Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Have you read DeLillo's White Noise? It's one of my favorites, and as much as I loved Underworld, I don't think it's as good. What is the What is on my shelf, too. Maybe this summer. I'm currently wrapping up a collection of short stories published by McSweeney's (Eggers' literary mag). Fun, previously unpublished genre stuff from people like Rick Moody, Elmore Leonard, Michael Chabon, Nick Hornby, and Sherman Alexie.

Devil in the White City is great. Well worth reading, Hannah. Have either of you read Under the Banner of Heaven? It's written by Jon Krakauer and details Mormon fundamentalism in the context of a 1984 double murder. Creepy and riveting.
    Krakuer's book is very good. Reminded me of The Executioner's Song.

Also,

Libra>White Noise>Underworld. Meant to comment on that before. Underworld is perhaps a bit too ambitious for its own good. Doesn't always hit the right notes, IMO.

Re-reading No Country for Old Men now. In preparation.

I'm reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden because I enjoyed his book The Winter of Our Discontent so much. So far it kind of reads like those Peyton Place movies (never read the book if there is one).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i'm re-reading accordion crimes by annie proulx. when i finish that i'm moving on to what is the what.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I'm reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden because I enjoyed his book The Winter of Our Discontent so much. So far it kind of reads like those Peyton Place movies (never read the book if there is one).
    Stick with it, Amy. It's biblical.

I just started T.C. Boyle's Drop City.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Those of you not reading Harry Potter, what are you reading instead?

I'm working on Frank Portman's King Dork and Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park.

It's summer, so I finished reading the Dirk Gently Omnibus. Light stuff. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is my favorite Douglas Adams book.

I'm reading this book of Dylan interviews. Also, I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm about 250 pages into "The Agony And The Ecstasy" by Irving Stone. It's a biographical novel of Michelangelo (description stolen from book cover). It is amazingly well written (IMHO) and is making me want to revisit Italy more and more.

And I agree with Atom re: Dirk Gently. I loved the first Dirk Gently book and also "The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul". Both rank towards the best Douglas Adams wrote (especially since the ending to "Mostly Harmless" kind of spoiled the Hitchhiker's series for me somewhat). I still haven't read "The Salmon of Doubt", though. Supposedly the main novella in that is the third Dirk Gently book.

I haven't read "The Salmon of Doubt" either but I believe you are right. That was the working title for the book Adams had been working on for, well, years. Must've been a lot of baths.

"Mostly Harmless" was nothing special but it couldn't dim my love for the first three books in the trilogy.

I read part one of "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy last night. It is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Banned

I bought "Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market" yesterday I really should have bought it from a used book Im not all that sure it will be an interesting book.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    ...and Oh the Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey for fun.
    I am still reading this. I am also reading the August 2007 issue of Lucky Magazine. I know; I fail.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Also, I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union.
    Is it good? Back when I had a real job about half of my co-workers were reading that book. I know because they would all be reading it at the same time in the shuttle from the parking lot to the main building. Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    I'm about 250 pages into "The Agony And The Ecstasy" by Irving Stone. It's a biographical novel of Michelangelo (description stolen from book cover). It is amazingly well written (IMHO) and is making me want to revisit Italy more and more.
    It was also made into a fantastically cheesy movie staring Charlton Heston. It's totally art historically inaccurate, but very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I read part one of "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy last night. It is good.
    I love that book.

I read As I Lay Dying by William Faulker before I started reading the last 3 Harry Potter books.

Coachella Junkie

I gave up on Mason & Dixon for a while and am now reading a ridiculous fantasy series called A Song of Ice & Fire. It's about dragons and wenches and shit. I also just found out it's not even done and there are two more books in the series for dude to write. Nonsense.

Everytime I read, I fall asleep. I have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    Everytime I read, I fall asleep. I have problems.
    Maybe you should try reading while Stef Maybe holds you in his arms and smells your hair.

I read to help myself go to sleep sometimes.

Is it good? Back when I had a real job about half of my co-workers were reading that book. I know because they would all be reading it at the same time in the shuttle from the parking lot to the main building. Cute.
    I haven't decided yet.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ok I finished Oh The Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey. It picked up and got better in the end, imo, as it got less self-indulgent and more focused on the father character. I am quite sure that the book does not merit comparison to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, as many of the reviews reprinted on the first couple pages inside the cover suggest. But it was well-written, and interesting in a voyeuristic, society pages sort of way.

I did enjoy the section on his crazy travels to Russia with his eccentric mother as part of the "Children as Teachers of Peace." But really where the book started to get better, for me at least, is his tenure at the Amity School in Italy. The section opens with a 2+ page quote from Murakami's Norwegian Wood, which seems like the sort of thing that most first-time novelists would shy away from but fits well within Wilsey's general collage photo album-style of writing where he seems to paste various mementos from his childhood both literally and metaphorically into his book's pages. But other than the fact that I love love love Murakami, I think the reason this section and the ones that follow work so much better is that all of a sudden Wilsey's writing gets out of the moment and adopts a more retrospective distance. Or maybe I just couldn't handle his brattishness earlier in the book.

I'm glad I read Oh The Glory of It All, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to friends unless they had a particular interest in San Francisco society gossip. Also, Wilsey lived in MARFA (!!!!) briefly, so he can't be all bad.
    Last edited by Courtney; 07-29-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

I'm finally going to read "A Clockwork Orange". I'm also about 10 pages into "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

life of pi made me laugh. it's a good book, worth the read.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Well, I loved White Noise, which prompted me to pick up Underworld, but that one left me cold. I didn't feel like he was cohesive in his story telling and the characters (pretty much caricatures, in both cases) didn't ever connect with me in the way they did in White Noise. Also, it dragged on for too long.

Next up: Either V or Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon or The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was going to go to bed, but instead I decided to start "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas".

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I was going to go to bed, but instead I decided to start "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas".
    Hooray for Tom Robbins. Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Also, I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union.
    I liked this book a lot. I am just going to read Chabon from now on.

Well, I loved White Noise, which prompted me to pick up Underworld, but that one left me cold. I didn't feel like he was cohesive in his story telling and the characters (pretty much caricatures, in both cases) didn't ever connect with me in the way they did in White Noise. Also, it dragged on for too long.

Next up: Either V or Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon or The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Recommendations?
    Gravity's Rainbow is in my top ten of all time. I liked V but it was more difficult for me to follow; it seemed a little less smooth. It might be a better entry point for Pynchon's real novels, though. Either would be overwhelmingly awesome.

I have at times considered reading some Rushdie but it's never happened so I have nothing to add there, really.

Oh and also I finished All the Pretty Horses and it ruled my face. I started Orlando by Virginia Woolf while camping. I love Virginia Woolf an incredible amount. This is going to be a weird one; it is a fantasy. Maybe more distance from Mrs. Dalloway than Dalloway is from To the Lighthouse or The Waves. I think I shall still like it but I suspect it might not leave me in mindless rapture like the latter two did.

I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's historical fiction about the search for the North-West Passage in the late 1840's. I anything by Dan Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Hooray for Tom Robbins. Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite.
    I liked Still Life with Woodpecker better. Although it's probably been a good five years since I've read Another Roadside Attraction. I owe it a re-read.

I never could finish Still Life with Woodpecker. I just didn't like it.