Page 450 of 505 FirstFirst ... 445446447448449450451452453454455 ... LastLast
Results 13,471 to 13,500 of 15132

Thread: Blackswan's thread about secret stuff we pretend doesnt exist & shouldn't talk about

Default Re: Blackswan's thread about secret stuff we pretend doesnt exist & shouldn't talk ab

It's my first ever freeleech, and damn does it feel good. I cleared out my bookmarks, got all the shit I didn't have off the Wire's 50 Albums of 2012 and FACT's top reissues of 2012 (and that damned Pauline Oliveros box). Anyone have any recs for box sets or big downloads in general I should grab? Especially old soul, rock & roll, disco, techno, experimental, avant-garde shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Blackswan's thread about secret stuff we pretend doesnt exist & shouldn't talk ab

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Tegan and Sara leak yet?
    It doesn't come out until February 20, so i'd still give it a few more weeks.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

What is a freeleech?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

freeleech allows you to download as much as you like without having to worry about seeding.keeping up your ratio
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Thanks for the recs. I missed this when you first posted it, so I guess I'll just have to bookmark it for next time (unless all my shit finishes before fl is over).

The year in ugly album covers has begun!

Low - The Invisible Way

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    What is a freeleech?

Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat

Very nice.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

The year in ugly album covers has begun!
    That isn't the real album cover. This is: lowcvr-373aabef53d7158668e3fbc185d79d52f9353eab-s1.jpg

That's good. That other cover reminded me of this:

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Christopher Owens - Lysandre

Somebody should have told him his hair is in his face

old school

50 tokens & picks; hooray!

oh my, so excited! can someone please group it?

All the freeleech tokens expire in a month, including ones awarded before today. I have to use 70 tokens in 30 days, there better be some awesome stuff leaking this month. Oh, the things I have to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmusicfan View Post
    All the freeleech tokens expire in a month, including ones awarded before today. I have to use 70 tokens in 30 days, there better be some awesome stuff leaking this month. Oh, the things I have to endure.
    Right, because there is nothing else worthwhile on that site to download besides 2013 leaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Exactly. Obviously (or maybe it wasn't), this was an attempt at humor. Seriously, though, during freeleech and the token thing, sometimes my brain totally freezes trying to come up with things I legitimately want.

That's why collages exist.

The Coachella lineup will drop within the next 3 weeks. Use them for that
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Great suggestion, hopefully the lineup is announced within the time frame....
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Oh, yeah, collages help, as do year end lists, reviews, festival lineups, and the like. Another part of it, maybe, is the fact that 15 or so years of having internet and file sharing, coupled with a huge appetite for new music has exposed me to the bulk of the artists that I was always curious about pre-instant (and usually free) everything. By no means am I saying that I know or have heard everything (or much, really), but 25 years ago if I was given free reign in a record shop, which is essentially what I have now, I couldn't imagine having to think hard about what else I want to check out. I have run through most of the discographies, labels, and side projects that I know I'm interested in. New releases or "the leaks" that I joked about above are a huge part of what I'm interested in at this point.

Branch out into a new genre of music you've never really explored before.

The festival lineup suggestion is a great one, by the way. I just gathered up 5 gbs. of research on the Savannah Stopover artists, which takes place about 20 mins. from my house.

Also, the young'uns thread is a fantastic place to find ideas of what new bands to get into.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

FMF has impeccable taste from what I've seen and he does tend to know a wide variety of stuff.

T, check out a bunch of Turkish psych, tropicalia, ethiopian folk jazz and gamelan. That shit's killer, super trippy and vastly underheard. Grab the whole Ethiopiques series and go buck wild.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Can you narrow that rec down to a few notable artists and albums, bmack?

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Turkish Psych:

Erkin Koray - Elektronic Turkular and the first s/t release
    Barış Manšo - 2023
    Cem Karaca - Merhaba Genšler Ve Her Zaman Genš Kalanlar

Tropicalia

Os Mutantes - the first three albums, especially the self-titled
    Caetano Veloso - The first three albums, especially the one with the psychedelic cover
    Gilberto Gil - The first three albums, especially the one with the psychedelic cover and Os Mutantes as the partial backing band
    Tom Ze - Estudando o Samba
    Jorge Ben y Gilberto Gil - Gil e Jorge

Ethiopian Jazz

The ethiopiques series is the best way to introduce yourself. If you want to start somewhere, my favorite intro is:
    Ethiopiques No. 4
    And anything by Mulatu AstatqÚ

As far as Gamelan, if you find old school field recordings, you'll be solid.

Also, extraordinarily highly recommended would be the Harry Smith Anthology of American Folk Music vols. 1-6 and American Primitive Vol. 2: Pre-War Revenants, two incredible collections of early delta blues, American folk and generally unquieting music with tons of heart. The Pre-War Revenants collection is focused solely on musicians who made great recordings that necessarily speak for themselves, as all other information about the artists has been lost to time. Geeshie Wiley will fucking floor you.

Finally, pillage the John Fahey and Jack Rose catalogs. Check out Rose's work in Pelt, and Fahey's curation of the early Takoma label.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Holy shit, thank you!

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Turkish Psych:

Erkin Koray - Elektronic Turkular and the first s/t release
    Barış Manšo - 2023
    Cem Karaca - Merhaba Genšler Ve Her Zaman Genš Kalanlar

Tropicalia

Os Mutantes - the first three albums, especially the self-titled
    Caetano Veloso - The first three albums, especially the one with the psychedelic cover
    Gilberto Gil - The first three albums, especially the one with the psychedelic cover and Os Mutantes as the partial backing band
    Tom Ze - Estudando o Samba
    Jorge Ben y Gilberto Gil - Gil e Jorge

Ethiopian Jazz

The ethiopiques series is the best way to introduce yourself. If you want to start somewhere, my favorite intro is:
    Ethiopiques No. 4
    And anything by Mulatu AstatqÚ

As far as Gamelan, if you find old school field recordings, you'll be solid.

Also, extraordinarily highly recommended would be the Harry Smith Anthology of American Folk Music vols. 1-6 and American Primitive Vol. 2: Pre-War Revenants, two incredible collections of early delta blues, American folk and generally unquieting music with tons of heart. The Pre-War Revenants collection is focused solely on musicians who made great recordings that necessarily speak for themselves, as all other information about the artists has been lost to time. Geeshie Wiley will fucking floor you.

Finally, pillage the John Fahey and Jack Rose catalogs. Check out Rose's work in Pelt, and Fahey's curation of the early Takoma label.
    This is an amazing post, making sure this makes it to the next page. Thank you.