Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2324

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

I felt that way after Infinite Jest.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow are on hold for me at the library. Those two one after the other? Probably not the power move.

How many times must one person read Frederick Douglas? I'm about to do it for the fifth time. Do you guys ever reread books? There are some books I would like to reread, but I never have time. I end up having to on occasion because of school. I'm also going to be rereading The Awakening.

For pleasure right now I'm reading Naked Lunch, Nausea, Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams and Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious. I read an excerpt from The Uncanny which I found really interesting so I thought I'd look over some other stuff, but the first 100 pages of Jokes has been filled with just categorizing a ridiculous number of jokes. Check out 20 pages of jokes about wordplay. Here's an example, but its not quite right so here's another one. Why show me the first one at all Sigmund. Why.

Naked Lunch I'm enjoying so far. I'm only about 30 pages in but I feel very sort of crowded when I read it. I can't wait to finish it.

I'd like to read Lacan but I can't find him in any bookstores so far. Yes, I could order it online, but I like frequenting those places and checking in.

I'm feeling a little guilty because I can't even seem to get through Game of Thrones. I have 3 library books checked out, all overdue, and I have no intention of returning them until I'm done. (I blame my library for capping overdue charges fairly low).

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow are on hold for me at the library. Those two one after the other? Probably not the power move.
    I've never read Infinite Jest, but if it's like Gravity's Rainbow, you'll probably want to put a light-reading buffer between the two. Gravity's Rainbow made my head feel heavy... but then again, now I feel as though I can read anything (except maybe Finnegan's Wake). I bought Against the Day... but I'm going to save that for next summer. I'm going to read Around the World in 80 Days next.

Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    Naked Lunch I'm enjoying so far. I'm only about 30 pages in but I feel very sort of crowded when I read it. I can't wait to finish it.
    I had to force myself through most of this book. Though, there are parts of the book that I really enjoyed... like some Dr. Benway parts... but that's a tough book to get to. I think a lot tougher than Gravity's Rainbow even, because Naked Lunch is a lot of the same over and over and over...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I've been reading this. I am enjoying it. I like rock bios though.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I had to force myself through most of this book. Though, there are parts of the book that I really enjoyed... like some Dr. Benway parts... but that's a tough book to get to. I think a lot tougher than Gravity's Rainbow even, because Naked Lunch is a lot of the same over and over and over...
    Yeah, we'll see. Right now I'm just enjoying the language. Because of the classes I've been taking I've been reading recently published books where everyone is just trying to be clever and there's not much to distinguish the writing style of one author from another. And, you know, reading and writing so many academic critiques. It just gets boring.

Bill Burroughs definitely has a voice of his own. I like his short stories and I also loved Junkie. I'm glad that I read Naked Lunch. It's just that, at the end of it, I sort of sighed and said, "It's over."
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I'm putting this in here for the board's writers (at the eleventh hour - sorry) for lack of a more relevant-seeming place. McSweeney's is closing their annual column contest on Friday and the winners get $500 and a guaranteed year of publication on the site.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/o...column-contest

I work with a guy who used to be a regular contributor to McSweeney's. Funniest guy in the office by far.

Just finished A House For Mr. Biswas. One of the best things I've read in years. Dark, wickedly funny, strangely moving. Naipaul is quite a writer. Cracking open Gravity's Rainbow tomorrow. Hope I can make it through the whole thing.

Just finished Around the World in 80 Days as part of my journey in collecting and reading the Classic Boys' Adventures - Penguin Books. It was a funny and fun book. It was also my post-Gravity's Rainbow book, so it felt incredibly easy to read. I conquered it in just a few days, actually.

Next up, I'm going to read Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman short story collection.

Read Imperial Bedrooms on Saturday. It wasn't great, but it made me want to go back and re-read all of Ellis's other books. I'm reading Let the Right One In and Hideous Kinky right now. Neither is extremely engaging, but I'm trying to just push through them. Next up is the 2nd book of the Song of ice and Fire series and The Satanic Verses.

Alchemy - that story collection was really uneven... but there were some really beautiful stories in it that made it worth the read.

I love Alchemy's book choices.

I read Paul Auster's Travels in the Scriptorum on my flight from Honolulu to Houston last night. It's a quick 150 pages, and the majority of the book seems like it's building to something good, but in my opinion the ending was a bit of a disappointment. Not Auster's finest work.

I feel like the last Auster I read was The Music of Chance and I was similarly disappointed. The New York Trilogy is dear to my heart, though.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I'm reading Guy de Maupassant's Bel Ami, which is only further solidifying my admiration of his way with words. His short story "Claire de Lune" is my all time favorite. Also I guess it's getting released as a film this year starring Edward Cullen. Vampires Francaise.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

On the Hemmingway tip right now. So far, and over half way through, 'A Call to Arms' isn't really making an impact the way 'Across the River..." did. Have 'Islands in the Stream' on tap after that.

Due to inventory control selling all my rock books if anyone is interested before I throw em up on eBay. Each is $8 with shipping cept for the Iggy and Suede which I guess are collectors items ($150?! Jeez. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suede-Love-a...item1c1e4cce2e ) and open to offers (take $20 each).

List: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2010-.../IMAGE_156.jpg . All in good condition cept the Roses one is missing back cover. Book next to Andy Taylor's Wild Boys is 'Transformer' (Lou Reed).
    100% Caffeinated

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Alchemy - that story collection was really uneven... but there were some really beautiful stories in it that made it worth the read.
    After finishing it, I kind of agree with you. I will say that I loved most of it though. As a collection, it seemed to just be a round up of stories, and perhaps, not something intended to be read all at once. It's my first Murakami. It did the trick. I really want to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle now... I actually met this guy once who is friends with Murakami and goes to baseball games with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I love Alchemy's book choices.

I like my reading list to cycle between a literary book, a genre book, short stories, and then back to a literary book. That way I don't fry my brain. I need to start adding non-fiction into this mix. I have some books on Lebanon that I want to read, but you know... that's not as fun. I just need to do it.

Next up, I'm going to visit one of my favorite writers, that good old boy, Jack Kerouac, with his ridiculous novel Visions of Cody.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 09-13-2011 at 08:53 PM.

I'm just 90 pages into Gravity's Rainbow and I'm absolutely loving it. Yes, I think I have things figured out on page 80 and then on page 82 I have no clue what's going on; constant state of flux, but man, what a voice Pynchon has. I regret putting this off for so long. I guess I'm kind of surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. I figured this was the book that every cute, over-educated, craft-beer swilling, mustachioed twenty-something cherished so I'd probably find it cloying and inaccessible. Instead, I'm utterly charmed by the damn thing. Can't wait to be deeper in.

Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    How many times must one person read Frederick Douglas? I'm about to do it for the fifth time. Do you guys ever reread books? There are some books I would like to reread, but I never have time. I end up having to on occasion because of school. I'm also going to be rereading The Awakening.
    In college, I had three classes that had Heart of Darkness on the reading list. I dropped the third class partly b/c it was on there. I've never liked that book. The only books I've reread from cover to cover are Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Fast Food Nation and The Deep.

Currently reading the Steig Larsson trilogy, almost done with Played With Fire.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Gravity's Rainbow gets better and better as you read further and further. So much insanity in that book.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    In college, I had three classes that had Heart of Darkness on the reading list. I dropped the third class partly b/c it was on there. I've never liked that book.
    Yeah, I never cared for Heart of Darkness either. It's ubiquity on high school and college reading lists was damn annoying, too.

Gravity's Rainbow gets better and better as you read further and further. So much insanity in that book.
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Yeah, I never cared for Heart of Darkness either. It's ubiquity on high school and college reading lists was damn annoying, too.

Noted!
    Throughout high school and getting a degree in English/Creative Writing in college I have somehow never been assigned to read that book in any class. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Finally finished Let the Right One In. One of the most tedious books I've ever read. The first couple of chapters were sort of interesting, but it went downhill really quickly. Now, today, I need to finish Hideous Kinky and then I'm getting started on The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie) and the uhm 2nd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

So, I decided Visions of Cody was not the kind of thing to read so soon after Gravity's Rainbow. I'm going with the Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, instead.

Now, today, I need to finish Hideous Kinky and then I'm getting started on The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie) and the uhm 2nd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
    I tried reading The Satanic Verses twice and quit, I could not get into it at all.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

What was your complaint of it? I've heard it's the least good of his works... but I haven't read anything he's written yet.

Finally finished Let the Right One In. One of the most tedious books I've ever read. The first couple of chapters were sort of interesting, but it went downhill really quickly. Now, today, I need to finish Hideous Kinky and then I'm getting started on The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie) and the uhm 2nd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
    Very curious about the Rushdie. I've only read one of his novels; need to dig deeper.

So, I decided Visions of Cody was not the kind of thing to read so soon after Gravity's Rainbow. I'm going with the Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, instead.
    Love love love Portrait...

so I picked up this book the other day, and just opened it

On the very first page -- 3rd paragraph of the preface -- he starts talking about attending, and playing, Coachella. He says he has attended every year since 2005. He talks about playing the Gobi tent in 2009. And he talks about getting kicked out of an all-male clothing optional Palm Springs resort that same weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

What was your complaint of it? I've heard it's the least good of his works... but I haven't read anything he's written yet.
    I just thought it was boring, I couldn't really understand what was going on.