Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2278

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Anyone get books for Christmas?
    I got a Lincoln bio and another bio and the 33 1/3 book on Fear of Music and this:

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

I bought With the Animals for myself. I bought Zizek's Less Than Nothing for my partner so I'll be sneaking peeks at that. I don't want to finish it before he does.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I got a Lincoln bio and another bio and the 33 1/3 book on Fear of Music and this:

The 13th Floor Elevators album is always so easy to spot in a collection. That book sounds very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

oh also I got The Cheesemonger's Kitchen and some interesting looking thing called The Recipe Project by One Ring Zero, which combines recipes and playlists. I don't know who One Ring Zero are (I mean, they're a band, two guys, but other than that, I don't know), but the book is cool. From it I have learned that David Chang at Momofuku has a playlist in his restaurant that includes The Replacements, The Clash, The Kinks, Silver Jews, Palace Music, 801, and Can. I now want to eat there more than I did before, and I have been wanting to eat there for a while now. The book also includes a page called "A Wine Lover's Guide to Mexican Music". This may be the perfect gift.

edit: I just realized this book comes with a CD with a song for each recipe. The music is made by the band and the lyrics are the recipes, word for word. That might be a little much.
    Last edited by TomAz; 12-27-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Hmph to non-fiction, non-literary books. Hmph I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

I managed to read 65 books in 2012, split between the adult stuff I read for myself and the Young Adult Lit I mainly read for work (although the best of it is strong enough to stand on its own). The best:

Grown-Up Division: Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Young Adult Division: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

That's a shitload of books.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Up next is Feeding Back: Conversations With Alternative Guitarists From Proto-Punk to Post-Rock. Interviews with J Mascis, Bob Mould, Tom Verlaine of Television, Johhny Marr, Keith Levene, and many more. Mike Watt endorses it and says it's one of the best books he's read on the matter. So I'm super excited for this!
    Just finished this. Fucking great, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes those names listed above. (Paging Bmack). The author (David Todd) also interviews Lee Ranaldo, Rowland S. Howard, Jason Pierce, Kim & Kelley Deal, James Williamson, and Lenny Kaye, and more. As well as Michio Kurihara, Christian Fennesz, and Ben Chasney (Never heard of these guys, definitely have to check them out). I like how the book didn't have too much gear talk, just mostly focused on the guitar as a songwriting tool among other things.

Up next is As I Lay Dying by Faulkner. Hyped to finally read this

Just finished this. Fucking great, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes those names listed above. (Paging Bmack). The author (David Todd) also interviews Lee Ranaldo, Rowland S. Howard, Jason Pierce, Kim & Kelley Deal, James Williamson, and Lenny Kaye, and more. As well as Michio Kurihara, Christian Fennesz, and Ben Chasney (Never heard of these guys, definitely have to check them out). I like how the book didn't have too much gear talk, just mostly focused on the guitar as a songwriting tool among other things.
    This sounds awesome awesome awesome.

Michio Kurihara is the guitarist and primary voice behind Ghost, the japanese psych band (not to be confused with approximately 5000 other bands with the same name). Hypnotic Underworld is their magnum opus, one of the most dense and heady psych albums you'll ever hear. He's also been Boris' second guitarist for near on a decade.

Christian Fennesz is an experimental wunderkind. Just get Endless Summer and we'll talk afterwards.

Ben Chasny goes by the name Six Organs of Admittance. He does combinations of folk, psych and garage rock with tons of looping and some pretty intense song structures and volume changes. My favorite (and I'd say the most representative) Six Organs album is School of the Flower. He was also the lead guitarist on the last two Comets on Fire albums, which feature some of the best throwback psych/noise songwriting of the past decade. As a bonus, Comets on Fire reunited to play on the last Six Organs album, although I haven't yet heard it.

Up next is As I Lay Dying by Faulkner. Hyped to finally read this
    Love that book.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Grown-Up Division: Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Young Adult Division: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Which one should I start with?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    This sounds awesome awesome awesome.

Michio Kurihara is the guitarist and primary voice behind Ghost, the japanese psych band (not to be confused with approximately 5000 other bands with the same name). Hypnotic Underworld is their magnum opus, one of the most dense and heady psych albums you'll ever hear. He's also been Boris' second guitarist for near on a decade.

Christian Fennesz is an experimental wunderkind. Just get Endless Summer and we'll talk afterwards.

Ben Chasny goes by the name Six Organs of Admittance. He does combinations of folk, psych and garage rock with tons of looping and some pretty intense song structures and volume changes. My favorite (and I'd say the most representative) Six Organs album is School of the Flower. He was also the lead guitarist on the last two Comets on Fire albums, which feature some of the best throwback psych/noise songwriting of the past decade. As a bonus, Comets on Fire reunited to play on the last Six Organs album, although I haven't yet heard it.
    It's such a gem! Stumbled upon it at work and knew I had to snag it. Damn, thanks for the rundowns! Those three actually had the best sections in my opinion, especially Michio. His explanation on what inspired him to write Sunset Notes was perfect. I'm definitely gonna check that out. Endless Summer by Fennesz sounds amazing as well! Ahh these past months have been the best period for music discoveries in my entire life.

I finished With the Animals. It was okay. The translator admitted off the bat that the wordplay of the original couldn't translate. I think a literal translation with notes would have been better. As it is, it just gets old. You get used to the weird way he talks and there's not a lot else going on to keep it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Which one should I start with?
    Zeitoun is a quick read and will get you fired up as all hell. I loved that book.

Ditto. I loved Zeitoun. It's probably my favorite of all those I listed.

I'm currently in a weird "let's read books that were the inspiration for TV and movies" trend. I'm currently reading Elmore Leonard's Get Shorty, and before that I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which was also my first exposure to Philip K. Dick) and Dearly Devoted Dexter.

I enjoyed Electric Sheep, but in some ways I felt like I couldn't give it an honest read because I've seen Blade Runner so many times. I find the Dexter series interesting, but the author's strength isn't plotting, which is a problem for a thriller. He does a bang-up job with characterization – I actually prefer most of the characters in the books to their counterparts in the TV series, especially Dexter himself, who's darker and funnier – but the storytelling is sort of scattershot and secondary to Dexter's far more compelling internal monologue.

plodding through 'A Farewell to Arms' this afternoon and nearly finished on Book V's Chapter 39. At the same time trying to keep up with Hemingway's boozing. The original drinking game, right? Drink if he orders a beer to have with the morning papers, drink if he tells his woman he loves her, etc. Have a lot more potentially interesting ones in the queue:

Days and Nights by Konstantine Simonov
    Doctor Fischer of Geneva or the Bomb Party - Graham Greene
    The Delicate Prey by Bowles (although his last one was for the most part pretty gash)

so this finally arrived

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Ditto. I loved Zeitoun. It's probably my favorite of all those I listed.

I'm currently in a weird "let's read books that were the inspiration for TV and movies" trend. I'm currently reading Elmore Leonard's Get Shorty, and before that I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which was also my first exposure to Philip K. Dick) and Dearly Devoted Dexter.

I enjoyed Electric Sheep, but in some ways I felt like I couldn't give it an honest read because I've seen Blade Runner so many times. I find the Dexter series interesting, but the author's strength isn't plotting, which is a problem for a thriller. He does a bang-up job with characterization – I actually prefer most of the characters in the books to their counterparts in the TV series, especially Dexter himself, who's darker and funnier – but the storytelling is sort of scattershot and secondary to Dexter's far more compelling internal monologue.
    Androids Is the only instance I can think of where I enjoy the movie more than the book. The book is good but isn't nearly as gritty and dark as the movie.

Currently finishing up The World According to Garp and I absolutely love it. Next up is a choice between two books I got for Christmas: A Hologram For The King by Dave Eggars and Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. Any suggestions? I'll wind up reading both but unsure which one to start off with.

Do Androids is a very different work than the book, which has been the case for every PKD adaptation other than A Scanner Darkly (one could make an argument for Confessions... being close but). I think the book has a lot more interesting ideas and works well as a book; the film is one of my favorites and has just such a great mood.

You should read more Dick, Roberto. I would push Martian Time Slip, Ubik and V.A.L.I.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Thanks, John. I added a couple of his award-winners to my list (Flow My Tears and The Man in the High Castle), but I much prefer getting recommendations from someone I know whose taste I trust.

I should also add that in addition to Get Shorty I'm reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which I love and which is the most Ray Bradbury thing I've ever read not written by Bradbury himself.

Thanks gentleman. I have a new book. I'm so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    Androids Is the only instance I can think of where I enjoy the movie more than the book. The book is good but isn't nearly as gritty and dark as the movie.

Currently finishing up The World According to Garp and I absolutely love it. Next up is a choice between two books I got for Christmas: A Hologram For The King by Dave Eggars and Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. Any suggestions? I'll wind up reading both but unsure which one to start off with.
    I haven't read any Kidder, but I enjoyed A Hologram For the King. It's another of Eggers' thoughtful pieces about modern society. Of all his works, it reminded me the most of They Shall Know Our Velocity in that it's a bit unstable and unknowable much of the time. It was a good read.

Re-reading one of the Lovecraft collections and as much as I love him, his stories can get very repetitive. Curious news item -> some cult folklore stuff coinciding with first item -> further personal embroilment with odd goings on -> 20 pages about how the horror is indescribable and not of this world.

I've been trying to do a story a day by Borges but not quite keeping up. It's definitely a better approach than trying to plow through several at once. Short as they are, they pack in more kaleidoscopic ideas than many full length books (some of them pretty much are just his ideas for books condensed into faux-reviews). Completely confounding stuff, but delightfully so.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Re-reading one of the Lovecraft collections and as much as I love him, his stories can get very repetitive. Curious news item -> some cult folklore stuff coinciding with first item -> further personal embroilment with odd goings on -> 20 pages about how the horror is indescribable and not of this world.

I've been trying to do a story a day by Borges but not quite keeping up. It's definitely a better approach than trying to plow through several at once. Short as they are, they pack in more kaleidoscopic ideas than many full length books (some of them pretty much are just his ideas for books condensed into faux-reviews). Completely confounding stuff, but delightfully so.
    At the Mountains of Madness was a very enjoyable read for me.

On a similar note: Anyone here read House of Leaves?
    I am about 300 pages in and I am having a fantastic time reading it. Tedious? Yes at times, but I am just taking it all in stride and enjoying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I loved the main story of House of Leaves and was consistently annoyed by the story about Johnny or Joey or whoever the tattoo guy was. That book has the single best chase scene that will ever be in a novel though. If you haven't read it yet, you'll definitely know what I'm talking about as soon as you get to it.

I felt the same way. I thought the house story was fantastic and well written, and that the Johnny Truant "look at me I'm writing 'could of' and 'should of' so you can tell this character is a certain type of person" shit was extremely heavy-handed and boring.

I'm intentionally refraining from letting anything in this book annoy me, otherwise the thousand tangents, footnotes, side stories, and essays (some of which seemingly mean nothing) would make this book a very unpleasant read. Oddly enough, I find Johnny's stories refreshing/funny/sad/interesting.
    And I am assuming I haven't got to the chase scene yet, for the only chase I can think of is Holloway and his crew getting lost and being hunted for by Will and the two other guys.
    Oh and I appreciated the spoiler free comments from you two
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

It took me a few months mostly due to my own sloth but I finished W.G. Sebald's Austerlitz last night. I don't have much to say about it at the moment, but I'll recommend it to anyone interested in the construction of memory and its intersection with trauma. Or, you know, if you enjoy pages-long sentences and intentionally muddled narrative positioning.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

You can't just put the sloth in a cage while you read?

Cara can't read. Her sloth reads to her but her sloth has got hobbies, too, ya know.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.