Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    me:books::general public:music

i feel like i don't know where to start, so i just kind of pick up something if i've heard people talking about it a lot (a million little pieces, for instance).
    I read that book and loved it. I don't care if it was all lies, it was still a good story. My Friend Leonard was good too.

Umberto Eco - Travels in Hyperreality
    Don DeLillo - Underworld
    Italo Calvino - 6 Memos for a New Millenium

and my aesthetics textbooks for school this quarter.

I don't read, I watch TV.

No, just kidding. I'm reading Aporias by Derrida. I can't decide if it's depressing or strangely uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by devachan View Post
    I'm reading Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, again. This time I'm going to figure out why Brett sleeps with every man she sees.
    God I love that book.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    i have a somewhat elaborate kidnapping fantasy involving mr. david foster wallace that would find him chained to my living room table until he produces for us a new book. i don't foresee the need to break his legs though.
    He's terrific. I went to a reading he gave a couple years ago, and was pleased to find that he is as charming and lovely as his writing is good.

Reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. It's pretty decent for her first book. Has anyone here read Time's Arrow by Martin Amis? If so, what did you think of it?

At first, I thought it should have been longer with more character development. But then I decided if the book had been any longer, the whole backwards theme would have gotten old. And while I don't want to see many more books like this come out, I think it might have been one of my favorite reads of the year.

"Saturday" by Ian McEwan, Milton's "Paradise Lost," and endless articles/essays for grad school.

I'd recommend Rob Sheffield's "Love Is a Mix Tape" for all you music fans out there, especially those of you "of a certain age," like me (late 20's/early 30's). It's bound to bring back some memories, and Sheffield's a funny guy.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I just started reading "Rebels on the Backlot", a book that traces the history of directors Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Fincher, Steven Soderbergh, Spike Jonze, and David O. Russell, while I was doing my laundry.

I'm going to leave now and go read some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

that sounds like an interesting book
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I just started reading "Rebels on the Backlot", a book that traces the history of directors Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Fincher, Steven Soderbergh, Spike Jonze, and David O. Russell, while I was doing my laundry.

I'm going to leave now and go read some more.
    Wow, the cover of that book is so gratuitous. And I am by no means a film geek, but it sounds interesting (read: I like Quentin Tarantino). How do you like it so far?

bump

I am now reading the 2nd book in this Stephen R Donaldson fantasy series about (character) Thomas Covenant. It's called The Illearth War. The series is starting to get a bit more interesting. Now not only is there a leper who gets to escape to a fantasy world, there's a blind man too.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd recommend Rob Sheffield's "Love Is a Mix Tape" for all you music fans out there, especially those of you "of a certain age," like me (late 20's/early 30's). It's bound to bring back some memories, and Sheffield's a funny guy.
    "Mix Tape" is pretty good. Better than that chode Klosterman.

For anyone out there who enjoys a good fantasy novel

Runelord Series by David Farland --- awesome books, one aspect is based on being able to take other people attributes and bestow them upon yourself, ie one man being as strong as 15 as fast as 10 and with the sight and beauty of 40, just some crazy shit, good writer as well

Dragonlance by Margaret Weis --- classic fantasy story and easy reading

Kings Dragon(Crown of Stars Series) by Kate Elliot --- excellent writer and fantastic story line, very descriptive and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearlyImaginative View Post
    For anyone out there who enjoys a good fantasy

Ok, that one made me rofl a little tiny bit.

I'm currently reading The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure.

I've got some Ray Bradbury on the go right now as well. I also saw a new Gaiman at the book store the other day which I plan on picking up as soon as it shows up at Fair's Fair. He never disappoints me.
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

Reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut, E.L. "Bob" Bartlett: A Life In Politics by Claus Naske and Alaska: An American Colony by Stephen Haycox.

The last two are for a documentary I'm interning on. I'm not ordinarily into the Alaska political histories much.

Tomaz, I thought the same thing about Interface... worst part is the ending, which is very improbable. To the point of silliness. And not the good kind. Stephenson should stick to writing books solo, is what it is.

old school

I am reading Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethen
    I like it a lot, probably because I like reading about early 70s Brooklyn and the author goes into a lot of detail of streets and scenarios.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

You've saved me from my own laziness, dahling.

So someone recommend a book to me, pronto. I'm getting sick of this fantasy trilogy I'm reading.

If you go to the top of this page under Thread Tools you can select "Subscribe to this thread."

Then later you can go to your USER CP and the first page you see will be your subscribed threads. Well, at least the ones with new posts since your last visit. But you can click through that to see all your subscribed threads.

It's a great tool for keeping track of threads that keep getting pushed to other pages.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Thanks, John, but that is way too high-maintenance message boarding for me. But thanks.

There are a few authors where I will pick up and read anything they've written without a second thought. Cormac McCarthy, Larry McMurtry, Ian McEwan, Roddy Doyle, Neil Stephenson, Nick Hornby. others too but I cant think of them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Thanks, John, but that is way too high-maintenance message boarding for me. But thanks.
    That's ridiculous. This feature makes it easier to find things. Makes it so you can look at just your favorite threads; if that's what you want. There's nothing to maintain.

I don't have any good book suggestions right now. Hmm. I'm also still reading Blood Meridian. I am slow.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I can't deal with change very well. Looking at my "User CP" and having everything on the first page being my subscribed threads seems very scary to me. I want everything on the first page to be the latest posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    That's ridiculous. This feature makes it easier to find things. Makes it so you can look at just your favorite threads; if that's what you want. There's nothing to maintain.

I don't have any good book suggestions right now. Hmm. I'm also still reading Blood Meridian. I am slow.
    Blood Meridian is worth savoring.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    There are a few authors where I will pick up and read anything they've written without a second thought. Cormac McCarthy, Larry McMurtry, Ian McEwan, Roddy Doyle, Neil Stephenson, Nick Hornby. others too but I cant think of them right now.
    I love Neal Stephenson! Particularly the Diamond Age, but Snow Crash is good too. Although, I felt so cheated by the ending to Cryptonomicon that I threw the book across the room and am currently taking a break from reading any of his other titles. Still, if I disregard the attorney-gone-rambo scene, it was an okay book.

I've read Diamond Age and Snow Crash, but not Cryptonomicon. Is it bad? My husband liked it.

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

Watchoo reading FOR.....
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

the best book i have read in the last few years is "the time travelors wife" by audrey n.... EVERYONE who i bought it for or read it on my recommendation has told me they loved it... it was outside my normal reading genre but i took a chance because the cover art caught my attention...
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

I'm going to feel retarded after posting this considering the books you're all reading (I read a lot of different books though so not really) but right now I'm reading 'The Alphabet of Manliness' by Maddox. I can't help it I find him to be all sorts of funny. That book and both books by 'Tucker Max' make me laugh so hard I almost piss myself, especially Tuckers.
    Strangers with this kind of honesty make me go a big rubbery one