctly, the entire first few chapters deal with the Void, and it is certainly a recurring theme throughout the book. "Desolation Angels" and "Passing Through" were originally intended to be two separate works, again, if memory serves correct, as the tone of each is completely different.
    -----------------------

Thanks nothingman.

Wow. It sure is quiet in here.

Like a library or something.

I am enjoying this very much.

So anyway, I was thinking of adding another element to this thread. Favorite excerpts and quotes from books you enjoy. Or books you don't enjoy, whatever. Just stuff that moves you in some way. What do you guys think? It could be as long or as short as you want. What could be cool about it is that you could just pop in, leave something in italics, with no explanation necessary. We'd all know what you'd be doing. Kind of like a reading. Just cite the author maybe. Here, I'll start. This is one of my all-time favorite endings:

I do not feel the peace I once did: not with God, nor the earth, or anyone on it. I have begun to prefer this state, to remember with fondness the other one as a period of peace I neither earned nor deserved. Now in the mornings while I watch purple finches driving larger titmice from the feeder, I say to Him: I would do it again. For when she knocked on my door, then called me, she woke what had flown dormant in my blood since her birth, so that what rose from the bed was not a stable owner or a Catholic or any other Luke Ripley I had lived with for a long time, but the father of a girl.

And He says: I am a Father too.

Yes, I say, as You are a Son Whom this morning I will receive; unless You kill me on the way to church, then I trust You will receive me. And as a Son You made Your plea.

Yes, He says, but I would not lift the cup.

True, and I don't want You to lift it from me either. And if one of my sons had come to me that night, I would have phoned the police and told them to meet us with an ambulance at the top of the hill.

Why? Do you love them less?

I tell Him no, it is not that I love them less, but that I could bear the pain of watching and knowing my sons' pain, could bear it with pride as they took the whips and nails. But You never had a daughter and, if You had, You could not have borne her passion.

So, He says, you love her more than you love Me.

I love her more than I love truth.

Then you love in weakness, He says.

As You love me, I say, and I go with an apple or carrot out to the barn.

-Andre Dubus, "A Father's Story"

ok...

I've been trying to read "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" for months.

It's good, but I just don't have the time. And yes, I know I post crap on message boards all the time, but I do that while waiting for bits of video to render.