Page 1 of 76 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Books

Post Hey, Books are for Reading not Bandnames

I am about a third of the way into Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. One of the main reasons I got this was a backhanded recommendation (or was it serious?) from Tom.

It's really good. I like the writing style quite a bit. I'm not far enough in to quite have a grasp on the story and what's really at work here.

Also I am reading the 33 1/3 for Bee Thousand. It is choppy and a little rough and exuberant... so fairly appropriate.

What are you reading/wondering about reading.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 04-25-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Default Re: Hey, Books

I'm reading some crazy fantasy epic by Stephen R Donaldson about a leper. I think it's called Lord Foul's Bane. I hate the book, but my husband loves the damn series so much that I should probably at least finish the first book in the series.

Maybe I'll start re-reading my D H Lawrence library after this. I haven't read him in a while. Anyone have any recommendations?

I tend to read classic books, horror, and sci-fi mostly. I should probably read more modern books about real life. I'm also thinking about reading more Toni Morrison.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Currently in the middle of What is the What by Dave Eggers. It's very good. A pseudo Autobiography of a sudanese refugee, and it's written in Eggers' very idiosyncratic style. I'd recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Thumbs down Re: Hey, Books

Currently in the middle of "Integrin a5b1 and Fibronectin Regulate Polarized Cell Protrusions Required for Xenopus Convergence and Extension"...Yeah I dont read books I read journal articles...me=awesome
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

dang its been a good while since ive read a good book
    <schedule_2013>
    St Vincent 3/19, Cut Copy 3/31, The Knife 4/9, Mogwai 4/15, Pixies 4/17
    </schedule>

Although "Bone" by Jeff Smith is a graphic novel and thus not a true book, I really enjoyed it. I've been on a kick with those recently since they are easier to read when I have 15000 articles and books for school that require my attention. "From Hell" is next.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Bone was a fun comic. I really enjoyed those.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Twelve Shot Latte View Post
    I haven't read any fiction in about 5 or 6 years. Right now I'm reading
    Food Of The Gods by Terence McKenna. Next in line is DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman.
    DMT huh?..."life" is CRAZY
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

me:books::general public:music

i feel like i don't know where to start, so i just kind of pick up something if i've heard people talking about it a lot (a million little pieces, for instance). i don't have any favorite authors besides maybe john grisham and j.k. rolling....so yeah, you see where i'm coming from.

right now i'm reading Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles by Tony Bramwell and it's fascinating. at the library i was choosing between that, and the book about Bill Graham's experience as a music promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Although "Bone" by Jeff Smith is a graphic novel and thus not a true book, I really enjoyed it. I've been on a kick with those recently since they are easier to read when I have 15000 articles and books for school that require my attention. "From Hell" is next.
    man, i bought the complete bone late last year. Thick as a phonebook but worth it all the way. Besides chicks dig bone!!
    Right now in the middle of two good books: Stepehn King{s Dark tower IV Wizard and Glass and George RR Matin{s A Game of Thrones!

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am about a third of the way into Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. One of the main reasons I got this was a backhanded recommendation (or was it serious?) from Tom.
    It was both backhanded and serious. I mean I love that book, I love everything I've ever read by McCarthy, I went out and bought The Road on the day it came out. But Blood Meridian is a challenging book and I didn't think it the best choice for the book exchange.

I am currently reading a throwaway bit of sci-fi, Interface, a Neil Stephenson novel from the 90s. It's barely holding my interest. And I usually like Stephenson.

For Christmas I got a compendium of the last couple of years' editions of The Onion, which is wonderful. I also got another Calvin & Hobbes book which is always nice. but the real treat was the New Yorker cartoon book.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Just finished "in your dreams" by Tom holt, quite a good book I must say.

In an attempt to relive my childhood, I have started rereading the disc world novels by terry Prachet, going to take me a long time, only busy with the first one now, the color of magic.

Penthouse Forum
    Vol.4 issue # 56 March 2007

bug, is that the one where the guys go off playing golf and the wives get together and have a few glasses of wine and things start getting wild?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

no it was the one where some guy from Montana looks up an old flame from the 6th grade dance and mails her a letter. She then responds that he should "chat" with her via webcam, & that's when things start getting hot. I literally had to put the book down and go poop.

Food Of The Gods by Terence McKenna. Next in line is DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman.
    My husband wants to get that one.
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

but he listed two.

The latter one.

Um...er...a Fantasy Baseball magazine...

oh...and doing a re-read of "Waiting For Godot" by Samuel Beckett...I really want to see a performance of this play somewhere.

i have a somewhat elaborate kidnapping fantasy involving mr. david foster wallace that would find him chained to my living room table until he produces for us a new book. i don't foresee the need to break his legs though.

also he's got a little something in this week's New Yorker that I haven't made my mind up about yet. he had a new son last Thursday too, so that might have something to do with not only this piece but the lack of new material as well...

I'm reading the same books I was reading the last time we had one of these threads.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

go read some Kerouac lowlife
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule is pretty good. You should enjoy it if you're down with those kind of books.

Tessa, I will make you a books you would like mix. Wait that doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    Um...er...a Fantasy Baseball magazine...

oh...and doing a re-read of "Waiting For Godot" by Samuel Beckett...I really want to see a performance of this play somewhere.
    I love Beckett so much. And yes, performed live is the so much the way to go.

Also I think I recently decided that I'm going to give up on the Fantasy Baseball. I've been playing since 1999 but I don't pay attention anymore. I'm the sort of manager that I would've been really annoyed by 5 or 6 years ago.

Coachella Junkie

Do not pick up A Million Little Pieces. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not pick up a Million Little Pieces. Little Pieces. Do not pick it up.

And then I blacked out.

Anthony Bourdain / The nasty bits- I enjoyed reading Kitchen Confidential a couple of years ago. His new book are various stories from his travels. I enjoy reading about the places he travels and his restaurant experiences.

Peter J. D'Adamo / Eat right 4 your type-Someone from work just lend me this book. This book identifies how one diet for everyone is impossible because of the difference in our blood type. I'm an "O" and have been experimenting with the groceries.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I'm reading Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, again. This time I'm going to figure out why Brett sleeps with every man she sees.

Banned

Currently reading Ethics and College Student Life.

I'm not even enrolled in an ethics course; just found it on a bookshelf and thought I should read it.

E

Everytime you read a book, the terrorists win.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓