Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1433

Thread: Coachella Board Members invade Disneyland

Default Re: Coachella Board Members invade Disneyland

Oh, the Ghiradeli opened at DCA and i had an ice cream orgasm. Fuck, it was soooooo great:

They cost about 9 bucks each. With the AP discount it came out to 15.21. After i ate it, that cost didn't bother me at all. Super sugar overload.

^^ Loving all of your photos! We didn't stop by the Ghiradeli spot yesterday... and now I wish I did!
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Hate to say it, but the land’s inhabitants have turned chunky.
    There’s more saliva dripping, busting out of their pants homosexual teenage boy employees with “do me” eyes than remembered. Every time I asked a question I felt like I was getting borderline sexually harassed during the response (training?). And it felt pretty good actually.
    Two consecutive days of CA/Land is verging on overload.
    Met Woody.
    Met Mad Hatter.
    Enjoyed Naples Pizzeria in Downtown Disney. Café Orleans’ crepes and coffees were good as well.
    Still can’t do Startours without getting sick. All that herky-jerky motion I guess.
    They put a color changing cube inside your Long Island Iced Tea drink at the Tea Party dance thingie. Definitely a nighttime must.
    Speaking of color, ‘The World of Color’ theme song doesn’t get more broadway gay with a tinge of white R&B. Compelled to leap into a spread eagle ballet jump when she sang “colorrrrrr”. But just sat there and watched instead.

Till next time in at least a few years.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I think Heather and i are going to plan a full-on Disney World/Universal Orlando trip for 2014. I was lamenting to her that i'd never been before and how badly I want to just go spend a whole week there one day and she's like, "stop whining about it and let's just go do it!" I became so happy.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Disneyland designer dies in Rancho Mirage

7:56 PM, Jun. 9, 2012
    Written by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

Stan Jolley was a senior set designer at 20th Century Fox in 1953 when he got a call from his artist friend Herb Ryman at Walt Disney Studios.

Ryman was working on the original drawings for a theme park Disney was planning and suggested Jolley meet the legendary movie mogul. With his architectural and motion picture background, Ryman told Jolley, "You'd be a perfect fit."

"I said, 'I can't. I'm under contract at Fox,'" Jolley recalled in a 2009 interview for Disney historian Scott Wolf's MouseClubhouse website. "He said, 'Well, you can get a loan-out. You'd only be here about nine months.' Eight or nine months turned into two and a half years to design it and find out where we were going to build it...."

Jolley, 86, one of the original art directors who designed Disneyland and who later worked on Disney film and TV projects, died Monday at a hospice facility in Rancho Mirage, said his family. He had gastric cancer.

His fi lm career included sharing an Oscar nomination for best art direction and set decoration as production designer for the 1985 movie "Witness" and seven years as an art director at the Disney studio.

As part of the Disneyland design team, he worked on projects that included the Golden Horseshoe saloon in Frontierland, the Autopia ride in Tomorrowland, and the Storybook Land Canal Boats attraction and interiors of Sleeping Beauty Castle in Fantasyland.

As Disney's Magic Kingdom in Anaheim began to take shape, Jolley recalled in the 2009 interview, "we were working six days and a couple of nights a week." As time went on, first one and then two more nights were added to their workweek.

"The pressure was on to finish the park," he said, "and I had had it by that time."

So much so that when Disneyland opened with great fanfare and live TV coverage on July 17, 1955, Jolley was not there. He had given his opening-day tickets to his parents and was on a two-we ek New York City vacation with his wife.

When he informed his fellow art directors that he planned to skip the Disneyland opening, he was told not to expect to have a job when he came back.

"I've been my own man my whole life," he said in the interview, and he went ahead with his vacation plans, fully expecting to be fired. Instead, when he returned to the studio, "things had calmed down" and "that's when Walt said to stay and get into TV and so forth."

At Walt Disney Studios, Jolley helped design the western street on the studio's back lot.

He also designed the studio-office set that Disney appeared in on his weekly TV anthology series, "Disneyland." The series was called "Walt Disney Presents" when Jolley worked as art director for "The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca," a 10-part miniseries that aired on the show in 1958.

Jolley was also the art director for the Oscar-nominated 1959 cartoon short "Donald in MathMagic Land" and an art director on the 1960 movie "Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks With a Circus."

After leaving Disney in 1960, he worked as an art director on television series such as "Mister Ed," "Branded," "Land of the Giants" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" - as well as the pilot episode for the 1965-70 series "Get Smart." He later was the production designer on the series "MacGyver" and "Walking Tall."

His film credits as an art director include "Taps" (1981) and "The Grass Harp" (1995), and he was the production designer on films such as "The Swarm" (1978), "Caddyshack" (1980) and "Cattle Annie and Little Britches" (1981).

The son of character actor I. Stanford Jolley, he was born May 17, 1926, in New York City and moved to Hollywood with his family in the '30s.

After serving in the Navy during World War II, Jolley began working as an apprentice set designer for Warner Bros. while attending college. He received a degree in industrial design from the University of Southern Californi a in 1951.

Jolley is survived by his daughters, Karen Nauyokas and Christina Cortes; and two granddaughters.

^R.I.P.

And i got to go to a little bit of a cast member preview of Carsland.....AWESOME. This is going to be my favorite land in DCA for sure. i only went on Radiator Springs Racers and it is a fantastic ride. Looking forward to going back and exploring it more.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    ^R.I.P.

And i got to go to a little bit of a cast member preview of Carsland.....AWESOME. This is going to be my favorite land in DCA for sure. i only went on Radiator Springs Racers and it is an fantastic ride. Looking forward to going back and exploring it more.
    My best friend and her sister (who is a cast member) went and said it was AWESOME! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

What kind of ride is Radiator Springs exactly? I read somewhere that it goes inside the mountain and there are dark ride elements - does it have animatronics? The facade is insanely impressive, but i'd be disappointed it is was simply a giant racecar ride built into a crazy a fake mountain.

I look forward to seeing Cars Land (although I've not had any interest in seeing the movies), Buena Vista Street, and the park in general without all the construction panels very much, but i'll probably wait until the fall and not entrench myself in those summer crowds.

EDIT:
    If people don't mind being spoiled a bit, here are some spectacular photos of Cars land! it does look amazing.
    http://micechat.com/5512-test-driving-cars-land/

and a nice survey of Buena Vista Street:
    http://micechat.com/5481-trip-down-buena-vista-street/
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-11-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    What kind of ride is Radiator Springs exactly? I read somewhere that it goes inside the mountain and there are dark ride elements - does it have animatronics? The facade is insanely impressive, but i'd be disappointed it is was simply a giant racecar ride built into a crazy a fake mountain.
    It's a combo animatronic / thrill ride (kinda like Splash and Indy). The cars fit 6 people. When you get sent out. the car takes a nice leisurely drive though the Radiator Springs mountains, past a real waterfall and then into the audioanimatronic recreations of scenes from Cars (very cool). At some point you go to a split where you either get new tires at Luigi's or a new paint job at Ramone's. Once your car is all spiffy, then you race! Gets going pretty fast and is FUN. Total time on the ride is around that 4:30 range. The queue is really nice.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

sorry if it was mentioned above, but i also heard that car land will keep CA adventure open later.

i'm hoping i'm well enough for a trip to disneyland this halloween/christmas. i'm long overdue.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

http://www.vice.com/read/disneyland-california-goth-day

I just found out about this and was wondering if there's a list of different sub culture days' at Disneyland there are?
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

i always wonder what popular raver gets to pick raver day.

The queue is really nice.
    do all the hieroglyphics spell out at&t slogans?

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    http://www.vice.com/read/disneyland-california-goth-day

I just found out about this and was wondering if there's a list of different sub culture days' at Disneyland there are?
    This article was fun, I laughed. I am also curious about the different sub culture days.. and who plans them and how you get one going..
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Bats day was fun! A few of us here were at Disneyland during it.

This is the official website: http://www.batsday.net/

There is also Dapper Day: http://www.dapperday.com/

And Gay Day: http://www.gayday2.com/

EDIT:

ha, Mike took a photo of that same girl that was the last photo in the Vice article.

Thanks. Here's a couple from Bats Day:

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    last.fm

Time to sell the family on Dapper Day
    The original Disneyland designers frequently populated their renderings with guests who appeared dressed for a day of sophisticated entertainment, men in sharp suits, toddlers working two-pieces, and ladies looking like a page from Dior's sketchbook - all as if a visit to Disneyland were on par with a night at the opera. And why shouldn't it be? That's what Dapper Day is about, realizing those designer's dreams that Disneyland be experienced as the upscale escape that it is, filled with fashionable guests ready for fun.

Interpret this however you like. A period "Mad Men" look is as correct as the latest haute couture.

I have a question. I haven't been to Disneyland for like 15 years and am thinking of going on Wed & Thursday or Thursday & Friday with my family. My question(s) is: is it going to be crazy packed? are there going to be like 2 hour lines for the good rides? Do they still have fast passes and are they worth it?
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 06-17-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Pretty much any time in the middle of summer is going to be packed.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I have a question. I haven't been to Disneyland for like 15 years and am thinking of going on Wed & Thursday or Thursday & Friday with my family. My question(s) is: is it going to be crazy packed? are there going to be like 2 hour lines for the good rides? Do they still have fast passes and are they worth it?
    It is going to be packed, but maybe not as bad as you think. 2 of the annual passes are blocked those days, but this is the opening week of Cars Land and people are flooding DCA. Disneyland as a result is not as crazy as it usually is. Newly refurbished Matterhorn might be about an hour wait. Fast passes are mostly good. Disneyland has been very casual about the time you use a fast pass, so collecting them throughout the day and then using them all in a row at the end of the day has been pretty awesome. Fast Pass for Radiator Springs Racers in DCA is being strictly enforced. If you don't show up for the appointed time, too bad. The stand by line this weekend has been ridiculous (5-7hours), but that should mellow to 2-3 this week. Fast Pass for the ride could be an hour and they have been running out of very early around 9:30AM. This ride is awesome balls, so if it is a main part of the family agenda, get in to DCA right when they open, someone collect all the group's tickets and bolt for the fast pass line (currently in Bug's Land by the It's Tough to Be a Bug 3D theater). Then go do the other rides at Cars Land because that's the shortest they will be all day. Plan your time around your return for the Racers, but if the line isn't too bad, the ride is cool enough to get on twice if convenient. Be aware of when you can next get a fast pass. The other rides might not be doing the strict enforcement Racers is. Waiting for 15 minutes for Tower of Terror is a lot better than an hour. The other fast passes worth getting at DCA are for Screaming, Soaring (still great) and since it will be hot more than likely, Grizzly Rapids. Go ahead and get a fast pass for World of Color just in case you feel like checking it out. The WOC fast pass does not count towards your ability to collect fast passes for rides. Impressive in scale, but not as great a show as Fantasmic in Disneyland. So many ways to do the day.

If you need a break for drinking, DCA lets you walk around with the drink you buy where ever you do in the park. Trader Sam's is a Tiki Room themed bar by the pool for the older Disneyland Hotels. Fun place to drink. The bar inside the Grand Californian is cool and has quick access back to DCA. Best place to drink inside DCA in my opinion is the Cove Bar on Paradise Pier. If you do it during World of Color, they will tack on a $10 cover for each person. Cool once, but not the best way to see that show (straight on is). The Mad Tea Party at night also serves up booze and is kinda fun.

Where you staying? Hopefully somewhere close so it won't be too much effort to get into the parks as soon as they open. Those first couple of hours are great for getting on rides and collecting fast passes. If you are staying at a Disney hotel (pricey as fuck), they offer magic morning hours to guests. Parts of the parks and some rides are open an hour before the park opens to the public.

i'll try to answer questions.

Thanks so much Mike! We are staying in Costa Mesa so not too far away. So If we decide to go we would get there right when the park opens.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Reporting from DCA - just had a diabetic explosion from the ghrirardelli store. I had the butterscotch hot fudgesunday... I have never been so high on sugar in my life and it is amazing.

PS - cars land is freaking amazing.

I'm high on sugar.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Today is day 3 of my Disneyland birthday funabration.
    Carsland IS amazing (go at night when it's lit up)
    We haven't been on RSR yet but I'm glad it's over there in DCA because we've been able to get on tons of stuff easily over in the main park while seemingly everyone is over at Carsland.

Today I try Tower of Terror and the all you can eat Frontierland BBQ for the first time.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Back in 2008, I went with my sister and Dad in the summer right around the 4th of July (I think it was a Thursday), and even though it was pretty packed we managed to ride on almost every single ride (including all the major ones) in both parks (Disneyland and California Adventure) and we did so without any fast passes (actually the only fast pass we had was for Space Mountain, and that was only because my sister and I met this family in line for the Finding Nemo ride, and we hit it off pretty well and they invited us to use their fast passes with them)...so moral of the story, it's possible to go ride everything over the course of a full day....don't let long lines discourage you...they move pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Today is day 3
    I wonder what the record is. And if they are still sane.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    all you can eat Frontierland BBQ for the first time.
    i've done this for the first and second time this year. Love it. Go hungry.

Some recently posted pictures:

Ate at the Hungry Bear for the first time in years. The food has improved.

This cupcake was there.

A cool little gallery called the Wonderground Art Gallery opened in Downtown Disney. This is by Martin Hsu.

Farms are expensive.

There's a girl who lets me hang out with her. Here's a peek at one of her tattoos.

The Doom Buggy paused enough to kinda get this.

Saw some wild Disney kittens in the bushes by the hotel on the way to Trader Sam's.

i can haz a drink too

Trader Sam's.

You're really making me want to buy an annual pass Ivan...

If you live in OC, kinda of hard not to have one.

We live in New Mexico and have the Annual passes (have family in LA, so we visit enough that it made sense, given our love of Disney). Sad that the price went up so much, this month, and that we were not aware in time to get new passes and grandfather in for at least one more year under the still reasonable price of $499. We'll have to think about it when it comes time to renew in March. Got to ride Radiator Springs Racers twice while we were there this past week, once in the morning and once at night. We used our early morning annual pass entry and were able to ride the ride and then get a fast pass for later that night. We got the paint job both times, so will have to keep trying for the new tires bit. We loved the new area, and the later hour too. They re-opened California Screamin' after the last World of Color show and we got to ride it at night. That was cool. Also didn't know Toy Story Mania remains open during the World of Color, which meant our wait was only 20 minutes, versus 45! All in all, a good quick trip to check out Cars Land. Can't wait to go back during the holidays, or perhaps sooner...
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

This past birthday weekend at Disneyland was the single best time Ive had there in a half dozen trips to the park.
    We even went to a character breakfast...

Plus I found an awesome retro-PanAm-style flight bag. Been wanting a bag like this for a very long time.

Last edited by HandBanana; 06-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough