Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

old school

Default Re: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

i do

Smashing Pumpkins To Play Benefit Show For Madina Lake Bassist Matthew Leone

Late last month, bassist Matthew Leone of the band Madina Lake was left critically injured after witnessing a man beating his wife and stepping in--only to be brutalized by her attacker.

Thankfully, Leone survived the brutal beating, but had to have emergency brain surgery and a third of his skull removed. Now, the musician is left with piles of medical bills--and one very famous Chicago band wants to help him out.

The Smashing Pumpkins will play a last-minute benefit show for Leone next week at the Metro. Chicago's Kill Hannah will open.

Tickets went on sale today. The Chicago Tribune's Greg Kot shared the details:

Tickets go on sale at noon Wednesday through the Metro Web site, metrochicago.com. A majority will be raffled off. To enter the raffle, individuals must pay $10 per entry and may enter as many times as they wish. Each winner will receive two tickets. The raffle will end at 2 p.m. Saturday and winners will be notified via email three hours later. Balcony seats also will be sold for $100; a package including a meeting and photo with the Pumpkins and a balcony table for the show is available for $500.

Proceeds will go to the Matthew Leone Fund, part of the nonprofit Sweet Relief Musicians Fund, providing financial assistance to musicians facing illness or disability.

Justin Pivec, 33, of the 1400 Block of West Ohio, was charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm in the beating of Leone, the Tribune reports. Pivac was reportedly angry with his wife for returning home late on June 29 and began beating her in the street. Leone stepped in and Pivac attacked him.

Pivac and his wife returned home "like nothing happened" and left Leone unconscious on the street, police told the Tribune.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Hahahaha, what a foo.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    you're just now realizing this?

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Everybody knows he's mental, but he definitely deserves credit for his capacity to consistently find surprising new ways to demonstrate it.

And he can't even write good tunes anymore. Which makes all of this worse.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Billy fighting 3 Mexican wrestlers makes me really happy.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Only if they kicked his white, pretentious ass to a bloody pulp.

Sorry, Corgan has left me frustrated way too many times to not fantasize about this possibility.

old school

diggin the new material. great to hear billy taking in back.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

agreed. both Tom Tom and The Fellowship are cool songs.

Billy recently tweeted that the chick who currently plays bass for the Pumpkins is actually one of the girls from the Siamese Dream cover, but never admitted it before now because she was afraid they wouldn't let her play in the band. wtf?
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You mean the 'normal looking twin', really? Wow...

I'm skeptical.

I think its legit. Corgan is usually pretty honest and forthright in his twitter.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

unless the bassist is lying to him
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

If you sign up for the free Smashing Pumpkins record club on their site, you get a free download of the 8-track demo version of Drown...and it's fucking fantastic. The feedback at the end is insane, and is much different and not as meandering as the album version...I might even like it better. Which is saying a lot, those minutes in the original are some of my favorite in their entire catalog.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah they are going to be releasing a ton of rare/ never before bootlegged demos etc all for free on the SPRC...I'm pretty excited about it....

So last night The Smashing Pumpkins played the Wiltern here in LA and I was on the fence about whether to attend or not. On one hand they are one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time and I was a die-hard fan for many years. On the other hand, I caught them play in Santa Barabara last year and the show...for lack of a better term...sucked horribly.

I figured since the Wiltern is my favorite venue in LA I would give the band and Corgan one last shot and I'm glad I did. The show was PHENOMENAL. I was looking for every reason to hate the perforance and tell myself "now this is the last time you spend your hard-earned money on this band" but as the 2 hour + , 21 song set went on I was just continuously more and more impressed. In fact, there is no doubt this was the BEST Smashing Pumpkins show I have seen since the final shows with the original line-up in Chicago in 2000 (yes better than the 4 shows I saw in 07-08 with Jimmy on drums.) Actually a shit-load better than those.

The setlist was truly meant for die-hars fans as some of the songs had not been performed live since 1994-1995 and at that were only played a few times.

It was an EXTREMELY heavy show with little stage banter. Silverfuck was absolutely rediculous. Ruby was phenomal. Geek USA was heavy as sin. I could go on and on but just a simply AMAZING show.

Setlist:
    "Quasar"
    "Panopticon"
    "Starla"
    "Geek U.S.A"
    "Muzzle"
    "Window Paine"
    "Lightning Strikes"
    "Soma"
    "Siva"
    "Oceania"
    "Frail and Bedazzled"
    "Silverfuck"
    "Obscured"
    "Suffer"
    "Thru The Eyes of Ruby"
    "Cherub Rock"
    "Owata"
    "My Love is Winter"
    "For Martha"
    "Pissant"
    "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

Nice set, but I would have left pissed without hearing Zero. Glad you had fun Omar....was it a good crowd?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Wow, that is a pretty good set. "Pissant?" Wow.

The crowd was pretty good overall Paul. There were enough die-hard there to make it enjoyable....

And yeah

"Obscured" is one of my top 10 SP songs...has been played live about 20 times but not since 1994.

"Pissant" has been played live about 10-15 times and not since 1995

"Ruby" hasn't been played since 2000

"Geek USA" hasnt been played since 1999

So I do appreciate the fact that they really dug deep for this setlist. May not please casual fans who just want Today, BWBW, 1979, Disarm etc etc but this was a die-hard fan's dream setlist. So glad I was there.

Awesome show. Very psychedelic. I appreciated them leaving out many of their hits. Thanks for the setlist MuseRadio.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Glad you enjoyed it Thom Cobain. I agree VERY psychedelic. I really enjoyed all the interludes between songs and also apprecaited the lack of "hits" Biggest pleasant surprise of 2011 for me thus far.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

holy shit. i can't believe that setlist. this makes me even more pissed they aren''t coming to texas.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I love Frail and Bedazzled. Seeing them next Friday
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Great setlist

Love to see Pisces Iscariot get some love.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Much better setlist than what I got last year in Tampa
    Show was still really solid though

Yeah the fact that MANY of these songs haven't been played live since 94-95 and a few times even then is a real treat. The band and Billy are really focused and just plow thru the set.

The Pisces love is awesome....so many great tracks on there.

You guys seeing this tour are in for a real treat.

The Oceania tracks sound pretty good also....we'll see when that album drops in November.

Here is a pretty badass video of Geek USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1mzfEvp0U
    Last edited by MuseRadio; 10-06-2011 at 06:59 PM.

A few comments from Hipsters United fan website in case any of you are considering attending these shows or need further proof that I'm not crazy for thinking this is EASILY one of the best SP shows ever.

"The Pumpkins just delivered the most face melting, mind blowing, run me over with a semi-truck 1000 times hard hitting concert I’ve ever ever seen, and I’ve been to my share. The audience AFTER the encore was deafening for what felt like 5 minutes, I almost thought we’d get a 2nd encore. Blissful insanity."

"easily one of the top 3 SP shows I’ve been able to attend out of about 25ish. I felt like I was robbing a bank with this setlist."

"Was there last night, and I have to say, it was the best I’ve seen from the Pumpkins…ever. They were tight, loud, and having fun. Billy looked like he enjoyed playing music more than I’ve ever seen before. He was moving, jumping, pointing to the crowd, interacting with the virtuoso of guitar parts.

Even my wife, who knows nothing of the Pumpkins, but went to the 25th Ann. concert with me, mentioned how much more fun he seemed to be having. Sound-wise, it was ridiculous."

"Was at the show last night, cleary from pics I had posted and such. Can’t stress to everyone how blown away I still am. BEST SET EVER. Billy was so into it as well! Have to say Starla solo was my favorite part, but there were so many amazing parts!"