Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    It's a shame that this man's pretensions get in the way of some great music. His ego is unreal. And he hasn't done anything to justify that ego since 1996.
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

sent in a 949 email here in SD about the show...

Also, if you’re going to the show, we’ll have a major announcement for it sometime this week. Stay tuned but know that you could be a part of something extremely special.

Special acoustic performance? Or get on stage and actually play the songs the way they should be done?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Special acoustic performance? Or get on stage and actually play the songs the way they should be done?
    i was thinking more along the lines of a special opener...there's no openers on this tour correct?

i just hope this MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT isn't them saying the Nightmarchers are opening...

but shit i am kind of getting excited even with Corgans comments a few weeks ago about the previous members you really never know...

i was considering buying tix for the sd show last minute, but still on the fence. some of those setlists look pretty good...
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    i was considering buying tix for the sd show last minute, but still on the fence. some of those setlists look pretty good...
    i really don't think it will sell out until this weekend...so if you are on the fence wait until the announcement...that should make it a little easier...the setlists are awesome though and RIMAC is tiny so the show should be good...

A college basketball arena that holds about 5,000 people is not tiny...

A college basketball arena that holds about 5,000 people is not tiny...
    compared to any other arenas in town, yes...RIMAC is tiny...

and it definitely feels smaller than it is when you are in there...the floor really isn't that big

Still isnt the Fillmore, just saying............

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Still isnt the Fillmore, just saying............

I bought tickets for the show this past Saturday November 22. I bought 2 presale tickets for $120 with taxes n such.

A week before the show people were selling the tickets for WAY less.

Billy played 4 shows all week, but then cancels the Saturday show.

dude wtf.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

any colorado peeps picking up tics tomorrow morning ... i didnt realize they were going to the at the ogden .... thats pretty small, i may have to go cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Saturday at the Pearl in Vegas. I would have liked to go to that one.

Tickets for the December 7th Pumpkins show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, IL are ON SALE NOW!

These are sure to sell out fast so buy yours today!

I'll be at the tuesday show at universal amphitheater. (no not gibson)
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

94.9 is broadcasting the whole show tonight. you can probably listen online at fm949sd.com. starts pretty soon i think.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Tickets for the December 7th Pumpkins show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, IL are ON SALE NOW!

These are sure to sell out fast so buy yours today!
    Okay.I just bought a pair of tixs for the Aragon show. I jumped on them because I thought tixmaster proly released a block of tixs.
    I am now reading that the shows were bad and this particular show never
    sold out. Should I be nervous?

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    94.9 is broadcasting the whole show tonight. you can probably listen online at fm949sd.com. starts pretty soon i think.
    Crap, Im trying to listen now. If I knew a bit sooner, I wouldve recorded this, not to say it wont be out there after tonight.

Hey Chris, are you going to either of the Gibson shows?
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Hey Chris, are you going to either of the Gibson shows?
    No but he'll have the recordings of both shows uploaded for you before the shows even start.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Sure why not. And no Im not,, hey T.O how is it going. Youre gonna lose next week ya know.

Just got back from tonight's show. I had a great time, they played for about 2 and a half hours, and I'd say this was better than the two times I saw them last year. I didn't recognize a good portion of the songs so I'm looking forward to seeing the setlist...

What I heard on the broadcast from the dj broadcasting. Dont know the rest of the encore.

Zero
    Cherub Rock
    99 Floors
    Mellon Collie
    The Rose March
    Eye Of The Morning
    Soma
    A Song for The Sun
    Tarantula
    Eye
    Tonight Tonight
    G.L.O.W.
    Gossamer
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    Bodies
    Superchrist
    Heavy Metal Machine

Encore:

Set the Controls

Setlists for LA:

For your health

So, verdict Rocke? How was it

It was good, but it wasn't great. There was only one time I really felt that either show had a chance for greatness (Soma -> Cherub -> Zero -> Bodies), but the setlists were not solidly constructed from an energy standpoint. I am glad I went, but I can't say I was blown away, unfortunately. Hearing his complaining at the pre-show Q&A before night 1 left a bad taste in my mouth, as well.

With that said, I am extremely pleased I was able to finally hear Cupid de Locke, Bodies, and Galapagos. And it was great to hear Mayonaise and Age of Innocence again after 8 years.
    For your health

old school

The Great Pumpkin Homecoming

If they fell on night one, dusted themselves off for night two, and started running again on night three, the Smashing Pumpkins soared three weeks later on night four of what has become The Great Pumpkin Homecoming. Maybe it was the intimate backdrop of the Aragon Ballroom, but the Pumpkins certainly felt like the Pumpkins again. The packed though not sold out crowd flooded the floor and terraces, clapping and cheering endlessly for their hometown heroes throughout the two and a half hour set.

No time was wasted and within ten minutes Corgan and co. were on stage. The gloomy carnival music resonated in the dark ballroom, where there was little to be seen, save for the teasing jack o’ lantern on stage. Fans roared and stomped, ready for some Pumpkins action, and that’s exactly what happened seconds after when the band ripped right into Mellon Collie’s classic single, “Tonight, Tonight”. Immediately, any hardcore Pumpkins fan knew that something was different, considering the band hasn’t typically been opening with this tune. This assumption was confirmed when Corgan continued without a moment to reflect, diving head on into hit after hit: “Tarantula” into “Stand Inside Your Love” into “Mayonaise” and immediately into “Today”.

Fans were brilliantly confused. After having been forewarned by every media outlet that this was a band who forgot about their hits, who neglected their audience, and who did their own thing, hearing a greatest hits medley was like a surprising left hook punch. Throughout every song, even during last year’s “Tarantula”, the Chicago audience reached high for the ceiling’s painted night sky, singing word for word, to which Corgan gave appreciation for following “Today.” Then came what most might have been dreading and few were salivating for: “Gossamer.”

The sustained jam adventure, which at one time lasted nearly forty minutes, was pretty tight and short this time around. However, Corgan still remained jovial, visibly enjoying the many riff riots at the end as he laughed about with rhythm guitarist Jeff Schroeder. Before anyone knew it, the distortion crawled away and Corgan was behind the acoustic, where he churned up residency favorite “99 Floors” and up and coming “Owata”, both of which had the audience in a daze. That hardly lasted, however, as the striped frontman slung on the ol’ electric and slunk into a hair raising performance of “Soma”, which inevitably brought up a new string of hits: “Cherub Rock”, “Zero”, and “Bodies.”

Finally, after almost two hours, drummer Jimmy Chamberlin broke his shell and came to life. That’s not to say he wasn’t “on” beforehand, he most certainly was, he just felt more subdued, so to speak. “United States”, the only other cut off Zeitgeist for the night, brought him into the foreground, where he kicked up a storm. Then came some more acoustic additions: the new crowd favorite “A Song for a Son”, Mellon Collie b-side “Medellia of the Gray Skies” and the newly penned “Communion”. As if to please those “angry bearded bloggers” as he stated, Corgan threw out an extra angsty rendition of “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”, basically a prologue for “Superchrist” and the spacey-still unnecessary cover of Pink Floyd’s “Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun.”

What was most endearing about the entire concert was the inclusion of Corgan’s half brother, Jesse Corgan. His half-brother, who has battled with mild cerebral palsy and Tourette’s syndrome, came on during “Set The Controls”, playing the tambourine and the tribal drums. It was a heart warming moment seeing the two Corgans having fun with the half a dozen instruments available to them, and this continued in what was quite possibly the best encore of the band’s recent career. A stormy “Ava Adore” subsided into a dead on cut of “1979″, all finishing with a tear jerking performance of “Disarm”, which Corgan played next to Jesse. When the band finished, everyone remained standing, applauding ’til their cold hands dried up and their coarse throats were itching for water. If anyone was still a “hater”, they might need to find a new band to admonish. The Pumpkins delivered ten fold and yet still remained true to their convictions… how quaint, huh?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/1...-night-4-1208/

wow
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Setlists for LA:

i would shit my pants if they played this fucking SOMA im so jealous, crestfallen and age of innocence fukkkk

Billy Corgan has a SHITLOAD more to rant about. sigh....

Billy Corgan dishes on the Smashing Pumpkins: The past is dead to me
    Corgan: Our primary function now is to be a singles band, that drives Pumpkins Inc. through singles. We'll still be creative, but in a different form. We won't do shows like this anymore, where we try to draw a good crowd and balance the past with the present. We'll go small and do exactly what we want to do and stop playing catalogue. We'll be like a new band that can't rely on old gimmicks. I'm not stupid. I want people to feel good about what we do. What we weren't getting [from playing a more balanced show with older songs] was excitement. We're in the polarizing business. We don't want a pat on the back: Good to have you back. We want a reaction, even if it's a negative reaction.
    That's just one of the quotes the ENTIRE interview with Greg Kot of the Tribune and Sound Opinions is here.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...n-di.html#more