Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 434445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,433 of 1433

Thread: Coachella Board Members invade Disneyland

Default Re: Coachella Board Members invade Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    Prices just went up, again.

Day passes are now $92.

The Deluxe Annual Passport is now $499.

The Premium Annual Passport is now $669.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,4374914.story
    Unbelievable. Prices just went up, again.

Day passes are now $96.

The Hopper is now $150 (up from $137)

The Deluxe Annual Passport is now $519.

The Premium Annual Passport is now $699.

I was gonna get the lowest level pass, but nevermiiiiiind.

They suspended sales of the so cal select passport for locals, too. Pretty ridiculous that prices have doubled in 10 years. Some of my greatest memories as a teenager were having passes and spending several summer nights a week wreaking havoc at that place.

From what I read, DL sold too many of the SoCal passes, leading to overcrowding. I have the premium pass and I have to say, over the last couple years, it has been very crowded most times I have visited, so if this thins out the crowd a little bit, so be it.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

It has been really crowded the last couple times I went too (in October).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It's not gonna thin out the crowds, though.

We haven't been in 4 yrs. Even then I thought the price was outrageous. With this new increase, we've pretty much resigned ourselves that we're not going back, save for this: Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. My niece takes her son every year; she says it's super fun, much lower entrance fee, much shorter lines (THIS THIS THIS), smaller crowds. Less time in park, but if you actually get to ride the rides and enjoy yourself while you're there, then going might actually be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

When I was a kid in the mid-90's my family bought annual passes. They were $99 at the time (before California Adventure). The premium with no blackout dates was $199. Eventually they introduced the deluxe which was like $129. I had my pass for over 10 years until I just couldn't deal with the crowds anymore. I was last there in 2010 and I can only imagine how crowded it is now. By comparison I went to Knott's a few weekends ago, paid $20 to get in (w/ a coupon) and experienced minimal crowds all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    When I was a kid in the mid-90's my family bought annual passes. They were $99 at the time (before California Adventure). The premium with no blackout dates was $199. Eventually they introduced the deluxe which was like $129. I had my pass for over 10 years until I just couldn't deal with the crowds anymore. I was last there in 2010 and I can only imagine how crowded it is now. By comparison I went to Knott's a few weekends ago, paid $20 to get in (w/ a coupon) and experienced minimal crowds all day.
    Yep, I bought a couple of those in the late 90s, and I was (and still am) living in Arizona.

Haven't been to Disneyland since before the addition of California Adventure.
    Dying to go again soon. Sure is pricey though.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Maybe I'll boycott Disney and go to Knott's instead.

Is it more crowded in terms of numbers or have the people just doubled in size taking up more space? Last I was there it seems it could be the latter.

There's a great deal at Albertsons for locals. It's a park hopper for like 160 or something, but I think it expires June 6th.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I went on the Saturday before Mother's Day and even though it was insanely crowded, we were able to go on a ton of rides thanks to fast passes and single rider lines - my whole group literally walked onto both Matterhorn and Splash Mountain thanks to this. We also had a leisurely lunch at Traders Sam's with a lot of drinks for about 2 hours. You can get a lot done with huge crowds if you plan well and just relax and don't let yourself get frustrated. We did the Socal thing - we paid $120 each and did a full day of California Adventure and then returned last week for DL. it was totally worth it.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Haven't been to Disneyland since before the addition of California Adventure.
    Dying to go again soon. Sure is pricey though.
    I do love California Adventure quite a bit, and it's improved a lot in just the last couple years. The new Cars Land is pretty neat, although the line for it's big attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, gets long fast (in addition to it's Fast Passes running out VERY early in the day being a given). Also, excluding of DL's Club 33, CA is the only park where you can get adult beverages.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I really enjoy that you can get alcohol everywhere in CA and they let you walk around with your beer or wine too.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Whoa whoa whoa.

They sell alcohol at CA, and you can walk around with it.

I've been avoiding that park for so many years...

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

I still miss the "ElecTRONica" nights at California Adventure though, if only for Flynn's Arcade.

Theme night listing:

Any board members going to the 24hr event? Disneyland and CA Adventure will be open from 6:00AM-6:00AM Its a summer kick off and the theme is villains, and you can dress up. I've heard these events are crazy packed.. but being at DLAND so late sounds so fun.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/24-hour-event/
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Well, I would have, but I had planned a trip to go to DisneyWorld for Star Wars Weekends on Memorial Day Weekend before I heard about the 24 hour event. So instead I will be attending the 24 hour event at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. It sounds like it will be pretty cool with the Villains theme happening.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

OH OH OH

Disney park crowding reveals options: Hike rates or expand

By Hugo Martin

May 21, 2014, 5:00 AM

"The Happiest Place on Earth" has become one of the most crowded..

Tourists and annual pass holders are flooding Disneyland and California Adventure in large numbers, causing headaches for guests and park officials. Waits for rides often stretch over an hour, and visitors are having to park in remote structures, particularly on Sundays.

Industry experts say the crowding problem leaves Walt Disney Co. with two options: Keep hiking rates until attendance becomes manageable, or expand the park.

Over the weekend, the Anaheim park raised single-day ticket prices by $4 to $96 and temporarily halted new sales of a popular annual pass for Southern California residents.

Disneyland officials say they have no current plans for a new Anaheim park, but that hasn't stopped speculation.

Many longtime park watchers say now may be the time to dust off plans, dating to 2000, to build a third park on a 78-acre site just south of Disney's complex on Harbor Boulevard.

Those plans were shelved while the company focused on the 2001 opening of Disney California Adventure, which fell short of expectations until a $1-billion expansion in 2012 added the hugely successful Cars Land.

After Disney acquired Marvel Entertainment Inc. in 2009 and Lucasfilm in 2012, many fans hoped a third park would feature Marvel superheroes or characters from the "Star Wars" franchise.

"Maybe they'll do Star Wars Land or Indiana Jones Adventure or Marvel characters," said Todd Regan, founder of the Disney blog site MiceChat.com. "It will be interesting to see what happens."

At least for now, Disneyland officials say they are focused on expanding parking. They're buying a lot at the corner of Harbor Boulevard and Ball Road with room for 1,400 parking spaces for employees, freeing up more parking for guests.

"Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience for all of our guests, and we will continue to look for ways to achieve the right in-park balance," said Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown.

Industry experts say Disney might be better off focusing its attention on other theme park projects, including a $4-billion resort in Shanghai, slated to open next year.

"They've got a lot on their plate," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati.

Disneyland does not disclose attendance numbers. But estimates from Aecom, a Los Angeles engineering and consulting firm, show visitor numbers have increased nearly every year from 2004 to 2012.

And they're continuing to rise. Disney reported a 18% increase in operating income from theme parks and resorts for the six months ending March 29.

The attendance surge comes as the nation's travel industry enjoys a surge in spending as the economy continues to rebound from the recession and a more recent lull in travel during winter storms on the East Coast and in the Midwest.

Speigel said theme parks across the country could see double-digit increases — as much as 25% — in attendance this year.

"We are seeing the shaping up of a tremendous 2014," he said.
    In Southern California, Universal Studios Hollywood also recently increased its one-day ticket prices, from $84 to $92, just $4 shy of Disneyland's new prices.

But it was Disneyland's suspension of sales of its $379 Southern California Annual Passport that is expected to play the biggest role in reducing crowds. The pass offered access to the park 215 days of the year, including Sundays.

Local pass holders often crowd the parks, leaving little space for out-of-town travelers who typically stay in Disney hotels and spend more on souvenirs. The program gained popularity in 2008, when the company began offering a monthly payment plan.

Radiator Springs Racers, one of the rides opened in 2012 at Cars Land at Disney California Adventure Park, draws crowds. (Mark Boster, Los Angeles Times)

"Pass holders use the park differently than others," said Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix, an annual pass holder and chief executive of the Disney fan site MousePlanet.com. "You go to the park like you would go to hang out at the mall with your friends."

The move to suspend sales of the annual passports, industry experts say, is an attempt to reduce Sunday numbers and encourage local residents to visit during the week, when crowds are smaller.

Disney continues to sell a $289 annual pass — not including weekend visits — for Southern California residents. Disneyland officials say they have no plans to suspend the sales of any other passes.

It's not the first time Disneyland has tried to ease crowding through price increases. Two years ago, the park raised rates for one of its most expensive passes, allowing access 365 days a year, to $649 — a 30% increase. It didn't work.

"It's a challenging situation," said John Gerner, managing director of Leisure Business Associates, a theme park consultant. "Disney doesn't want to be seen as taking advantage of customers, but they have an obligation to try to make as much profit as possible from their park."

Other pass holders complained that the park has not added new attractions to justify the higher prices.

"Nothing has really changed or been added in years," said annual pass holder Ken Bruce, a longtime fan and visitor to Disneyland.

Bruce owns the cheaper Southern California annual pass that blocks out weekend admission. But he worries that Disneyland may consider suspending his pass to make room for high-spending out-of-town visitors.

"By and large, annual pass holders have a very strong emotional connection to the park and know the history," he said. "To go for that blind money grab seems they are not paying attention to us."
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Hey Ron, you going this year?