Thread: BB getting into the vinyl game!?

Default BB getting into the vinyl game!?

can't believe this wasn't posted on here yet.

http://www.startribune.com/business/...refer=Business

Nearly killed off a decade ago by compact discs and digital music downloads, the mighty vinyl record is fighting its way back onto turntables across America.

Toe-tappers snapped up nearly 1 million records last year, a 15 percent increase and the highest level in three years, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Though the LP never lost its luster to many audiophiles and the handful of independent music stores that kept healthy numbers of them in stock, mainstream retailers now are getting into the act.

The most recent is Richfield-based Best Buy Co. Inc., which is launching a pilot project at an undisclosed number of stores.

"We've got an executive here who's basically responding to his own children and is sponsoring a test to see if there's a market," said Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson, 59, with a big belly laugh, adding, "As an old vinyl collector, this is close to my heart."

Best Buy, the nation's largest consumer electronics retailer, is predictably tight-lipped about the test, to avoid artificially tipping the scales.

But even if the retailer ends up rolling out record sales nationwide, as competitor Circuit City Stores Inc. did years ago, no one expects vinyl to drive Best Buy's earnings.

For veteran album collectors such as Scott Johnson, who recently picked up a fresh stack at Arc's Valu Village Thrift Store in Richfield, the long-playing record's rise from throwback to comeback is a welcome sign.

"Music sounds great on vinyl if you get a nice, decent copy," said Johnson of Prior Lake, who said he is in his mid-40s. "You get a warm sound. You get the liner notes, cool artwork. ... It's more fun."
    so yeah, I'm looking forward to how this pans out.
    "That's the most gangster punk rock shit out there."- Z-Trip showing his love for Paul Tollett

Default Re: BB getting into the vinyl game!?

Yeah I saw the Radiohead best of 4-vinyl set at Best Buy the other day ago. Almost got it. But it was $59.99. No thanks. NIN's Ghosts 4-vinyl set was less than $20, through Best Buy. No idea why the Radiohead one is so overpriced.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

They have to make their money some how.

Capitol/EMI overprices the hell out of their vinyl. Always.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

You couldn't have just typed out "Best Buy?" I had no idea what BB was. BB King? haha
    Last edited by amyzzz; 07-10-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

That's what I thought too Amy.

Me too, I would expect a more descriptive title from a journalist...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

best buy is an awful place to buy music. I don't understand why people bother.

oh wait... maybe because tower closed down. and there's not another decent major chain.

I pity everybody who doesn't have a real record store nearby.

that's funny. it seems that every time I see Best Buy mentioned in this forum it ends up being abbreviated. where the B.B. King conclusion comes from is beyond me. I think B.B. King "Live From His Crib" was the first vinyl album pressed.
    "That's the most gangster punk rock shit out there."- Z-Trip showing his love for Paul Tollett

Best Buy is pretty much the only place (cheap place anyway) to buy music in Mesa. I can buy it used at the used bookstores, but Stinkweeds abandoned Mesa like 10 years ago or something. (mesa --> tempe --> phoenix-by-light-rail)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    best buy is an awful place to buy music. I don't understand why people bother.

oh wait... maybe because tower closed down. and there's not another decent major chain.

I pity everybody who doesn't have a real record store nearby.
    Tower was overpriced as all hell. People can say what they want about Best Buy's corporate blah blah, but it really stands as one of the cheapest places to get new music, and they usually have a great selection. There's plenty of internet stores for the stuff they don't carry.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Tower was overpriced as all hell. People can say what they want about Best Buy's corporate blah blah, but it really stands as one of the cheapest places to get new music, and they usually have a great selection. There's plenty of internet stores for the stuff they don't carry.
    The BB by me has a surprising really good selection.

I end up buying more stuff now at Target than anywhere else. Mediocre Buy and Circuit Shitty blow goats; they're only good for loss leader $9 new releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

hmm. odd. all my experiences trying to buy at best buy have either resulted in (a) not having what I want, or (b) being some godawful price. maybe it's a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Tower was overpriced as all hell.
    tower was overpriced, but at least it was a record store. it had a selection. its main purpose was music, not electronics. I avoided tower all I could, but I still shopped there far more than I have ever shopped at best buy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I end up buying more stuff now at Target than anywhere else. Mediocre Buy and Circuit Shitty blow goats; they're only good for loss leader $9 new releases.
    target is cheap. I can understand buying there more than best buy.

I got Sigur Ros - () on vinyl for under $20 back in the day. Good times.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    You couldn't have just typed out "Best Buy?" I had no idea what BB was. BB King? haha
    I thought he meant Barbara Bush.