Page 295 of 296 FirstFirst ... 290291292293294295296 LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,850 of 8878

Thread: The Official Soccer, Football, Futbol, and Footie Thread

Default Re: The Official Soccer, Football, Futbol, and Footie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    i get so happy whenever this thread is bumped.

all talk of Khedira transferring to Arsenal is pretty much dead at this point, yes?
    Yeah, we've pulled out because of his wage demands apparently. The new rumored CM target is William Carvalho of Sporting, with O Jogo reporting over the weekend that we have made an initial bid; he would be a fantastic signing, but who knows who it will be at this point.

It seems we've wrapped up a deal for Ospina, though, which makes me quite happy as he'll provide excellent competition to Szczesny.

With Sanchez, Debuchy, and Ospina signed, I think we'll see a CM for sure, a new CB if Vermaelen goes to United (rumored that we want either Jones or Smalling in return), a backup RB if Jenkinson goes out on loan, and maybe (but probably not) a backup striker for Giroud.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Yeah, we've pulled out because of his wage demands apparently. The new rumored CM target is William Carvalho of Sporting, with O Jogo reporting over the weekend that we have made an initial bid; he would be a fantastic signing, but who knows who it will be at this point.

It seems we've wrapped up a deal for Ospina, though, which makes me quite happy as he'll provide excellent competition to Szczesny.

With Sanchez, Debuchy, and Ospina signed, I think we'll see a CM for sure, a new CB if Vermaelen goes to United (rumored that we want either Jones or Smalling in return), a backup RB if Jenkinson goes out on loan, and maybe (but probably not) a backup striker for Giroud.
    Think Arteta will be taking a backseat?

I really think it depends on the player who comes in. The problem with just automatically dropping Arteta for "X Player" is that Arteta does more than just screen the defense and play simple balls out of the back - he's essentially Arsene's voice on the pitch, and we depend heavily on his tactical decisions in moving play intelligently from defense to attack (a general comparison would be Xavi's offensive role at Barca, in that he dictates the start of an attack from deep). That means it would take a special player to flat out replace all that he brings to the team, and I can't think of many players Arsene would put that kind of trust in immediately.

If we do manage to sign a more holding midfielder a la Carvalho, Schneiderlin (who I'd LOVE for us to buy btw), the Bender twins, etc., I think in games where we are the better side or where we'll have the bulk of the possession Arteta would get the nod, but against more evenly-matched teams (especially away from home), those who press high up the field, and/or those who play well on the counter this new signing could slot in as he would make up for the physicality/athleticism Arteta lacks.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Did the Remy signing ever go through officially?

I don't really trust anything outside of the official Liverpool site and ESPN.

BleacherReport reported that:

"QPR striker Loic Remy has agreed a four-year deal with Liverpool. According to reports, the France striker agreed an 80-000-a-week deal with the Reds after passing a medical in Boston yesterday.

The Reds are set to pay the Hoops 8.5m for Remy, who scored 14 goals last season whilst on loan at Newcastle."

Did it really go down?
    Lucidity, come back to me. Put all five senses back to where they're meant to be.

ESPN FC are now reporting that the Remy deal fell through because of concerns with his medical
    http://www.espnfc.us/story/1962435/l...loic-remy-deal

Yeah, just read about it. "Failed" medical can mean so many things. He probably showed up out of shape. I am curious now ff Newcastle will submit an offer. I will say that when he was on the pitch for my team, he game 100%. Really all you can ask.

I bet the real reason is simply that Liverpool couldn't sell Borini to Sunderland.

I feel like I've been in a dream this summer, as all four of our July (July! Not August 31st!) signings will improve the squad immediately. However, I think our most important signing started work today, as we have officially hired Shad Forsythe as our new head of strength and conditioning. He's extremely well-respected and is coming from working with the German national team who were one of the fittest teams at the WC (I read that the amount of ground Germany covered as a team in the QF against France was the equivalent of having an extra 3/4 of a player on the field!), and the hope is that he'll help in sorting out our injury problems as that's really what did us in last season.

If we can add a "unit" in midfield (which I think we will, but probably not until closer to the end of August) and a replacement CB if Vermaelen leaves, and I think we are genuine title contenders.

That is big, as Arsenal has been notorious for having multiple nagging injury concerns over the years. Hamstring pulls, etc.

Yeah, lots and lots of "soft tissue" injuries such as pulls, tears, and strains, which apparently are the "easiest" to avoid with proper preparation and rehabilitation after the game or practice.

My only concern is that a big chunk of our our first 11 is either only just getting back into training (Koscielny, Giroud, Debuchy, and Sanchez) or still a week away from return (Ozil, Per, and Poldi), so it'll be important to avoid a slow start especially with the two CL qualifiers at the end of August.

Everton fans must be chuffed about Lukaku.

the Khedira transfer rumors are circulating again, he may have reduced his wage demands.

That's a HUGE signing for Everton, and Besic was a smart transfer too. sonofhal, do you think the squad is ready for the added demands of playing in the EL this season? I can't imagine there will be many more transfers coming in given Lukaku's fee.

I'm not so sure about the Khedira stuff - why would he take a pay cut to transfer now when he could just see out his contract with RM and, because he'd be on a free, make it easier to get the wages he really wants?

Nice, happy for Everton and Lukaku. He is where he is wanted, and he has proven he can flourish in Martinez's system.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I bet the real reason is simply that Liverpool couldn't sell Borini to Sunderland.
    Unlikely, considering Borini left the team's tour and headed back to England last week. Poyet said today that talks are ongoing with Borini. The failed medical is probably the truth, considering his history. Aside from that, I think Liverpool are looking at a bigger grab in someone like Reus.
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

Landon Donovan announced his retirement today after the end of the season. I can't say I am totally shocked but honestly though it would have happened after next season. Anyways have to go to a few more Galaxy games this season now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Ok, prediction time. Season starts on Saturday. Here are my table picks...what are yours?:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Manchester United

5. Everton
    6. Liverpool
    7. Tottenham
    8. Newcastle United
    9. Swansea
    10.Stoke
    11. West Ham
    12. West Brom
    13. Leicester
    14. Sunderland
    15. QPR
    16. Hull
    17. Aston Villa
    18. Southampton
    19. Crystal Palace
    20. Burnley

Surprise drop for me is Southampton. I think they take a huge step back after all the departures.

I'm going to hold off on predictions until the close of the transfer window, as if a few clubs make some signings they need my predictions as of today would certainly change. For example, if Barkley is truly out for months rather than the weeks mentioned yesterday Everton would have to bring someone else in if they're going to stay in 5th. Same for United and Arsenal - if the right additions are made, I could see United getting back in the Top 4 and us having a very strong chance for the title.

Great day of action today, btw! The highlights include:

--Ashley Young getting shit on by a bird
    --An excited pitch invader taking a decent freekick after a 70 yard sprint from the other side of the field
    --Santi getting sprayed in the face with the magic foam
    --PSG's Thiago Motta getting head-butted in the tunnel after the game

As for Arsenal, I was happy with our result but the performance shows much sharpness we really lack at this early stage of the season; we will definitely need to improve for our trip to Turkey on Tuesday.

Weird start to EPL given that Arsenal were the only team to get 3 points at home. I agree with you, nosurprises, we looked a bit rusty, especially later in the match when communication seemed to be an issue, but I'll tip my cap to CP as they made things difficult for the Gunners, despite the possession advantage Arsenal had. I'm happy with the start the season, and fingers crossed for a good showing in Champions League!
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

this backheel assist from Tadic was lovely
    https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0B1AE...y4apOZvgIsweX9

rooting for Southampton and Leicester to avoid relegation.

and Brendan Rodgers has upped his eyeliner and chapstick game, he was looking especially youthful today.

Inch perfect pass with his other foot.

Lucidity, come back to me. Put all five senses back to where they're meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    this backheel assist from Tadic was lovely

rooting for Southampton and Leicester to avoid relegation.

and Brendan Rodgers has upped his eyeliner and chapstick game, he was looking especially youthful today.
    Almost as good as Dzeko's! Southampton will be fine this season; I think Top 10 would represent a very good finish, but they certainly won't be relegation candidates. And yes, Brendan's public midlife crisis is in full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by geo-god View Post
    Inch perfect pass with his other foot.
    Filthy.

Quote Originally Posted by nine day brawl View Post
    Weird start to EPL given that Arsenal were the only team to get 3 points at home. I agree with you, nosurprises, we looked a bit rusty, especially later in the match when communication seemed to be an issue, but I'll tip my cap to CP as they made things difficult for the Gunners, despite the possession advantage Arsenal had. I'm happy with the start the season, and fingers crossed for a good showing in Champions League!
    You're right about Palace's organization being a big factor in our struggles as well - they were terrific in closing down passing lanes and pushing us out wide. It's promising, though, that we can grind out results despite not playing well and that bodes well for the early part of the season when many of our key players will still be finding their form and fitness.

any thoughts on Calum Chambers' performance on Saturday? one or two mistakes aside, he was a delight to watch. surprisingly composed and astute for someone his age.

Burnley are getting walloped by Chelsea. this pass from Cesc is a beauty https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/E3699...ZFnj1CVZ8PMrKb

You hit it pretty well in regards to Chambers, actually; the best compliment I can give is that he seems a natural for the position, and it's been like that in all four games he's played since signing. Like all talented 19 year old he'll blow hot and cold, and I'm sure Wenger will still bring in a 4th CB, but 16m could seem a huge bargain in a few years time and the fact that he can fill in at RB (and maybe eve in midfield) is just icing on the cake. I just hope he gets consistent time (or at least a majority of his game time) in a single position; just look at Phil Jones to see what constantly playing different positions can do to a promising player.

nosurprises12 !!! You gonna watch the Everton v Arsenal game at Fox and Hounds?

^ Unfortunately no, I've got some stuff to take care of before heading out to FYF Fest; I might try for the CL 2nd leg game on Wednesday, though.

This Balotelli to Liverpool transfer sure happened in a hurry. He's a brilliant player when motivated and on-form, but for me this has a much higher potential for calamity than improvement for Liverpool because, for all his undoubted talent, he's a fucking nut and a rather selfish player, and I worry that he could really destabilize a lot of the good work Rodgers has done with the team's spirit and unity.

Yeah, brilliant player when he works, but he rarely works. Liverpool are so smooth with their play as it stands, just see him as a speed bumo at times slowing them down and missing opportunities. That being said, I dont see him playing that often with Sturridge and Lambert there. Maybe as a CL or Cup player more than a league player.

I just think it's telling that some of the best managers in the world couldn't tame him, and that his last three clubs seem to have had no reservations about selling him either.

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Yeah, brilliant player when he works, but he rarely works. Liverpool are so smooth with their play as it stands, just see him as a speed bumo at times slowing them down and missing opportunities. That being said, I dont see him playing that often with Sturridge and Lambert there. Maybe as a CL or Cup player more than a league player.
    I highly doubt balotelli is gonna be used as just a CL or cup player.

Smacks of some desperation from Liverpool. I've never thought Balotelli was worth all the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    I highly doubt balotelli is gonna be used as just a CL or cup player.
    Well i doubt he will start over Danny boy. Maybe they start two up front? Idk. Their midfield is pretty fucking stacked with attackers. Once Lallana is healthy as well, there wont be much room for two up front. Injury is the best way for Mario in starting line up.