Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2327

Thread: Hey, Books

Default Re: Hey, Books

So I just finished reading Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison... Good coming of age/self-discovery kind of novel but it's not really my favorite.

7/24 - Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Bowl
    8/6 - HARD - LA State Historic Park
    9/3 - FYF @ LA State Historic Park

Picked up Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris although not his strongest book in my opinion still pretty great. He is doing a pretty extensive book tour
    I'm thinking of going.
    Anyone been before to see him?
    2009 ---- 2010 ---- 2011

Anyone read the Don Juan books? I just finished reading the 2nd one in the installment. Its cool but I want to know if its worth going through the series. I just ordered Journey to Ixtlan, so I am probably gonna read that one.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Picked up Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris although not his strongest book in my opinion still pretty great. He is doing a pretty extensive book tour
    I'm thinking of going.
    Thanks for sharing the link. I might drive up to SB for his reading at the Arlington. Haven't read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk but I picked up Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim for the first time in a while and read the last story in the book - SO funny. Try listening to one of his podcasts from NPR. His stories are so much funnier when you can hear him narrating in his dorky/sweet voice!

7/24 - Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Bowl
    8/6 - HARD - LA State Historic Park
    9/3 - FYF @ LA State Historic Park

I've started reading this book today and I'm almost halfway through. It's from this publishing company that I found on display in Barns and Noble today called Open Letter Books. They seem to specialize in translating books into English for the first time. You can subscribe for 10 books for $100. Or you can find the books on Amazon for a decent price. Anyway, they have excellent book designs, which is what attracted me to their display. I read the backs of the books and this one seemed excellent:

Back in Reykjavik after a vacation in London, Emil Halldorsson is waiting for a call from a beautiful girl, Greta, that he met on the plane ride home, and he’s just put on a pot of coffee when an unexpected visitor knocks on the door. Peeking through a window, Emil spies an erstwhile friend—Havard Knutsson, his one-time roommate and current resident of a Swedish mental institution—on his doorstep, and he panics, taking refuge under his bed and hoping the frightful nuisance will simply go away.

Havard won’t be so easily put off, however, and he breaks into Emil’s apartment and decides to wait for his return—Emil couldn’t have gone far; the pot of coffee is still warming on the stove. While Emil hides under his bed, increasingly unable to show himself with each passing moment, Havard discovers the booze, and he ends up hosting a bizarre party for Emil's friends, and Greta.

An alternately dark and hilarious story of cowardice, comeuppance, and assumed identity, the breezy and straightforward style of The Pets belies its narrative depth, and disguises a complexity that grows with every page.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Finally found "Blood Meridian" at the used book store today (thanks to Alchemy's suggestion). Might be starting it next, haven't decided yet. Just finished Tom McNeal's second novel "To Be Sung Underwater", a book I waited 9 1/2 years for, and did not disappoint.

So I finished The Pets. It was well-written (translated) and the great premise had excellent execution... But... the ending was horrible. It was an ending that was justified, in the slightest way, but it was a relentless ending that made me feel bad.

I am now reading Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

EDIT: Also, by the way, after reading the About the Artist section of The Pets, the writer was apparently the bassist for The Sugarcubes.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I finished a couple books over my trip last week, including the 33 1/3 for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials (trying to keep both my right and left brain occupied).

The In the Aeroplane Over the Sea 33 1/3 is written by Kim Cooper, who apparently is the editor of the magazine Scram, as well as a tour guide for "Esotouric" in Los Angeles. After having read the 33 1/3 for the Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Facing Future, which does such a brilliant job of outlining the specific social and cultural forces at play in the making of the album, I had high expectations. However, Cooper seems more interested in giving a play-by-play of quoted remembrances from the players on the scene at the time, rather than actually deconstructing the album and placing it into a larger context from the unbiased perspective of an outsider. She admits as much by saying that in her initial proposal to Continuum, she was very clear that she did not want to do a detailed reading of lyrics -- however she then goes on to do just that for each track on the album. It seems that Cooper doesn't quite know exactly what she aims to accomplish with the book. Or perhaps she just circles around the issue, trying to create a cohesive story despite failing to speak to Jeff Mangum himself.

Powells is doing free shipping until the end of the day. No code.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I'm thinking of going.
    I caught him in SB at the Arlington Theater in the Fall of '08, he was fantastic! If he is anywhere near your city, it is a must see/hear. I actually got a couple books signed by him and in one, instead of writing a little something he drew a turtle with Abe Lincoln's head and signed his name. He's just an all-around great person.

Just learned about this today: The First Rule of Book Club, a free coupled book club/movie night/bar meetup held monthly at a McMenamins here in PDX. The schedule for 2011 is:

January - Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (Meeting Feb 7)
    February - Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote (Meeting March 14)
    March - The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (Meeting April 11)
    April - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (Meeting May 9)
    May - L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy (Meeting June 13)
    June - The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (Meeting July 11)
    Summer Kids' Edition: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (Meeting July 17, Sunday Matinee)
    July - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Meeting August 8)
    August - Women by Charles Bukowski (Barfly Screening) (Meeting September 12)
    September - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick (Meeting October 10)
    November - Wild At Heart by Barry Gifford (Meeting November 14)
    December - The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Meeting December 12 at 6 pm. Kids welcome)

Going to have to hit some of these, I think.

Currently reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Just read Burmese Days by George Orwell. Interesting book on British imperialism.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I finished a couple books over my trip last week, including the 33 1/3 for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials (trying to keep both my right and left brain occupied).

The In the Aeroplane Over the Sea 33 1/3 is written by Kim Cooper, who apparently is the editor of the magazine Scram, as well as a tour guide for "Esotouric" in Los Angeles. After having read the 33 1/3 for the Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Facing Future, which does such a brilliant job of outlining the specific social and cultural forces at play in the making of the album, I had high expectations. However, Cooper seems more interested in giving a play-by-play of quoted remembrances from the players on the scene at the time, rather than actually deconstructing the album and placing it into a larger context from the unbiased perspective of an outsider. She admits as much by saying that in her initial proposal to Continuum, she was very clear that she did not want to do a detailed reading of lyrics -- however she then goes on to do just that for each track on the album. It seems that Cooper doesn't quite know exactly what she aims to accomplish with the book. Or perhaps she just circles around the issue, trying to create a cohesive story despite failing to speak to Jeff Mangum himself.
    I have 21 of those 33 1/3 books (including the NMH one) and I think I've enjoyed maybe half of them. I think the concept is great, but the delivery doesn't always hold up. My favorites are...

...though a few of the others are also quite good. Sometimes the books veer a bit too far into the realm of stiff academia for my liking. I always prefer to read music writing with a good mix of factual information, social perspective and passion.

I think Continuum has run into problems with their choices a few times as their authors have had a difficult time getting in acceptable drafts in a timely fashion. A few that I've been interested in (like the one about My Bloody Valentine's Loveless) went through more delays than that Spider-Man musical, and at least one I've been waiting for (Television's Marquee Moon) may never come out.

There's a number I haven't read yet that I will eventually get around to. I just picked up the volume about the Flaming Lips' Zaireeka for five bucks at the closing of a Borders store in Manhattan. That was the only book in the series I could find there, though the store was predictably in a state of chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Hannah, I am finally reading Fool after telling you months ago that I was going to read it. The first chapter put me off the book in such a way that I almost got rid of it. (But I persevered and it has gotten better).

I think I've mentioned this before, but I seem to have some sort of reading material ADD. I can't just pick a book and focus on it and finish it, but instead have been reading at least 4 books in parallel. Like reading from 2-3 books every day and then have a couple that I only read from on weekends. Why do I do this to myself?

Moore definitely toes a readable/unreadable line at times. There's a whole chunk of his work that I find to be a little TOO playful and have no interest in. The guy won me over with Lamb, though, and they're really quick reads that don't require much of you, so they're good for traveling or public transit or casual lightminded reading. It's certainly not everlasting literature, but it can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Moore definitely toes a readable/unreadable line at times. There's a whole chunk of his work that I find to be a little TOO playful and have no interest in. The guy won me over with Lamb, though, and they're really quick reads that don't require much of you, so they're good for traveling or public transit or casual lightminded reading. It's certainly not everlasting literature, but it can be fun.
    I read that years back, pretty entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I just handed in my thesis for an MFA in Creative Writing. Too celebrate, I bought John Buchan's The 39 Steps. I desperately need to read something fun after all the density.

Just started V. by Thomas Pynchon, looking forward to reading it since Inherent Vice was a little bit less Pynchonesque than Gravity's Rainbow and Crying of Lot 49. 150 pages with no main characters and only brief and insignificant reference to who V is...love it.

Wait, you enjoyed Gravity's Rainbow? I'll try it again, but it was almost completely boring to me.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie

Nobody actually enjoys Gravity's Rainbow.

Coachella Junkie

Although I'm not sure boring is the right word for it.

Anyone ever read this? Or any Bolano? One of my all-time favs.

Amazing grasp of plot and character. Incredible novel...

Here's another one of my favs too. Mark Danieleski. The plot isn't as great in this book, but the idea and concept of the entire piece as a work of art is AMAZING. Highly recommended.

Amazing use of the page!!! The words on the page react with the story being told.

I loved it, a lot. Like you say, the plot isn't all that, but it's an amazing exercise that everybody should give a bash at least once, just to see what's possible.

A Pynchon book can't be less pynchonesque. That's like saying an apple isn't that apple-y.

Right? The plot is a bit contrived at points, and it reads like a Stephen King novel to some degree (not that that's too bad either). But it is still SUCH a great first read. Sucks you in immediately from the prologue and when it begins deconstructing itself... well haha.

Read it.

I liked HoL too but probably should not have picked a weekend alone in a sprawling middle-of-nowhere partially glass-walled creepish housesitting situation to read it.

Or a House that's bigger on the inside than the outside.

Minotaur