Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: Smashing Pumpkins U.S. Tour 2008/2009

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Adore was even considered disappointing on release, and sold poorly, but stands up today as one of their best.
    Adore was the first time we really saw Billy get resentful towards his fans and critics. The lackluster sales angered him greatly. It's when he started the whole ranting about how his fans should have more faith and confidence in his music and started taking things more personal. You heard more of this in his most recent on stage melt downs when he didn't feel he was being respected while playing the shitty Zeitgeist tracks. His rants about how he's not a nostalgia act and so on.

When Adore was released he said the fans who weren't buying the album lacked faith and confidence in the band and that they aren't fans at all if that's the case. It was at that point he grew resentful towards other successful people as well. He figured if the Pumpkins can donate millions to charity from their tour then all celebrities who are making a lot of money should do the same.

I'm not sure where he got the idea others don't donate though. He seemed to think he was cutting edge and doing what no one else does, which was donate.

Odd guy.

He was rightfully resentful. When I last saw the pumpkins he was getting booed for playing new music (songs that have yet to feature on any album), because people were bored. I don't think that's grounds for booing. I think the problem is that there's a serious fractioning between the mainstream audience who goes to a show to hear the radio hits, and the hardcore fanbase.

Obviously, you can't please both. (Although he tried. 1979, Cherub, Zero, Disarm, Landslide, etc.)

I fall into neither of the above categories, as I am only a casual fan. But I felt that some of the new material (Song for a Son, Gossamer, etc.) fits right up there with the best moments of Siamese or Mellon Collie. Unfamiliarity is not a reason to boo, especially with the level of performance of the band he'd had supporting him.

um. you can please both. its called playing mostly old shit and then introducing your new stuff gradually. its also called. common sense. no one is saying he shouldnt play the new stuff, just that the amount he was playing was far too great.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

This is an old discussion and we established that they were playing a good mix. They weren't shoving the new material down anyones throat. The problem is you can't control how your fans react to your performance.

He was not "rightfully resentful". He's a fucking artist and if he doesn't like reactions he shouldn't play live.

old school

I didn't like the Zwan record very much but they were really great when I saw them live. I assumed Zwan was going to stay for awhile and at least make a second album. When he immediately went back to Smashing Pumpkins and started being a complete douche is when I tuned out.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    I didn't like the Zwan record very much but they were really great when I saw them live. I assumed Zwan was going to stay for awhile and at least make a second album. When he immediately went back to Smashing Pumpkins and started being a complete douche is when I tuned out.
    But he didn't immediately go back to SP after Zwan.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    First of all, sorry if you saw this thread bumped and thought there were new tour dates announced.

I just didn't want to make a new thread for this, but if you haven't cringed or felt sorry for someone recently, here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYcyt8FPlg
    hahaha

old school

we would all be lucky if billy decided to grace us with his presence at coachella. he is one of the greatest musicians of our time.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    But he didn't immediately go back to SP after Zwan.
    honestly i like that zwan record. i wish theyd put out a second one. i know the material is there.

I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    This is an old discussion and we established that they were playing a good mix. They weren't shoving the new material down anyones throat. The problem is you can't control how your fans react to your performance.

He was not "rightfully resentful". He's a fucking artist and if he doesn't like reactions he shouldn't play live.
    Um, who established? Cause when I saw them in 2007 the setlist was fucking terrible and I wish he'd gotten booed more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Um, who established? Cause when I saw them in 2007 the setlist was fucking terrible and I wish he'd gotten booed more.
    this^^

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    adore is probably my favorite too
    Yup, great, underrated album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins

New song, "Widow Wake My Mind."

I know, yada yada, no one cares, save it.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

the song sounds like a zwan outtake. not too impressed with these first two songs, especially since his solo gigs in California in August were phenomenal. But I guess with 42 songs left, we shall see.

yeah Widow Wake My Mind was horrible lol
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    the song sounds like a zwan outtake. not too impressed with these first two songs, especially since his solo gigs in California in August were phenomenal. But I guess with 42 songs left, we shall see.
    i thought it sounded zwan-y as well

New SP song released yesterday, called "A Stitch in Time." This was one my faves when Billy debuted them last August at those CA shows and I think it turned out well....def better that the first 2 songs released/

new article from billy proving only more that he's completely gone off the deep end.

Here are the first two sentences of Rolling Stone’s first Billy Corgan feature in a decade:

Unless you count what he’s done to his career, Billy Corgan has never attempted suicide. Until recently, there were plenty of mornings when he’d wake up to a stark choice: “Go eat breakfast, or go kill yourself.”

When Rolling Stone’s Brian Hiatt met with Corgan in Los Angeles in early February, the Smashing Pumpkins founder had a lot to say about a very rough 10 years. “There’s a lot of days where you feel forgotten,” Corgan says at one point. In a soul-baring, wide-ranging interview, Corgan discusses the idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs that saved him from suicidal depression (including his association with a vintage hippie cult called Source Family); opens up for the first time about his 2009 split with drummer Jimmy Chamberlin (Corgan says he fired him); reveals his father’s heroin addiction (his dad was arrested two years ago with a needle still in his arm); says that he “loves” Jessica Simpson; and much more. For the full feature, see our new issue, on sale now — in the meantime, here are a few highlights:

Corgan on His Critics:
    “Do I belong in the conversation about the best artists in the world? My answer is yes, I do,” he says. “I’ve been too productive for too long, and despite what anybody wants to strip away from me, I am influential. I am. So all the Pitchforks in the world can try to strip me of every ounce of dignity, but I belong.”

On the Pumpkins’ Breakup:
    “Rather than break up the band, what I should have done is chuck James [Iha] out,” Corgan says. “I should have just said to Jimmy [Chamberlin], ‘You go to rehab, and we’ll continue, and James, get the fuck out of here.’ Instead, I fell on my sword for James, for what I thought was a friend.”

On His Spiritual Beliefs:
    Corgan subscribes to the fashionable idea that we’re building to a cataclysm, or at least a major vibrational shift, in 2012; he wonders what was really in the H1N1 vaccine; he fears that the United States is headed toward a Soviet Union-style economic collapse… But when pressed on details, he backs off: “I don’t want to be a dead hero,” he says.

On “Loving” Jessica Simpson:
    “If I go, ‘Oh, we’re just friends,’ then it’s like, ‘Did they go out, did he dump her or she dump him, what happened?’ It has nothing to do with any of that. Sometimes people just like being around each other, and good things come out of that. My goal in life is to love whoever I think is worth loving, and I think if people knew her like I knew her, they would love her like I do. It’s really simple.”
    he fired jimmy? thats fucking dumb

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Jimmy is what made the Pumpkins sound like the Pumpkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I heard Jimmy quit.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Depends on who you ask apparently.
    last.fm

Billy is fucking out of his mind. I'm sorry, but even if he thinks he is in a good place, he's lost it.

Billy's just saying he fired him now to sound better. Jimmy knew his time was up. And yeah, no one can replicate Jimmy's sound.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I am now listening to Mellon Collie.

1995. Those were the days.
    last.fm

vinylmartyr

I bet he's doing a bunch of coke now.

Apparently it took Rolling Stone 15 years to tap back into what people want to read again, because I'd actually sit down with that article. They should just give Billy Corgan a weekly or monthly guest column. They're already a parody rag, but at least this would be continually entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post

Those first three albums are so good. It's amazing how they ate it after that.

The aeroplane flies high, turns left looks right.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post

"Here Is Know Why" is one of my favorite songs out of their entire catalog. That song's the fucking JAM.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Those first three albums are so good. It's amazing how they ate it after that.
    We disagree but thats ok.
    last.fm