Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2327

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

I ended up getting collections by Chekhov, O. Henry, Faulkner, and Cheever.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Good ones. I've never read any O. Henry. Cheever's "The Swimmer" is a classic short story - one that is discussed in every creative writing class, I'm sure. Does your Chekhov have "The Husband"? I don't know if that one is included in many of the collections, but it is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

When it comes to short story collections, I was completely remiss in not mentioning Harlan Ellison's The Essential Ellison. I've sort of outgrown him, but that book is in the top five books that directed my trajectory as reader.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    When it comes to short story collections, I was completely remiss in not mentioning Harlan Ellison's The Essential Ellison. I've sort of outgrown him, but that book is in the top five books that directed my trajectory as reader.
    YES.

My aunt gave me a signed copy for one of my bdays. Amazing.

I read The Road in a day and a half. It was pretty bleak and pretty good. I'm just happy to be caught up with the zeitgeist of 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

There's a new collection of previously unpublished Vonnegut (While Mortals Sleep) as of last week or so. I'm not starting it yet since I can pick up my ordered book club book tomorrow, but the first page of the first story feels immediately very Breakfast-y, which is a good sign. I didn't read the last posthumous collection, but I really liked Armageddon in Retrospect. Anybody else grab this or plan to? Thoughts?

Currently reading:

We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I finished David Foster Wallace's The Broom of the System. I thought it was alright. It had an awesome start, but it didn't do much for me down the road. By the end, I was just trying to finish it.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

ordered this last night for "name your price" niner. Have the prior one that went to '59.

100% Caffeinated

Blasted through Dave Eggers' Zeitoun, which was heartbreaking and enraging. I knew about the effects of Hurricane Katrina in an abstract way (news coverage of floods, looting, etc.), but Eggers' painstaking research and interviews with the title family brought it home in a way I never expected. And it certainly sheds some light on why we needed to be a little more outraged at Obama's recent decision re: the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. If Zeitoun teaches us anything, it's that it's all too possible.

Now I'm going to dive into Gravity's Rainbow, which I fully expect to still be wading through a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Now I'm going to dive into Gravity's Rainbow, which I fully expect to still be wading through a year from now.
    Let us know how you're doing with it. I was reading it in December, but didn't finish it before my extended library loan was over. I had a strange experience with the book. Every time I picked it up, it only took me a paragraph or two to get completely enraptured again. But, the second I put it down, I was never compelled to pick it up again. Even though I only made it less than half-way through (thus far), I'm still convinced that it's one of the most brilliant things I've read. I'm going to go back to it when done with the January book club selection and The Handmaid's Tale.

I read Gravity's Rainbow in the first couple weeks of January. It's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Definitely a chewy read at points, but very satisfying, even if I got lost more than a few times.

Just finished The Marriage Plot by Eugenides, it started slow, but when he gets into the Foster Wallace doppelganger's story more in-depth, it picks up. Really liked the ending as well.

Started Portnoy's Complaint today, and it's hilarious.

I read Gravity's Rainbow over the summer and loved it (parts of it, at least, as I read - but by the end, the whole of it).

I am going to resume Joyce's Ulysses. 414 pages down, 369 pages to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Local stationer Scout Books (producer of small Field Notes/Moleskine Cahier style pocket notebooks) is doing a cute thing with some classic short stories:

http://www.scoutbooks.com/shop/ameri...-subscription/
    They've finished this series and now are selling a boxed set. My paypal finger is itchy.

http://www.scoutbooks.com/shop/good-...horts-box-set/

I also sort of want one of the tiny bound copies of the Constitution, but they only come in sets of three. Three Constitutions is too many.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 02-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Starting The Handmaid's Tale tonight. Excited!

I loved that book.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

It was the only book I enjoyed back in high school English, when I hated to read.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Let us know how you're doing with it. I was reading it in December, but didn't finish it before my extended library loan was over. I had a strange experience with the book. Every time I picked it up, it only took me a paragraph or two to get completely enraptured again. But, the second I put it down, I was never compelled to pick it up again. Even though I only made it less than half-way through (thus far), I'm still convinced that it's one of the most brilliant things I've read. I'm going to go back to it when done with the January book club selection and The Handmaid's Tale.
    I'm a little over 100 pages into Gravity's Rainbow, and this is more or less how I feel. It's clearly brilliant, and I'd forgotten how funny Pynchon is, but I find it an easier book to admire than to love.

Keep at it and force yourself onward. As you approach the end, many of the wild mysteries start to unravel, and it keeps getting better and better.

I'm almost done with The Handmaid's Tale. Absolutely loving this book. Literally couldn't put it down last night. Stayed up way past my bedtime devouring chapter after chapter. If the books I have on hold don't become available this week, I think I'm going to move on to some Virgina Woolf. Where should one start? Mrs. Dalloway?

Hopefully Guedita won't yell at me for this one...

I just got done reading The Savage city. it was fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-City-Ra...0029674&sr=8-1
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtram View Post
    if you can't pull off getting drugs into a festival and consuming them, you don't deserve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wait. You like Cudi but you think Outkast is a one hit wonder.

Somebody shoot this fuck.

If the books I have on hold don't become available this week, I think I'm going to move on to some Virgina Woolf. Where should one start? Mrs. Dalloway?
    I had started Mrs. Dalloway, enjoyed it, and yet I did not finish it. (It was during undergrad, and I was just really busy.) But yeah, I think that one is probably the place to start.

Thanks, Alchemy. Finished The Handmaid's Tale earlier today. Probably the best book on heterosexual dating I've read. I had to force myself to stop reading it before bed or I'd end up staying up all night. Will definitely be reading more Margaret Atwood in the future. Has anyone seen the film adaptation? I'm going to check it out; especially since Harold Pinter wrote the screenplay. It probably read a bit differently in a post 9/11 world than it did when originally published.

Virginia Woolf has some very good short fiction; that might give you a good feel. "Monday or Tuesday" more or less shows her mature style.

I did not love Mrs Dalloway but it is quite wonderful and I should probably revisit it at some point. To The Lighthouse is longer and denser and one of my favorite books ever. I also love The Waves but that one has even less to grab on to so I wouldn't start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Recent books I've read:
    Just Kids - Patti Smith
    Rant - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soledad Brother - George Jackson
    Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

All amazing reads especially the last one by Junot; don't sleep on that one.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

You and Mr. Diaz on a first-name basis?

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is on my list -- looking forward to it.

You and Mr. Diaz on a first-name basis?

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is on my list -- looking forward to it.
    Haha I really enjoyed this book and hope you do too. Very funny and well written. It will make you into a believer of Fukú.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

I enjoyed it, too, though it's been a while. I think it was still new when I read it. I remember it getting a lot of criticism that seemed to stem more from the fact that it became a bestseller than what was actually going on between the covers.

I am getting some John Carter of Mars books tomorrow. I am severely lacking in science fiction and fantasy books, and since I'm a fan of adventure novels, it seemed good to start with some Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'm going to guess that those books are more adventure than science fiction, but perhaps that will ease the transition. The only science fiction novel I've read is Solaris and the science fiction segments in David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten. Solaris changed my life... As far as fantasy, I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings a very long time ago, and I recently read A Game of Thrones - the latter was quite addicting. I've also read a lot of H. P. Lovecraft, which sort of seems to resemble fantasy at times.

Are there any fun genre books like this that you all recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I am getting some John Carter of Mars books tomorrow. I am severely lacking in science fiction and fantasy books, and since I'm a fan of adventure novels, it seemed good to start with some Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'm going to guess that those books are more adventure than science fiction, but perhaps that will ease the transition. The only science fiction novel I've read is Solaris and the science fiction segments in David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten. Solaris changed my life... As far as fantasy, I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings a very long time ago, and I recently read A Game of Thrones - the latter was quite addicting. I've also read a lot of H. P. Lovecraft, which sort of seems to resemble fantasy at times.

Are there any fun genre books like this that you all recommend?
    Here are my recommendations my friend:

Do read the Hithhiker's guide series. It is composed of six books. I've had the pleasure of reading 5 of the six. They are by the author Douglas Adams. Very funny and awesome reads. Margin the robot is my favorite. Don't let the shitty hitchhikers movie fool ya.

For something more serious and really good try these three books. Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars all by Kim Stanley Robinson. They are about terraforming Mars. Sorry I'm typing this on my phone so can't get I to too much detail but look them up yourself. You might enjoy these reads. These three books won a bunch of awards back when they were written in the early 90s if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps!
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1