Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2324

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

TomAz, that book sounds interesting, i'll have to check it out my next trip to B&N

anyways, all i've been reading lately are books for my english class. we're focusing on Michael Chrichton's work; just read Eaters of the Dead, and now on Jurassic Park. great reads so far, i like the differential point of views.

any Vonnegut/Palahniuk fans in here? they're two of my favorite authors, i was wondering if anyone could recommend an author with their dark humor/outrageous writing styles?
    #coachellaweekend1
    #takeitsleazy

Currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Thoughts on Douglas Adams?
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by hools View Post
    TomAz, that book sounds interesting, i'll have to check it out my next trip to B&N

anyways, all i've been reading lately are books for my english class. we're focusing on Michael Chrichton's work; just read Eaters of the Dead, and now on Jurassic Park. great reads so far, i like the differential point of views.

any Vonnegut/Palahniuk fans in here? they're two of my favorite authors, i was wondering if anyone could recommend an author with their dark humor/outrageous writing styles?
    Bukowski, of course. Every read Bukowski. Even the ladies.

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

VigoTheCarpathian

Bukowski for sure and also Burroughs and Dostoyevsky and Norman Mailer.

VigoTheCarpathian

Or this book

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Thoughts on Douglas Adams?
    I find his work utterly hilarious. I would like to re-read that series again - it has been a long time! - as he is also imaginative and crazy, which goes well with the funny.

The first three books are amazing, the next one is quite good and Mostly Harmless is, well, an apt title.

The Original Radio Scripts are amazing (with fantastic commentary.) As are the actual radio shows. These came first, of course, and were done nearly off the cuff and he reworked where the story went when he wrote the books but these are no less funny.

The Infocom text-based computer game was quite amusing if more difficult to get through.

The BBC series had its moments but there the limitations (budgetary, mostly) are for me more distracting than charming.

The much more recent feature film had its moments as well but they muddled with things enough that it felt off for me much of the time.

His Dirk Gently books are quite good if in a slightly different vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I'm sure you would enjoy Donald Ray Pollock's Knockemstiff. He's been on a book tour with Palahnuik. It's a pretty good book. Very dirty and dark. I had the great pleasure of reading it one week, and then the next week, hear him read one of the stories and then talk to my class about things - such as writing, publishing, the future... He's a nice guy, too. He signed all our books and then came out with us to our lovely bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Bukowski, of course. Every read Bukowski. Even the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Bukowski for sure and also Burroughs and Dostoyevsky and Norman Mailer.
    definitely a fan of Bukowski. i loved Ham on Rye, i needa pick up his pieces on his views on women, ha

i have Naked Lunch by Burroughs, haven't delved into it just yet though. i'll give Dostoyevsky and Mailer a look at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I'm sure you would enjoy Donald Ray Pollock's Knockemstiff. He's been on a book tour with Palahnuik. It's a pretty good book. Very dirty and dark. I had the great pleasure of reading it one week, and then the next week, hear him read one of the stories and then talk to my class about things - such as writing, publishing, the future... He's a nice guy, too. He signed all our books and then came out with us to our lovely bar.
    very dirty and dark, just what i need haha thanks for all the recommendations y'all!
    #coachellaweekend1
    #takeitsleazy

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I find his work utterly hilarious. I would like to re-read that series again - it has been a long time! - as he is also imaginative and crazy, which goes well with the funny.

The first three books are amazing, the next one is quite good and Mostly Harmless is, well, an apt title.

The Original Radio Scripts are amazing (with fantastic commentary.) As are the actual radio shows. These came first, of course, and were done nearly off the cuff and he reworked where the story went when he wrote the books but these are no less funny.

The Infocom text-based computer game was quite amusing if more difficult to get through.

The BBC series had its moments but there the limitations (budgetary, mostly) are for me more distracting than charming.

The much more recent feature film had its moments as well but they muddled with things enough that it felt off for me much of the time.

His Dirk Gently books are quite good if in a slightly different vein.
    Useful information. Will be reading more of his works after I finish everything by Neil Gaiman (except those lame comics he writes).
    LOL! <33
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Useful information. Will be reading more of his works after I finish everything by Neil Gaiman (except those lame comics he writes).
    Neverwhere is easily one of my top reads, ever. I thoroughly enjoy all of his books.
    And careful, don't knock Sandman. That series holds some of Gaiman's top notch stories. The depth, character arch, development, and grand scale of the all of the characters is superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

TomAz, that book sounds interesting
    so far (about 6 chapters in) I've gotten some insights but there's a fair mount of stuff that i'd have to say is pretty boring. "So then we went to (midsized midwestern city) and played a show in a little club called (whatever). After the show we hung out with (people i've never heard of) and they were really supportive." Typical memoir filler, I guess, but there seems more of it than the norm here.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Neverwhere is easily one of my top reads, ever. I thoroughly enjoy all of his books.
    And careful, don't knock Sandman. That series holds some of Gaiman's top notch stories. The depth, character arch, development, and grand scale of the all of the characters is superb.
    It is impossible for me to get over any of the literary or otherwise cheesiness of Gaiman's comic book writing. Sandman is trash.
    LOL! <33

Coachella Junkie

It's now official--Stephen is working on Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining. This weekend Steve read an excerpt from this at his appearance at George Mason University. They have given us permission to post their taping of the event here on Steve's site which we will do as soon as we receive the file. Dr. Sleep's plot includes a traveling group of vampires called The Tribe which is part of the passage he read from.
    http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

I SAW THAT ON THE TV IN MY WORK ELEVATOR. SO EXCITED!!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie

It will be a miracle if I finish Gravity’s Rainbow before my 2nd library renewal. Might have to buy this one. In other news, I’m now number 173 on the wait-list for Tina Fey’s Bossy Pants. 173. Ah, Los Angeles Public Library, it turns out that there is a limit to my love.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 09-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    It will be a miracle if I finish Gravity’s Rainbow

Actually, I’m surprised to find that I'm really enjoying it. From everything I'd ever read about the book, I'd assumed I'd find it cloying and precious. Instead, I find it really engaging. Although, I have to admit, it’s unlike any other reading experience I’ve had. While I’m reading a passage, I find myself completely engrossed, but because of how Pynchon jumps all over the place I don’t find myself compelled to go back to the book regularly. I have to push myself to crack it open every day, but once I’m a few sentences in, I’m hooked again. Never quite experienced that before.

I know this is probably more appropriate for that other thread, but no one talks about books and culture over there.

Librarians checked out in 'Men of the Stacks' calendar

Group of male library workers bids to remake dowdy image of their profession with glamorous catalogue

Alison Flood
    guardian.co.uk, Thursday 29 September 2011 09.01 EDT

A group of male librarians is attempting to overthrow the cliché of the bespectacled, permanently shushing female library worker with the publication of a Calendar Girls-style calendar.

Featuring clothed as well as unclothed models, the "Men of the Stacks" 2012 calendar brings together 12 photographs of American librarians, from January's Zack (naked but for a strategically placed book, glasses, finger to his lips) to December's Gabriel (shirtless, brushing his teeth in the mirror). Its creators point out that the American library profession is 80% white and 72% female, with "tens of thousands of librarians expected to reach age 65 in the next five years".

"The Men of the Stacks project was first conceived a couple of years ago after learning of the publication of another library-themed calendar," they explain. "Our first reaction to that calendar? 'Well, cool but…where are all the men?'

"There is an entire population of professional librarians out there who disagree with the way the library profession is perceived in contemporary media outlets and in the historical consciousness of the American mind. Different people and different associations will use different means to try to change those perceptions. This is ours."

Von, a librarian, PhD student and June's (topless) model, said that "we can't just leave it to others to tell the people who we are; that's why the stereotypes about librarians continue to flourish. We have to be the ones to go out there and tell people who we are. It's not enough to complain about inaccurate images of librarians; we must be able to present alternative, positive images in movies, books and, yes, blogs." And, obviously, in calendars.

All proceeds from the $19.99 (£13) calendar will go to the It Gets Better project, an initiative established by author Dan Savage to let gay teenagers who are bullied about their sexuality know that life will improve.

won't be buying that. Good cause though.
    100% Caffeinated

It will be a miracle if I finish Gravity’s Rainbow before my 2nd library renewal. Might have to buy this one. In other news, I’m now number 173 on the wait-list for Tina Fey’s Bossy Pants. 173. Ah, Los Angeles Public Library, it turns out that there is a limit to my love.
    You would actually sign up on a wait list for Tina Fey's book? Jesus Christ...

I know this is probably more appropriate for that other thread, but no one talks about books and culture over there.
    That photo doesn't paint too accurate a picture of the rest of the calendar. Goggly McDog's pretty cute, though.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 10-09-2011 at 04:25 PM.

I enjoy the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    won't be buying that. Good cause though.
    Nor will I. I have a couple of friends who are librarians. It just made me giggle thinking of them in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I enjoy the winter months.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    You would actually sign up on a wait list for Tina Fey's book? Jesus Christ...
    If this is going to turn into one of those "women are inherently unfunny" things, no thanks.

John Hodgman's new book of nonsense is imminent and he's doing a tour with some pretty fucking spectacular guests. I can't really imagine that an evening in his presence would be anything less than delightful, so here's the tour information, ensmallened for reading ease and otherwise written in a truly infuriating style I pretend to tolerate because he's just so darn lovable:

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, in BROOKLYN
    At 8PM I will be appearing at THE BELL HOUSE
    149 7th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

GUESTS shall include:
    JONATHAN COULTON
    PAUL RUDD
    WYATT CENAC
    DAVID REES
    and CYNTHIA HOPKINS
    TICKETS are $30
    EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL courtesy POWERHOUSE ARENA.

—WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, in CHICAGO
    At 8PM I will be appearing at the SECOND CITY ETC stage
    1608 North Wells Street, Chicago IL

MY GUESTS shall include:
    PETER SAGAL
    MALORT
    and MORE

TICKETS are $27 and are available by calling 312-337-3992.
    EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy THE BOOK STALL.

—THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3, in ST. LOUIS
    At 7PM I will be appearing at the MAD ART GALLERY, a former police station (!)
    2727 South 12th Street, St Louis MO
    TICKETS are $25

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy SUBTERRANEAN BOOKS.

—FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4, in LOS ANGELES
    At 8:30PM I will be appearing at LARGO AT THE CORONET
    366 North La Cienega Boulevard, LA, CA

MY GUESTS shall include:
    MR. PAUL F. TOMPKINS
    MR. JOHN RODERICK
    and MR. RICH SOMMER

TICKETS are $35

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy BOOK SOUP.

—SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 6, in PORTLAND, OREGON
    At 7PM I will be appearing at MCMENAMINS BAGDAD THEATER (sic)
    3702 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR

MR. JOHN RODERICK shall be joining me again, among OTHER GUESTS.

TICKETS are $25

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy POWELL’S, of course.

—MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7, in SEATTLE
    At 7:30PM, I will be appearing at TOWN HALL
    119 8th Avenue, Seattle WA
    MR. JOHN RODERICK shall conclude his section of the tour with me here in his home city.

TICKETS are $25

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy THE ELLIOTT BAY BOOK CO.

—TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, in AUSTIN, TEXAS
    At 7PM I will be appearing at BOOK PEOPLE
    603 North Lamar, Austin TX

I WILL BE JOINED by that prodigal son of Austin: NEAL POLLACK
    AND THERE WILL ALSO be a mustache contest. FOR SERIOUS.

TICKETS go on sale November 1 and cost $25 for EXTREMELY LIMITED SEATING and a copy of the book THAT IS ALL.

$5 STANDING ROOM TICKETS will also be available, which $5 is applicable against the purchase of the book THAT IS ALL.

—WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, in DURHAM, NC
    At 7:30 PM, I will be appearing at the DURHAM ARMORY
    220 Foster Street, Durham, NC

MR. DAVID REES will also be talking and sharpening pencils as only he can.

TICKETS are $25

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy THE REGULATOR BOOKSHOP

—FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 11, in ASHEVILLE, NC
    At 7PM, I will be appearing at the ASHEVILLE COMMUNITY THEATER
    35 East Walnut Street, Asheville, NC

MY GUESTS shall be announced soon.

TICKETS are $30

EACH TICKET INCLUDES one copy of the book THAT IS ALL, courtesy MALAPROP’S

—MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14, in MANHATTAN
    At 7PM I will be appearing at BARNES & NOBLE in Union Square
    33 East 17th Street, New York, NY

THIS EVENT IS FREE and requires no ticket. It would be nice if you bought a book, however.

—TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, in BROOKLINE, MASSACHUSETTS, my home-town

At 6PM I will be appearing at The COOLIDGE CORNER Theater, WHERE ONCE I WORKED

290 Harvard Street, Brookline, MA

TICKETS are $25

AND I CAN NOW ANNOUNCE that we will be joined by
    MR. TED LEO of “T. Leo & the Pharmacists.”
    YOUR FIRST TICKET includes a copy of the book THAT IS ALL. You may also by a SECOND TICKET without a book for only $5.

ALL BOOKS come courtesy of the BROOKLINE BOOKSMITH.

—ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, in SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA

At 8PM I will be appearing at the FITZGERALD THEATER

THIS PROGRAM will be a special presentation of the Minnesota Public Radio Program “WITS”

HOSTED BY JOHN MOE and musicked by JOHN MUNSON, and with special guests
    JOHN DARNIELLE
    KEVIN MURPHY and
    BILL CORBETT

TICKETS are $23 for members and $25 for non-members.

BOOK ARE NOT INCLUDED in the price of the ticket, but will be available for sale at the venue via COMMON GOOD BOOKS.

Finally you two can run away together as destiny intended.

While I like the cut of that jib very much, I don't think it'd be fair to subject the rest of the world to the subsequent discussions that would inevitably somehow wind up on public radio. This week on Inexplicably Indulged Tedium: Hodgman and Rain go to Staples and discuss the pros and cons of different types of paper fasteners for three hours while chuckling at everything for no apparent reason! It's insufferable! Right after Science Friday.

I'm 100 pages into Ulysses. Good time!
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Anyone jumped into The Instructions by Adam Levin yet? It's a huge novel about a 10 year old Jewish-American super-genius with a messianic complex and (what seems to me) some severe anger issues. I started it yesterday and have had a hard time putting it down. The kid never comes across as a kid, which is a bit distracting, but I'm really enjoying the story and the characters so far. Delightfully odd.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****