Page 254 of 297 FirstFirst ... 249250251252253254255256257258259 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,620 of 8900

Thread: The Official Soccer, Football, Futbol, and Footie Thread

Default Re: The Official Soccer, Football, Futbol, and Footie Thread

Huge win for the U.S. tonight

And Van Persie...you're dead to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomena View Post
    Now we just have to beat them on home turf again and it's official.
    Or, you know, when it counts. But, good win. Mexico blew some chances and Howard was a beast, particularly at the end.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

I think RvP is confused about where he signed

Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    History is made. Go USA!

meh.. it was just a friendly match. Have you guys forgotten already the 2-4 Gold Cup final?

Chicharito had like 5 or 6 REALLY CLEAR chances to score. It was just one of those days.

We'll meet again next year in official matches.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

A good win, nonetheless. Keep in mind the US had a brand new back 4 unit. Howard had to be on his game, and he was. No doubt this will make the qualifying matches even more intense.

And, in other news...meet the new Magpie.

Slightly better start to the season than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post

Slightly better start to the season than expected.
    Loved it. Well deserved win.

I couldn't bring myself to watch that game last night for fear of spewing bile across the room when RvP come on in a United shirt, but I'm glad Everton were able to spoil the party. Sucks about you guys losing Rodwell to City, but at least you got a good fee and are bringing in Mirallas to help out up front.

I thought Arsenal had a decent first game despite the 0-0 draw; we didn't look very sharp (missed a lot of chances in front of goal, passing was pretty slow, etc.), but I chalk that up to a short preseason and a flux of new players who haven't had much time to train - had this been a few weeks later, I'm sure Giroud would have smashed that late chance in the top corner. That said, I thought Cazorla was fantastic, as he was a part of all the good things we did going forward, and I am extremely excited to watch him this season.

As for selling Song, he's a good player but not one who is irreplaceable, and considering we bought him for 500K pounds and sold him for close to 15 million it was a good piece of business on our part. Apparently he's been rather disruptive in the dressing room and had a poor attitude in training, and those are the kinds of players we don't need at the club. I really hope we can bring in Sahin (apparently the sticking point is Arsene's insistence on a purchase option at the end of the loan, something which Real are balking at), as I think he'll be just the kind of player we need in the midfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I watched the Arsenal game (out of all the matches on Sat, I chose the only one with no goals). Arsenal looked good, but the best chances they had involved them not even hitting the target. They are definitely going to miss RvP's clinical finishing.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I watched the Arsenal game (out of all the matches on Sat, I chose the only one with no goals). Arsenal looked good, but the best chances they had involved them not even hitting the target. They are definitely going to miss RvP's clinical finishing.
    Exactly. So many chances with nothing to show for it. Hopefully that changes, or it will be a very long season for Arsenal.

Newcastle thankfully doesn't have that issue. They don't create nearly as many chances (for the most part), but having clinical finishers in Ba, Cisse', and to a lesser extent, Ben Arfa is crucial.

ARSENAL IN CRISIS

Seriously though, I agree that we'll miss Robin's finishing in these early weeks of the season but I have every confidence that Podolski and Giroud will both come good sooner rather than later and start banging them in. Both players have had very, very little game time with the team (Podolski got about 60 minutes in our last preseason game against Cologne, Giroud only had 45) outside of practice, and coupled with their International breaks after the Euros they're bound to be missing a bit of match sharpness.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Not getting any better for Arsenal. No goals yet this season.

Another win for my lot, although Villa look like relegation fodder this season.

Real Madrid just lost to Getafe. 5 points behind Barca after 2 games.

Defensively we are much improved from last year, so that's positive. I still stand by what I wrote about the offense last week, and I was happy with the way in which we moved the ball around more quickly than we did against Sunderland. It also bears pointing out that we didn't score in the first two games of last season either, and that was WITH He Who Shall Not Be Named in the team.

Glad you guys are hitting some good form at the beginning of the season, and hats off for snagging Niang - is that a done deal?

EDIT: this looks like it might sting a bit

Last edited by nosurprises12; 08-26-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Rooney out for 4 weeks and will miss both the WC qualifiers we have at the start of Sept.

Ugly performance overall from Newcastle. Nothing in the first half, but was the better side in the second. Torres made the most of getting nicked for the penalty. Quality shot on the 2nd goal. Anita got his baptism in the PL. Did not look comfortable at all.

Villa look like relegation fodder this season.
    No fooling. Maybe I saved the receipt for the scarf I bought last year somewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Champions League Groups are set:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...-death?cc=5901

Group D definitely the "Group of Death". Winners of the PL, Bundesliga, La Liga, and Eredivisie. Will be fun to watch!

Yeah, that group is a killer - should make for some entertaining games!

Transfer deadline day - anyone else watching SkySports' coverage? Aside from making fun of the ugly Stoke fans, this scene outside of the Tottenham training ground was the most exciting moment I've seen so far:

Ha, that is pretty good. Been some interesting moves. Berbs (aka Sleepy) to Fulham, van der Vaart to Hamburg, De Jong (De Goon) to Milan, among others.

Robbed - Twice.

The first was a real close call (which, admittedly, they got wrong), but the second was pretty damn obvious; goal-line technology can't come soon enough IMO.

Glad my boys have started to find their scoring boots, especially with a tough three games in the next week and a half (at Montpelier in the CL, at City, and home to Chelsea). Oh, and Cazorla has been a fucking magician so far and an absolute joy to watch.

Robbed - Twice.
    You were, I will admit. My boys are fortunate to walk out with a point.

I will say Pardew just needs to stick to an attacking mindset from now on. Every time I see the squad come out with a lone striker, etc...I know what will happen. Zero possession, and the constant barrage of long balls that never find the mark. Then, when they finally switch tactics, things change. The strength of the team is in attack, not in possession.

Chris, your boys look good this season. Nice to see them get out of the gates quickly for a change, I am sure.

Indeed. Another 3 points today. Sitting second and playing some damn fine football.

A harsh red and a weak penalty give an undeserving Man U the win. Liverpool were the better team today
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

A good performance from Arsenal today in our first real test of the season, and one I felt we could have won had Gervinho showed a bit more composure in front of goal - he had a golden opportunity to score in each half, but fluffed his lines at the crucial moment. It's still a bit weird to say off the back of recent seasons, but I was again impressed with the way our entire team is defending as a unit. The two goals we've conceded in the league so far have been down to goalkeeping mistakes, and I think that says a lot about the influence Bould and Banfield have had on the team. If we can sharpen up in front of goal I think we have an excellent chance to win something this season.

EDIT - fucking lol
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 09-23-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Shouldn't laugh at the Germans, but I'm going to. Right now.

Shouldn't laugh at the Germans, but I'm going to. Right now.

Ha blew a 4-0 lead to those crazy Swedes. The guy on Sportscenter used the San Diego-Denver MNF game as an analogy. Pretty accurate.

A couple questions- I know the US doesn't have many legit scoring options, so is Jose Altidore really replaceable?

This Brazilian guy Hulk that plays for Zenit St Petersburg- is that seriously his name? Dude is one helluva player. But c'mon... that had to be a name change...
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

I believe he got that nickname in the Japanese league because of his appearance. Somehow it stuck.