Thread: Mildly Inconvenient At Several Speeds

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Mildly Inconvenient At Several Speeds

Advice and testimonials for today's discerning consumer on-the-go.

I'll start with an ironic one considering that most of this board are unwashed heathens living in hovels: Cordless vacuums

Most of my place is hardwood at the moment with a couple rooms short pile carpet, but planning to replace those two bedrooms with hardwood soon. I also have a dog that sheds a lot.
    Anyone have advice on a good cordless vacuum? Is a Dyson really worth it? What other ones do people have good experience with. I have a Hoover Lynx but in 6 months it's become worthless.

Default Re: Mildly Inconvenient At Several Speeds

Why does it have to be cordless?

We have a Dyson which is AWESOME, but it's not cordless so I can't speak to that.

because I have a long hallway, kitchen, and living room that I'd rather not go dragging a cord around and plugging in 5 different times. because of the shedding I will want to be vacuuming at least a couple times a week so cordless is mandatory.

Dyson is going to be releasing a new robot vacuum soon.
    http://www.wired.com/2014/09/dyson-r...degree-camera/

my guess is that thing will retail for at least $800. And those things are designed for rich people with big empty modern spaces
    And my dog will piss all over it. I'm resolved to get a cordless handheld or upright. It just sucks that most of the review sites seem to be vendor tainted since they glaringly leave out some brands.

Miele Hybrid cordless vacs get some good reviews but aren't as common a brand to find in the consumer reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

instead of cordless i would demand a virtual vaccum
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Apple's gonna come out with their iVac soon that will revolutionize the way we think of home floor cleaning. You can give it commands using Siri and it will turn itself off if your phone rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

but you'll have to download software updates several times a week and the battery will not be replaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Just go borrow a couple toddlers from one of your neighbors and they can just eat everyone on your floor.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

He's already got a dog, so that would be redundant.

(Somebody needs to write that screenplay. Flesh eating toddlers attack. Although, I guess it's kind of already been done with Pet Cemetery and Chuckie.)

We bought a Roomba a couple years ago. I was skeptical but mrs gazercmh really pushed for it. I gotta say it's pretty great. It gets the floors (mostly hardwood, some rugs) cleaner than other vacuums we've used and it cleans under the furniture. Only hassle is we've got one rug that's mostly black and the Roomba's sensors avoid it because it thinks it's going to go off a cliff or stairs or something. So I have to tape pieces of paper over the sensors to trick it into working (we don't have stairs so I don't have to worry about it running down them) and it's a drag if one of the pieces gets out of whack or whatever. But it wouldn't be an issue if you don't have any black rugs.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    We bought a Roomba a couple years ago. I was skeptical but mrs gazercmh really pushed for it. I gotta say it's pretty great. It gets the floors (mostly hardwood, some rugs) cleaner than other vacuums we've used and it cleans under the furniture. Only hassle is we've got one rug that's mostly black and the Roomba's sensors avoid it because it thinks it's going to go off a cliff or stairs or something. So I have to tape pieces of paper over the sensors to trick it into working (we don't have stairs so I don't have to worry about it running down them) and it's a drag if one of the pieces gets out of whack or whatever. But it wouldn't be an issue if you don't have any black rugs.
    which model do you have? Would you recommend it or rather have the next one up for some reason?

I suspect my dog would get used to it but not entirely sure until trying it.

We have a cordless Hoover that we're really quite happy with. Probably cost around $80.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Is it the Lynx? That worked great for me for about 6 months and now doesn't seem to work at all even though the motor sounds fine and the filters are clean. I think the seals are just f'd. It's a piece of garbage now.

Really? Shit. We've had our's for about a year and it still works great. A couple times, though, I've had to remove scraps of paper wedged in the suction tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I manage an independent vacuum repair/sales shop that has been in our family for 60+ years so I have a little experience with this stuff. The bottom line is that battery powered vacuums are terrible. My advice to you would be to get a cheap one and if you have to replace it every couple of years OH WELL. Spending $400 - $600 on a battery powered Dyson or Shark is crazy. They are plastic just like the cheap ones, the batteries don't last longer than the cheap ones and you are just paying for a brand name. They are a pieces of junk and won't last more than 5 years anyway. The one that I choose to sell at my store is the Eureka Quick Up Cordless 2 in 1, not because it's "top of the line" or anything but because it's just about as good as any other cordless vacuum out there and it's only $35. I've probably sold around 20 or so in the last year and haven't had much issue. If you are really going to only use it for 30-60 minutes twice a week then you should get a few years out of that battery. People run into problems with these when they buy them for their business, use them every single night for an hour and never clean the filter.
    If you can ever be talked out of having a cordless vacuum I'd recommend getting an entry level Riccar or Meile straight suction canister.

http://tinyurl.com/n6k3blm

edit: brands to avoid like the plague: Bissell, Dirt Devil, Shark
    Last edited by Taylor; 09-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you can ever be talked out of having a cordless vacuum I'd recommend getting an entry level Riccar or Meile straight suction cannister.
    I have a plug in Miele that is about 15 years old and it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I manage an independent vacuum repair/sales shop that has been in our family for 60+ years so I have a little experience with this stuff. The bottom line is that battery powered vacuums are terrible. My advice to you would be to get a cheap one and if you have to replace it every couple of years OH WELL. Spending $400 - $600 on a battery powered Dyson or Shark is crazy. They are plastic just like the cheap ones, the batteries don't last longer than the cheap ones and you are just paying for a brand name. They are a pieces of junk and won't last more than 5 years anyway. The one that I choose to sell at my store is the Eureka Quick Up Cordless 2 in 1, not because it's "top of the line" or anything but because it's just about as good as any other cordless vacuum out there and it's only $35. I've probably sold around 20 or so in the last year and haven't had much issue. If you are really going to only use it for 30-60 minutes twice a week then you should get a few years out of that battery. People run into problems with these when they buy them for their business, use them every single night for an hour and never clean the filter.
    If you can ever be talked out of having a cordless vacuum I'd recommend getting an entry level Riccar or Meile straight suction canister.

http://tinyurl.com/n6k3blm

edit: brands to avoid like the plague: Bissell, Dirt Devil, Shark
    After my experience with a relatively expensive cordless I'm somewhat inclined to take your advice on that eureka for $30 on amazon (prime, baby). Even if it works for only 6 months I'm not really put out. I don't really have any significant carpets to deal with (and the fur hides itself a little longer on the carpet anyway). Do you think this thing can handle like a fistfull of dog fur in one session? (at least once a week, not kidding. and I do shed the dog weekly so he regrows at least twice that every week)
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 09-08-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Taylor baby, this is your time to shine!

Our Roomba is the 650 and it's fine for us. We had two cats and it could handle all the shedding pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Our Roomba is the 650 and it's fine for us. We had two cats and it could handle all the shedding pretty well.
    Which Roomba do you have? I have 2 cats (they shed like crazy) and wall-to-wall carpeting. Vacuuming 2-3 times a week is a bit tiring.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Damn. He did mention it in his post. I need to go home now.

You can find deals on Roombas somewhat regularly on the slickdeals site. That's how I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    After my experience with a relatively expensive cordless I'm somewhat inclined to take your advice on that eureka for $30 on amazon (prime, baby). Even if it works for only 6 months I'm not really put out. I don't really have any significant carpets to deal with (and the fur hides itself a little longer on the carpet anyway). Do you think this thing can handle like a fistfull of dog fur in one session? (at least once a week, not kidding. and I do shed the dog weekly so he regrows at least twice that every week)
    Well it may get clogged occasionally and you might be spending some time digging out your line with some needle nose plyers. Make sure you never ever ever vacuum anything damp or wet, especially with dog hair. As long as you don't vacuum the fistful AT ONCE you should be ok most of the time. Like I said stick-vacs aren't that great and I think you're on the right track with not investing too much. If you want something a more "heavy duty" Meile has a stick vac around $200. If you are gonna invest some cash like that in a battery vacuum I'd go for that instead of a dyson or whatever.